Dumbest things you believed when you were a kid

Aelana

Apr 16, 2020
I may have accidentally bullied my art teacher in junior high.

She had a name which was phonetically very similar to bonzai. For almost a year, whenever I asked something I thought I was calling her by her name, Miss Bonzai. Turns out I wasn't. She was going through some issues and couldn't really deal with teenagers at that time. I still am not sure whether she understood me calling her her true name, or bonzai.

sumgai

Jul 17, 2017
I don't know how, i recall it simply being a fact, not a big deal, it's just how it worked, never questioned it, but when i was about 7 or 8, i took a bunch of my parents $2 coins (Australia) and planted them so i could grow some money trees, i was curious to see what they looked like.

I remember a movie about that same premise... ah yes, It Grows on Trees. As I recall, the tree money would eventually wilt though...

Keet

Jun 15, 2018
Oklahoma
my grandma had me pretty convinced that eating after midnight would lead to ghosts eating over me and their drool would get all over my food and make me sick and I'd die. she ALSO had me convinced little people would that if the little people saw I was still awake they'd either steal me away into the woods never to be seen again OR would curse me with illness and I would die. Or play with me but then I get sick and die. Life with an NDN grandmother usually means pretty much everything wants to kill you for misbehaving and a lifelong fear of the little people.

SilverGhost

Oct 29, 2015
Haggis Land
I had a pair of puma trainers with the ferrari logo on them and I legit thought they would make me run faster.

Thought that my ancestors saw in black and white like the movies (Also thought this was a common belief but apparently not).

Reactions: Keet

Kitsune Lord Momiji

Jan 12, 2016
Hawkethorne
I thought girls had penises like boys until maybe fourth or fifth grade.

And now I lurk on a forum for games about girls having penises, so it's all come full circle.

qwerty

Sep 14, 2016
thinking that 2012 would be the end of the world, used to spend many nights dreading it only to find I had been betrayed when nothing happened...still enjoy the movie today lol

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
thinking that 2012 would be the end of the world, used to spend many nights dreading it only to find I had been betrayed when nothing happened...still enjoy the movie today lol
You were a kid in 2009??

sumgai

Jul 17, 2017
Good god I feel old...

It still shocks me to meet someone, talk with them a bit, and then realize they were in diapers when Dubya was still in office.

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
It still shocks me to meet someone, talk with them a bit, and then realize they were in diapers when Dubya was still in office.
Just as jarring is when you talk to someone and you assume they were in diapers when Obama was in office only to realize they could have voted for Reagan.

Reactions: Burnerbro and Keet

HeroicSpirit

Aug 22, 2019
When I was a kid, I was a Harry Potter fan (although obviously not anymore, thankfully) and used to be afraid there was Inferi in the water.

I also was afraid the Kraken from Pirates of the Caribbean was there too, along with, and I shit you not, the moss monsters from Lady in the Water by M.Night Shyamalan, a terrible film I’ve never seen.

Last edited:

Tobey Maguire

Mar 10, 2020
I don't remember my childhood. I can't even remember what I did a minute ago.
But seriously I used to think Godzilla was real and I would freak the fuck out until I remembered I didn't live in Japan and realize he couldn't get to me.

Charmbreaker

Apr 4, 2017
Embarrassingly, up until I was about 12 I didn't believe girls pooped. Now mind you, I was raised by my mother primarily and she would call child me into the bathroom to see her impressive deliveries on rare occasions. But my dumb ass didn't make the logical connection that my grown ass mother was indeed a girl.

Tinman

Aug 30, 2015
Embarrassingly, up until I was about 12 I didn't believe girls pooped. Now mind you, I was raised by my mother primarily and she would call child me into the bathroom to see her impressive deliveries on rare occasions. But my dumb ass didn't make the logical connection that my grown ass mother was indeed a girl.

As stupid as that was I'm a little more disturbed by your mother showing off her poop. I've broken a few toilets in my day, but I've never shown off my lumber deposits.

Charmbreaker

Apr 4, 2017
As stupid as that was I'm a little more disturbed by your mother showing off her poop. I've broken a few toilets in my day, but I've never shown off my lumber deposits.
When I think back on her bravado I can only laugh and feel a sense of endearment. Wouldn't change a thing.
I've never shown off mine either but I have to admit that I've been proud of some.