I'm starting again and need a debate settled in my head.

YEsManKablaam

Sep 2, 2015
I accidentally deleted my data on my computer. I don't do much on here but this game was one of them and while it's not the end of the world it sucks. but so i don't dwell on it i figure maybe this can be an opportunity kinda to fix a few things (like not get the behemoth with the idea i can purify him lol. mayyyybe keep the cat harem instead of send them on their way with money if i can bring them to the wayfort instead??)

But before I start out I need to settle this for myself. I like being a paladin on this character at least. big heavy armor big shield and all that and holy magic. there's 2 ways to go about this

start out as white mage and pick up warrior stuff which was how i originally did it. wasn't bad and i do like the small bits added when talking about gods. and i liked having group heal give me extra heal and lay on hands is really nice for trying to tank and heal

or

starting out as a warrior and picking up white mage stuff as i go. i wear heavy armor and the passive is better than before too. Honestly my initiative was really terrible and extra aggro gain in general seems handy on top of that...

my build was usually more defensive focused trying to tank with also having leadership boosting items. group heal, blessing, sometimes a smite evil or summon or celestial smite cause i'd also swap to spiral blade but yeah. I'm just... I dunno maybe i just need to confirm will i miss out on a lot of things not having a god background? probably not right? But on the other hand starting as a white mage isn't exactly bad and the game isn't really that hard to necessitate this i suppose. a lot of this is just mind goblins.

also figure i'll actually have at that whole mirror blue mage thing if there's some decent moves to learn from it. I always avoided it since didn't feel ok to just beat up the blue lady for no reason but who knows. There might be some particularly holy or defensive magics to pick up maybe. or just some fighter techniques?

Lone Wolf115

I'd say start out as a warrior then white mage stuff. The rest I'm not sure about but warrior the mage stuff if you want to see if that will work. It probably will but you never know.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
It depends on how you play, I think. Do you like to roleplay your Champs? In that case you might consider picking which class to start in and which to train in later based on how you imagine them as a character. If that's not your thing then the big focus is probably going to be on Perks since that's the main thing that distinguishes classes (especially with the removal of restrictions on leveling stats), so compare the two and look at which works better for you. Warrior Perks make them (and your whole party after sleeping) better at taking physical blows, or if you aren't wearing any Heavy gear or using a shield you get an attack boost from Veteran. Meanwhile the White Mage Perks make you better-protected against magical attacks and gives you some extra healing. Mechanically speaking, if you're not going to be healing a lot then you'll probably get more out of Veteran than Healer's Hands but it depends on you.
I dunno maybe i just need to confirm will i miss out on a lot of things not having a god background?
Ummm, 'god' background or 'good' background? Because those are very different things. The former (ie, soulbinding) has major story implications to the tune of locking you out of at least one ending and maybe opting-in to another and alters your relationship with certain characters. The latter is mostly cosmetic though there are a lot of pc.bg checks and a few of them allow you to resolve (parts of) quests in different ways; the effect on your stats is very minor.
also figure i'll actually have at that whole mirror blue mage thing if there's some decent moves to learn from it. I always avoided it since didn't feel ok to just beat up the blue lady for no reason but who knows.
There will eventually be a way to get past her without fighting but it's gated behind content that isn't in the game yet so it's going to be a while.

YEsManKablaam

Sep 2, 2015
Ummm, 'god' background or 'good' background? Because those are very different things. The former (ie, soulbinding) has major story implications to the tune of locking you out of at least one ending and maybe opting-in to another and alters your relationship with certain characters. The latter is mostly cosmetic though there are a lot of pc.bg checks and a few of them allow you to resolve (parts of) quests in different ways; the effect on your stats is very minor.

God background i guess was as in a white mage with more knowledge of the gods. there's a few bits here and there where it pops up. Like how there's one or two spots where I figured having a veteran background changes somethings (like training that one woman i forget her name right off) it's just snippets of things here and there since generally speaking this is a pretty god focused story. So I guess I feel ti might skew towards that later. I might make alts for soul binding if i find one i like but it's a whole we'll see kind of thing.

and yeah true about the convocation part I asked about that now that i think about it i got an answer back too. I don't suppose there's a list of stealable powers or is it just literally any power is stealable?

ultimately i still need to just mull it over myself but thanks for just letting me bounce my thoughts off of. I suppose if it is coming down to rp I like the idea of white mage more even if I'm also going heavy armor lol... It's always just well look at this cool stuff over there kind of thing lol. Chasing too many skirts I suppose.

Alfenjeiser02

Jan 1, 2020
I accidentally deleted my data on my computer. I don't do much on here but this game was one of them and while it's not the end of the world it sucks. but so i don't dwell on it i figure maybe this can be an opportunity kinda to fix a few things (like not get the behemoth with the idea i can purify him lol. mayyyybe keep the cat harem instead of send them on their way with money if i can bring them to the wayfort instead??)
I made a template of default characters in cases like this if people didn't want to go through the tedious start, no main mission has been started, but I warn you that they are not legal although it has not caused me problems

the minotaur is the paladin