Build Help

곰 ⋮⋮ ɮɨɢ ʍǟռ ™°

Feb 23, 2023
So after my hate-love relationship with COC2 decided to end today, I am wondering what are some good builds for a Black Mage. But ngl, I was thinking of some sort of a battle mage type of get up because of how I am trying to set up my character. I would prefer not to having to change classes, but if that's what's needed to make it better in general, then idm doing that too.

Baggrin

May 16, 2019
Unfortunately, I'm already sleepy and I can't answer you in detail... but I've already answered this before:

Wooden Rod (I think you start with it in your inventory if you are a caster) + Mage Wand as a weapon, Grease + Fireball until you get access to the Arc Cannon, as a good encounter power (which suits you as a caster) the easiest way to get Summon Wolf Spirit (find a set of clothes in the forest, it is not necessary to wear, by the way, then meet the witch in the evening, at one of the repeated meetings you will have the opportunity to ask her a question about services). As companions, San Dancer Kate and Brint in Arena Armor can be decent options.

Ranirain

Mar 23, 2021
What's your interpretation of battle mage? by battle mage i imagine a mage wearing heavy armour. If you are wearing armor, you will want to do some tanking. Mirror Mage is a perfect build for tanking mage.

You can go with Agility/Toughness/Willpower and drink presence juice for presence, or Agility/Toughness/Presence and get willpower boon from lots of sources that can buff the whole party (Velun blessing, Kiyoko's bento come to mind).

Equipment wise, anything that boosts defense and increases leadership or willpower. My list would be Helm of Heroes, Conqueror's Breastplate, Winged Sabatons, any gloves since i don't see anything real good for a tank mage, Magatama, Mare's Ring, Guldring, Cloak of the Deeps, Senninbari/Evergreen's Bountiful Bag. Weapon wise, I'd go Control Rod and Shield Orb, since that combo boosts your spellpower a lot, while shield ord is counted as a shield, so you can negate crit dmg.

For power, i'd go Mirror Stance/Shield Stance, any spells you like for recharge powers, any summon for encounter, unbreakable. My champ has mirror mage theme, so i went with mirror stance/shatter/blessing/Summon moth waifu/unbreakable.

In term of class, Black mage can definitely works for tanking, but you'll have to be contend with negative initiative, which is not too important since you are a damage sponge anyway, and you can further boost your summon spell with lv 7 summoner perk.

For followers, definitely bring a healer, either cait or ryn. And bring a dps, cait hex blade, physical or pyro brint/briene, base kiyoko, but ideally bring a willpower based dps if you are planning on using wide party willpower buff.

Reactions: Sacremas

A1teros

Dec 23, 2021
I run a Black Mage build that uses Power Wave, which is a Weapon Spell so I guess that'd qualify as a battlemage. Thunderbrand, Flametongue, and Reaping Blade would also all probably work but some of those skills are pretty late game. Power Wave at least you can Mirror Stance off of the Frostwood Kitsune Spellblade which isn't TOO far into the game and it remains good the whole game so far. It's a weapon spell though, which means you need Strength and Willpower if you want good damage.

After that you can decide how you're gonna split the other 2 stats you can max, I typically go for agility and then buff presence whenever I need it since toughness isn't as important if you're the DPS. Galon's Griefmaker is great for this build, plenty of damage and some armor penetration even after it was nerfed. Ashelander is also good, although you lose some raw weapon damage you can equip an offhand catalyst to buff the damage of Power Wave and have really diverse damage since you would do Crushing, Fire, and Storm damage with every Power Wave. It's also a ranged attack so no need to worry about flying enemies.

Last edited:

Bleh223

Dec 9, 2022
I run a Black Mage build that uses Power Wave, which is a Weapon Spell so I guess that'd qualify as a battlemage. Thunderbrand, Flametongue, and Reaping Blade would also all probably work but some of those skills are pretty late game. Power Wave at least you can Mirror Stance off of the Frostwood Kitsune Spellblade which isn't TOO far into the game and it remains good the whole game so far. It's a weapon spell though, which means you need Strength and Willpower if you want good damage.

After that you can decide how you're gonna split the other 2 stats you can max, I typically go for agility and then buff presence whenever I need it since toughness isn't as important if you're the DPS. Galon's Griefmaker is great for this build, plenty of damage and some armor penetration even after it was nerfed. Ashelander is also good, although you lose some raw weapon damage you can equip an offhand catalyst to buff the damage of Power Wave and have really diverse damage since you would do Crushing, Fire, and Storm damage with every Power Wave. It's also a ranged attack so no need to worry about flying enemies.
Out of curiosity, what companions do you use?

