In for the Long Haul (for Logardidnothingwrong)

Slemmandre

Oct 1, 2016
They're brought out on the deck to simply stand at the railing, Dia leaned up against it to keep a watchful eye on them both. The ship is bustling with activity now, sailors of all species climb rigging, swab the deck, and do everything in their power to make the place ship-shape. The bastard of a captain is at the helm, overseeing the whole process. She can see Angus at the front of the ship, polishing its figurehead of a snake, and he is among the first to shout "land ho!" at the first sighting only a few minutes later.

As they sail closer, Sarai can see that colorful market stalls line the whole coast. It's bustling with activity, making it almost seem as if the land itself were moving, and Gabrielle stares wide-eyed at the upcoming mess as if she's never seen such a thing.

Lorgardideverythingwrong

Sep 16, 2019
Sarai uses her ability to whisper to communicate "A busy market is the perfect place to escape Gabrielle. I can get us lost in the crowd and we'll be away from them faster than they'd think. There's a reason most people don't try to enslave Wood Elves."

After communicating that she would simply examine the coming marketplace and wait to dock. As soon as she was on land again she could begin mustering her magic. These Seafolk have no idea what they're dealing with...

Slemmandre

Oct 1, 2016
Gabrielle nods subtly in understanding. Her eyes are no less wide at the prospect of meeting the coming crowd head on, but she sees the logic in Sarai's plan.

The next time Angus walks past, Dia whistles at him to approach. He does, and they exchange some words out of earshot before he comes and stands guard by her. He doesn't say anything, just crosses his arms to match Dia and slips Sarai a sad smile.

The captain is wholly focused on getting them to shore. Once they're close enough, he maneuvers the ship broadside to the market's dock next to half a dozen other ships. A sleazy-looking half orc receives the ropes as they're tossed to him by miscellaneous crew, and soon, they're well-enough tied down that the gangplank is dropped. The captain takes the first steps to shore, beckoning Angus and Dia, who usher Sarai and Gabrielle in turn. He greets the half orc like an old friend, and addresses the slight crowd that has gathered, clearly anticipating the ship's arrival.

Meanwhile, for the first time in what feels like a week, Sarai is standing on stable ground. Angus's hand is on her shoulder, while Dia's is (quite firmly) placed on Gabrielle's. No longer confined by the ship, she can feel her magic flowing through her...

Lorgardideverythingwrong

Sep 16, 2019
She smiles and reaches her hand over to Gabrielle. Physical contact with the person you want to effect is absolutely vital. As they begin to move through the crowd she musters her magic and then. When it has filled her as much as it can she releases it. Fog begins to blanket the marketplace and the very earth seems to swallow the two women.

Once they are underground Sarai quickly uses the Wildroots to take them away from the marketplace. Someone like Angus or Dia might be able to follow them through the Wildroots but she doubted it. They would eventually emerge after about fifteen minutes of travel over a mile inland and away from the market. She beckons to a no doubt shocked Gabrielle to follow her quickly. They won't know where to look for them but that doesn't mean they should stay close. They need to get inland. She can feel a forest nearby and she'd happily bet a Wood Elf's ability to play hide and seek in a forest against any other race in the world.

Slemmandre

Oct 1, 2016
As they're just beginning to disappear underground, the breath is suddenly robbed from Sarai's body as a strong hand grips her by the neck. The slight prickle of claws is all she needs to know that it's Dia trying to hold her back. However, the development only lasts a terrifying moment before a great weight—Angus—throws itself into Dia, knocking her grip from Sarai so that she and Gabrielle can escape.

And so each magical moment transpires, one after the next, until they're standing in a coastal grassland. They're indeed far enough from shore that no immediate threats pose themselves, but Gabrielle is more than happy to race further inland with Sarai.

"You really just did that?" She gasps.

Lorgardideverythingwrong

Sep 16, 2019
"Yes. Though it's unlikely we would have been able to do this had Angus not interfered. He's too good a man for that crew. Him at least I hope to see some day."

She looks around again to gather herself.

"Come on Gabrielle. We'll need to hurry. I have no doubt that crew will be after us. Once we get into the woods I might be able to call on a bit more magic but truthfully that's about as much power as I could ever have. When we get to the woods we can rest a bit. I can make sure that we at least don't leave any traces of our passing under the cover of the trees."

Slemmandre

Oct 1, 2016
"He did help us. Oh, God. I hope things turn out alright for him." Gabrielle says, still a bit bewildered. "But I'm with you now. After all that, I really trust you, you know. You're my best shot at making it out of this."

As Sarai leads the charge to the woods, Gabrielle keeps up well with her every step. En route, the terrain gets a bit more hilly, and at the peak of a particularly large slope, Sarai can see the distant shapes of a search party. It's not the sailors after her, it seems, but the party anticipating the ship's arrival. Bidders, perhaps?

