TiTS Theories, Hypotheses, Shower Thoughts, and Tinfoil Hat Nonsense!

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
If you're anything like me, first of all, I'm sorry, and second of all, you likely have an overactive imagination that spawns equal amounts of surprisingly intuitive ideas and utterly incoherent nonsense on a regular basis.

Well, if you've had some of either or both that happen to be TiTS related, and want others to join in your pondering and/or suffering, then look no further!

From crackpot theories to wild guesses to well thought out speculation, and no matter how crazy, random, or just plain stupid they may be, slap your mental white noise in here and let's see where the ride takes it!

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
Ok, so, I've actually put a decent amount of thought into this one.

Anyone else find it kinda odd how the black void are already so well established in the rush? They literally have an entire base built on Myrellion (or was it its moon? I can't remember), a planet which was only just discovered not too long before Steeles adventure begins.

And then you've got Zheng Shi, which rivals Tavros in terms of scale and sophistication. (I don't actually know if the void are involved with Zhang Shi at all, so sorry if I'm being the big dumb here. I have barely done any zheng shi content so pls put any spoilers to what's to come in, we'll, spoilers. I want to go in fresh! Thank you!)

Well, I think the void somehow managed to get access to a warp gate early, or maybe even get their very own, or something, and that's how they've been able to keep pace out in the rush with an entire galactic governance.

Maybe they paid someone off? Maybe they have someone on the inside? Maybe they kidnapped a scientist and made them built on? Who knows?

Point is, the void have some manner of getting out into the fringes of known space, and en masse as well.

But why?

I think they're planning something. Something massive. Something that could put them at even odds with the entire UGC, and maybe even the whole galaxy.

That's my sensible theory. Now for my crackpot one. Ok, it's not really a theory, more just a wild guess that I think sounds cool.

I think the top dog of the black void may be some kind of super powerful psionic. Like, stupidly powerful. Strong enough that she's the reason the void are so organized, cuz all the other head honchos are so terrified of her.

I think she may be able to do stuff kinda like Fens bull oc. Able to change other organisms and mold them and their minds like clay just by being near them.

I also think maybe she spearheaded the voids excursions into the fringes, but went too far and ended up in the middle of Tainted Space, which is what gave her her crazy powers, but also fucked up her mind too.

And now she's trying to figure out a way to utilize Tainted Space to essentially start her own empire in the galaxy, one who's population she can change and shift on a whim like a God.

Probably a crock of shit, I know, but it sounds cool as hell, ya gotta admit!

Anyway, lemme know what yall think, and don't be afraid to share your own crazy thoughts!

coffee with milk

May 5, 2021
There are a lot of creatures in tainted space that have latent psionic powers. Huge, mysterious space creatures. Almost Lovecraftian in design. Almost a cosmic entity.

It makes me wonder if there's a limit to psionics. Could something or someone become godlike?

Lol, here's a bad end. What if, when Steele gets psionics somehow (perhaps bestowed upon them by an ancient entity) they can become too powerful too quickly and their fleshy cage mutates like that scene in Akira. I mean, humans weren't meant to have psionic powers. Something going wrong is a possible outcome.

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
The Black Void is a huge, organized faction. They are essentially a nation unto themselves from what I understand.

Reactions: Lone Wolf115

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
The Black Void is a huge, organized faction. They are essentially a nation unto themselves from what I understand.
That still doesn't explain exactly how they managed to keep pace with the UGC and yet go almost totally unnoticed by most rushers.

Again, base on Myrellion/s moon.

It just doesn't add up for me.

Even if they had people high in the UGC echelons, it just doesn't make sense for them to basically have built an entire underground society right under the noses of the rushers, who are likely comprised of some of the biggest badasses the galaxy has ever seen.

The only explanation I can really think of is that the void was in Rush Space long before the rush even officially began.

Think about it. Why wouldn't the black void try and do that, especiallyif they have so many resources as you've described? They'd have an entire section of the galaxy all to themselves.

The hardest part would be not going all hog wild so as to avoid detection when the rushes do eventually catch up to them.

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
It makes me wonder if there's a limit to psionics. Could something or someone become godlike?
Who knows? We barely know anything about TiTSverse psionics. As far as I know only like 1 character has even been shown to possess them, that Zaalt guy, I think his name is. The sky is the limit here at this point, honestly.

Lol, here's a bad end. What if, when Steele gets psionics somehow (perhaps bestowed upon them by an ancient entity) they can become too powerful too quickly and their fleshy cage mutates like that scene in Akira. I mean, humans weren't meant to have psionic powers. Something going wrong is a possible outcome.

Again, who knows? And I don't even want to think about what would happen when you mix Psionics with heavy amounts of Taint. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the result is some Chaos Spawn monstrosity.

