-

Stupid_Goo

Apr 10, 2021
Man, I am so sick of the "wizards can't wear armor" trope. I'd be okay with it if it only popped up in a couple settings/universes because "magic no likey metal" or whatthefuckever, but it's become some kind of fantasy industry rule at this point.
Exactly this.
When a wizard wants to wear iron bracelets or some such similar armour but also wants to cast lightning magick, expect to get hit by your own spell because the metal - leather or something that has magick in it would stop from hitting yourself.
Never quite seen that "Wearing armour? Can't speak magick." thing yet, because unless it had some silencing thing to it, there was really no reason to pull sum'n like this.
Unless... whatever you were wearing was anti-magick.

Reactions: Firangi

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
When a wizard wants to wear iron bracelets or some such similar armour but also wants to cast lightning magick, expect to get hit by your own spell because the metal -
Iron negating magic is another trope but one I'm cool with. It's specific. No one's making pure iron suits of armor as a matter of course.

Lone Wolf115

Man, I am so sick of the "wizards can't wear armor" trope. I'd be okay with it if it only popped up in a couple settings/universes because "magic no likey metal" or whatthefuckever, but it's become some kind of fantasy industry rule at this point.

I'm perfectly fine with archetypes, but I've never understood/liked this "armor magically stops you from speaking magical words" schtick.
Exactly just add some fucking focus crystals or some other kind of catalyst to the armor that the magic can move through.
Then zippity zappity do you're dead motherfucker.

Last edited:

Ireyon

May 14, 2018

I'm perfectly fine with archetypes, but I've never understood/liked this "armor magically stops you from speaking magical words" schtick.
Armor is heavy and you actually need to train to be able to fight in it (IRL I mean). Wizards supposedly spend their time studying, meaning they're physically much weaker and chances are the average wizard wouldn't even be able to remain upright in plate armor.

The reasons just aren't explored much because that would involve showing us the boring parts of magic.... sitting in a library day in and day out while studying until you go cross-eyed. Warriors usually get a training montage since physical activity carries a modicum of excitement even if it's just training.

Firangi

Jun 23, 2021
Armor is heavy and you actually need to train to be able to fight in it (IRL I mean). Wizards supposedly spend their time studying, meaning they're physically much weaker and chances are the average wizard wouldn't even be able to remain upright in plate armor.

The reasons just aren't explored much because that would involve showing us the boring parts of magic.... sitting in a library day in and day out while studying until you go cross-eyed. Warriors usually get a training montage since physical activity carries a modicum of excitement even if it's just training.
Huh, that makes a surprising amount of sense. It also justifies the initiative malus from heavy armor and the veteran perk.

EDIT: Maaaaaybe not the 'falling over due to lack of strength bit though. The armor wouldn't be that heavy.

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
From TVTropes' "Squishy Wizard" article:
The Trope Maker gaming-wise has to be Dungeons & Dragons. The Wizard Character Class always has the smallest Hit Die (often a 1d4), and gets one of the smallest pools of Hit Points among classes. They also start with no armor, and have the worst attack bonus available. A Wizard wearing armor they aren't proficient with prevents them from casting spells, (and in the earlier editions, wizards could wear no armor at all). This cuts down on mage survivability at lower levels, especially since the AC system that D&D uses determines how hard you are to hit rather than damage. By the same token, Linear Warriors, Quadratic Wizards is in full effect in most editions of D&D, as the Wizard's low survivability at early levels is made up for by being a walking death machine at later levels because of how absurdly strong that spells get.
  • How squishy was the early edition wizard?
    • Maximum HP at first level was not in the rulebooks and was a house rule. Rules as written, the characters' hit points were rolled on a four-sided dice, resulting in an average of 2.5 hit points. The character's Constitution and Dexterity were rolled on three six-sided dice, and had to be 15 or more to improve armor class (AC) or hit points. This meant that in appx 81% of cases, the character had no bonus to hit points or AC.
    • This meant the character was AC 10 (the worst allowed a player character), HP 1-4. This also meant a goblin attacking them has a better than 50% chance to hit. The goblin rolls a six-sided die for damage. This means the goblin has somewhere between a 50% and 100% chance to deal damage equal to the character's entire hit point total.
    • The common rules of Death Saves or death at a certain amount of negative damage did not exist; Critical Existence Failure was the default rule! Zero hit points was dead. So the very first attack from one of the weakest monsters in the game had about a 40% chance to instantly kill a first level wizard who was rolled up rules as written.
    • The assumes the character did not roll so poorly for Constitution that their hit dice wasn't a d4-X, minimum 1. Additionally, it assumes AC cannot be worse than 10.
  • The Rules Cyclopedia, the definitive resource for Basic D&D, tells you straight out on page 19 where the Magic-User class is introduced about how a mage should not adventure alone and that his survivability is rather low without others to protect him. It also has Elf as a class that can use all armor but can only use up to fifth-level magic at their highest level (10th) unlike the mage who can get up to level 36 with up to ninth-level magic.

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA

I get all that and I'm fine with reducing the number of starting spells or spells learned per level if you'd rather your wizard PC starts with/learns armor proficiencies at level-up, but historically, people have openly scoffed at and ridiculed the idea of a wizard wearing anything sturdier than a bathrobe made of cheesecloth. I'm like, "Why??"

Lone Wolf115

I'm like, "Why??"
Because game logic and other lore type bullshit that needs big changes.

My other post seems like a way around that plus maybe not like full armor maybe just a breastplate and some bracers and greaves with some kind of catalyst that the magic can focus through I know I basically already said it but just the basic idea of what I said.