At the front of their ranks is the unmistakable form of Dia. She's far away now, but given how much land she's covered, there's no telling how far she'll go in the chase.

Lorgardideverythingwrong

Sep 16, 2019
"Shit. They're already on our heels. Gabrielle once we enter the trees I'm going to begin calling to the forest. It will shield us from all but the most determined or devoted searchers. I can also call on it to arm us. A wooden weapon isn't much but it is far better than nothing."

She says as they enter the treeline. Sarai calls to the forest in her people's tongue. Asks for shelter for her and her friend. That they are pursued by enemies most terrible and are in desperate need of succor. The forest grants part of her request quickly. A spear made of hardwood falling near her and another for Gabrielle.

"Good. If you can climb Gabrielle make it up into a tree with me. It will be easier for the forest to hide us there!"

Slemmandre

Oct 1, 2016
Sarai can feel an agreeable hum in her magical senses, as if the forest is making haste to accept them. Gabrielle takes her spear and quickly makes for the nearest sturdy tree. It's a good choice of one, with a thick base, healthy branches, and plentiful nubs for footholds, enough so that Sarai has to wonder if they materialized as part of her request. With practiced skill, Gabrielle maneuvers as deftly as she can, even with the detriment of having one hand occupied. The way she uses her momentum means she's definitely done this before, and whenever it seems she might slip, she always finds purchase instead one arm's length higher. Soon, she's settled on a branch that's sturdy enough for two, steadying her crouched body with a hand and balancing the spear with the other.

Lorgardideverythingwrong

Sep 16, 2019
She quickly climbs up after her and settles on on the branch. Allowing the magic of the forest to close in around te and hide them from their enemies and pursuers. To odds of them finding this specific tree when their tracks in the forest below never appeared are astronomical. She settles in with Gabrielle to wait. This is the critical moment.

Slemmandre

Oct 1, 2016
The treetops bend to her purpose. Surrounding leaves and branches shift their position to begin encasing them in a natural disguise. However, before they're safely hidden, the process stops short. Sarai can feel a tension in her magic... a conflict. As if she were just grabbed by the wrist mid-swing and restrained, which now materializes into a budding headache.

"Hello."

Of all things Sarai would expect at a time like this, a shy, tinny voice's greeting is likely not one of them. But it's suddenly there nonetheless, and unless her eyes are failing her, it's belongs to the sweet-faced blonde woman who's now staring at them from a few branches up. Her own hand is tensed and extended, as if barring Sarai's magic, and her dark eyes are wide with determination.

"Is there room for one more?" she asks, as if this weren't extremely strange.

Gabrielle whispers to Sarai. "She wasn't there just a moment ago. I swear it."

Lorgardideverythingwrong

Sep 16, 2019
"Of course there's room...." She says as amiably as she can. "We're currently evading some rather dangerous people I doubt they'd show any mercy to you either."

Sarai makes room for the strange woman. Triaging the concern. This woman is an unknown quantity, the pursuers are a known threat. They need to keep things in mind.

Slemmandre

Oct 1, 2016
"Thank you. I know they won't. That's why I'd like to offer my help in return. But silence, first."

Without fear, the new woman plunges daringly down to their branch. The leaves bristle, and the branch quivers beneath her sudden weight before settling stiff again. Without the woman's interference, Sarai is able to recall upon the forest's protection. Other trees extend their branches to swaddle them in swathes of leaves, and from the density of their placements in the forest, the faux-cocoon around them manages to look natural. The spell's complete. Sarai can feel the dull exhaustion that comes with the moment post-casting, but they're now sheltered.

Sarai can now get a better look at their new company. She wears a tattered sundress with wooden sandals, and certainly has the look of someone who's been mussed by a trek through the woods. Her dark eyes seem black in the shade of the canopy, and her blonde hair falls to her mid back in gentle waves.

Lorgardideverythingwrong

Sep 16, 2019
Sarai reaches over to give Gabrielle's hand a warm squeeze while studying this new woman and waiting. It will be some time before they can safely leave and she wants to make sure that the three of them get out of this alright. She pulls Gabrielle a little closer and puts her arm around her to keep the human woman close. Making sure the other woman is comforted by her warmth.

Slemmandre

Oct 1, 2016
Gabrielle returns the affection, wrapping an arm around Sarai's waist and squeezing her hand tighter than ever. Her heart seems ready to thud out of her chest, she notices, but Gabrielle manages at least to steady her breathing by pressing her face into the warm crease of Sarai's neck.

The new woman respects the distance between them, though in the dark of their hiding spot, it's hard to tell if she's watching them or the ground below.

