Imp fights incredibly annoying?

G

Gate

I don't know if anyone else feels the same way but after a certain point seeing a horde of imp enemies is just the most frustrating thing especially if there are a bunch of shankers because they all just constantly keep healing each other and like 9/10 turns they have the same or MORE hp after i attack them. Focusing on one at a time doesn't seem to help either. Does anyone have any tips or feel the same way about it? Honestly especially with the level cap a good portion of the late game areas are things i just don't want to deal with because im maxed out with max companions and then lose all my health turn one in places like the glacier or have a stupid long grind against imps everywhere else. I have similar issues with each class i've tried so far, mainly play as one of the mage options but have had issues even as a warrior.

wery12345

Aug 1, 2021
Kill the imp lord, hes the asshole healing them, if you take him out they cant heal, and who do you normally use as companions?

AKnottyMoose

Oct 7, 2021
The Undermountain, where the upgraded Imp encounters begin, is meant to be a level 7 area. It'll probably be a bit easier once the level cap gets increased.

I usually go for the Imp Lord first, then AoE spells with Mage PC (arc cannon/vitality reap/shatter) and cleave with Brint. Etheryn/Cait keep everyone topped up and contributing to DPS occasionally. The fight is no doubt more frustrating if you aren't a mage PC, given there aren't as many effective AoE options. When I was grinding them to complete the nursery, Brint and Etheryns ultimate skills were really nice for wiping the floor with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Burnerbro
G

Gate

Cait and Brienne are the companions i usually have with me both as standard move sets. And i've tried focusing the imp lord but often there will be two or more shankers and all of those bastards can heal and guard making it difficult to get anything done. On my current playthrough i've mainly gone as a white mage with offensive spells because of the kinu event but i might try changing to pure black mage and see if that works any better. Its just super annoying to have fights like the imps that can just stall forever or fights with enemies who can beat the shit out of even brienne in like one turn. I know there's more content i haven't done in the glacier but i just can't be bothered to go to an area where i might have to use devotion in the first fight just to do anything.

Spidereggs

Sep 4, 2021
On my main save (charmer), they go down easily with resolve nuking - sexiness and temptation up, dancer Cait and bimbo Azyrran for companions, and smack them with Song of Splendor and Allure - usually that's enough to take out the whole group. The only encounter that setup doesn't work on in the Undermountain is the Earth Elemental, but running away from that is easy.

Reactions: Kesil

Kingu2

May 20, 2020
Cait and Brienne are the companions i usually have with me both as standard move sets. And i've tried focusing the imp lord but often there will be two or more shankers and all of those bastards can heal and guard making it difficult to get anything done. On my current playthrough i've mainly gone as a white mage with offensive spells because of the kinu event but i might try changing to pure black mage and see if that works any better. Its just super annoying to have fights like the imps that can just stall forever or fights with enemies who can beat the shit out of even brienne in like one turn. I know there's more content i haven't done in the glacier but i just can't be bothered to go to an area where i might have to use devotion in the first fight just to do anything.
Not really a novel idea but, you know you could just lower the difficulty. that's what I do just so I can take off manual mode and get through fights faster without having to pay attention.

Burnerbro

Oct 24, 2020
On my current playthrough i've mainly gone as a white mage with offensive spells because of the kinu event but i might try changing to pure black mage and see if that works any better.
I'd suggest switching to a paladin (i.e. a hybrid white mage and warrior) build, since atm the magic seems to be far less potent than hitting the enemy on the head with a stick when it comes to single target damage.

Going back to the topic of annoying encounters where you are mobbed down, the lead dev has recently mentioned a big combat rebalance that is due around the new year, and in the same thread he brought up the idea of the team moving away from horde-like design for hostile encounters.

wery12345

Aug 1, 2021
Also the shankers dont heal, only the lord has heals. Switch Cait to hexblade to have some resolve heals to help with the warlocks. Also ice brint will probably be better then the melee stuff.

G

Gate

Also the shankers dont heal, only the lord has heals. Switch Cait to hexblade to have some resolve heals to help with the warlocks. Also ice brint will probably be better then the melee stuff.
"The Imp Shanker is drawing aggro. The Imp Shanker heals his wounds and protects the Imp Lord with his full body. (+36)"
Also, i have Brienne, literally cannot get ice brint. I had a fight of all shankers and a lord. Everyone constantly healed and it was a massive pain in the ass.

