Cait Content Expanded [Updated 3/8/19]

Kimiko Delsia

Mar 4, 2019
Current Status:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/10GbPHpP0BBPO60mSgP5Md-LAOWs-xiLZ9f0-QJGyook/edit?usp=sharing

Current word count: 3,972

Idea: Right now this is a proof of concept for an idea I had. Being a gal who loves her emersion, I always found it a bit jarring that npcs were typically always doing the same thing (with some variations!) . I know it's not feasible for main writers to spend time developing flavor text for meaningless chatter (Such as a greeting in the inn), which is where I would like to put my contribution on the table.

My Goal: To give Cait extended content and character development, working within Savin's lines of judgment. Currently, I plan to give her five additional paths on everything she has to offer in the Frost Tavern Inn.

About Me: I am an avid fanfiction writer with a few books published with the permission of FUNimation. I have over a hundred stories under my belt, almost two million words logged into my writings, and a desire to honestly make friends with like-minded people. I love making people happy, and I would really enjoy hearing feedback from everyone and potentially make their dreams come to life in this wonderful game I've stumbled across. I hope I show a little potential in this first example and get the blessings from the creators to continue to add my own support to this amazing story.

[UPDATE]: I combined everything to one document with a table of contents. It includes my percentage completion rate for each section, and hopefully makes things easier to handle :) Feel free to comment with suggestions!

Last edited:

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
While I applaud the effort, I should point out that the game is still very early in production and there will likely be more characters added by a variety of different authors. Will you update for them as well?

Also, have you spoken to the original authors about writing their characters? A small thing, but it goes a long way

Reactions: Kimiko Delsia

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
A good effort; you have a better command of English than the average submission we have around these parts. Your enthusiasm is appreciated.

However, you should have paid more attention to the writer's guide, or while you were playing the game. It's very obvious because the entirety of CoC2 is written in second-person present tense, and you are using past tense. Furthermore, you probably need to spend a little more time understanding what the parser is for, what bits of what characters are parserable, and the notations used.

Finally, understand that fluff like this is bound to be very low-priority; systems are to come in first, followed by major content.

Kimiko Delsia

Mar 4, 2019
Evil: I still need to contact the authors. I'm certainly not going to do anything against their will ^^ and as long as I can stay true to their character, I would like to add more for each one that comes along. I have to get to know them first as to not insult their design with out of character writing.

Observer: I did know the second person present style, but it seems my struggle back and forth trying to figure out things made me slip into my usual writing style. Seems like I'll have to try harder to keep it correct, but nothing that can't be handled on my part.

As for the parser, I'm learning as I go. I did read about it, but a one time read over isn't enough to have it down so I thought actual use would guide me as I tab back and forth to find things to use. No one starts out great, after all.

I understand the fluffy filler content like this is low priority, and that's why I chose it to start with. I think the main authors who have skill and experience are better suited for progression, while others would be better to expand on what was laid on a solid foundation. Kind of like how key frames in animation are the backbone to the concept while the in betweens make it look smoother.

I fully understand I'm not "good" with this yet, but I still would like to learn and grow with everyone.

BubbleLord

Scientist
Creator
Jun 24, 2016
If you're really serious about this then I'd recommend joining the public Discord as it facilitates a much faster way to reach various writers. All your writing format aside, there's going to be people who might be actively working on a character that may not agree with the usage. Being new to the scene definitely warrants speaking with the writers to assure authenticity. Writing for CoC2 has a rather high bar and the goals so far has been driving most of those actively writing it to actively communicate.

A big thing to know is that all the writers are expanding but we're far from "ditching" content too -- a good example is how Sugo was written but I doubled back for an expack with more planned to follow. Handing our content off isn't normally planned as much as we're writing it long-term with breaks/pieces of it coming out. A good example is how Kiyoko had tons of content basically done but it didn't all drop at once. We just can't spend time pushing the writing for one thing or we end up with gigantic content gaps/variations that make the game seem heavily uneven. As far as I know, we've mostly avoided this and a lot of the current content in-game is pretty similar in amount as a result.

Getting into small stuff like this is great and what people should ideally start with. Just make sure you do it within a healthy environment and while communicating with the writers. That's a mistake a lot of aspiring writers on these forums make that ends up cutting their submissions/ideas down even if they've done tons of it.

Reactions: Kimiko Delsia

Kimiko Delsia

Mar 4, 2019
Thanks a lot BubbleLord! That's solid advice for sure. I'll get on the discord as soon as I can. I've managed to contact Savin for permission with Cait. I think I'll start there and do as much as I can. Get some experience and show what I'm capable of. That was if I don't meet anyone's standards they can easily tell me no. I think working closely with everyone would be very important as well. I really appreciate the nudge in the right direction!

Stemwinder

Jun 15, 2018
The characters introduced so far are rather basic so unless you swing wildly in another direction you're not likely to veer off course for small bits of dialogue like this. The major thing, as mentioned, would just be to contact everyone. While the game's certainly not ready for the polish stages little things like this tend to be what falls through the cracks; everyone wants to run off to write their own waifu-or-whatever rather than helping to polish up the old ones.