Question on the public releases

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
Ok, I know it's kinda a dick move of me to ask this, and I'm sorry for it, but im certain that I'm not the only one who is curious about it, so I decided to just rip the bandaid off and get it over with.

And I want to make it clear that I'm not complaining or whining or trying to be a jerk or anything like that, and I honestly dont mind it all no matter what the answer may be, I'm just asking out of curiosity so I can put this question to bed and get a better idea of when to place my expectations for the public builds moving forward.

So, with all of that out of the way, what's been going on with the public releases lately? Last month and this month they seem to be all over the place.

If I remember correctly, the schedule for public updates is the first weekend of the month. Did something change or whatever? I wouldn't be surprised, nor would I blame anyone, what with the Big C throwing wrenches around like Patches O'Houlihan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lone Wolf115

TheShepard256

You're right; I was curious about this, too. Looking back, the second most recent public patch was May 11th; Fenoxo promised bugfixes in a patch the day after, but fixing the bugs took longer so the next (and most recent) public patch was pushed to a week later, May 18th. I'd attribute the May 11th one being 1/3rd of the way through the month due to the server move delaying deployment of any TiTS patches earlier in the month, but I'm not privy to the inner workings of how public/backer releases on fenoxo.com work so I could be wrong about it.

The preceding few public patches were all the first TiTS patch for their respective months (and one at the end of a month, but that was the one with the full tutorial dungeon and was only a few days away from next month so I can excuse that). Looks to me like a case of schedule slipping.

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
I'm under the impression that the Public is generally the first patch of the month (whenever that is), unless Fenoxo wants to get something playtested so it can be fixed for the Public. Honestly, at this point, I'm less concerned with the timing of the Public and more with the progress on the Port. Or before major Holidays (Halloween, Christmas), so players have the full available time to experience the additions.

It seemed to me that TiTS and CoC2 were at the beginning and the middle of the month respectively so they didn't interfere with each other and players of both would always have something soonish to look forward to. How that's going to work out with the apparent delay, I don't know.

Animefan666

Sep 6, 2020
I recall Savin saying the Public Release tends to be the middle of the month. I wouldn't expect things to happen like clockwork, though. Best to simply wait until it's released. Patience is a virtue and Youtube videos are a decent distraction. Keep busy and before you know it, it'll be here.

Undecided

Feb 16, 2021
I recall Savin saying the Public Release tends to be the middle of the month. I wouldn't expect things to happen like clockwork, though. Best to simply wait until it's released. Patience is a virtue and Youtube videos are a decent distraction. Keep busy and before you know it, it'll be here.
What Savin said about public releases being around the middle of the month is applicable for CoC2; not for TiTS (at least that's what has been observed prior).
To expand on the above; from what I've seen prior, TiTS seemingly always had a public release at the beginning of the month, which is what this thread is highlighting / questioning at the moment (as there has yet to be a public TiTS build this month, and the previous months build was also not at the beginning of the month as usual).

There is a possibility that the next TiTS public release would be on the 18th of June, seeing as the last public release for TiTS was on the 18th of May. However that would just be a guess, as there's been nothing mentioned on the forums (aside from this thread, as far as I can tell).

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016

There is a possibility that the next TiTS public release would be on the 18th of June, seeing as the last public release for TiTS was on the 18th of May. However that would just be a guess, as there's been nothing mentioned on the forums (aside from this thread, as far as I can tell).

As for that bit about clockwork, I totally get it. Sometimes there's a bit of a flub here and there. Like back in April the public update came on the second weekend of the month, likely cuz the month literally started on a weekend.

But as far as I can recall, those occurrences have always been relatively few and far between, and almost never as disparative as this month and the last have been. Though my memory is a dumpster fire, so let me know if I'm wrong about any of that.

Regardless, again, like I said, I honestly dont mind at all how long it takes so long as I know when they're gonna arrive, be it due to delays or a change in the release scheduling. For me the suspense is worse than the wait, ya feel me?

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
TiTS' pubbie patches are usually around the start of the month.

That said, schedules are all fucky wucky while the JS port is getting all the love. That's also why there's been almost no new content added to the mainline game period lately. Just chill, it'll happen when it happens.

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
TiTS' pubbie patches are usually around the start of the month.

That said, schedules are all fucky wucky while the JS port is getting all the love. That's also why there's been almost no new content added to the mainline game period lately. Just chill, it'll happen when it happens.
Ah, thank you! Yeah, shoulda figured as much looking back. My bad.

But geez, I never thought that it would get so hectic things would get so scrunched up. But I know yall are working hard, and so long as that stays the same, I don't mind a little extra waiting! Lord knows I have enough content to catch up on as is anyway, lol.

Keep up the great job!

Melphina

May 9, 2017
But geez, I never thought that it would get so hectic things would get so scrunched up. But I know yall are working hard, and so long as that stays the same, I don't mind a little extra waiting! Lord knows I have enough content to catch up on as is anyway, lol.

The earlier TiTS builds were released over half a decade ago, and there's a huge amount of content to have to go through. Porting code from one platform to another is a pain in the ass, and the scope of how MUCH code needs to be ported means there can be no definitive timeline. We know that it's being worked on, and we know that new content is also scheduled for future updates. The team working on the project is human and we have to respect that they are in a difficult situation. They've delivered on their promises so far and there is no reason to doubt their word now. Stuff is happening even if we don't see it. Once that stuff is done and out of the way we can move on to more and new stuff. The javascript port will happen, and from the teaser screenshots of the new UI the wait will be worth it. With all the media out there available to entertain us there's got to be SOMETHING each of us can find to preoccupy ourselves in the meantime.