G

Gate

I'd suggest switching to a paladin (i.e. a hybrid white mage and warrior) build, since atm the magic seems to be far less potent than hitting the enemy on the head with a stick when it comes to single target damage.

Going back to the topic of annoying encounters where you are mobbed down, the lead dev has recently mentioned a big combat rebalance that is due around the new year, and in the same thread he brought up the idea of the team moving away from horde-like design for hostile encounters.
I initially wanted to do a paladin type build but idk if i just did my stat allocation wrong or something but my weapon attacks/skills don't seem very effective.

Avallonkao

Oct 31, 2021
I just shamelessly put on the story mode after meeting the imps and minotaurs' rapists. Like, damn, the imps were annoying, but the minotaurs almost defeated my party with just a few hits. And I'll keep it this way until the combat gets more balance or we get the lvl cap higher, etc.

Reactions: Lone Wolf115

Lone Wolf115

I just shamelessly put on the story mode after meeting the imps and minotaurs' rapists. Like, damn, the imps were annoying, but the minotaurs almost defeated my party with just a few hits. And I'll keep it this way until the combat gets more balance or we get the lvl cap higher, etc.
Mine is always on that difficulty.

Reactions: Avallonkao

Lone Wolf115

Getting chain-disarmed by the Shankers is the biggest frustration. That's what I get for always playing Warriors and Thieves.
Throw some spells in your powers. I recommend the Fireball spell great AoE and Shatter. Ivris can teach you Fireball.

Burnerbro

Oct 24, 2020
Simply be a kitsune and fucking chuck unlimited fox fire at them.
Legally distinct Unlimited Blade Works for warriors wen? :catte:

I initially wanted to do a paladin type build but idk if i just did my stat allocation wrong or something but my weapon attacks/skills don't seem very effective.
Assuming that your character's Agility and Strength are up, I think the issue is caused by both Armor and specific types of physical damage resistance fluctuating the most out of all the damage mitigation stats between various enemy types. So while your mage is doing more or less the same amount of damage to most enemies, most physical attacks that will one shot an enemy caster or thief types (provided that they get hit) will do little against a highly armored target, like a dedicated tank.

You can deal with it by equipping one or two armor buying moves, like Thunder Strike, Shell Cracker, or some of the moves that you can steal from enemies and learn from tomes.

Hopefully the level 7 Power pool for the Warriors will have a good Sundering skill as well.

Burnerbro

Oct 24, 2020
Given that Powers come with even-numbered levels, I wouldn't go getting my hopes up for this. Plus, what Savin has said in the context of gameplay balance makes it clear that we're getting new Perks with the next level, just like we did at Lv3.
Right, for some reason I read "perks" in that very same post as "powers". Still, even though they are very rare, there are Powers with odd number level requirements. So while won't be getting more Powers for the class Power pools, there can be more trainers that will teach us cool physical moves, and having at least one available would make a lot of sense for a capital of a kingdom that boasts the best standing professional army.

Drash

Mar 22, 2017
As someone who only plays the game occasionally, it's kind of annoying to load up an old save with a maxed out character and find you cant do anything with it. I head off into the woods and repeatedly lose to a pack of imps because I cant attack anything the entire battle.
I couldn't even draw agro effectively to allow my other party members to deal damage. Is this how the game works now?

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
If you can't attack because you're Disarmed, consider bringing along companions who won't be crippled by that and/or giving yourself some Powers that don't depend on having a weapon equipped. It's not the game's fault if you've put all your eggs in one basket, build-wise.

luciel1331

Oct 20, 2021
As someone who only plays the game occasionally, it's kind of annoying to load up an old save with a maxed out character and find you cant do anything with it. I head off into the woods and repeatedly lose to a pack of imps because I cant attack anything the entire battle.
I couldn't even draw agro effectively to allow my other party members to deal damage. Is this how the game works now?
Imps are pretty annoying especially when they disarm you. To counter that though, equilibrium as at-will power super helpful. Power wave is also great for fighting flying enemies like imps and its cool down is low and also beating the stone elementals in Undermountain. Also, always drink alcohols with different boons. Ones with willpower boon is probably better for warrior and thief though since magic attack seems to be better with dealing with imps rather than melee attacks.

