[Public Android 0.9.028] .apk not installing

Hargan

Mar 16, 2022
I have played the android app ever since it came out, every .apk has worked fine. I stopped at 0.923 for a while since there was a string of buggy releases and I didn't want to screw up my saves (since saving to file in the app is apparently broken. it works for some people, but not for others, including me.) However when attempting to update from 0.923 to 0.928, something I've done many times before on every other version, the app fails to install with a "failed to install" message. This is obviously very uninformative, but my guess would be that either the signature is wrong so the app won't accept the new version as a legitimate update, or it's built for the wrong architecture, or something else. Every other version up to 0.23 worked fine.

Hargan

Mar 16, 2022
Additional info: I still had the old 9.023 apk in my downloads so I did a clean installation on my phone to test. It installed fine, then when attempting to update with the 9.028 .apk it errored out. So I've now tried it with a phone and a tablet by two different manufacturers running two different versions of android. Both failed to update. So chances are it's not something specific only to my devices.

It could be that I need to first update from 9.023 to something slightly newer that predates 9.028, but the only one I can download is the latest one.

Hargan

Mar 16, 2022
How much space is there left on your phone?
Plenty. I have a good forty-odd gigs on the phone. The tablet only has about 5 gigs free, but that's more than enough for a 200 meg .apk to unpack and install. Again, every previous .apk worked fine and nothing has changed on my end since then.

Hargan

Mar 16, 2022
I now know of at least two other people who are having this same issue with updating from old versions. The only way to get the .apk to install is to completely uninstall the previous build and install 9.0.28 from scratch, which is less than ideal as it wipes all save data.