And all at once, after all their preparation and waiting, it's the moment of truth. Feet thunder against the ground below, frenzied in the search for the two women. Shouts of "That way!" and "Search there!" fill the void of silence, though interestingly enough, the rabble speaks only with concern for "The goddamn human!". Any mention of Sarai is accompanied by talk of her stunt, not by talk of her as a commodity for sale, like they speak of Gabrielle.

In time, just as Sarai's legs are beginning to cramp, the frustrated mob soldiers past, and the sounds they make pass with them.

"They're gone." The newcomer states after what she deems a sufficient length of time.

Lorgardideverythingwrong

Sep 16, 2019
"We should wait a bit longer just to be sure. Then we can make our way deeper into the woods and set up a camp. My forest sense tells me that there's a lake nearby. The forest will hide us but she must be cautious."

She gives Gabrielle another warm look and another squeeze of her arm as they wait just a little bit longer before climbing down from the tree to prepare to head for the lake.

Slemmandre

Oct 1, 2016
Gabrielle follows, keeping a watchful eye on their new addition with the odd skeptical glance. The newcomer is the last in their train down the tree, and she makes her way with bold, albeit fumbling movements until they all three are safe on the ground. The tracks of the search party bear noticeably into the soft earth, pointing the direction that they've traveled.

"There's no need to camp," the newcomer pipes up. "I live in a fortress nearby. I can show you there, and shelter you, too. That's the help I can give."

Lorgardideverythingwrong

Sep 16, 2019
"Forgive me for being a little cautious miss...." She trails off uncertain of the Woman's name. "But we've just met and my people excel at remaining undetected in a forest. I'm reasonably confident I could keep Gabrielle and myself safe and fed indefinitely in these trees." She says with another warm glance to the human woman.

"Your offer is very kind. Perhaps you could join us for a few days so that we might get to know you?" She offers politely. She had already helped them but she'd suffered once before from being trusting to a friendly face.

Slemmandre

Oct 1, 2016
Gabrielle plants herself by Sarai's side and weaves their fingers together, as if assessing the woman with her.

The woman keeps a calm expression, although she seems a bit taut in response to the suspicions and suggestions.

"Evelyn is my name," she says, crossing her arms across her sizable chest. "I'd be grateful for the chance to accompany you, and to help forage with what slight knowledge I do have. But you understand... that gives you a perfect chance to turn me over to them. Not that I think you have it in mind! But even so, will you swear that you won't hurt me? I want to stay together, and I don't like it on my conscience that I owe you."

Lorgardideverythingwrong

Sep 16, 2019
"On my honor we will do nothing to harm or expose you Evelyn. I simply wish for time to get to know you. You've already started off strong. I've just gotten into a bad position before by trusting a kind face and a welcoming smile."

Sarai says while leading them deeper into the forest eventually finding the lake she was looking for.

"Based on the position of the sun we should have a few hours before darkness. We should be able to gather all the bounty we need to keep ourselves fed for a few days here though I would suggest that we all stay together. I don't want anyone getting separated.

She walks over to Evelyn to shake her hand. "It is good to meet you though. I'm glad to have you with us." She then turns to Gabrielle and hefts her wooden spear.

"Come on Gabrielle let's see if we can't get a few fish from the lake with these."

Slemmandre

Oct 1, 2016
"If there's no reason to hurt you, I won't hurt you. But I can swear we won't expose you to them. That would just be evil." Gabrielle says, her skepticism gradually melting away.

Evelyn smiles deeply, green eyes aglow, and with already-pink cheeks a bit more deeply flushed than usual. She shakes Sarai's hand with a deceptively strong grip, moving slowly and steadily in the action, and offers the same to Gabrielle, who accepts with cheery sincerity.

Surely due to its out-of-the-way location, the lake is quite beautiful, seemingly un-desecrated by the presence of any other wayward travelers. The hot sun of early evening glitters across its serene surface, and Gabrielle's eyes are all but twinkling at the chance to work and play in the cool folds.

"One step ahead of you!" she giggles, filling her cupped hands with water and dousing her own self. Soon as she's satisfied, she hefts her spear, and jabs at the first collection of dark shapes she can see swimming beneath the surface.

Lorgardideverythingwrong

Sep 16, 2019
She smiles at Gabrielle's enthusiasm and gives Evelyn a nod as she joins her new friends in gathering supplies as the sun gradually sinks lower and lower. By the time night has properly fallen they have a decent collection of fish and berries.

As night fully falls Sarai smiles to her companions. "Well I think this is enough for a while. I'm just about tapped out on power but I should be able to call on the forest to shield us for the night. I'm going to work on making beds for us. I'd recommend sleeping in the same general area for safety." She smiles at Gabrielle meaningfully.

