[Twine] [Patreon] Empire of Corruption

Athenasko

Sep 16, 2020
First off, I'd like to say I really like this game so far. I spent most of the day playing it and I'd get to a point where I thought the content would finish, and lo-and-behold a whole knew chapter started!

I'm excited to see where this goes. I do hope you can take Vargus' offer of becoming his whore and reverse it, turning him into your own whore. I'm also excited to see where these partnerships all lead as the main character really gets all the

I also don't know if this bug was reported, but at some point in chapter 3, I talked to Seni on the curbside before I had finished signing the deed to the Black Rose, and somehow I ended up in the Black Rose building and doing the management tutorial and spending gold on upgrades. Thankfully, once I actually unlocked it much later, the upgrades stayed. But it was very confusing in the moment.

EDIT: Though it does seem you're making a new version. Well I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Sitribella

Jan 22, 2020
Thank you so much! And ooh, I'm presently working out a lot of the logic and possible routes for the new chapter, and subverting Vargas like that hadn't occurred to me -- I'll see if I can fit that in. :)

The new version is coming along smoothly; it's an absolute ton of foundational work, but once I get it done, I should be able to (relatively) quickly get all the old content added in and supplemented with all-new material and scenes. Then we'll be steaming forward with the storyline!

Vahn98

Sep 21, 2020
Hi there! Loving the game so far, but I think I hit a roadblock? I progressed to chapter 2, apparently, and got the brothel, but I can't figure out how to actually get to my brothel? None of the areas have the prompt to go there, the only thing that gets me there is repeating the tutorial from Sani. And no, I did not use cheats!

EDIT: Okay, so I unlocked the Black Rose, and can reach the courtyard... but no prompt to go inside the building itself? I'm in Chapter 3 now.

Last edited:

Sitribella

Jan 22, 2020
Hmm, have you used the "home" command at the bottom of the screen? I know there's an issue with using the route from Salt Street, that I need to fix up.

Reactions: S0m3m0n

Sitribella

Jan 22, 2020
This week's development update: art! You can see a preview over at https://www.patreon.com/posts/surprise-new-art-41897080.

Okay, so the original plan was to hold off on reinvesting the subscriber proceeds into art until we hit $500/month. That said, I strongly believe that Empire of Corruption needs to look its best in order to grow as a project. So I conducted a search, found some super-talented folks, and brought them on board.

At the link, you'll find a little preview of what's in the pipeline. The Corrupted Dryad, drawn by the wonderful Solaice, is one of the new foes you'll encounter in the revised sewer zone. On a search for exotic flora, she became enchanted -- and deeply intoxicated -- by the hallucinogenic mushrooms that grow beneath the city streets. She wants to share them with you. And she's not going to take 'no' for an answer.

Of course, art takes time, and since we're not that far from the first playable preview build you should expect a lot of silhouettes and placeholders. Bit by bit, character by character, we'll get it all filled in. (And for those who want a pure text-based experience, an option to toggle graphics on and off is already in place in the new options menu.)

Some good progress was made this week. After finalizing the conversation interface and working the bugs out, I implemented all of Jellica's initial conversation options and all of the setup for the revised tutorial quest, as well as the pre-adventure loadout screens (the game stores the abilities and gear you last used; you can keep them with a single click, or go to a menu that shows all of your unlocked abilities, letting you easily change them out if you know you're going to need some particular talents for the upcoming quest.)

The game now recognizes what adventure you're on, displays intro text, and picks from an appropriate pool of encounters. The combat GUI is pretty much done but needs tweaking. My challenge for this week is to finish the core combat "loop," and get fights working from start to finish.

Reactions: S0m3m0n

Sitribella

Jan 22, 2020
This is a big one! (That's what she said. Sorry, not sorry.) A new development update, with a screenshot over at https://www.patreon.com/posts/42523826

I've been building the combat framework, and the essentials are in and functioning. And now I can share the secret I was holding back earlier (at least until I made sure I could get it in and working properly): unlike the Twine version of the game, battles in the new version of Empire of Corruption are three versus three. You're getting a party!

I spent a ton of time hashing out ways to make battles more fun and involving, and kept coming back to the idea of group engagements. You'll have access to a steadily growing roster of companions to take with you on adventures, and a pool of companion experience that you can use to level them up alongside you.

As companions grow, each will eventually unlock a pair of special abilities unique to that character. Some might make them stronger against particular kinds of opponents, or adept at getting you out of tough situations. For example, Seni can boost your morale and banish fear effects. Valoris can perform a dance to (cough) distract the enemy party, while Keltra's Pack Alpha power has her jump in front of you, boosting her offense and your defense.

(For the newbie quest, you'll be rolling with a pair of clockwork ratters that Jellica needs to have field-tested. They have broken brains, bad attitudes, and as Jellica puts it: "High-power thrusting drills designed for maximum impact." They just look like dildos. Yes, she built them herself.)

Your companions automatically make a melee attack each round (though they choose their own targets), so you can use support/defensive powers and still damage the enemy team. Your goal is to take out the enemy leader: if they fall, their two supporters will flee. That said, supporters often come with powerful abilities and it might be in your interest to burn them down first and quickly.

By way of example, one of the early ideas in my new design concept was a summoner who can appear with any two out of four possible elemental spirits in tow. Fire elementals that can unleash heavy damage-over-time effects, water elementals that can heal the enemy team, and so on -- and your strategy might radically change based on the enemy party's composition. In theory, this should keep fights fresh and varied even if you adventure in the same area for a while.

Combat is currently in and functional, to the extent that you can battle a random enemy party from start to finish using basic melee, and I've squashed every bug in sight. I still need to code special weapon attacks and implement/test status effects, but the hardest work is done. Next up on the to-do list is the post-combat wrap-up, from treasure tables to victory/defeat sex scenes.

This is a good time to update you on the development schedule. Originally I was going to wait until I had all the original chapter one content implemented. However, since building the basic framework has been such a huge job and I want to get this game into your hands quicker, I'm splitting that into two parts. The first alpha release will feature the introductory quest: you'll be able to make a character, explore town, and experience an adventure with combat from start to finish. The second alpha release will include the rest of chapter one, including Seni's full recruitment quest, and meeting Valoris and Juniper, plus some new surprises.

(Besides letting you play sooner, your feedback will be a ton of help with the inevitable game-balance tweaking and making sure everything is, you know, fun. Fun is important.) From there we'll launch into a considerably expanded chapter two. All the foundations are falling into place!

Grimnir

Mar 19, 2018
I got a bug where when talking to one of my prostitutes (happened with Seni and Valoris), I couldn't leave. I was stuck on the page where it has "You can check in on how Valoris is doing, get her thoughts on the other girls, or you can collect your earnings".
I think it was caused by looking at management while talking to them, though I can't be sure.

S0m3m0n

Aug 27, 2020
I got a bug where when talking to one of my prostitutes (happened with Seni and Valoris), I couldn't leave. I was stuck on the page where it has "You can check in on how Valoris is doing, get her thoughts on the other girls, or you can collect your earnings".
I think it was caused by looking at management while talking to them, though I can't be sure.
That's happened to me before too. I solved it by making them work the streets if you switched them to rest while talking to them. Maybe try doing that?

RhapsodicHotshot

Jul 7, 2018
I really enjoyed this game. I like the story, the goal that the character has, the fact that I can customize my character at the start (especially that the genitals can be different to the appearence).

Now I have a few suggestions that you may like to read.
1. This is probably the most important thing I'd like to see in the game: varietions in the sex scenes. What I mean is something similar to TiTs or CoC, were descriptions or entire paragraphs change depending on yourself (sexual equipment, size, cum output, etc). Some varietion on random enemies, would be good, not every brigand I defeat has a big cock and maybe some more precise descriptions on some things. For example Allison has a massive cock (what does massive mean?) for me it may be anything bigger that 12 inches and for someone else it may be 16 inches. The MC shouldn't be surprised by futas if they themselves are a futa, or big cocks when they have a big cock.

2. For some reason when you mentioned "armoured courtesans" my mind went to Isabella Von Cartstein's armored corset. So I hope we will be able to get our hands on some good tier noble clothes later on. The clothes (in ver 4.5) are either for masculine characters (Brendan) or make you look like a slut (Allison). Maybe add a couple of feminine clothes aswell.