Jorr The Great

Jul 9, 2019
Mexico
www.youtube.com
I do not want to give hope but I do not know why I have the memory that last year it was said that the Java port would be ready in June, maybe it will be out and they do not want to make a Flash patch in vain, but I repeat, I'm not sure where I read that information.

sumgai

Jul 17, 2017
Fen never gave out a release date for the JS port.

Last I heard they're porting Tarkus.

Wint3rRyd3r

Feb 14, 2021
Fen never gave out a release date for the JS port.

Last I heard they're porting Tarkus.

I'm a bit behind on the news of TiTS, but why are they porting it JS? The .exe file in the downloads has been working fine. Is there an overhaul planned?

sumgai

Jul 17, 2017
Flash is kill, so it's harder for some people to use it, especially folks on iPhone and Android.

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
We know that it's being worked on, and we know that new content is also scheduled for future updates. The team working on the project is human and we have to respect that they are in a difficult situation. They've delivered on their promises so far and there is no reason to doubt their word now. Stuff is happening even if we don't see it.
All that is true, but it can be hard to assume 'no news is good news', especially if they'd had at least a semblance of a schedule before. The recent waves of bugfixes are encouraging, though.
I'm a bit behind on the news of TiTS, but why are they porting it JS? The .exe file in the downloads has been working fine. Is there an overhaul planned?
In addition to what sumgai said, they're also taking the opportunity to clean up the backend.

mikethor007

Jun 26, 2021
What I'm curious to know is if we will have to start from scratch in the JS port or if it will have a way to load a game from those external files we can save (aside from the save slots).

Re-doing my Steele from scratch will surely take a loooooooong time...

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
What I'm curious to know is if we will have to start from scratch in the JS port or if it will have a way to load a game from those external files we can save (aside from the save slots).

5-7-2021 Blog said:
More excitingly: Gedan has save import largely working. I handed her a small pile of saves I collected from working on bug reports, and she was able to get most of them to import without issue after adding an “export” option to her local flash branch.

sumgai

Jul 17, 2017
But also still don't have most of the basic gameplay systems like inventory management or TFing or combat recoded either.
:negativeman:

mikethor007

Jun 26, 2021
Thanks for the info. Guess I didn't read that part of the blog. My mistake.

EDIT: Dang, was trying to quote Theron's post and failed...

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
Will this JS port affect/effect the mobile version?
It will be the version going forward for mobile as well as PC. However:
Gedan in the comments for 6-21-2021 said:
I have Some Ideas™ about making a better interface for mobile use that I don’t think I’ve really ever seen anywhere else before and part of it means keeping at least one edge of the screen clear of any other UI elements. It won’t be useful on desktop, but we want to maintain a mostly consistent layout across platforms regardless. It seemed more natural to keep the left bar consider that’s where we had all the menu buttons and stuff already and cut the right, but in practice the end-goal is to make which side of the screen that bar is displayed on an option for user-handedness-reasons.

SmithEK

Apr 20, 2021
It will be the version going forward for mobile as well as PC. However:
I have no idea what this JS port is, so forgive me if I sound like an idiot but will I have to download this JS port when its released to continue playing TiTs?

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
Well fuck me. This thread is still alive and kicking? Well I'll be damned, lol!

Anyway....

As I said earlier, I'm in the same boat.

Thankfully, I remember reading in the main site updates a bit ago that there are some good signs that we'll be able to port our saves over to the JS version. Can't for the life of me remember when this was stated, though. Sorry.

Oh crap, I just realized. What about saves that have been heavily edited? Mines been through the damn wringer on the save editor more times than I can count, and I can even name one or two decrepancies that I wasn't able to fully fix and had to just deal with.

Here's hoping it won't fully stroke out and croak when I try to port it over, lol.

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
I have no idea what this JS port is, so forgive me if I sound like an idiot but will I have to download this JS port when its released to continue playing TiTs?
Because of the zombification of Flash, the developers are porting the game to a different language, specifically, JavaSript. This is why updates have been somewhat lacking over the last year. Once the port is finished, they will not continue updating the Flash version. Even before that, there are things that are not going to be added to the Flash version. Transformatives that involve new parts and Levels 11 & 12, for example.

It will likely be playable in your Browser of choice, but you will have to switch over, one way or another.

Thankfully, I remember reading in the main site updates a bit ago that there are some good signs that we'll be able to port our saves over to the JS version. Can't for the life of me remember when this was stated, though. Sorry.
I feel so ignored (Post #17, Link to Blog).

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Yes. The same way you have to download every version of the TiTS .apk.

Alternatively, you'll be able to play in browsers again!

SmithEK

Apr 20, 2021
Yes. The same way you have to download every version of the TiTS .apk.

Alternatively, you'll be able to play in browsers again!
Thanks. I just wasn't sure if I needed to also install this JS port as well.. I don't think my phone has flash.

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
Thanks. I just wasn't sure if I needed to also install this JS port as well.. I don't think my phone has flash.
I'm pretty sure mobile devices in general don't have/can't have flash.

Maybe some tablets, but phones? I doubt it. Especially now that flash has been officially old yellered and to use flash stuff now you need a standalone program, and that's a whole new can of worms I don't even wanna touch.

Animefan666

Sep 6, 2020
I'm pretty sure mobile devices in general don't have/can't have flash.

Maybe some tablets, but phones? I doubt it. Especially now that flash has been officially old yellered and to use flash stuff now you need a standalone program, and that's a whole new can of worms I don't even wanna touch.
True, if I want to play a flash game, I need Puffin and even then, it doesn't retain save data.