TheShepard256

(stuff about the Black Void)
The Black Void are not only well-established, but old:
Shade said:
As far as she’s told me, Amara’s the granddaughter of one of the Void’s founders. Aldus or Aedus or something like that. Real big badass from centuries ago, made a fortune in the early Rushes. Practically established his own empire, the way Amara tells it.
As for them having a base on Myrellion, I think you're right that they couldn't establish a proper base in the timeframe since the planet was discovered, but my conclusion is different: the base is mostly prefabricated, and the underground parts of the base (e.g. the sewers and laboratory) were built into already existing underground spaces. These would significantly reduce the time it would take to set up their operations.
I think they're planning something. Something massive. Something that could put them at even odds with the entire UGC, and maybe even the whole galaxy.
The only explanation I can really think of is that the void was in Rush Space long before the rush even officially began.

Think about it. Why wouldn't the black void try and do that, especiallyif they have so many resources as you've described? They'd have an entire section of the galaxy all to themselves.

The hardest part would be not going all hog wild so as to avoid detection when the rushes do eventually catch up to them.
Black Void Codex entry said:
In the core worlds, the Void has a strong influence in vice to this day, though not as strong as it once was. With millions of worlds, even the largest organizations must give way to local syndicates and crime lords, though many pay “respects” to the Black Void. The area where the Void most excels, as far as core-world crime goes, is slavery: most crime groups refuse to deal in it, or don’t have the resources to manage a full slaver ring, but the Void dominates the market. While the pirates capture slaves on the fringe, the prisoners are cataloged and shipped to the core, where they’re sold in underground dens, usually as deep-space laborers or as pleasure slaves.
I think they're just a professional, business-like criminal empire who are concerned with power only as far as it helps them make a profit and out-compete their rivals. I don't think they want to rule anything more than the criminal underworld. Even if they could, why would they? Their entire MO relies on stuff being illegal, and being an official government would a) defeat the point of doing illegal stuff, b) present an easy target for the UGC, and c) likely not be profitable enough.
I think the top dog of the black void may be some kind of super powerful psionic. Like, stupidly powerful. Strong enough that she's the reason the void are so organized, cuz all the other head honchos are so terrified of her.
Actually, Watson's the reason they're so organised. From what we know of Void politics, the Dread Lords are the highest-ranking members and they seem to run mostly separate operations; Watson's job is to make sure those operations don't interfere with each other. I think there's also been hints that Amara and Bragga are rivals; in fact, I kind of expect that they'll eventually outright attack each other and Steele will have the option to side with one or neither of them.
And then you've got Zheng Shi, which rivals Tavros in terms of scale and sophistication. (I don't actually know if the void are involved with Zhang Shi at all, so sorry if I'm being the big dumb here. I have barely done any zheng shi content so pls put any spoilers to what's to come in, we'll, spoilers. I want to go in fresh! Thank you!)
They're not involved with Zheng Shi at all; in fact, the various gangs who populate the station all hate them.

Who knows? We barely know anything about TiTSverse psionics. As far as I know only like 1 character has even been shown to possess them, that Zaalt guy, I think his name is. The sky is the limit here at this point, honestly.
There are multiple characters with psionics, most of them being slyveren, frostwyrms, lurelings (who are all psykers as racial traits) or milodans (some but not all of whom are psykers). Synphia has aptitudes for almost all psionic powers, and her full list (and their corresponding colours, plus some quotes, pulled from the code) is as follows:
  • Black - Energy absorption, either as a means of defending against energy attacks or defeating foes by sucking the very heat from their flesh. ("handling live wires is a helluva party trick")
  • Purple - Spatial manip. Can’t make portals but can make small things seem +/-20% bigger for a few seconds.
  • Blue - self-augmentation ("I’m essentially feeding psychic power into my own body for extra energy and maybe even a little bit of extra durability, but I’m not gonna start whacking myself with hammers to test it.")
  • Green - Healing and bodily adjustment. Limited. Changing someone permanently exhausts her, and she needs cum. ("I could even reshape bodies a little bit, though the one time I tapped that power I damn near put myself in a coma. Totally worth it to graduate to C-cup.")
  • Yellow - Sensory enhancement. 10’ clairvoyance. ("feel how the wires on the other side of a bulkhead are arranged, and so much more!")
  • Orange - Limited Time Control - can only change her perception of time’s flow to be longer/shorter.
  • Red - Energy creation - Capable of making small electric shocks or powering an LED or lightbulb
  • Pink - Weak Mind Control, mostly just altering sensory input slightly. Overpowering any resistance is supremely draining for her. ("Pink’s basically telepathy. I could do more with if it, if I were the nefarious type, but I’d have to be an idiot to get caught dabbling in mind control when I’ve got a gig this sweet.")
  • White - Recharging/Cooldown. No powers save for touch-range telepathy. Vulnerable.
The Star Vipers also have some form of hypnosis/mind-control-like powers, but they can all be resisted with sufficiently high Willpower. Frostwyrms use their psionics to communicate, generate a shield, attack, arouse and drain some stats; the latter two (like the hypnosis mentioned above) are resistible with sufficiently high Willpower. Lurelings use their psionics to mentally bond with and probably control their marions, though it's a one-to-one connection (so one lureling can't control more than one marion) and predominantly affects weak-willed and psionically vulnerable essyras.

I'd say these serve as a good indicator of the kind of stuff that's possible with psionics, so no crazy things like teleportation, time travel, spontaneous matter creation or instant, irresistible mind control.

coffee with milk

May 5, 2021
There are multiple characters with psionics, most of them being slyveren, frostwyrms, lurelings (who are all psykers as racial traits) or milodans (some but not all of whom are psykers). Synphia has aptitudes for almost all psionic powers, and her full list (and their corresponding colours, plus some quotes, pulled from the code) is as follows:
  • Black - Energy absorption, either as a means of defending against energy attacks or defeating foes by sucking the very heat from their flesh. ("handling live wires is a helluva party trick")
  • Purple - Spatial manip. Can’t make portals but can make small things seem +/-20% bigger for a few seconds.
  • Blue - self-augmentation ("I’m essentially feeding psychic power into my own body for extra energy and maybe even a little bit of extra durability, but I’m not gonna start whacking myself with hammers to test it.")
  • Green - Healing and bodily adjustment. Limited. Changing someone permanently exhausts her, and she needs cum. ("I could even reshape bodies a little bit, though the one time I tapped that power I damn near put myself in a coma. Totally worth it to graduate to C-cup.")
  • Yellow - Sensory enhancement. 10’ clairvoyance. ("feel how the wires on the other side of a bulkhead are arranged, and so much more!")
  • Orange - Limited Time Control - can only change her perception of time’s flow to be longer/shorter.
  • Red - Energy creation - Capable of making small electric shocks or powering an LED or lightbulb
  • Pink - Weak Mind Control, mostly just altering sensory input slightly. Overpowering any resistance is supremely draining for her. ("Pink’s basically telepathy. I could do more with if it, if I were the nefarious type, but I’d have to be an idiot to get caught dabbling in mind control when I’ve got a gig this sweet.")
  • White - Recharging/Cooldown. No powers save for touch-range telepathy. Vulnerable.
The Star Vipers also have some form of hypnosis/mind-control-like powers, but they can all be resisted with sufficiently high Willpower. Frostwyrms use their psionics to communicate, generate a shield, attack, arouse and drain some stats; the latter two (like the hypnosis mentioned above) are resistible with sufficiently high Willpower. Lurelings use their psionics to mentally bond with and probably control their marions, though it's a one-to-one connection (so one lureling can't control more than one marion) and predominantly affects weak-willed and psionically vulnerable essyras.

I'd say these serve as a good indicator of the kind of stuff that's possible with psionics, so no crazy things like teleportation, time travel, spontaneous matter creation or instant, irresistible mind control.

Interesting. So how does psionic ability come about? I glanced at the Slyveren codex but it just mentions they developed it over time.

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
As for them having a base on Myrellion, I think you're right that they couldn't establish a proper base in the timeframe since the planet was discovered, but my conclusion is different: the base is mostly prefabricated, and the underground parts of the base (e.g. the sewers and laboratory) were built into already existing underground spaces. These would significantly reduce the time it would take to set up their operations.
Still, setting up an entire base... that takes a lot of time and resources. And with all the tension on myrellion, they'd have all their sensors and stuff dialed to 11 to make sure nobody tries to pull anything. So I doubt they be able to fly in a whole base worth of gear and stuff, even with it all being prefab. Plus, does it actually say anything about the prefab/preexisting structures? I'm not trying to throw shade, and sorry if it seems like that, I'm seriously asking here, cuz I wanna get to the bottom of this! This is exactly why I made this thread!

Actually, Watson's the reason they're so organised. From what we know of Void politics, the Dread Lords are the highest-ranking members and they seem to run mostly separate operations; Watson's job is to make sure those operations don't interfere with each other. I think there's also been hints that Amara and Bragga are rivals; in fact, I kind of expect that they'll eventually outright attack each other and Steele will have the option to side with one or neither of them.
I'm sorry, but who's watson? Pls no spoilers if you can avoid it, tho! Thank you!
They're not involved with Zheng Shi at all; in fact, the various gangs who populate the station all hate them
God dammit I'm not used to the new forum format so I didn't know the blurred bit was spoiler hiding stuff!

