Spiraled Blade vs Staff

Mad Dog

Jun 1, 2018
I've used both of them due to some save editing but I really can't tell which is better. If it helps, I like running an offensive white mage with full strength to try and maximize my damage output.

Any recommendations on which would be better?

Violyn

Jan 3, 2017
If you're going for the blade i would even advise to just acquire Jarl Gunvaldsen's Griefmaker. It doesn't give spellpower, nor is it a catalyst, but the amount of bonuses it gives for one who melees a lot, I'd say they're better. 50 free armor pen, 50 damage, if you're able to maximize spellpower and strength, you're going to be pretty powerful.

Shizenhakai

Jul 9, 2016
I does partly depend on how your offensive works.
If you use offensive spells, bolstered by Black Magic, having a cataclyst can be pretty important.
If you use you more of a spell blade, that is you use magic to improve your weapon attack, go for a higher damage weapon and ignore cataclyst.

Anyways, I think the decision between those two is more flair/rp than actually efficency, since they both are meant for spellcasters.
The Sword is just for spellcasters who also make melee attacks, while the staff is for spellcaster who only sling spells.
Neither seem fitting for a strength+willpower build.

Reactions: Mad Dog

Violyn

Jan 3, 2017
Completely agree! there's definitely not an op build you can build in this game. Damage wise, you could say that a build that buffs melee attacks would be the strongest, like charge weapon, paired with song of storms and cleave, since they deal the most burst (you can one shot most enemies if not all and it's aoe), but it takes three full rounds to be able to do that, while a spellcaster or warrior build, even though you don't one shot, just being able to lash out damage immediately, makes it so the fight could end in three rounds as well. Just a simple example, but if you test out builds while playing, you're going to notice everything is pretty well balanced.

Reactions: Mad Dog