I played with it a bit on normal mode and found so far as a thief, bringing Brint & Cait or Arona & Cait to be good combo. Focusing the thief pc to hit hard and crit often to be seems to be reliable. Cait is used as healer for both health and resolve. Have Brint or Arona on high threat to draw attention to them while pc keeps threat low and obscured by using sneak attack. Then use blinding beauty & smoke bomb so twist the knife perk gives extra damage boost. Honestly bc of that perk Brint is better than Arona. For those with Brienne, though maybe Ryn in her outrider gear might work. Then the pc should hit hard while spamming negative effects on enemies and crit often by using equipment like hornet ring, lucky strike, etc. Chrysanthemum Petal on main and kunai on offhand are pretty good combo.

For warriors, I usually bring Arona & Cait or Atugia & Cait where Cait is healer, Arona is support damage/tank, and Atugia as aggro tank. One method is to use bessy mauler with hornet ring, lucky strike ring, & drink boon with maximizing cunning to crit the shit out of enemies. It draws high threat to you though so having equilibrium as at-will power is a must and have Arona in chieftain bronze for inspiring wrath to boost damage helps. Other method is equipping swift sword OR dual wield sanctified gladius and balanced blade for weapons. Then wear wizard's ring, witch's hat, and lucky strike for high attack and spellpower build. For this build, I have equilibrium, power wave, blessing, and smite evil equipped. First use equilibrium, 2nd turn: blessing, then 3rd turn: use smite evil to take out imp lord first and then focus taking out imp warlock combining power wave and blessing. You can also use white fire too since holy damage is effective against imps and it has low cooldown. Atugia is better for this build since she's a better tanker then Arona and her having eternal light is extra resolve heal.

Although honestly if you want to steam roller the imps, resolve damage is the best.
Using aphrodisiac whip, rosebloom shield, and maximizing presence via drink boons and bringing along Cait & Quin (cait being healer) or Cait & bimbo Azzy and charm nuke them using songs of splendor & allure and keeping the resolve up by bolstering dance works pretty much all the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baggrin

Baggrin

May 16, 2019

Does anyone have problems with imps in modern versions? I thought these problems only existed in the versions that I missed when I didn't play...

I join the comment above: learn Equilibrium, this Power is invaluable for any weapon user, although it is in combat with imps that I never use it.
Because even if some Shanker survived my two AoE attacks plus the attacks of allies, my Celestial Smite quickly put him to rest (eternal rest).

You can also take Winter Knight Brint into the group, he cannot be crippled by disarming, since his entire set of abilities consists of spells.
Or group up with Kiyoko, her Kami-no-Michi set contains the (holy!) answer for any melee attacker... and her AoE spell will silence casters forcing them to join the melee.

Oh, one more thing, you can take Queen Etheryn as your healer, because the Blessed AoE attack is divine.

Round 1: Deadly Shadow, Blessing.
Round 2: 0.4.18 Crit 181_3.png0.4.30 Imps.png
In the second case, a weapon without holy damage + lack of crits + absence of Brint dragged out the battle a little, but Round 3 was met by Imp Lord (immediately bled to death) and Imp Shanker B (experienced the pain of being hit by lightning Celestial Smitе)

P.S. I tried using stronger offhand weapons, but in the end I came to the conclusion that in a fight with opponents capable of bleeding, the Kunai is the best option.

wery12345

Aug 1, 2021
My current theif has no issues with them, AOE encounter and throwing knives literally just nuke especially with blue flame blade and the petal.

YEsManKablaam

Sep 2, 2015
The main thing I don't like about imps is that despite killing many many many of them I still encounter them a lot I dunno. I heard killing them lowers encounter rate is it by like a really small amount?

Shrike675

Apr 8, 2021
During the siege of khorminos quest there is a way to finish it that reduces the rate of encountering the level 6 imps to 50%. So half the time you'll get the weak ones you're used to from the old forest and the other half is the group that disarm spam heal stalls you.