Cait's new picture does not look good, rather it looks weird (edited)

KingShadowCB

Oct 1, 2021
The overall design is fine, the technical aspect of the art is a massive improvement.
I think my primary issue is the lower eyelashes as they frame the face in an awkward way.

I don't know if it's just me, but it feels like the cat-like features were an afterthought, like if you replace the ears and remove the tail you get a normal human. when compared to the other cat-folk it feels less.
Finally I feel like darker more vibrant hair colors could work better, and be more in line with the promotional art on the blog and discord Icon.

I'm going to leave this here:
I'm not an expert at art theory, but it just doesn't look right.
like, I look at the "old" portrait (the one by DCL), and I can't imagine anything else in it's stead, like THAT'S CAIT, this new portrait is not Cait. I've spent almost 410 hours with DCL's Cait that I don't see blonde cait working, ever.
I don't use dancer cait because the icon looks weird
I even undid her leothran tf because the art for it looks weird (and it shrank the booba)
first of all the artstyle doesn't sync up with any of the other default companion art in terms of quality
the blonde into pink does not look good
the pose is so neutral that it tells you nothing about her character
the angle of the face is really awkward
the lower eyelashes add to the weirdness (get rid of those)
her stage 1 hair is AWFUL (shoulder length is much better)
skirt is cute, but prefer the old one
was it flipped horizontally during creation? it feels like it wasn't
the new books look nice
a slightly darker pink than what's on there now, for all of her hair might look much better

That's pretty much all I have to say about her new portrait design. Cait is one of my favorite companions, and the art for any character has a great effect on my enjoyment of them especially since CoC2 is an interactive book. I'm honestly considering not using her at all; I'm really torn on this. Cait is one of the best companions next to Ryn and Kiyoko, and this makes me not want to interact with her.
Either let us swap her icon back like with Arona. or make adjustments and try again.
Thanks for reading and considering any of my points

Last edited:

SomeNobody

Dec 18, 2020
I've not played the game since the update but the one thats posted alongside the news article doesn't look great.
Is it really not possible to swap art for Cait now? Its not like they completly removed the old character arts as an option before did they.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Yeah, if you don't like the new one, just keep using DCL's. It's still in game and accessible, same as Cheshire's original.

Just click her portrait on the side of the game and then hit whichever artist's version you wanna use. Just tested that it was still in-game on current patch:

1715947151767.png

TheIrishOtaku

Nov 14, 2021
Ireland, dating OmegaUmbra
I'm not an expert at art theory, but it just doesn't look right.
like, I look at the "old" portrait (the one by DCL), and I can't imagine anything else in it's stead, like THAT'S CAIT, this new portrait is not Cait. I've spent almost 410 hours with DCL's Cait that I don't see blonde cait working, ever.
I don't use dancer cait because the icon looks weird
I even undid her leothran tf because the art for it looks weird (and it shrank the booba)
first of all the artstyle doesn't sync up with any of the other default companion art in terms of quality
the blonde into pink does not look good
the pose is so neutral that it tells you nothing about her character
the angle of the face is really awkward
the lower eyelashes add to the weirdness (get rid of those)
her stage 1 hair is AWFUL (shoulder length is much better)
skirt is cute, but prefer the old one
was it flipped horizontally during creation? it feels like it wasn't
the new books look nice
a slightly darker pink than what's on there now, for all of her hair might look much better

That's pretty much all I have to say about her new portrait design. Cait is one of my favorite companions, and the art for any character has a great effect on my enjoyment of them especially since CoC2 is an interactive book. I'm honestly considering not using her at all; I'm really torn on this. Cait is one of the best companions next to Ryn and Kiyoko, and this makes me not want to interact with her.
Either let us swap her icon back like with Arona. or make adjustments and try again.
Thanks for reading and considering any of my points
You're free not to like the bust, it is subjective after all, but this strikes me as you just preferring the original because its what you're used to, rather than because of any problems with the actual design. Like objectively its very well drawn even if you prefer the older ones and your critiques seem like you looking for issues rather than these being actual problems with it. No shade to the other busts, but I think this is the best Cait design by far and actually makes her a lot hotter in my eyes now. The other designs were always a bit too cartoony for my liking. I think you're being a bit unfair to be honest and I don't know what you expect to accomplish with this, especially when as other's have pointed out its optional anyway.

Alliebutt

Mar 5, 2021
I mean, the Steam advertisement on the blog site has always pretty much looked the way the new art does with only very few and very small differences between the two. So as TheIrishOtaku already said, this just seems like an unnecessary post complaining about the new art not matching and living up to your preferences. It's especially unnecessary considering that as others have already stated and pointed out to you, you can just change it and go back to using the older art anyways. No one is forcing you to use the new art, even though it was obvious Cait was meant to look this way, and has been meant to do so for a while now.

image_2024-05-17_154155009.png

Baggrin

May 16, 2019
Wait, what?

