Brainstorming for dummies

argenten

Sep 9, 2015
Okay, probably going to draw a lot of flack/hate for this but I'm getting the impression this will be needed...This thread is for people to brainstorm in game equivalents of magic in the scifi world. Basically, what can we do with futuristic science that would need magic in fantasy? 

Potential topics include: Pregnancy/pregnancy transference to bio wombs like in Dune for example. Another example could be abilities like dragon fire. 

All ideas welcome, spectacularly bad ones will be ribbed though.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Well I not gonna flame this thread down. ^^

So of magic then ofc heal spell (I kow we can have potentialy Goo Armor heal us a lil bit) so we could in comba or maybe even between fights use it to get some healing. Nothing much using energy but also not healing collossal amounts of HP. Since regeneration may not be a thing at all or only near endgame :/

Nymphonomicon

Apr 4, 2016
Well I not gonna flame this thread down. ^^

So of magic then ofc heal spell (I kow we can have potentialy Goo Armor heal us a lil bit) so we could in comba or maybe even between fights use it to get some healing. Nothing much using energy but also not healing collossal amounts of HP. Since regeneration may not be a thing at all or only near endgame :/

I want to say nanomachines, son- but I don't think that would be as effective as a "spell".

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
I want to say nanomachines, son- but I don't think that would be as effective as a "spell".

Yes it not gonna fit much plus Goo Armor could be viewed as made of nanites. I suppose when Psionic class will be a thing putting heal spell under psionic power will e most fitting. I mean there is one of types of -nesis that can control flesh so making body increase natural healing rate to such extend it's noticable ingame with just a moment of time (since resting can restore hp but that makes PC spend 4 hours not something done in shorter time frame).

Zavos

May 7, 2016
We have two main choices for "magic"

Nanotechnology - obvious reasons.  

Psionics - A bit of a stretch, but psi is pretty much the magic of space opras

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Well even ultra-highend tech can be considered "magic". Long ago in one book I found interesting quote at the begining. "Highly advanced technology can be mistaken for been magic. And reverse situation is true too."

So using some tech that would be considered hundreds of years ahead of current part of TiTSverse we explore can be treated as "magic".

MESeele

Aug 26, 2015
Well even ultra-highend tech can be considered "magic". Long ago in one book I found interesting quote at the begining. "Highly advanced technology can be mistaken for been magic. And reverse situation is true too."

So using some tech that would be considered hundreds of years ahead of current part of TiTSverse we explore can be treated as "magic".

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Yup. There are a bunch of variations of it.

Fantasy setting: "A wizard did it"
Scifi setting: "Science did it"

Simple as that. TiTS is soft scifi. As Ormael said, jargon and reasons for why and how are optional- no more than flavour text. Anything can be explained away with a wave of the hand, a quick flourish and a "Behold, science!" Or a caustic remark of "you won't understand it anyway".

Another example could be abilities like dragon fire. 

There are already liquid changers in-game. Your saliva now has the properties of oil. Obtain source of fire/electricity. Remember to blow, not suck. Why not make the oil double as an aphrodisiac too. Fire + Lust inducing fumes. 10% chance of human error resulting in inhaled fire, followed by panic and rolling.

Last edited by a moderator:

argenten

Sep 9, 2015
Just give us secret government top of the line power armour or mecha. Or make us one with the Gotian Hive mind. 

Technically Savin has the power armor locked...but idk how viable the doc on his old index is anymore so I don't want to speak for him.