Ah well. At least it's a minor detail.

TheShepard256

Interesting. So how does psionic ability come about? I glanced at the Slyveren codex but it just mentions they developed it over time.
It seems to be a natural ability of some races, and given that a) caesselians aren't naturally psionic while the slyveren derived from them are, and b) it's planned for Steele to gain psionics, I assume it's possible to become a psyker through artificial means. How it works is unknown, but there's an in-universe hypothesis that milodans developed species-wide psionic potential by using savicite dildos as part of fertility rituals; they come from Uveto, which is rich in savicite and lucinite (both of which are psionically active materials), and two other Uvetan species are naturally 100% psykers, so psionically active materials likely play some role in it.

My head-canon is that it works similarly to biotics from Mass Effect (nodules of the relevant material spread throughout their nervous system and activated/controlled through specific electrical impulses), except that the abilities of an individual psyker depend on which material(s) they have inside them; for example, savicite-based psionics would be capable of arousing others, while lucinite-based psionics would result in energy absorption. Having multiple different materials would allow for multiple different kinds of psionic abilities to be performed, so someone with both savicite and lucinite would be capable of both arousal and energy absorption.
Still, setting up an entire base... that takes a lot of time and resources. And with all the tension on myrellion, they'd have all their sensors and stuff dialed to 11 to make sure nobody tries to pull anything. So I doubt they be able to fly in a whole base worth of gear and stuff, even with it all being prefab. Plus, does it actually say anything about the prefab/preexisting structures? I'm not trying to throw shade, and sorry if it seems like that, I'm seriously asking here, cuz I wanna get to the bottom of this! This is exactly why I made this thread!
I actually wrote that post without referring back to the original content and just assumed that it wasn't stated whether or not the base was prefab; I also guessed that it was, because that's the explanation that makes the most sense to me. Referring back to said content:
Kara said:
The pirates are just setting up on Myrellion, bringing in pre-fab buildings and blasting out some caverns near the surface, carving out a sewer. Some kind of bunker underground, too.
So it looks like they're only beginning to set up on Myrellion. Also of note is that some of the base's personnel are gold myr scientists who worked with them willingly (at least prior to being outfitted with mind control collars), and there are red myr prisoners. Plus, if Steele completes KQ2 with Kara alive & well before doing FederationQuest, the radio officer will say "And you’re to blame for ruining our operation out in the wastelands, too!", implying that Estallia and her people were involved.

We also know that the Black Void are capable of evading UGC detection somehow; otherwise, they wouldn't be able to get into Rush Space at all since there's only one Warp Gate per Rush system, and the UGC monitors all traffic through those Gates to avoid a second Thraggen War. Presumably, the detection systems used by the Myrellion governments are much less advanced than those used by the UGC, so the Void should be able to fool them, too.
I'm sorry, but who's watson? Pls no spoilers if you can avoid it, tho! Thank you!
He's the AI who oversees all of the Black Void's operations. He makes an appearance near the end of KQ2.
Sorry, but who Dat? Is she on the new planet?
She's a slyveren mechanic working for Steele Tech on Uveto Station.
God dammit I'm not used to the new forum format so I didn't know the blurred bit was spoiler hiding stuff!
They're inline spoilers, written as [ISPOILER]spoilers[/ISPOILER], and they're a feature of the new platform the forum runs on now. I quite like them; they allow marking spoilers without breaking up the flow of paragraphs.

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
So it looks like they're only beginning to set up on Myrellion. Also of note is that some of the base's personnel are gold myr scientists who worked with them willingly (at least prior to being outfitted with mind control collars), and there are red myr prisoners. Plus, if Steele completes KQ2 with Kara alive & well before doing FederationQuest, the radio officer will say "And you’re to blame for ruining our operation out in the wastelands, too!", implying that Estallia and her people were involved.

We also know that the Black Void are capable of evading UGC detection somehow; otherwise, they wouldn't be able to get into Rush Space at all since there's only one Warp Gate per Rush system, and the UGC monitors all traffic through those Gates to avoid a second Thraggen War. Presumably, the detection systems used by the Myrellion governments are much less advanced than those used by the UGC, so the Void should be able to fool them, too.
Ah. Well.... that whole "just starting to set up" thing kinda blows some of my theories out of the water....

Though on the other hand, it kinda raises some if the others up quite a bit. Like you said, the UGC heavily monitors all warp gate traffic, and as far as we know warp gates are the only means of traveling between systems.

So I'm still pretty damn convinced that the void either have their own warp gate, or have somehow figured out another way of interstellar travel.