Slemmandre

Oct 1, 2016
As the sun finally sets on Sarai's hellish day, there's a new nip of cold to the air. It's not devastating, but certainly cooler than it was, and enough to make someone shiver through the night if they went without any source of warmth. Meanwhile, between gathering berries, Evelyn has taken the liberty of gathering some broad, intact leaves. It's a start towards beds, for sure.

Gabrielle smiles back with a knowing twinkle in her eye. "Safety. Uh-huh. Dibs on being big spoon," she says.

Lorgardideverythingwrong

Sep 16, 2019
"I don't mind that." She says playfully as they finish gathering the last of the material they'll need for the beds. Once everything was fully prepared she smiled at her new friends and began to settle down for the night. She gave Gabrielle another playful smile and settled down for the night inviting her to be the big spoon. Thinking to herself that ending up here wasn't so terrible since it lead her to people like Gabrielle and Evelyn.

Slemmandre

Oct 1, 2016
Gabrielle settles in with a terrific yawn, wrapping her arm around the front of Sarai's waist in standard big spoon fashion, and tucking her soft body to fit against the crooks of Sarai's own. It's not the most comfortable thing, sleeping on a forest floor, which seems to strike Gabrielle in a new fit of trying to comfortably position her head. But they've done well enough for themselves in crafting a bed for the night, and the presence of another body against hers ensures that Sarai is plenty warm.

Evelyn settles a respectful distance from the two of them, laying with her arm tucked beneath her head. It's too dark to tell if there's any palpable envy in her eyes, but she's certainly staring at them both.

Lorgardideverythingwrong

Sep 16, 2019
She yawns and prepares to drift off for the night. Her magic is pretty much all but exhausted but if nothing else the forest will make sure they aren't surprised. She gives Evelyn a last friendly look as she settles more fully into the human womans embrace. Sighing softly in her arms her surprisingly nice ass pressed against her new.... friend as sleep slowly takes her.

Slemmandre

Oct 1, 2016
They come to unmolested, and as intact as they were before falling asleep.

Fortunately, being so well acquainted with the forest lets Sarai get an uninterrupted night of sleep, feeling only a bit stiff in the morning. Gabrielle, however, is red-eyed and restless, already wide awake by the time Sarai is, and certainly worse for wear.

"Ughhh. Not that the woods aren't beautiful, or that I'm not so grateful they saved us... but that was really not ideal," she grumbles.

Evelyn is gone from her spot, and is nowhere to be seen.

Lorgardideverythingwrong

Sep 16, 2019
"I understand Gabrielle. Maybe we should take Evelyn up on her... wait where has she gone?" The elf said looking about.

"I hope nothing untoward has happened to her. Let's go see if we can find her Gabrielle. We'll stay at her home from here on out. I was thinking more of immediate safety than your comfort. I won't make that mistake again. Let's go."

Sarai would begin to search the nearby woods hoping to find Evelyn with Gabrielle.

Slemmandre

Oct 1, 2016
With a yawn that's powerful enough to move mountains, and after a series of sharp stretches to soothe her sore back, Gabrielle perks up enough to follow Sarai's lead.

"Funny of her to leave when she's been so serious about tailing us. And have you noticed the weird way she's always watching whenever we're close together? I think she's lonely," Gabrielle muses, before continuing still in thought. "And don't worry so much about my comfort. It was no mistake, being humbled for a night. I would much rather be out here than being literally sold. Even if it turns me into a total sourpuss this morning."

As they walk along together, Gabrielle stops briefly in her tracks.

"Hey, uh- while we've got this moment alone, I just want to talk really quickly. We've been sort of desperate to cling onto one another, even if it's been only a day. But I still mean it when I say I want to keep getting to know you better, Sarai. You're so smart and kind. You've done everything to help me and Evelyn both. And if we weren't in the possible life-death situation that we were in, I'd say it's cute when you get so serious. Um. What I'm trying to say is, you really saved me back there. But even if this never happened, I think I'd like you even if I got to know you under normal circumstances. So let's give you and me a try when this nightmare is all said and done? I don't know how far we are from my village, but we can figure it out, and I can take you there, someday."

Last edited:

Lorgardideverythingwrong

Sep 16, 2019
"I'm a bit worried about her yes. If she was lonely us being as close as we have been might have made her sad or upset. That's why I hope we find her soon. I think we would be well served staying with her for a time. I love the forest but I won't deny loving a comfortable bed just as much."

She continues her search for a while until Gabrielle says her peace stopping herself and blushing deeply.

"Well when things calm down I would love to get into you--- gods I mean to get to know you better! I... Well I mean. Gods we should probably keep looking right? It's rather warm out right now." She says trying to distract from just how deeply she is blushing. Quickly moving off ahead though often looking back at Gabrielle as they look for Evelyn.

(I really enjoyed this while it was on going. Seems my story teller has gone missing. Seemingly for good. If anyone actually read this and enjoyed it I'm glad you did.)

Last edited: