Trials in Tainted Space: The Soundtrack

Miakoda

Nov 4, 2017
Somewhere Somehow
forum.fenoxo.com
So, in case you didn't already know by glancing at my profile when you jumped into this conversation, I am relatively new to Trials in Tainted Space. For a good while, I have been avoiding text-based RPG's just because of their simplicity; when I think of an RPG I think of rich worlds with characters that you can identify with, not an excess of reading. However, this games opened my eyes to the genre. Trials is an immensely fun and immersive world, largely due to the fact that there is very little visual guidance; the world is yours to view as you want within the borders given by the text.
However, as I've been playing Trials in Tainted Space, one thing has been bothering me constantly. Namely, the game has no sound. And while I can easily just put up a tune from my music library, it doesn't give the same feeling as an OST does considering I can listen to my iTunes playlist wherever, whenever.

So, TL;DR, I like the game and I'm wondering if there are plans for an OST for the game, and if so, who will be composing the music. Any light shed on this situation would be most appreciated.

SoAndSo

Scientist
Creator
Mar 26, 2017
I'm not 100% sure on this situation but to my understanding....

It's not really feasible to implement in TiTS without it being a huge drain on load times and file size. In vidja games, audio often gets the shaft because it's a huge drain on disc sizes and resources to implement and even text games have their problems.

Now say if there was enough demand for a MIDI-style or 8-bit sound track with tiny filesizes and logically feasible implementation, I'd be happy to oblige cuz I do music on a semi-pro level myself but iunno, I've no idea if it'd be high on the list of things for Fen to manage.

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
A soundtrack would ruin one's focus on actually reading the game depending on what it is.
If you're like some people, like me, music would rather have me distracted and focused on listening to the music rather than actually reading the text because I have a squirrel's attention span. I rarely if ever listen to music while actually READING something, not just skimming it. Plus I'm pretty sure this music thing has been brought up before and shot down.
And either way, this is a text game, it's like reading a book. You wouldn't hear music as soon as you open an actual book would you? You have to actively be listening to music from other sources (Radio, internet, MP3 Player, ITunes, and whathaveyou, like you said) to listen while reading.

I'd honestly hate for music to be in the game, due to my squirrel's attention span, plus, imagine if the music playing was some jumpy techno shit, that can ruin anyone's focus. Don't you think it would get annoying after a while?

Reactions: ShySquare

Miakoda

Nov 4, 2017
Somewhere Somehow
forum.fenoxo.com
I see. I don't know all too much about coding a game and things of the likes, so I had just assumed that composing had gotten the backseat over finishing the core content of the game, which in it of itself is an understandable decision.
In that case, I may have another proposition. After TiTS surprised me with its enjoyable content, I ventured back to the internet to see if there were other notable text-based RPG. While on this search, I stumbled upon a cutesy little game called "My Very Own Lith". While that game is not nearly as big as Trials in Tainted Space already is, one feature that drew me in was that every click of a button was met with a gentle piano tone. While this wasn't a fully fledged soundtrack, these simple tones gave an enjoyable atmosphere to the game, so much so that I refused to play my own music as it would do the game a disservice. Perhaps this would fit the game better, both in atmosphere and file size.
I shall link the game so you may have some reference material: https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/669745