Star Wars Rouge One

Bocoom

Dec 31, 2015
Just watched rouge one and it was.....average. It was a good action film though but action was the only thing it had going for it. It also covered the plot hole about the death star somehow blowing up after shooting a tiny hole that in it. The main thing bringing this movie down is the characters. Holy crap this is one of the most forgettable bunch of characters I have seen in a movie all year. When the character with the most personality is the robot something is wrong. Hardly any character in this movie has any character motivation, or gives us a reason to care about them when shit hits the fan. I dont even know the characters names or even the main characters name. And her backstory is supposed to be the "emotional" part of the movie but falls short because she has no distinct personality or that much character motivation or drive to make me get behind her and is just a slave for whatever the scriptwriter/story wants her and the rest of the "characters" to do instead of the other way around. The movie obviously wants you to care about them but they never give us a reason to do so. I suggest you only watch this movie if you just want to see good action and this movie delivers on that. Also covering up the old plot hole that got made fun of for the longest time. But if you came into here thinking you will be even slightly emotionally invested in characters and story you will be disappointed especially coming of such strong characters in the force awakens like Kylo Ren, Finn, and Rey.

Last edited:

anniebannannie

Dec 15, 2016
Still more character building than Suicide Squad.

"This man can climb anything!"
*Immediately has his head blown off*

Bocoom

Dec 31, 2015
Still more character building than Suicide Squad.

"This man can climb anything!"
*Immediately has his head blown off*

I think this movie is worse than suicide squad when it came to characters. At least the suicide squad characters had SOME personality what little their was . And you could tell they kind of tried to flesh them out but it was so sloppy. This is just magnificent 7 in space. Both movies have the same problems and are very similar.

anniebannannie

Dec 15, 2016
At least the suicide squad characters had SOME personality what little their was . And you could tell they kind of tried to flesh them out

That's debatable. I can't see the people behind suicide squad putting effort towards anything more than setting up their bank accounts.

Bocoom

Dec 31, 2015
That's debatable. I can't see the people behind suicide squad putting effort towards anything more than setting up their bank accounts.

Same with this film. Im not going to lie if you asked me to describe any of the characters in this film by personality my mind would go blank because their was nothing. I can at least describe one or two characters in suicide squad for a tiny bit unlike this movie where my brain is just blank. Im also shocked at the positive scores this film is getting. I was like HUH?!

Bocoom

Dec 31, 2015
2 reasons.

1. They're rating it as an action movie, where character matters less cool action matters the more.
2. It's more Star Wars.

Pretty much. Just an action movie but it just so happens to be in the star wars universe. This movie had the potential to be the emotional war story that it wants to be but sadly the writers could not deliver. Its also sad the most people talk about is the Darth Vader scene at the end who I think was only added because the characters were so terrible by themselves they needed him. Seriously what is with 2016 and having all these movies with a group of hero's but have them all bland and forgettable and yet wants us to root for and be sorry for their asses?

anniebannannie

Dec 15, 2016
Seriously what is with 2016 and having all these movies with a group of hero's but have them all bland and forgettable and yet wants us to root for and be sorry for their asses?

That kind of thing has been going on far longer than 2016. It's just hard to cram in 4, 5, 6+ characters and give us reasons to care about them. Guardians of the Galaxy did it right, but that's like the only one that springs to mind from recent (3 or so) years.

Bocoom

Dec 31, 2015
That kind of thing has been going on far longer than 2016. It's just hard to cram in 4, 5, 6+ characters and give us reasons to care about them. Guardians of the Galaxy did it right, but that's like the only one that springs to mind from recent (3 or so) years.

I know but I don't think I have seen so many in rapid succession like this year. I don't know why these movies cant come close to guardians Their is no excuse for this shit when its shown it can be done. I just hope the squeal will be good.

anniebannannie

Dec 15, 2016
Their is no excuse for this shit when its shown it can be done.

The biggest issue is they see the success of guardians, and rush a bad movie out to try and copy. Same reason there's so many absolute garbage PT/fnaf clones out there.

Bocoom

Dec 31, 2015
The biggest issue is they see the success of guardians, and rush a bad movie out to try and copy. Same reason there's so many absolute garbage PT/fnaf clones out there.

True. Maybe when the hype dies down people will see the movie for what it is. When I watched it last night it was 90% on rotten tomatoes and last I checked it dropped to 84% so its happening right now. I hold this movie at around a 70% range. What about you?

Last edited:

anniebannannie

Dec 15, 2016
What about you?

I'd probably say about an 80-85%. I generally start at 50%, and go up/down from there, and I thought there was enough to it that warranted that score. It's an enjoyable popcorn movie, and I'll most likely watch it again.

Bocoom

Dec 31, 2015
I'd probably say about an 80-85%. I generally start at 50%, and go up/down from there, and I thought there was enough to it that warranted that score. It's an enjoyable popcorn movie, and I'll most likely watch it again.

I start at 100% and it gets lower and lower the more mediocrity I see.But I came to the same conclusion about it being a popcorn movie but not a star wars movie. Also did you also laugh at the bad storm troopers to? I know they were not supposed to be a big threat but some scenes with them was just unintentional comedy. All you have to do is wack them over the head with blunt force and they die despite the armor. But my favorite scene is when they had to push the button and I shit you not in the back of my head I said "seriously just walk past them and push it because this batch of troopers are clowns." And then it actually happened and I almost busted out laughing like a lunatic. They make the guys who got defeated by ewoks look better. Im convinced these clones got cloned from someones nut sack.

Bocoom

Dec 31, 2015
I'm pretty sure at this point storm trooper is a synonym for bad.

They were hilariously bad in the original trilogy, they were incompetent in the force awakens. Just following the trend.

I know they were always bad but I dont recall them being this bad. But I guess its just me then I suppose. But anyway thanks for sharing your opinion with me. Im just going around getting a feel on what people think of this movie.