It's the only thing that makes sense, and the only other possibility is that they somehow disguise their ships to use warp gates and/or smuggle parts of their ships and the means to make them piecemeal into the rush and just assemble them on the spot, and both of those are just plain im possible, dumb, inefficient, and/or just plain ridiculous.

Smuggling prefab structures and stuff for the base over time? Maybe. It honestly wouldn't be that hard. All they need is a large freighter ship and some kinda shell company.

But somehow sneaking entire warships armed to the teeth through?

No way.

He's the AI who oversees all of the Black Void's operations. He makes an appearance near the end of KQ2.
Ah, ok. Well, keyword here is overseer. Just cuz he manages the operations doesn't necessarily mean he's at the top of the mound. There could be someone pulling his strings....
She's a slyveren mechanic working for Steele Tech on Uveto Station.
SWEET! Been meaning to hit up Uveto for a while!
They're inline spoilers, written as spoilers, and they're a feature of the new platform the forum runs on now. I quite like them; they allow marking spoilers without breaking up the flow of paragraphs.
Ah, ok. Thought my phone was just fucking up or whatever. I'll be sure to watch out for them moving forward. Thanks!

Nora Steele

Dec 17, 2020
See, I thought there was something super sus about the Black Void's power as well. It seems almost as powerful as an interstellar state- and they probably have links on the inside of the big and powerful ones. But when you get criminal groups that big, what's the difference between profiting off the greed of one of the Ten Attendants, and being one yourself?
I saw Shepard's necroed thread on the likely reasons for the dangers of Taint. I think the core of it- microsurgeons causing high-mortality-rate gene alterations that force their victims to endlessly bang without regard for relations between one another- was a reasonably well laid out suggestion, although I would rather see the microsurgeons as being highly successful at reducing their original design purpose to an uncontrolled absurdity.

Though on the other hand, it kinda raises some if the others up quite a bit. Like you said, the UGC heavily monitors all warp gate traffic, and as far as we know warp gates are the only means of traveling between systems.

So I'm still pretty damn convinced that the void either have their own warp gate, or have somehow figured out another way of interstellar travel.
Would be interesting to see if the Void have figured out how to make FTL portable. Of course, if they do, here's my little prayer that they aren't the first people in this part of the Milky Way to invent the Superluminal Negative-Mass Nuclear Sucker Punch Doctrine, which will probably kill the UGC.
It's the only thing that makes sense, and the only other possibility is that they somehow disguise their ships to use warp gates and/or smuggle parts of their ships and the means to make them piecemeal into the rush and just assemble them on the spot, and both of those are just plain im possible, dumb, inefficient, and/or just plain ridiculous.

Smuggling prefab structures and stuff for the base over time? Maybe. It honestly wouldn't be that hard. All they need is a large freighter ship and some kinda shell company.

But somehow sneaking entire warships armed to the teeth through?

No way.
Black Void probably sends their warships through the gates as Q-ships with a sufficiently freighter-y set of credentials if they can't fake being UGC member state/Peacekeeper warships. Looks like a freighter, but the only thing they're gonna be shipping is red myr venom missiles- right through your hull. Or they stuffed them on freighters, assuming they have freighters big enough to hold their combat ships. Expensive to be sure but I'm sure Watson knows a way.

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
Ok, so, I've been putting some more thought into my headcannon Black Void big boss character. Here's what I've got:

Her official title and rank in the organization is "The Abyss Lord", and she holds direct command over all Dread Lords. If someone wants to be a Dread Lord, they need her approval, or no go.

She's actually relatively new on the scene, having only come onto the scene a few centuries ago, where she took over by systematically subjugation the most powerful Dread Lords one by one.

Despite her status, she gives the Dread Lords a lot of autonomy. Basically, so long as they stay loyal, pay occasional tribute, and ask how high when she says jump, they can do whatever they want. Basically the same rules as planetary governance in warhammer 40k. She does this, and uses Watson as overseer of the void at large, in order to keep the masses in the dark about her existence.

The way she got to be how she is, though, is another story entirely.

They way she got to be how she is now is cuz of the power she got after her botched attempt at a warp jump lander her in the middle of Tainted Space, like I said above. She used her powers and patience to manipulate each Dread Lords mind one by one. A good number had enough willpower to resist, but she got around that by taking a second person, implanting them with the Dread Lords memories, and reshaping their appearance and personality until they were essentially and exact copy, with the only difference being that they would obey her every word, and then simply killing the original and having the copy take their place.

One of the key reasons she's stayed in power, aside from being almost impossible to go near without being susceptible to her power, is that only the Dread Lords even know she exists. She keeps them quiet with threats, and when that doesn't work, she either does the switcheroo trick or she simply alters their mind a bit so they comply.