3. Lust has been mentioned before but I'll make a small suggestion. Either remove the restriction, lower it, make lust buiild up faster or add some random events (like watching someone fuck a whore in the alley), when walking down the street, to increase it.

4. I searched this game on F95zone and I couldn't find it. I'm guessing you have not posted it there. You may want to post it there as well since it's a big site (I think) and you may get a lot of patreons. Your game has a lot of content and I believe many people will enjoy it.

Otherwise, keep up the good work.

Sitribella

Jan 22, 2020
Hey, Grimnir! Sorry I was slow in responding -- for some reason I didn't get a notification that the thread had responses when I usually do; I'll check my email settings to make sure they're not getting rerouted to my spam or something, and I'll watch closer in future.

RhapsodicHotshot, same, sorry for the delay. I love your suggestions! Variations in sex scenes are 100% in the plan for the new version of the game. More clothing variations are in the cards, and I'll make sure to get someone who can sell noble clothes in there (that's my preference too). Lust is being 100% reworked in the new version; it has a lot more uses, ones that can aid and/or hinder you, and plays more of a role. I'm aware of F95zone but I'm waiting until the new build goes live to post it there, since it's going to be so different (in a good way, hopefully!) from the Twine version, be a more fully-fleshed-out RPG, and I think it'll do better if I hold off until I have a playable build to share.

On that note, I just put up a development update. There is a new art preview at https://www.patreon.com/posts/42966016 BUT I had to put it behind the subscriber paywall because Patreon's automated system "detected possible nudity or adult content" and warned me that my account could be in trouble if I posted it openly like the last string of updates. (She's wearing a bikini, FFS, but I wasn't going to risk it knowing how quickly Patreon shuts down adult games.) Here's the rest of the update:

The original Twine version of the game featured a couple of demonic foes, but without much in the way of backstory or setting. Now demons are their own faction, and the denizens of the Layer of Lust have flocked to the region to discover the truth behind an enduring mystery: why the heck is everyone on Carnis Island so heckin' horny all the time?! They know they didn't do it, yet this is a place where if you beat someone in a fight you get to have your way with them and everybody seems pretty much okay with this. Sex-demons hate competition.

So, while some demons have arrived to satisfy their own desires, others are on official research missions, to identify and unravel the strands of strange magic boiling up from the island's depths. If you cross their path, they'll want to study you, too. They'll want to study you until you drop from exhaustion. And then some.

In development news, this week I'm away from home, taking care of a friend who just had surgery (nothing bad, she's recovering great, but she's not supposed to lift anything heavy or do much but rest for a bit so I'm lending a hand.) I figured this would be a great chance to work with the new build on my travel laptop and make sure it ports between computer specs/monitor sizes with flying colors.

It...did not. It looked like garbage on my laptop, with text overlapping and not scaling properly; it was playable, but not pleasant. The good news is, some deep forum dives later, I figured out exactly what I did wrong and how to fix it. It's going to take a few days of GUI tweaking to get everything right, but the end result will be a better looking game. Also, the process gave me some ideas for making it play nice on mobile; a mobile port still won't be in the first builds, because it's going to take a ton of work, but I'm not ruling it out.

Meanwhile I'm finishing the combat system, implementing all 15 of the basic weapon attacks so that you'll be able to grab the weapon class of your choice and take it for a test drive. And find the absolutely inevitable bugs. I'm doing my best to squash as many as I can, though!

mikeyw_

Sep 14, 2015
There has been a while since the last update or any post at all. I hope this game is not dead, its quite good.

I've just checked out their patreon, updates seem steady on there but it appears to be a complete graphical overhaul from what the game was before. I imagine that's why there's nothing new available to the public yet.

Diarmait

Nov 3, 2015
I've just checked out their patreon, updates seem steady on there but it appears to be a complete graphical overhaul from what the game was before. I imagine that's why there's nothing new available to the public yet.

I could have sworn they said they were changing engines, which would probably be the main graphical overhaul. But I haven't kept up with any Patreon page sadly, so not 100% sure what else is changed.