Skill trees/Perks

Floofer

Apr 5, 2018
Will mechanics like skill trees and perks act more like CoC, TiTs, or be entirely different?

DawnCry

Sep 18, 2016
Personally I hope it's more on the line of COC rather than tits.

I prefer to choose from a lot of abilities (with requirements) rather than a linear level up with two options. Something that could be quite funny is have some changes or special interactions if you have traits like "masochist" or "sadist" in some scenes, always wanted that in the original coc.

Raindrops

Jun 19, 2016
Savin already explained this in another thread.

As per the "Character stuff" thread:
Savin quote:

Insofar as the player character goes, there will only ever be the 5 base classes.

However, you're free to mix and match Talents from any class, and to take on Talents from items/story events/etc. on top of those. The only real "limit" is that you can only have 5 Talents equipped at a time (one At-Will, two Recharge, one 1/Encounter, and one 1/Day).

Your current class gives you passive Perks, and a free Talent when you level up. If you want cross-class Talents you just have to shell out some cash for them.

You only have a Character level, not class levels.

You have all the Perks for whatever class you're currently in, based on your character level. When you change classes, the only thing you lose are your current Perks (to be replaced with the new class's perks so long as you're in that class).

You only get free Talents (your active abilities) for whatever class you're actually in when you level up. But you keep your Talents when you switch classes, so if you start as a Warrior and become a White Mage, you can keep beatsticking people until you learn some White Mage talents. You can learn Talents from any class at any time by paying some money to a trainer.

End quote.

Reactions: Farlun

Farlun

Nov 28, 2015
Insofar as the player character goes, there will only ever be the 5 base classes.

However, you're free to mix and match Talents from any class, and to take on Talents from items/story events/etc. on top of those.

So there's a possibility of story-driven prestige classes?

Say, a paladin guild that will only accept you if you have enough of x class talents and y class talents and through training/questing for them you will gain additional talents that are unique to the guild/prestige class? Kinda' like classes in the Gothic series worked.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
So there's a possibility of story-driven prestige classes?

Say, a paladin guild that will only accept you if you have enough of x class talents and y class talents and through training/questing for them you will gain additional talents that are unique to the guild/prestige class? Kinda' like classes in the Gothic series worked.

That would be theoretically possible.

"Prestige class" would really be "group of themed talents" but yeah. I'm doing that with blue mages already.

Slab Bulkhead

Creator
Oct 10, 2015
I'm doing that with blue mages already.
BLUE MAGE FUCK YEAH

Seriously, that's one of my favorite RPG mechanics. I will be all over that. Thanks, Savin. :D

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
If I get to play some form of the sort of battlemage / spellsword I usually get up to in any game that even remotely permits me to do so, I'll be happy.

Reactions: Kesil

Harlequin

Dec 18, 2017
In a nutshell, Blue Mages have the ability to utilize moves that are exclusive to enemies, usually learning said move by having an enemy use their enemy exclusive attack on them.

Reactions: Zavos

Slab Bulkhead

Creator
Oct 10, 2015
Don't know about Dragonlance, but in FF games, yes, a blue mage learns spells by getting hit with them. This usually means they end up with a bunch of weird stuff. Sometimes it's useless, sometimes it's game-breaking. But it's always fun to see what happens. :D I never expected to see this in CoC2 and now I'm excited.

Reactions: Kesil

Harlequin

Dec 18, 2017
So, basically Kirby?
I'm pretty sure there's a difference between sucking up your opponent and getting hit by them... hmm...

What if Bimbo's with that ability that try to learn it end up sucking off the opponent for the round, causing both of you to not act that round and other things? Hmm...

Reactions: XBoxMaster131

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
So, basically Kirby?
No.

Kirby is an infant eldritch monster that cannot be stopped that will consume anything and everything and gains the strengths of his victims.

A blue mage is some dipshit with a pointy hat who can take a learn how to throw a punch exactly one they just took assuming they don't die from the punch.

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
No.

Kirby is an infant eldritch monster that cannot be stopped that will consume anything and everything and gains the strengths of his victims.

A blue mage is some dipshit with a pointy hat who can take a learn how to throw a punch exactly one they just took assuming they don't die from the punch.
Ok, so Taskmaster, then?

TheDevilYouKnow

Oct 21, 2015
Quina in FF9 is a fucking savage and straight up eats mobs to learn blue magic though. Also, Kimarhi in 10 kinda does the same thing with lancet.

Reactions: Slab Bulkhead

MESeele

Aug 26, 2015
whats a red mage?
To add to SoAndSo, they're basically the jack of all trades of mages. Strong and versatile early game, but lack of specialization means they drop off hard later on. Not so much in single-player games with only one usable character, since utility is very useful. But in party play (like CoC2), it's generally better to pick focused members. The red mage does everything okay, but is great at nothing. Unless OP doublecast is a thing...

Malpha

Feb 22, 2016
You didn't even use doublecast on red mage. Blood price summoner doublecast Viera were THE thing.
Unless they're referencing FFXIV Red Mage. Lots of front loaded damage and ridiculous support in rather powerful healing for a dps class and that double cast let you instant cast rez's after any non instant spell. Pretty great for progression groups.

SoAndSo

Scientist
Creator
Mar 26, 2017
FFXII Zodiac Era Red mage had access to spells that neither black or white mage had. The most powerful Fire spell (second strongest damage spell in game) is 'Ardor' and can only be used by the Red Mage.