CoC edited save message

kinkshamer

Feb 8, 2016
Personally I find the message more of a bother than useful. I know it's edited, that's not something that happened by accident but sometimes you need to change something in a save rather than make an entirely new character.

I would suggest to make it possible to turn this warning off in the settings. Those getting this message should be aware of the risk and shouldn't need to bother with warning messages every time they load the save.

Reactions: Malidica

TheShepard256

When reporting bugs they want you to give the save anyway. Since they can then see that it's edited, it really changes nothing for them and saves them no time.
The devs don't want to waste time trying to fix a bug only to discover it was due solely to save editing and would thus be impossible to reproduce on an unedited save. As such, they have a policy of discarding edited saves so they don't have to waste time on cases like that.

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
When reporting bugs they want you to give the save anyway. Since they can then see that it's edited, it really changes nothing for them and saves them no time.
And how do you think they know your save file has been edited when they take a look at it?

BECAUSE OF THE WARNING THAT POPS UP.

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
Yeah but like i suggested once before, i think what he's suggesting is a toggle in the menu to display the warning, the save would still be marked but players wouldn't have to see it if they don't want to.
For that to work, you'd have to have some sort of log in to the main menu itself so the program would remember beforehand to not even throw up the warning after you load an edited save. And even if there was a workaround for that (a generic, "I dunno if you've edited the game or not but just in case, here's a toggle to turn off any edited/corrupted save warnings for edited saves you may or may not load"), the game would have to acknowledge the Save Editor which I'm sure the devs are not interested in doing (because the Save Editor isn't, you know, official in any way).

kinkshamer

Feb 8, 2016
And how do you think they know your save file has been edited when they take a look at it?

BECAUSE OF THE WARNING THAT POPS UP.

Thinking some more about it it would require a split in how data is saved, one for the actual characters and one for the game settings (the ones that you don't want to be character-specific. Things like difficulty obviously should remain character-specific).
I get why they wouldn't do it at this point but I would've designed that a little different from the start.

For that to work, you'd have to have some sort of log in to the main menu itself so the program would remember beforehand to not even throw up the warning after you load an edited save. And even if there was a workaround for that (a generic, "I dunno if you've edited the game or not but just in case, here's a toggle to turn off any edited/corrupted save warnings for edited saves you may or may not load"), the game would have to acknowledge the Save Editor which I'm sure the devs are not interested in doing (because the Save Editor isn't, you know, official in any way).

They wouldn't need to acknowledge anything. Changing your savefile in a text editor will also generate the warning message.

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
They wouldn't need to acknowledge anything. Changing your savefile in a text editor will also generate the warning message.
Yeah, and in either case the devs would rather you DIDN'T edit your game beyond the few cheats THEY design and implement. If the main menu had an option "Turn Off Edit Warning Notice At Start-Up", you have three things happen:

1) People would go, "Huh????" and either search the internet on how to edit the game or flood the forums with "HAO DO I EDIT" threads.
2) People would blame the devs when their edited game file breaks because they wanted to do stupid shit like give their Kitsune waifu/PC 999,999,999,999,999,999 tails.
3) Coders would waste hours delving through a posted save file looking for a simple, legit bug when all along the reporter did some stupid shit like give their Kitsune waifu/PC 999,999,999,999,999,999 tails.

And before you come back with some silly reply like, "Yeah, but all the bug reporter has to do is say their game has been edited in their report", I dare you to rethink that argument. I dare you to give John Q. Public the common sense of a moth.

Oh, and here's the most convincing argument against getting rid of the warning EVAR:

The PTB have already said "never".

EDIT: Here's something else. If there was an option to turn off the pop-up warning, the vast majority of people would miss it because THEY FAIL TO READ SHIT IN A TEXT GAME.

Ironic, ain't it?

Last edited:

kinkshamer

Feb 8, 2016
Yeah, and in either case the devs would rather you DIDN'T edit your game beyond the few cheats THEY design and implement.
Sadly sometimes it's the best course of action. Let's say you enter a scene that you weren't expecting, such as when you're approached by Hirrud in the Frosthound. You already pressed 2, because you wanted to sleep. Now you've declined the quest and perma-failed it. Last (auto) save is a while back. Easiest course of action is to just flip/remove the flag from your savefile and accept it.

If he asked whether you were sure that you didn't want to help him OR he just stuck around at the bar until you accepted the quest then this wouldn't be an issue.

This is just an example I can think of from the top of my head. CoC2 isn't perfectly designed (no game is) so sometimes you'll want to undo accidental damage to a savefile.

Reactions: PixelKitsune

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
Sadly sometimes it's the best course of action. Let's say you enter a scene that you weren't expecting, such as when you're approached by Hirrud in the Frosthound. You already pressed 2, because you wanted to sleep. Now you've declined the quest and perma-failed it. Last (auto) save is a while back. Easiest course of action is to just flip/remove the flag from your savefile and accept it.

If he asked whether you were sure that you didn't want to help him OR he just stuck around at the bar until you accepted the quest then this wouldn't be an issue.

This is just an example I can think of from the top of my head. CoC2 isn't perfectly designed (no game is) so sometimes you'll want to undo accidental damage to a savefile.
Wait, now you're changing your argument to reasons it's okay to edit your save file?

My job is done. Paradox 01 out.

kinkshamer

Feb 8, 2016
Autosaves happen every 5 minutes of real time.
Correct, but there's a surprising amount of progression and luck you can have within 5 minutes that would then be lost. But I have said everything I want to say and will accept things as they are

runingman69

Nov 24, 2018
canuck land.
oopsie woopsie

you did a fucko wucko
oopsie_woopise.png

Personally I see nothing wrong with the message.