The reason she doesn't do this to everyone is cuz she is wary of the limits of her powers. She knows that all it would take is one mistake while doing some mental rewiring to create cracks in the facade, and then everything would come falling apart. It's almost happened before many times, in fact. So she avoids using her powers where she can as a precautionary measure.

In addition, there is one thing that is a utter dead giveaway for those she's used her powers on, and that's how even small alterations can cause large amounts of genetic Taint in the victim. Rewriting someone's whole look or personality, or rewiring them to become loyal, will cause enough taint that gene mods and microsurgions will no longer have any effect at all.

So not only does she have to worry about cracks in the facade of her own creation, she has to worry about what may come later down the line as a result of the Taint.

A few Dread Lords she had to replace more than once because the replacements either went insane or started to mutate. This is yet another reason she doesn't just use her powers like crazy.

Currently, she has 4 goals. The first is to find a way to better control her powers, so that the ones she alters or copies can become completely unnoticeable or flawless respectively. The second is to find a way to stabilize the taint so that she does not have to monitor those she changes. The third is more of q side project that she isn't really focusing on too much, but would he massive if she managed to succeed, that being finding a way to expand the scope of her powers to affect machines, as right now she can only alter organic life. She can't even corrupt or contaminate microsurgions, which is why she doesn't just contaminate a ton of microsurgions and crop dust whole planets at with them to take them over all at once. That and there are a few other reasons, as stated below.

And finally, she is seeking out ways to expand the scope of her powers, as right now she can only use them when making direct physical contact.

And she has already found an answer to the fourth one.

Somehow, when someone with high enough taint of any kind enters Tainted Space, or if someone in Tainted Space becomes Tainted enough, she is able to exercise total control over them so long as she is also in the same Tainted Space, with seemingly no limit on distance. She can turn dozens of people into her slaves and reshape them into anything or anyone she wishes from entire systems away, and give them orders en mass or even directly control individuals like puppets.

And so, she has a new third goal: to find a way to spread Tainted Space across the entire universe, so she can rule over it like a god.

There's only one real monkey wrench in her plan. One person has managed to not only resist her power, but be almost completely immune to it. This is due to the absurd and varied amounts of Taint he had acquired throughout hundreds of years of traveling the stars. And though the it eventually destroyed him, he unknowingly managed to pass on the immunity to his heir, creating the last hope the universe has against the Abyss Lord and her plans to become a god.

I also have another headcanon involving the Abyss Lord. One that, tbh, is kinda fucked up.

Ok, so, Amara one time almost got shade killed while on a job. And while shade forgave her, Amara still felt guilty, and eventually had an epiphany, and realized just how much she cared about shade and her daughter.

So Amara started to hatch a plan to rat out the Abyss Lord and run use the chaos to fake her death so she could live with shade and their kid.

But the Abyss Lord caught on, and decided to swap Amara for a replacement and kill the original.

My plan is for this to be revealed to you and shade at the same time, and for the two of you to look on in terror as the Abyss Lord says that she had to make a second replacement after the first one starting to become mentally unstable, and when shade denies this, the Abyss Lord then proceeds to make another replacement right in front of the two of you, kill the other replacement, and has the new replacement say information only Amara would know, like the date she knocked up shade, the day she found out shade was preggers, and where and how the two of them first met and hooked up, all to prove to shade that she was telling the truth, before ordering the new replacement to kill her and Steele.

Waddaya think?

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
Black Void probably sends their warships through the gates as Q-ships with a sufficiently freighter-y set of credentials if they can't fake being UGC member state/Peacekeeper warships. Looks like a freighter, but the only thing they're gonna be shipping is red myr venom missiles- right through your hull. Or they stuffed them on freighters, assuming they have freighters big enough to hold their combat ships. Expensive to be sure but I'm sure Watson knows a way.
Idk. I feel like that still wouldn't work. It certainly wouldn't work with capital ships Dread lords likely cruise around in.

4rm4ld0

Dec 2, 2019
My crazy theory, Maximillian Steele and Victor Steele are one and the same!
We know old Vic run a trustworthy and surprisingly ethical company, Steele Tech. However we also know he has some more nefarious deeds, as Dr Canor said Uveto is a place to do your dirty laundry hidden from the eyes of the Federation and Steele Tech has an Uveto base. Old Vic was known for his tray of bastards due to a hedonistic lifestyle and for making a fortune out in the rush, if the current rush is anything to go by we can imagine he made that fortune by doing a lot of illegal activities. It also sound awfully convenient for a actual shapeshifter rich guy to have a brother who only job is follow him around forging claims of what he found but don't do the same with literally anyone else who isn't his brother. Sounds like the perfect way to keep Vic name clean while still enriching the family from the most questionable things he did.

It is also incredible suspicious that a dude who planned Captain Steele from birth to be his successor and has been working on this succession plan for decades prior the rush would fail to add any security measure to prevent the cousin or any other bastard access to the probe. It makes more sense for the cousin to be the safe measure, someone who ensure captain Steele would pursuit the probes or if they didn't someone from the Steele family would.

There is also the issue Maximillian and Victor wasn't ever in the same room per say; The funeral had the coffin closed, Captain Steele was not present at the time of Vic death and so on.

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
My crazy theory, Maximillian Steele and Victor Steele are one and the same!
We know old Vic run a trustworthy and surprisingly ethical company, Steele Tech. However we also know he has some more nefarious deeds, as Dr Canor said Uveto is a place to do your dirty laundry hidden from the eyes of the Federation and Steele Tech has an Uveto base. Old Vic was known for his tray of bastards due to a hedonistic lifestyle and for making a fortune out in the rush, if the current rush is anything to go by we can imagine he made that fortune by doing a lot of illegal activities. It also sound awfully convenient for a actual shapeshifter rich guy to have a brother who only job is follow him around forging claims of what he found but don't do the same with literally anyone else who isn't his brother. Sounds like the perfect way to keep Vic name clean while still enriching the family from the most questionable things he did.

It is also incredible suspicious that a dude who planned Captain Steele from birth to be his successor and has been working on this succession plan for decades prior the rush would fail to add any security measure to prevent the cousin or any other bastard access to the probe. It makes more sense for the cousin to be the safe measure, someone who ensure captain Steele would pursuit the probes or if they didn't someone from the Steele family would.

There is also the issue Maximillian and Victor wasn't ever in the same room per say; The funeral had the coffin closed, Captain Steele was not present at the time of Vic death and so on.
Lol, that'd be a pretty damn good thing for a silly mode ending.

Is silly mode still a thing or has that gone the way of the dodo?

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
t's the only thing that makes sense, and the only other possibility is that they somehow disguise their ships to use warp gates and/or smuggle parts of their ships and the means to make them piecemeal into the rush and just assemble them on the spot, and both of those are just plain im possible, dumb, inefficient, and/or just plain ridiculous.

There's also just bribing and/or blackmailing the warp gate security. It's not like they lack the resources, and the sufficiently independently wealthy like Captain Steele can acquire capital-size ships for civilian use, so it's not hard to hide that you sent a dreadnought through instead of a trillionaire's city-sized pleasure yacht.

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
There's also just bribing and/or blackmailing the warp gate security. It's not like they lack the resources, and the sufficiently independently wealthy like Captain Steele can acquire capital-size ships for civilian use, so it's not hard to hide that you sent a dreadnought through instead of a trillionaire's city-sized pleasure yacht.
Idk. That sounds to me like the space equivalent of paying a toll booth guard to let you drive an abrams onto the highway, claiming its some kind of bulldozer.

TheShepard256

(stuff about the Abyss Lord)
While that would make a cool plot, I don't think it really fits the vision of TiTS as it relates to the main characters. AFAICT, TiTS isn't supposed to be a typical "the fate of the entire world rests on your shoulders" story, but rather the story of Captain Steele's journey for their inheritance and the world doesn't care if they succeed or not. Besides, we're already ~45% of the way through the main story; introducing this Abyss Lord as the true main antagonist would require a lot of work to not be Lethice 2.0. Maybe in TiTS2, or maybe a series of side quests tying together Kaede's, Shade's, Kara's and Saendra's storylines?
I think most of the aliens are just very far removed branches of humanity- like in the Hainish cycle.
Fenoxo has explicitly said that TiTS has no precursor races, which makes something like this impossible.

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
While that would make a cool plot, I don't think it really fits the vision of TiTS as it relates to the main characters. AFAICT, TiTS isn't supposed to be a typical "the fate of the entire world rests on your shoulders" story, but rather the story of Captain Steele's journey for their inheritance and the world doesn't care if they succeed or not. Besides, we're already ~45% of the way through the main story; introducing this Abyss Lord as the true main antagonist would require a lot of work to not be Lethice 2.0. Maybe in TiTS2, or maybe a series of side quests tying together Kaede's, Shade's, Kara's and Saendra's storylines?
Yeah, I kinda figured as much. Tbh I'm kinda glad fen isn't going the whole "universe savior" route with Steele. It's refreshing!

Still, it'd be pretty kickass to see taint be used as a means of raising the stakes, as well as seeing just how far someone can push the limits of psionics in this universe, and what shade of shit things go when you mix them together!

Nora Steele

Dec 17, 2020
Idk. That sounds to me like the space equivalent of paying a toll booth guard to let you drive an abrams onto the highway, claiming its some kind of bulldozer.
Spaceships, unlike main battle tanks, can actually hide their armaments from keen eyes. It's not (necessarily) engineered into them to be obviously purpose-built for combat. And what am I- or Shade- doing with a fully kitted out MS-XI going through the warpgates? Surely we can't be pirates making our fortune through zerg rushing unsuspecting craft along a preplanned flight path between the gate and a planet and blasting away their resistance to our attempts to make a quick buck on their ships, no, we're just an executive trainee and a bounty hunter going on our separate ways to profit and glory...

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
Spaceships, unlike main battle tanks, can actually hide their armaments from keen eyes. It's not (necessarily) engineered into them to be obviously purpose-built for combat. And what am I- or Shade- doing with a fully kitted out MS-XI going through the warpgates? Surely we can't be pirates making our fortune through zerg rushing unsuspecting craft along a preplanned flight path between the gate and a planet and blasting away their resistance to our attempts to make a quick buck on their ships, no, we're just an executive trainee and a bounty hunter going on our separate ways to profit and glory...
I suppose you have a point. Ships that would carry executives and stuff would likely be armed to the teeth to ward off pirates, and it would be pretty tough to tell the difference or do a total background check on the spot. And even easier to disguise a smaller personal vessel, especially with the rush going on and everyone and their pets being kitted up.

Still, I'm pretty sure that the black void would try and seek out alternative means. After all, why go through all the effort to make it so you can slowly funnel stuff through the main gates when you can just clown car crap through your own to your hearts content? Sure it would be a huge investment, but the payoff would be more than worth it if it worked.

And like it was said before, the void have a ton of resources available to them. All they need is a few scientists who know how warp gates work and the resources to build it. Considering we just pick up anno, a genius on warp tech, I don't think it would be too hard.

Last edited:

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
Ok time for some nonsense. I just thought of this, idk sometime in the last 12 hours or so I can't remember lol, but what if Anno and Dane are twins, and Anno just uses colored contacts or a mod to get rid of her albino eyes but kept the white fur? You do have to admit her complexion is a bit pale overall.

And in addition, she also shares the necessary neural makeup or whatever that Dane has that allows him to mod on extra arms.

God what I wouldn't give for four armed Anno. That would be so sweet!

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
Ok, so, I got an idea for power armor for Steele. I yoinked the gist of it from the suit Lennox from Evolve uses.

You get it while on a volcanic planet, and it's primarily used as basically a lava diving suit. It's moreso designed not for mining or anything, but to allow people to analyze the interior of lava pools and such to analyze the walls and seismic activity and place sensors and all that bs to plot the courses for future operations, like mining, or maybe to plant explosives to make paths to drain out the lava. Whatever, point is its meant to let people dive into the lava, and while it can keep them safe just fine, once you emerge from the lava the cooling rock will immediately cool and harden, encasing the suit in rock, and making it so the user has to be literally cut and chiseled out. The reason that doesn't happen when diving is cuz while submerged, the heat from all the rest of the lava keeps everything liquid. In addition, the surface of the plates are designed to heavily retain heat, but are made of a material with an absurdly high melting point, so the surface of the suit can stay hot enough to actually keep the lava around it liquid.

There are ways to completely remove the rock, but it takes so much time and effort that it's not very cost effective, and can actually be hazardous to the operator in some cases, and the suits wear down so quick after repeated dives and are so dirt cheap that it's much more common and cost effective to just buy the suits in bulk, cut the operator clean from the chassis after a dive, and just throw the used suit away.

It got so common that the company that makes them now also makes the suits with specific points and features to help guide the saws and make the cutting easier and safer for the operator, as well as tools and instructions on how to make the cuts safely, cuz this actually massively boosted their profits, as you can probably imagine.

Anyway, yeah, a suit of power armor steel would get is one of those bad bois. Slow and cumbersome as fuck, but you could drop a mountain on it and it wouldn't even scratch the paint.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nora Steele

coffee with milk

May 5, 2021
Ok time for some nonsense. I just thought of this, idk sometime in the last 12 hours or so I can't remember lol, but what if Anno and Dane are twins, and Anno just uses colored contacts or a mod to get rid of her albino eyes but kept the white fur? You do have to admit her complexion is a bit pale overall.

And in addition, she also shares the necessary neural makeup or whatever that Dane has that allows him to mod on extra arms.

God what I wouldn't give for four armed Anno. That would be so sweet!
Anno and Syri are twins, but it could be possible for Dane to be related to them, maybe a brother? I'm not sure we know his backstory so it's a real possibility.

Reactions: 4rm4ld0

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
Anno and Syri are twins, but it could be possible for Dane to be related to them, maybe a brother? I'm not sure we know his backstory so it's a real possibility.
Oh yeah, lol, I legit forgot.

Has his recruitment stuff been implemented yet, or is it still in the works?