0.7.9 Cait.png

Hmm, I don't like her new portrait either. And, alas, this is really not good, especially considering the fact that I no longer see the possibility of selecting old portraits.

P.S. Yes, I am well aware that the old images of Cait did not match her description, but after five years I have really gotten used to the old style of her images and for me this is a big loss.

Loveless

May 29, 2022
Wait, what?

Hmm, I don't like her new portrait either. And, alas, this is really not good, especially considering the fact that I no longer see the possibility of selecting old portraits.

P.S. Yes, I am well aware that the old images of Cait did not match her description, but after five years I have really gotten used to the old style of her images and for me this is a big loss.
It's fine for me

Screenshot (23).png

Reactions: Ultra Chad

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Portrait picking works but I've got a couple people saying the headshot doesn't for THEM. Works on my saves still (as you can see in the screenshot) so I dunno what could be fucking it up. I've pinged Drake about investigating it ASAP.

Edit: Figured it out. Should be fixed for next patch.

Last edited:

Baggrin

May 16, 2019
It's fine for me

Oh, it looks like it's a problem with the web version then (I haven't downloaded the Windows version yet), which I quickly checked.

I see. Thanks, it would be really nice to continue using her old headshot and bust or just have the option even if I end up getting used to the new ones enough to use them.

Reactions: Savin

KingShadowCB

Oct 1, 2021
I mean, the Steam advertisement on the blog site has always pretty much looked the way the new art does with only very few and very small differences between the two. So as TheIrishOtaku already said, this just seems like an unnecessary post complaining about the new art not matching and living up to your preferences. It's especially unnecessary considering that as others have already stated and pointed out to you, you can just change it and go back to using the older art anyways. No one is forcing you to use the new art, even though it was obvious Cait was meant to look this way, and has been meant to do so for a while now.

View attachment 35330
I don't use the blog site almost ever, this was like my first post, and when I do I go straight to forums. However, Blonde Cait is nowhere on the actual steam store page.
The main post was gut reaction, I've had it before, but it was never this strong (usually because they weren't a main companion). There's still legitimate critique in there, which are: the lower eyelashes have got to go, darker colors for the hair, and completely remove stage one hair.

KingShadowCB

Oct 1, 2021
Portrait picking works but I've got a couple people saying the headshot doesn't for THEM. Works on my saves still (as you can see in the screenshot) so I dunno what could be fucking it up. I've pinged Drake about investigating it ASAP.

The lower eyelashes have got to go
Darker colors for the hair
Completely remove stage one hair.

Please pass these on as they are my actual critiques/suggestions, thank you.

Reactions: Nitan

TheIrishOtaku

Nov 14, 2021

Pass it onto who exactly? Moira, the artist? Do you expect them to redo the design because you aren't happy with it? That seems a bit presumptuous man.

KingShadowCB

Oct 1, 2021
Pass it onto who exactly? Moira, the artist? Do you expect them to redo the design because you aren't happy with it? That seems a bit presumptuous man.
Why are you being so mad right now? I expect them to consider it. And yes I'm not happy with it, because I feel like Moira can do better. In all honesty it's small adjustments that I'm asking for. I don't expect much more.

TheIrishOtaku

Nov 14, 2021
Why are you being so mad right now? I expect them to consider it. And yes I'm not happy with it, because I feel like Moira can do better. In all honesty it's small adjustments that I'm asking for. I don't expect much more.
I'm not mad, I'm just saying it seems presumptuous when you're the only one who seems to have those particular issues with it. If anything you're the one who's mad right now, you hate the portrait so much you're replying to Savin asking him to intercede on your behalf because it bothers you so much. Whether or not Moira can do better is debatable and its really up to Savin if he wants Moira to make any changes. It doesn't matter if the adjustments are small, its still extra work that they'd be putting on her all to please one random person. Not only would that set a bad precedent, what happens if other people prefer it the way it is now or want it changed in a different way? Should they get equal say in changing it? If you hate it so much just use one of the older ones, that's probably the best that you're gonna get.

HugLife

Aug 7, 2018

Moira drew the hair exactly as it's supposed to look. DCL's all pink hair was an error, and in an updated bust he drew forever ago even he corrected it to be blonde with pink highlights.

Caitriss is a lithe and athletic catgirl standing at about five foot eight, or a little over if you count her big, perky cat-ears. Pale skin covers most of her body, and she sports a cutely feminine face with a small, upturned nose beneath a pair of big, blue eyes with vertical slits. Her face is framed by short, not-quite-shoulder length hair that's clearly blonde, though her locks have been highlighted with a bright, bubbly pink color. Her ears and the long, flexible feline tail behind her are both completely masked in pink, giving the cat-girl a playful and cheery look.