곰 ⋮⋮ ɮɨɢ ʍǟռ ™°

Feb 23, 2023
What's your interpretation of battle mage? by battle mage i imagine a mage wearing heavy armour. If you are wearing armor, you will want to do some tanking. Mirror Mage is a perfect build for tanking mage.

For me I get the idea of a battle mage from a mage that can use magic & use melee weapons (or in this case moves or how you wanna call the abilities). But a mage that can tank attacks is another way to think about it since if you just generalize what i just said, yeah it kinda boils down to that lol

Boshe

Apr 4, 2022
if you just want melee weapons, build Willpower + Cunning + Agility then drink Garth's Strength brew and take stuff like Charge Weapon and Power Wave

Ranirain

Mar 23, 2021
For me I get the idea of a battle mage from a mage that can use magic & use melee weapons (or in this case moves or how you wanna call the abilities). But a mage that can tank attacks is another way to think about it since if you just generalize what i just said, yeah it kinda boils down to that lol
If you are interested, you could try a fire hammer spellblade/tankmage. I has this ideal for a while but never actually go for it since it's not too optimal for either tanking or dmg, it's just has a very cool fire theme.

Class: warrior or thief depending on you are doing dodging tank or tank tank

Stat build will be: strength, toughness, agility and willpower from boons.

Power (warrior with resistant perk): flamebrand/mirror stance, searing arc, shielding smite, power within, unbreakable
Power (thief with eyes for weakness perk): duelist stance, grease, searing arc, power within, unbreakable/assassinate

Equipment: basically the same as i said before for warrior, but u gonna use the new hammer from Ryn quest and the dragonscale armor and maxinize flame resistance for power within. For thief, stack up as much evasion as possible and dont use heavy armor, but you can use that hammer, use grease to debuff enemies so they take additional fire dmg, also take fire resistance whenever posible. If you use grease strategy, might as well bring pyro Briene or base Kiyoko for additional fire dmg.

If you are interested in a spellblade dps rather than tanking, the current one im having is really strong and can handle dark dificulty. My build has a dark/light theme and im basically just cosplaying Testament from Guilty Gear.

Race: Wyld Elf or Lupine for min max, doesn't really matter tho

Stat: Strength, Agility, Wilpower, either Presense or Cunning as boon

Class: black mage => thief (eyes for weakness perk)

Power: charge weapon, holy shock, reaping blade, deadly shadow, assassinate

Gears: Titanic Hat, Tiran Vestment, Giant Gloves, Winged Sabatons, Amulet of union/any other necklace, 2x lucky strike, champion's belt/kiyoko belt thing. War Scythe as weapon.

Companions: Cait/Ryn healer, and Briene/Brint Arena for tanking and debuffing

The idea is typically Brient will go first, use crowed control to apply bleed on everyone, then champe will deadly shadow and eliminate every trash mobs. Thanks to eyes for weakness, the debuff from deadly shadow last very long so you have all the time to kill any alive mobs with holy shock and reaping blade. For bosses and single tough enemy, stack stagger by using deadly shadow, reaping blade and brint's shield bash and net throw power, this can stack up to a ridiculous amount of turn, once i saw it stack up to 12 turns of stagger. Even bosses with multiple actions per turn still get trashed by my champ before the stagger run out. Not to mention you can still apply bleeding debuff easily with Briene Arena, so you basically never run out of debuff foe twist the knife unless the enemy is immune to stagger or bleed. And if that's the case you can use base cait to apply debuff like burn and blind, even tho it's not too reliable.

A1teros

Dec 23, 2021
Out of curiosity, what companions do you use?
I typically bring Cait and whoever is story relevant, Brienne for Khor'minos and Etheryn for Winter City. Those definitely aren't the optimal companions though, I just l like choosing characters that have lines during quests and that typically works. Queenly Raiments Ryn is probably an actually good choice though, I can't quite decide who the other best member would be though.

