Form vs Function

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
I'm curious about how many folks care more about either form or function when it comes to choosing their Champion's gear?

Personally, I lean more towards function. I'll break up a set of armor if a different pair of gloves or footwear or hat give better buffs.

What about you guys? Would your answer change if you actually had a character image like in Mass Effect?

Reactions: Aurore

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
I just get whatever has high sexiness (Without possibly hindering my other stats too much) when I can. The only exception is the belt/waist area, because screw it I'm absolutely keeping that Senninbari up to end game if it kills me.

Last edited:

Salomon

Jun 17, 2019
Curitiba, Paraná, Brasil
I prefer the form, I like to imagine my champion walking in a very stylish way
what's the use of being strong if you're not well dressed?

I just get whatever has high sexiness when I can. The only exception is the belt/waist area, because screw it I'm absolutely keeping that Senninbari up to end game if it kills me.
not using senninbari is an act of extreme cruelty, especially because it came from kiyoko and kinu.
A length of white silk, long enough to be wrapped about your waist and embroidered with a thousand red stitches. The very fabric itself is wrapped with an immense number of protective charms, fueled by the sheer strength of your fox-wife and daughter's love alike.

Salomon

Jun 17, 2019
Curitiba, Paraná, Brasil
malidica colder than 30 frost elves together. :negativeman:
This is not being cold, this is sabotaging the fire swallower to see the circus burn !!!
That's the whole point though, i have to sell it and it has to be to Kohaku so wifey and daughter find out i did so.
Dude, compared to you, the Joker would be a middle-aged financial accountant named Lester!

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
Okay, so what about the second part of my question; what if you could see your PC like in a more traditional VG? Could you stand your character looking like a doofus for better stats?

Aurore

Oct 23, 2020
Brazil
I had a mod that added very beautiful armor to the skyrim, but it was very weak, and I just couldn't play with anything else, result: I spent the whole game suffering for any type of enemy, but I was stylish until the end ( I appreciate the possibility of using my imagination at coc2)

Reactions: Paradox01

TheShepard256

I lean towards function over form, but if I could actually see my Champions and what they're wearing, I'd probably go as functional as I can without looking like a fashion disaster.

Also, funny you should mention Mass Effect because in one of the games (3 I think), I actually did go with form over function because there was a headpiece that had the best stat boosts for my playstyle but I didn't like the look of it, so I went for the headpiece with the second-best stat boosts instead (I think they were the Umbra and Mnemonic Visors, respectively).

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
best me2/3 headgear kuwashii visor, smdh - looks best and has sick headshot modifier

To answer the question, I make one notable concession to function over form - I wear the Witch's Hat even if it doesn't go with my outfit, because that Spellpower is very tasty. However, I hate myself for doing it.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
I generally go for form with my characters and will pass on something that offers a better bonus if I don't think it would fit them stylistically. I did make a concession to function with the Winged Sabatons for my Thief characters, until the slightly better-fitting Kunoichi Footwear came along.

Tenalc13

Mar 16, 2020
I usually choose something in the middle. First, I look at the statistics and choose the best. Then I visualize the outfit. And if it looks stupid I pick things up so they look good / realistic.
And yes, I probably changed something if we could see our character.
In most games I choose realistic equipment. Even in games with a challenge (like a soul series).

Reactions: Paradox01 and Kesil

SomeNobody

Dec 18, 2020
Its not like you can see what you're wearing.

For the most part I've just got whatever gear, mostly enchanted, that has the best stats/abilities in my eyes equipped.
Some I keep equipped for more roleplaying reasons of sentimentality, like the Amulet of Union/Senninbari or Mare's Ring.

SomeNobody

Dec 18, 2020
Yeah, but the game references your main article of clothing whenever it mentions you removing it for sex, which is often, seeing my masculine dude be described as removing his corset is very jarring.

Yeah that I can understand. My character is male and wears a Leather Coat for armour because the other options stats didn't mesh as well in my eyes, despite preferring the style of a character wearing proper body armour more
But even If they turned around and released a super overpowered dress that made you invincible I wouldn't equip it either despite being mechanically superior.

Guess I was talking personally about all the extra parts of what you can equip in all those other slots, which probably look pretty jarring when all meshed together in one outfit.
Or the fact I'm strolling around everywhere with a tower shield casually slung over my shoulder.

Reactions: Majincotton

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
I have two perfect examples, the Rosebloom Shield and the Hornet Ring.

The image I have of my Thief Champ is of a sexy, sneeky stabber from the shadows and the RB Shield just does NOT fit with that image. It's embossed with flowers and hornets, ferchrissake. Its stats, however, are just too damn good.

I like big Sweater Wreckers as much as the next guy, but ZZ?! C'mon, man, that's just too much! But, I can overlook that in a text game as long as I keep landing Crit after Crit with the Hornet Ring. I used to go through the trouble of reducing the size of my Champ's ta-tas after every other fight but I've given up at this point because let's face it, it's not like they're impeding me in any way. If this were a FPS, however, I might not even be able to get both hands on a rifle much less see down the sights (speaking of "overlooking").

Reactions: Titanio

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
I'm curious about how many folks care more about either form or function when it comes to choosing their Champion's gear?

Personally, I lean more towards function. I'll break up a set of armor if a different pair of gloves or footwear or hat give better buffs.

What about you guys? Would your answer change if you actually had a character image like in Mass Effect?

I can't see the kit my PC's wearing so I just get Number Go Up gear and maintain the same mental image regardless.

Akhter13

Aug 30, 2015
Yeah, but the game references your main article of clothing whenever it mentions you removing it for sex, which is often, seeing my masculine dude be described as removing his corset is very jarring.
But what about Captain Kirk's corset...
He had his carousing set to kill

Caprice Dhusara

Apr 21, 2020
Form over Function, all the way. Light armor and dual wielding a sword and dagger fits my roleplaying better than heavy armor and two handed weapons, even though the "Light" tag is supposed to be purely cosmetic for armor (at least according to the wiki) and I'd be more efficient despite the penalties using heavy gear.

snorlaxfan543

Jul 18, 2019
I prefer a mix of form and function, trying to stay to the ideal of a dual blade wielding rogue, always using the wide brimmed hat lol. it's pretty easy to stick to that standard though since most of the best thief or roguish gear fits that look

YEsManKablaam

Sep 2, 2015
in every game I play I always go form over function doesn't matter how hard it is I make it work. here I have yet to find proper armor I'm happy with. the retrofitted winter queen's stuff might work but the description still doesn't quiiiiite make it work I just want big heavy metal armor mostly. big paladin knight style and some of that is there but it's a little tough to make it work proper for me. And a proper Tower shield would be cool.

A luxury would be an upgrade to sanctified gladius but that's some wishful thinking here lol.