KingShadowCB

Oct 1, 2021
I'm not mad, I'm just saying it seems presumptuous when you're the only one who seems to have those particular issues with it. If anything you're the one who's mad right now, you hate the portrait so much you're replying to Savin asking him to intercede on your behalf because it bothers you so much. Whether or not Moira can do better is debatable and its really up to Savin if he wants Moira to make any changes. It doesn't matter if the adjustments are small, its still extra work that they'd be putting on her all to please one random person. Not only would that set a bad precedent, what happens if other people prefer it the way it is now or want it changed in a different way? Should they get equal say in changing it? If you hate it so much just use one of the older ones, that's probably the best that you're gonna get.
So you're saying I should just give up on trying to help make a game that I very much care for just a little bit better? The game is in early access, it's still VERY malleable, tons of things aren't set in stone. Why do you think we have the portrait swap system?
Moira drew the hair exactly as it's supposed to look. DCL's all pink hair was an error, and in an updated bust he drew forever ago even he corrected it to be blonde with pink highlights.
if DCL fixed it, why wasn't it changed until now?

TheIrishOtaku

Nov 14, 2021
So you're saying I should just give up on trying to help make a game that I very much care for just a little bit better? The game is in early access, it's still VERY malleable, tons of things aren't set in stone. Why do you think we have the portrait swap system?

No, I'm saying you should stop acting like your particular gripes with an element of the game are worth any more than anyone else's and stop bothering Savin to bother artists to make changes on your behalf. There's plenty of things I dislike about this game, art wise or otherwise, and you don't see me acting the way you are. Loads of people have suggestions, critiques or problems with the game, as well as ideas to help improve it. But to expect that the devs will consider your pet idea and give it enough weight to ask an artist to redo a piece, when its just one person asking for it, one person who is very clearly biased against it and could just use something else, seems arrogant as well as naive to say the least. The DCL bust is separate from this one, this is yet another optional portrait you can use, which has been explained to you a few times already.

KingShadowCB

Oct 1, 2021
No, I'm saying you should stop acting like your particular gripes with an element of the game are worth any more than anyone else's and stop bothering Savin to bother artists to make changes on your behalf. There's plenty of things I dislike about this game, art wise or otherwise, and you don't see me acting the way you are. Loads of people have suggestions, critiques or problems with the game, as well as ideas to help improve it. But to expect that the devs will consider your pet idea and give it enough weight to ask an artist to redo a piece, when its just one person asking for it, one person who is very clearly biased against it and could just use something else, seems arrogant as well as naive to say the least. The DCL bust is separate from this one, this is yet another optional portrait you can use, which has been explained to you a few times already.
I asked why wasn't the default changed.
but fine, I guess I'll give up like the rest you, I mean you were biased against me from the beginning.

TheIrishOtaku

Nov 14, 2021
I asked why wasn't the default changed.
but fine, I guess I'll give up like the rest you, I mean you were biased against me from the beginning.
Because its an option, like the others are including this new one. It doesn't overwrite and delete the previous portraits, which you seem to think it does. Ironic considering you asked me why we had the portrait swap system when you don't even seem to understand how it works. You didn't ask why the default wasn't changed, you asked why wasn't it changed until now, you didn't mention the default. Also, I get you're kind of butthurt right now but there's no need to be bitter. Nobody's giving up and nobody is biased against you. You made a poorly thought out knee jerk post, people called you out and pointed out what was wrong with your reasoning and then when you made an unreasonable request you got called out on that too and once again had your reasoning critiqued. It happens to the best of us. For what its worth, I hope you can take the time when you've calmed down to look back over what was said and reexamine the situation with a cooler head and some self awareness. I'm dropping this now as its gone on far too long and I've said my peace. Have a good rest of your day/night.

Last edited:

HugLife

Aug 7, 2018
Go ask him on twitter. AFAIK the reason is that he only actually ended up completing one of the many busts she has.

Nov 9, 2021
For what it's worth, I think I prefer the new Moira bust, especially for the larger boob options. No shade on DCL, but the old version of Cait's F and G cup busts didn't look quite right to me. The new bust looks great for all available boob sizes!

Dayume

Jul 13, 2021
DCL Cait's is the I got used to, her hair looks so fluffy and her tsurime eyes combined with her :3 smile makes a confident and playful face like she knows that you are attracted to her.

Cait's new bust looks the best from the neck down but there was something bothering me about her head, it couldn't be that her hair isn't completely pink since ToonNik's Cait hair looks fine to me. Her face doesn't seem wrong either.
So I compared her with TooNik's Cait until I noticed the difference. Toonik's Cait cat ears are a bit blond at the base, meanwhile Moira's Cait cat ears are completely pink, the contrast with her blond hair makes her look like she's wearing fake cat ears.

Reactions: Arai and valkyr42