Kas's Company and Allies suck at being Generals

Boshe

Apr 4, 2022
Perks/SPECIALs are rewarding and have an impact on dialogue
Some perks are incredible, while most are so bad that even if they were to be buffed ten times, I'd still have to consider if I'd want to take them because of their intentionally situational design that sound like they were made for a different game entirely. Perks that do affect dialogue only have a handful instances to them (most have none at all and some only have one or two during the DLCs) all of which are either entirely flavor or are of questionable practicality, not to mention that most of them should've been reworked as traits. SPECIAL checks, dialogue or exploration, are similarly few, far in-between and are easily bypassed through common and generally weightless consumables, even if starting from the bottom score of 1.

excellent world design
Between re-introducing the energy-to-matter conversion, but a lot more sophisticated and largely disregarded as a curiosity by everyone, including the insane tech guy a lot of the game was propping up as a genius, putting a vault of space-age tech and the scientists that made and are slated to make more of it without any supporting infrastructure in the Courier's hands and then promptly forgetting all about its existence, the poisonous cloud that will eventually kill everyone and the funny mole people that will eventually kill everyone, the world design of Fallout had suffered greatly from Avellone's DLCs, to the extent that not even Fallout 4 dared approach.

the faction system
Is so irrelevant I've actually forgot about it. The system is used only once or twice for the NCR/Legion outside of giving you stuff and making nameless NPCs talk nicer to you, while everyone else has no such privilege. BoS faction can't be maxed out without finishing the worst DLC in the game in one specific way, Primm had its faction cut and more deserving towns had no faction at all. Only one faction, a major one and the most controversial one at that, out of them all actually gives something unique and possibly vital for some builds with its reputation. I honestly feel that if (and it really should've been; everyone giving you keys to far-away safehouses that have exactly three loadouts for different builds with different themes per faction splayed out on beds feels so incredibly uniformal and soulless that it should be taken as an insult) this system were to be cut, nobody would've missed it.

roleplay options
Are nothing noteworthy as they are, let alone with the whole Ulysses' series almost entirely setting your character's background for you.

Melancholy Man

Mar 23, 2023
Greenhills
Some perks are incredible, while most are so bad that even if they were to be buffed ten times, I'd still have to consider if I'd want to take them because of their intentionally situational design that sound like they were made for a different game entirely. Perks that do affect dialogue only have a handful instances to them (most have none at all and some only have one or two during the DLCs) all of which are either entirely flavor or are of questionable practicality, not to mention that most of them should've been reworked as traits. SPECIAL checks, dialogue or exploration, are similarly few, far in-between and are easily bypassed through common and generally weightless consumables, even if starting from the bottom score of 1.

Between re-introducing the energy-to-matter conversion, but a lot more sophisticated and largely disregarded as a curiosity by everyone, including the insane tech guy a lot of the game was propping up as a genius, putting a vault of space-age tech and the scientists that made and are slated to make more of it without any supporting infrastructure in the Courier's hands and then promptly forgetting all about its existence, the poisonous cloud that will eventually kill everyone and the funny mole people that will eventually kill everyone, the world design of Fallout had suffered greatly from Avellone's DLCs, to the extent that not even Fallout 4 dared approach.

Is so irrelevant I've actually forgot about it. The system is used only once or twice for the NCR/Legion outside of giving you stuff and making nameless NPCs talk nicer to you, while everyone else has no such privilege. BoS faction can't be maxed out without finishing the worst DLC in the game in one specific way, Primm had its faction cut and more deserving towns had no faction at all. Only one faction, a major one and the most controversial one at that, out of them all actually gives something unique and possibly vital for some builds with its reputation. I honestly feel that if (and it really should've been; everyone giving you keys to far-away safehouses that have exactly three loadouts for different builds with different themes per faction splayed out on beds feels so incredibly uniformal and soulless that it should be taken as an insult) this system were to be cut, nobody would've missed it.

Are nothing noteworthy as they are, let alone with the whole Ulysses' series almost entirely setting your character's background for you.
We did not play the same game or you just hated the game and did not give it a chance, not with how you're saying stuff. The multiple skill checks and routes alone in the starting area alone that preps you for the rest of the game will offer makes a lot of what you to be untrue. That video I sent that you referenced alone goes through several of them and references more of what the game offers. I remember times I was wondering through Legion territory near the lakehouse a little out from the cassadore desert on my last legs because those bastards hit hard, had to change my equipment to look like a Legion solider so I wouldn't get blasted and you're going to tell me it's unnoticeable? Nah, miss me with that noise.

Dr. Bootytaste

Jun 26, 2020
NC, US
www.youtube.com
If we're just talking about whatever I gotta let you know, every cat I've ever had has given birth either on or underneath my bed. One time, my cat gave birth on top of my bed while I was in it. She kept meowing so I turned on the light to see what was going on, and I found her there licking a tiny furry thing at my feet. Had to sleep on the couch that night.

• Haha
Reactions: Melancholy Man

Melancholy Man

Mar 23, 2023
Greenhills
If we're just talking about whatever I gotta let you know, every cat I've ever had has given birth either on or underneath my bed. One time, my cat gave birth on top of my bed while I was in it. She kept meowing so I turned on the light to see what was going on, and I found her there licking a tiny furry thing at my feet. Had to sleep on the couch that night.
I was trying to avoid the tangents man but they pulling me back in

Boshe

Apr 4, 2022
We did not play the same game or you just hated the game and did not give it a chance, not with how you're saying stuff.
I have 1630 hours of FNV logged on Steam. Do not misinterpret me being critical as me finding no merit in the game whatsoever.

The multiple skill checks and routes alone in the starting area alone that preps you for the rest of the game will offer makes a lot of what you to be untrue.
I did not raise any point against about skill checks, they are plentiful, even if their variety gets noticeably smaller in places that are not the most curated part of the game. My issues are with perk and SPECIAL checks.

I remember times I was wondering through Legion territory near the lakehouse a little out from the cassadore desert on my last legs because those bastards hit hard, had to change my equipment to look like a Legion solider so I wouldn't get blasted and you're going to tell me it's unnoticeable?
This is not a consequence of the faction system, but the disguise system, which could've very well existed without it.

Last edited:

Boshe

Apr 4, 2022
eh, the actual topic seems to be dead anyway, so why not

Reactions: valkyr42

Kingu2

May 20, 2020
As someone who absolutely loves F:NV I wholeheartedly agree with your critizism. And whenever someone brings up one of Harris' videos I don't know whether to laugh or cringe, the dude is not any kind of authority on game design, he's just a weirdo on the internet.

Melancholy Man

Mar 23, 2023
Greenhills
And whenever someone brings up one of Harris' videos I don't know whether to laugh or cringe, the dude is not any kind of authority on game design, he's just a weirdo on the internet.
Tell me you don't like someone without telling me you don't like someone, Damn what did he say that turned you off?
If you can clearly and concisely name points of observation, research and point out evidence that supports your claims, and intelligently explain your point then you're worth at least hearing out, IMO.
1630 hours
They say familiarity breeds contempt, they aren't lying. I got 60hrs in, not counting the times I've played it on release back in 360's prime. Look, It did something right that had you running up and down the Vegas strip, didn't it?

Boshe

Apr 4, 2022
They say familiarity breeds contempt, they aren't lying. I got 60hrs in, not counting the times I've played it on release back in 360's prime. Look, It did something right that had you running up and down the Vegas strip, didn't it?
to be perfectly honest with you, I don't know how much of that is the FO3 portion of TTW runs, how much of that was from sleeping with the game still on so that I wouldn't have to waste time rebooting it and how much was from plain debugging