Seeking advice on how to NOT break the game: Overpowered Items

Lord_Malgar

Apr 12, 2019
I am attempting to create content to pitch to the game, but I have come across a issue in doing so. The majority of my project (if not all of it) is centered on a certain relic that the PC would come across. The plan is that the player can use said-item in combat as armor or an accessory. The item would grant significant increase certain stats and provide unique specials that are only available if the player is currently wielding it.

The issue that I am facing is determining what stats it should increase, if it should decrease others, and by what scales are the changes to the stats being placed in. All the while avoiding 'breaking' the game.

So what I am asking is what are your thoughts, opinions, and advice of how should I approach my dilemma?

Thank you for your time.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
Well first of all, this isn't the place for this thread unless you're writing up the idea and posting it in this thread. Its a misnamed section for the forum. Its not where you post ideas, but more a section for showing your work in progress.

Secondly, if you want to add new items, go onto the TiTS wiki and look at comparable items to get an idea of what your power level should be.

Thirdly, keep in mind that gear should be compatible with at least with one class, for example an energy weapon doesn't synergise well with the Mercenary perks. And one item designed to cover all three classes doesn't really work well, because its going to boost three areas and make it edge towards overpowered.

Lord_Malgar

Apr 12, 2019
Well first of all, this isn't the place for this thread unless you're writing up the idea and posting it in this thread. Its a misnamed section for the forum. Its not where you post ideas, but more a section for showing your work in progress.

Secondly, if you want to add new items, go onto the TiTS wiki and look at comparable items to get an idea of what your power level should be.

Thirdly, keep in mind that gear should be compatible with at least with one class, for example an energy weapon doesn't synergise well with the Mercenary perks. And one item designed to cover all three classes doesn't really work well, because its going to boost three areas and make it edge towards overpowered.

I can assure you that I am writing this project attempt up. I am aware (or at least i think I am) of what this section in the forums intended purpose is.

The issue for me with comparing it to the other items on the wiki is that there isn't really any item (or I am just really ignorant, which just maybe the case, will be double checking later) that improves stats like strength and endurance and is compatible with weapons in that sense.

And for the classes, this item was just suppose to boost base stats that don't depend on class. But you do point a fair point in that if it did buff up all three that it would be overpowered. I will look more into it and see if making it unique to one class will help balancing, or for that matter making what it effects different for each of the classes.
Actually, now that I think about, I really like that idea, it would be a unique twist on how it effects game-play. Thank you for mentioning it, this might be really fruitful if I design it good enough.

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
What does it do?
How much does it cost?
If not for sale, then how do you get it?
If for sale, who sells it?

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
Something.
A lot.
Some place.
Kattom.

Lord_Malgar

Apr 12, 2019
What does it do?
How much does it cost?
If not for sale, then how do you get it?
If for sale, who sells it?

It is suppose to be a general boost at first, but as I mentioned above, the idea of making it a specific boost, based on your class, is becoming more appealing to me. As example, if you are a mercenary, it would boost your strength and endurance significantly and give you a special move that would allow you to enter a state of immense endurance and speed that lasts for several turns.

It is not a purchasable item, it is only obtained by following the corresponding quest that is attached to it. You also do not have the item indefinitely, as advancing through the quest, you will lose it.

But with that said, I wonder if should have it be a key item. What prevents me Fromm doing so is that I want it to be accessible in your inventory, much like siegwulfe is.

Zavos

May 7, 2016
There is a budgeting spreadsheet used to determine how powerful items can be. If you go onto our discord and search for "item budgeting", you can find it fairly easily. Items that have their own, unique progression (Nova) is exempt to a degree, but I advise consideration of existing items (and potential items using the spreadsheet) when determining power progression.

Lord_Malgar

Apr 12, 2019
There is a budgeting spreadsheet used to determine how powerful items can be. If you go onto our discord and search for "item budgeting", you can find it fairly easily. Items that have their own, unique progression (Nova) is exempt to a degree, but I advise consideration of existing items (and potential items using the spreadsheet) when determining power progression.

I was not aware of this. I have not used discord before, but I want to see the spreadsheet. What is the name of the discord?

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
Alternatively, don't worry about it. If you feel uncomfortable with the actual stat array then leave it blank, offer a suggestion and let the coders decide when it's time to actually do it up.

Focus on the writing before the fiddly mechanics, friend.