Stupid_Goo

Apr 10, 2021
A wizard must only wear the biggest, swimmingly-est and most exquisitely magnificently opulent robe in order to truly be called a "wizard."

I'd rather be a spellblade than walk around swimming in a giant curtain they call robes, honestly - and that's saying something when I like to wear big baggy clothes.

Anyone ever come up with any ideas for idk, magickal equipment? Not quite unique but more say, a bangle or anklet that can put away or reappear your clothing on a whim - even a ring, but rings are more for accessories than anything else.

Lone Wolf115

A wizard must only wear the biggest, swimmingly-est and most exquisitely magnificently opulent robe in order to truly be called a "wizard."

I'd rather be a spellblade than walk around swimming in a giant curtain they call robes, honestly - and that's saying something when I like to wear big baggy clothes.

Anyone ever come up with any ideas for idk, magickal equipment? Not quite unique but more say, a bangle or anklet that can put away or reappear your clothing on a whim - even a ring, but rings are more for accessories than anything else.
Yeah but this little off topic rant is about not being chopped up into little pieces.

Not saying that your quote is a rant at all just to be clear.

Btw your profile pic is really cute don't know if you saw me say it earlier.

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA

I kinda get the fact that magic-users generally have some sort of defensive shield spell they learn early in their careers, but that doesn't take into account that the spell usually takes some thought (read: "1 or 2 actions") to erect (ha...ha).

I'm coming at this from more of a practical approach. "Logically", there's no reason why a wizard/sorcerer couldn't wear armor. Even if the mage's magic type required fine manipulation of one's fingers/hands/arms for mystical gestures, they could still get away with wearing anything that anyone else with the prerequisite training would have access to. Leave the arms free, but tank-up anything else.

Of course, this does NOT include any type of druidic magic that requires some sort of connection to nature. THAT makes sense. "You wanna draw on trees for your power? Fine. Then fuck your chainmail."

Shrike675

Apr 8, 2021
All spellcasters must also be able to do a triple backflip from a standing position by the time we finally take on Kas.
That just makes me think if the old GBA FE crit animations. Prefer those to the modern ones except maybe Radiant Dawn's.

As for equipment wants, maybe some more male focused undergarments. Makes me chuckle every time my male PC takes off his pink seawave and thong to do the sex.

Lone Wolf115

I kinda get the fact that magic-users generally have some sort of defensive shield spell they learn early in their careers, but that doesn't take into account that the spell usually takes some thought (read: "1 or 2 actions") to erect (ha...ha).

I'm coming at this from more of a practical approach. "Logically", there's no reason why a wizard/sorcerer couldn't wear armor. Even if the mage's magic type required fine manipulation of one's fingers/hands/arms for mystical gestures, they could still get away with wearing anything that anyone else with the prerequisite training would have access to. Leave the arms free, but tank-up anything else.
I get exactly what you're saying that mages wear small amounts not full clad in armor but small coverage.

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
I mean, there are numerous forms of magic. Ritual, spoken, gesticulation...why would a mage in plate armor be unable to draw chalk outlines necessary for a protection circle? Or speak words of power for a summoning/banishing? Or wiggle their fingers to shoot firebolts?

CitrusWolf

May 19, 2020
I want some actually warm clothes for the setting of Savarra or something cute and frilly, also headgear that is actually pretty like the ever blossom hood except it isn't locked behind a marriage like if I'm ever getting my champ commissioned I'd like to have them wear pretty things and not an awful hat/helm

Reactions: Lone Wolf115

LuciusCypher

Apr 29, 2021
A new axe would be nice. Something that hits harder and heavier than the poleaxe at the cost of less evasion.

A sort of "light shield" would be nice too. Basically a shield that also works for dual-wielding, but at the cost of not being as protective as other types of shields. Enables both the defensive shield skills and the offensive dual wielding skills.

Finally maybe some cetsus or other gauntlet based armor that can grant your character unarmed fighting if you wanna be more of a brawler type than a conventional warrior.

Somebody Else

Nov 12, 2018
Nah, you folks have it backwards on the armor thing. Wizards stuck with the flowing robes until improbably the universe bent and those somehow became a valid defensive option. If warriors had done the same thing, they too could now be adventuring in their bath robes rather than 40 pounds of plate mail.

Majincotton

Oct 29, 2019
I want a big sword. Like, Guts, Dark Knight, Ichigo Kurosaki type sword. The kind of sword that would make kentaro miura proud

Reactions: Lone Wolf115

Lone Wolf115

I want a big sword. Like, Guts, Dark Knight, Ichigo Kurosaki type sword. The kind of sword that would make kentaro miura proud
Like a Dadric sword type look from Skyrim. Because I don't know what you're referencing and that's the most evil and brutal sword I know.

Lone Wolf115

I guess that, being the forum this one is, I can answer with this. (It's a parody of the actual sword description, one that's given several times, but, seeing the vignette, it's a reference to the first time it is uttered.)
Thanks considering where I live I don't have much way of internet access.

Wint3rRyd3r

Feb 14, 2021
Guts may be edgy, but he has a lot of good reasons to be. Then again, in Berserk, almost everyone has good reasons to be edgy. Except Zod. He is the traumatic event.

PalletTown

Sep 10, 2015
Mainly what I don't want is for a piece of equipment to be completely better than another piece of equipment. All the starting items that you can get have at least one stat that they do better than late game uniques.

Reactions: Kesil