Question When Designing a TF Item....

epidemico

Apr 5, 2016
So, 

When writing a Transformative Item, I've seen one of two things happen: either A) the writer in question uses as much code as possible alongside their descriptions of what happens when the player takes the item, and B) the writer only writes out what happens when a player takes the item, and seemingly leaves the mechanical aspects of it to whomever chooses to code the thing into the game once it's accepted.

My question is--and this goes out especially to creators or those who have coded things into TiTs already--which of the aforementioned is better for an aspiring writer to do? Does pre-coding the item make it easier for it to get accepted into the game, or does it just create more headaches for coders? Similarly, does just writing out all the ways that "X occurs to Y body when player Z takes Q item," and lthen submitting it to let someone else code the entry make it easier, or harder?

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Do not code your own work.  Your code will have to be verified by Gedan anyway unless you're a proven coder, which just creates more work.

Use psuedocode when laying out the effects.  I start with a description of how many effects should be chosen and by what method (for instance, "Choose one valid option from below at random:" or "Always trigger the following:", "75% chance of triggering one of the following:"), then I lay out each possible effect with its conditions, if any, listed above it.  When you write out the text for each effect actually happening, list its conditional above it again for ease of reference.

If you're not sure what to do, look at someone's published document and copy their format.  Whatever you do, be consistent about it.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
If you can code your own work you can test it yourself as well, and submit an easily reversible pull request.

With that said, you probably shouldn't.

epidemico

Apr 5, 2016
Thanks, everyone!

If you're not sure what to do, look at someone's published document and copy their format.  Whatever you do, be consistent about it.

Most of the newer documents I've parsed through generally include code, lol.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
psuedocode != code