Getting pounded in the Undermountain *In Battle*

Legend~

Sep 28, 2021
Hello all, Im new to the forum, but a vet of the game/site.

I need help & ideas. I think I need to update my build of my PC. I keep getting stomped by imps, minotaurs, etc. I survived against the foes in the Glacial Rift, but barely.

I'm a Warrior Class. Lvl 6 Kitsune, All of my Party is Lvl 6 as well.

Current Build:

Screenshot (61).pngScreenshot (62).pngScreenshot (63).pngScreenshot (64).pngScreenshot (65).pngScreenshot (66).png

wery12345

Aug 1, 2021
Ive used that Cait and brienne in the tunnels and had minimal issues, its mostly your weird point spread, everything is too equal.

Legend~

Sep 28, 2021
Ive used that Cait and brienne in the tunnels and had minimal issues, its mostly your weird point spread, everything is too equal.
I had a feeling that may have been a issue. I was trying to be well balanced but its bit me in the ass.

Karru

Aug 22, 2021
There are several ways to optimize this build as far as I can see:

1) Not enough healing: As far as I can see, your only ways of healing are Champion's and Cait's self heal and items, which doesn't seem too reliable. As far as im concerned, Raiment Ryn is the best healer in the game, but if you want to keep Cait for RP reasons, switch her to the Witch outfit. Also, you could switch Mirror Stance with the new Lay on Hands (also helps with aggro but allows you to offheal), although it is not a necessity as long as you get a dedicated healer.

2)Your stats are not properly optimized for any role. It seems to me like you are your party tank, so I would advice to max Strength, Agility and Toughness (you can boost either Presence or Cunning with drinks). If you are your party dps, max Strength, Agility and Cunning (boosting either Toughtness or Presence with drinks).

3)Regarding your items, there are some suboptimal choices and anti-synergies:

• Rogue Ring is nullified by the Helm of Heroes, given how the Helm is a better item for your class and role, you should replace the ring with one of these alternatives: Mare's Ring, Lucky Strike or Charm.
  • Senninbari is only good if you are getting your ass kicked, and shouldn't be equipped unless you expect that (especially since Cait already gives you a safety net with Devotion). Replace it with a higher stated item and equip the Senninbari reactively in the middle of a fight (changing items does not take up your turn after all).
  • The War Scythe is meant for spellslinging. If you want to use a Two Handed Melee Weapon, try Galon's Griefmaker or the Weeb Sword.

4) Mark for Death is only good if you are not playing in manual mode. I would recommend switching it with Cleave given how you are lacking in AoE. Another alternative would be Grease (to support Brienne and CC on demand) and Lightning Fist (stun on demand and usable while unarmed). I can't make any comment on Steady Strike tho, I haven't used it but I can't find any flaws on doing so.

5)If you don't want to tank but rather be your team damage dealer, a nice movepool would be Sneak Attack/Shadow Strike/Cleave/Deadly Shadow. The main idea is to open with Deadly Shadow and follow it up with either Cleave or Sneak Attack, and the keep using Cleave or Shadow Strike followed by Sneak Attack (which is the melee equivalent of a Greaseball as far as I can tell). Regarding this set, a Thief would be able to net more damage but that would requiere further setup to exploit Twist the Knife.

6)Regarding you Ultimate, most ultimates suck ass, but if you are playing a Kitsune you always have the option of using Kitsunenuki (you unlock it by equiping a Fox Jewel, but do not need the jewel permanently equipped to use it).

Finally, regarding the Royal Leathers, it is not a really good item but I'm assuming it is there for RP reasons, so I'm not making any further comments on it. Hope any of these tips are useful.

Legend~

Sep 28, 2021
There are several ways to optimize this build as far as I can see:

1) Not enough healing: As far as I can see, your only ways of healing are Champion's and Cait's self heal and items, which doesn't seem too reliable. As far as im concerned, Raiment Ryn is the best healer in the game, but if you want to keep Cait for RP reasons, switch her to the Witch outfit. Also, you could switch Mirror Stance with the new Lay on Hands (also helps with aggro but allows you to offheal), although it is not a necessity as long as you get a dedicated healer.

2)Your stats are not properly optimized for any role. It seems to me like you are your party tank, so I would advice to max Strength, Agility and Toughness (you can boost either Presence or Cunning with drinks). If you are your party dps, max Strength, Agility and Cunning (boosting either Toughtness or Presence with drinks).

3)Regarding your items, there are some suboptimal choices and anti-synergies:

• Rogue Ring is nullified by the Helm of Heroes, given how the Helm is a better item for your class and role, you should replace the ring with one of these alternatives: Mare's Ring, Lucky Strike or Charm.
  • Senninbari is only good if you are getting your ass kicked, and shouldn't be equipped unless you expect that (especially since Cait already gives you a safety net with Devotion). Replace it with a higher stated item and equip the Senninbari reactively in the middle of a fight (changing items does not take up your turn after all).
  • The War Scythe is meant for spellslinging. If you want to use a Two Handed Melee Weapon, try Galon's Griefmaker or the Weeb Sword.

4) Mark for Death is only good if you are not playing in manual mode. I would recommend switching it with Cleave given how you are lacking in AoE. Another alternative would be Grease (to support Brienne and CC on demand) and Lightning Fist (stun on demand and usable while unarmed). I can't make any comment on Steady Strike tho, I haven't used it but I can't find any flaws on doing so.