UndyingRevenant

Feb 23, 2021
i can share my experience and build, might not be precisely what you ordered and a lot of text but i hope it helps. even if my build is more support mage tank maybe the equip info helps. arch99 posted a "presence stacking" tank build i liked a lot, but some things didn't match my preferences so i tweaked it some. what i did is, i start orc warrior barbarian for 3 toughness. main reason because hp is the universal survival stat, additionally works to boost healing since its %hp, second is because it's the passive scaling and the only actual scaling in the build besides presence and leadership. finally because giga chad hp number even if its only by 15.

stats are str toughness presence. toughness and presence are the only ones you directly use in this build which can kinda feel bad and off but it does work, the third stat you just want anything besides willpower (because if you marry kiyoko and get bentos, you have max willpower on demand along with well fed, one of the easiest and reliable boosts. sucks for a while if you absolutely must use spells but if you think of it as dual classing or evolving as you go it'd be less of a pain). toughness as explained before, presence because it's additional hp, and also stacks leadership. i don't think it's a good idea to sacrifice purely for leadership though, but it's a very good secondary stat for your party and summon. i like strength for armor, armor's most commonly useful against attacks, mixed damage etc. helps rare auto attacks as well. if you're in an area where you absolutely need another defensive stat i'd keep the same stats but just get a drink, or just change equipment.

equipment honestly doesn't have a perfect loadout, however at the current state of the game, there is one thing i must recommend. many people recommend guldring, i dont. the leadership is good, however you probably won't use the passive really, and the spellpower is a low priority stat for wall tanking. however, the dawnsword has 2 particular unique features you may look over, first it's one handed so you can use a shield. but secondly, its the only current weapon that has defensive bonuses (besides evade). with heavier armor reducing evasion a great deal already, and shielded stance defense buffs, the dawnsword is the best primary. guldrings leadership bonus is not worth it, and can be replaced by your choice of utility ring. leadership loss does hurt but you don't need to sacrifice what you need for a nice bonus basically. besides that for gear progression, you prioritize defenses, bigger the total number of them the better (better to have gear thats 20 armor, 20 ward, 20 focus than only 30 ward), and you want to try, if possible, to make armor, ward and focus as close as possible. there will naturally be a divide but do your best as a secondary goal. evade will most likely be reduced as you go so it just has to be forsaken. several options are preference, like the senninbari vs bountiful bag. do you/will you reach 0hp or do you benefit more from healing over a battle etc.

full abilities can be acquired early compared to most builds, your goal is shielded stance, bless, vanguard, and your summon. ult is preference, inspiration can be a lifesaver against team wipes, but so can unbreakable. you want these abilities because your rotation is to start with bless (for your party's first barrage or nuke), vanguard on yourself for threat and def boost, your summon, if nothing is up defend to boost defenses, and then loop as needed. your summon choice actually is important, and level restrictions don't seem to matter, the primary thing is to summon them in a low level encounter and read their stats and abilities. the only ones with minimal use are the flame spirit and wolf, or basically, ones with few abilities and no passives. to avoid confusion its easiest to think of the choices as dps, tanks or supports, and use them to compliment your team. in this build i primarily recommend avoiding the flame knight, as it's a tank. flame dancer is great though, the moth seems pretty ridiculous as well, along with the other quest rewards. they're not all equal but most of them have party worthy special features. make sure in the underwater cave of challenge you do a aggressive drum beat to get the horn to summon cassidy. might have to take agni for the dialogue also not sure.

party is highly flexible, but i recommend avoiding someone that has "generates threat", bless themselves, or is solely support. meaning i recommend damage kits with max one secondary heal and one party member with a base heal. fun example comp is outrider etheryn and base cait. etheryn gets several passive upgrades, has aoe damage, a group heal (more useful since you have summons), status effects, dmg boost on enemies with status effects, a useful ult, and is very story relevant. her summon steps on your toes but has its uses if you cant use a early turn to summon and have to rely on defense. cait is reliable healing with status effects and light damage and when she crits she has a mini group heal, she also has a res in case etheryn or yourself goes down. many options especially as kits are added you just don't want tanks since you're dedicated and don't want a dedicated healer really since that would mean 2 party members not attacking. if you really want to though make sure your summon is solely offense oriented.

overall, tanks are probably the best options for summoners because their other encounter abilities are the least needed or role oriented, conq plate, helm of heroes and presence giving natural leadership, and i don't feel offensive abilities for them are that great because you won't have enough slots to both buff defense and capitalize on attacks. however blessing, summons and your leadership makes up for that gap. hope this helps you or someone

oh and also tough skin is og af

Last edited:

Gutts

Sep 19, 2016
I can’t speak for armour and weapons because I don’t play Black Mage much. But for powers I usually use psychic blast, grease, fireball, summon flame knight and banishment. It’s sort of a pyromancer esc power set, the grease and fireball combo works incredibly well. And flame knight is great for taking agro