Question about Fox Fire vs. Fire Bolt

Floofer

Apr 5, 2018
For context my character is level 5, has 16 willpower, 83 spellpower. While grinding out skills with mirror stance, I got the power FireBolt and I noticed that it did a considerable amount of damage when compared to fox fire, 55 Fire damage when compared to fox fire dealing 21 Fire + 12 for 3 turns. Should fox fire be this weak?

While checking the CoC2 wiki for Firebolt it states: You conjure a blast of raw magic, hurling it at a foe to deal 30 + Spellpower(%) Fire damage.

With Foxfire's description from the same wiki page: Deals 20 + Spellpower(%) Fire damage and inflicts burns that do 10 + Willpower for 3 rounds.

By this logic, I would assume that the Fox fire would calculate the spellpower % damage just like firebolt, instead of just adding 1 point of damage to the initial base 20 damage, and add my 16 willpower for the burn damage, but as it stands it seems that only FireBolt is accurately calculating the damage, unless there are extra calculations the wiki does not mention/ it is out of date

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
No, based on those stats Foxfire should be telling you it does 37 damage plus 26 damage burn over those three turns. I just looked at my Champ who has very similar stats (80 Spellpower/15 Willpower) and it's reporting 36/25 for those numbers so I'm not sure why yours isn't.

Floofer

Apr 5, 2018
No, based on those stats Foxfire should be telling you it does 37 damage plus 26 damage burn over those three turns. I just looked at my Champ who has very similar stats (80 Spellpower/15 Willpower) and it's reporting 36/25 for those numbers so I'm not sure why yours isn't.

Interesting, I am running the current version of the game on this site so that should not be an issue, but I am curious as to what is really going on

Here I'll link a screenshot of the damage numbers, Firebolt is higher than what I said before because I leveled up to level 6

Attachments

• Buggy.png
    Buggy.png
    656.3 KB · Views: 14

drossbots

Sep 29, 2020
Hmmm.

I'm gonna type out the math for this.

Firebolt damage, ignoring ward, would be:

30+(30/100)*83=54.9 aka 55, like you said.

Foxfire damage, ignoring ward, would be:

20+(20/100)*83=36.6, probably 37 damage initially.

Then 16+10 for the burn damage, which, ignoring ward, is 78 damage over 3 turns.

So 115 damage in total.

My guess is the wiki is behind and the power got nerfed for being too strong. Cause that's a lot of damage.

Violyn

Jan 3, 2017
I'd like to point out the same as Floofer here, i even tested in older builds such as .3.17 and .3.30 and the damage is the same as well (21/12) even though my character had 100 spellpower.

Could be an issue with the players, since i save edit my game, but could be worth checking.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
My guess is the wiki is behind and the power got nerfed for being too strong. Cause that's a lot of damage.
And yet it's what my game reports (give or take a point) so I'm stumped why the math is different for them.

Foxfire.jpg

Violyn

Jan 3, 2017
Interesting, I am running the current version of the game on this site so that should not be an issue, but I am curious as to what is really going on

Here I'll link a screenshot of the damage numbers, Firebolt is higher than what I said before because I leveled up to level 6

Do you save edit your games floofer? just to make sure so the peeps can know if it could be a bug due to save editing!

Violyn

Jan 3, 2017
I just tested the ability in battle and the numbers seem to be fine, could be just a bug in the ability description... i think

upload_2021-2-24_2-5-58.png

Upcast Drake

May 27, 2017
Southeast USA
It's a bug. The description wasn't set up to be "live", so the numbers it would show would be locked in the first time they were created -- either when you got the ability or when you load the game. It'll be fixed in the next release. It was only a bug with the description though, the actual damage wasn't affected.