5)If you don't want to tank but rather be your team damage dealer, a nice movepool would be Sneak Attack/Shadow Strike/Cleave/Deadly Shadow. The main idea is to open with Deadly Shadow and follow it up with either Cleave or Sneak Attack, and the keep using Cleave or Shadow Strike followed by Sneak Attack (which is the melee equivalent of a Greaseball as far as I can tell). Regarding this set, a Thief would be able to net more damage but that would requiere further setup to exploit Twist the Knife.

6)Regarding you Ultimate, most ultimates suck ass, but if you are playing a Kitsune you always have the option of using Kitsunenuki (you unlock it by equiping a Fox Jewel, but do not need the jewel permanently equipped to use it).

Finally, regarding the Royal Leathers, it is not a really good item but I'm assuming it is there for RP reasons, so I'm not making any further comments on it. Hope any of these tips are useful.
What good item would you replace Royal Leathers with?

Zbearbear

Sep 9, 2019
You might want to switch to melee Brienne because she has good AoE attacks for Imps, and I normally run default Cait as she's the best healer imo. Between Cait's healing and shielding, you shouldn't have any issues laying down damage with your MC and Brienne's AoE swings.

Reactions: Legend~

Karru

Aug 22, 2021
What good item would you replace Royal Leathers with?
I don't know lol. I mean, you are not making use of the extra Sexiness besides any emergency Tease, so you could try somthing more synergistic like a Breasplate or a Lamellar Armor. It is not bad tho, so maybe I should rephrase my previous statement.

VerySexyGrammar

Aug 27, 2015
Just from a quick glance, the most blatant issues:

1. You have no healer.

2. Pyromage Brienne is normally very good, but in the Undermountain it's just not a good set. Golems are nearly impervious to fire, Demons (including Imps) are resistant to fire, everything hits like a truck. She'll do better with her default set.

Your attribute points are all over the place, there are some in attributes that do very little for you. I'd respec, it's only 300 EC.

Since you're highly focused on offensive melee abilities, maybe switch the Scythe (the stats on that thing don't support any particular build) for something that has better Accuracy. Cloak of Winter would do more for you than Hirrud's Cloak, too (10 more Armor, 10 Focus of which you have none).

VerySexyGrammar

Aug 27, 2015
I've never seen "Lay on Hands" either. It's not even on the wiki. I see two character creation perks at once, maybe it's a modded save?

I think Royal Leathers are a fine suit of armor, definitely one of the best in the game. 60 Armor, 20 Evasion, 50 Ward... personally I wouldn't switch it for Lamellar, you'd lose 10 Evasion and 35 Ward just for 5 Armor and 10 Focus. Probably not for the Breastplate either now that I look at the stats, you'd gain 15 Armor and 30 Focus but lose 10 Evasion and 50 Ward.

Tiran Paladin armor could be an alternative, it's not necessarily better but it's comparable. Maybe the Dream-Plate, haven't gotten it yet so I have no idea what its stats are (the wiki is drunk again and lists two completely different sets of stats for it).

Legend~

Sep 28, 2021

1. You have no healer.

2. Pyromage Brienne is normally very good, but in the Undermountain it's just not a good set. Golems are nearly impervious to fire, Demons (including Imps) are resistant to fire, everything hits like a truck. She'll do better with her default set.

Your attribute points are all over the place, there are some in attributes that do very little for you. I'd respec, it's only 300 EC.

Since you're highly focused on offensive melee abilities, maybe switch the Scythe (the stats on that thing don't support any particular build) for something that has better Accuracy. Cloak of Winter would do more for you than Hirrud's Cloak, too (10 more Armor, 10 Focus of which you have none).
Thanks so much

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016

1. You have no healer.

You can go without a healer if you maintain Well Fed buff, put out lots of damage, and have the weeb belt in case of emergencies.
I've never seen "Lay on Hands" either. It's not even on the wiki. I see two character creation perks at once, maybe it's a modded save?
You can get Lay On Hands from Calise in the Undermountain, and you can get some of the other character creation perks from corrupted TF items like Red Cow Wine and the tainted stuff that Nash sells.

Legend~

Sep 28, 2021
Just so im not out of the loop, Weeb Sword is the Swift Sword and Weeb Belt is Senninbari <.<?

VerySexyGrammar

Aug 27, 2015
Ah, it's from Calise... the "unfinished" text scared me away from the talk options, but it's great to know, thanks.

Prent

Aug 8, 2021
Where can you learn "Lay on Hands"? Dont think ive learned that yet.
Lay on Hands was bad advice. You can only get it when in Khorminos Outskirts which is on the far side of the Undermountain. Just use Shielded stance instead.

Reactions: Burnerbro

Bast

Aug 12, 2021
This statement is so fuckin wrong it hurts, its always good to have on, considering it saves from random 1shot crits.

It really isn’t. It’s one of those noob trap items that as seen in Mmos noobs would wear because it seems useful at first glance but it actually is nerfing their damage or whatever it is what they’re trying to accomplish with their characters.
I play on dark mode and would pick a Hip Quiver every day over Senninbari.

But the game isn’t competitive, so to each their own.

Last edited:

wery12345

Aug 1, 2021
Considering I run cait/Kiyoko exclusively its been a godsend, because it gives cait a extra turn to heal my ass. Especially since I cant fucking 600 crit anymore.