LEWD, an erotic text adventure in spaaaace (Semi-public access now up)

lenewtroll

Oct 16, 2015
So, what was said in the original post, and multiple times following the original post, is that there would be a public release in September, of last year. It is June, of this year, and there is no public release of any kind, everything is paygated.

Sadtaco

Aug 27, 2015
Yes. Thousands of keys were given out allowing the public to play it. It wasn't, and this still isn't, a completely open or wide release.

lenewtroll

Oct 16, 2015
Which means it is not a public release. "Public: of or concerning the people as a whole" Stop false advertising.

Sadtaco

Aug 27, 2015
Yeah I know. The correction is for the others that see and don't notice the name. I'm not going to argue semantics with a troll.

Like I signed up to try out that new LawBreaker's game months ago. It's a "Closed Public Alpha". I have not gotten in. It's not open. When that person asked when it would be open to everyone, I did not say it would be open to everyone in September 2015, I said there would be a public release.  I'm sure the original post before the edits was a lot more clear that it was a limited public release as well as I never had the capacity/intention to have tens of thousands playing this early.

> Public: ordinary people in general; the community.

Last edited by a moderator:

mc184329

Jun 29, 2016
Which means it is not a public release. "Public: of or concerning the people as a whole" Stop false advertising.

Well he does have a point..

Re: [HTML5]LEWD (Need feedback for alpha1 release!)

by Sadako » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:41 am

Test server for the alpha is now up for patrons
A public release that's open to all, and not just those helping funding it, will come in August or early September. At which point the test server will remain for Patrons.

https://legendofkrystal.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3337&cache=1&start=80

Look at his name. He's just here to shitpost.

Sadtaco

Aug 27, 2015
Oh, so I did say that.  I guess I wasn't thinking it through then.  I guess I thought I'd have more help and it'd be further along than it is now, for sure, but still. I didn't think there would be so many new issues coming up when it came to getting all the old content in the prototype working on the new engine that handles it completely differently. And there's a number of things I wanted to change due to feedback. And some of that feedback is a ton of people not understanding what "alpha" is. The game right now is basically what I was hoping it would be in August, sure, but at this point I want to improve it a lot more before people get their first impression of it. It's polished, and has potential, sure, but I want it to be a lot better.

At this point I do want to gate entry until the game is just better, but anyone who was following it and really wanted to play should have been able to. I did give out tens of thousands of keys to thousands of people, after all.

So I'm sorry if it feels like I deceived or whatever. I can understand that. It was a moment of short sightedness and plans changed so quickly that I forgot I actually said that. I should have properly corrected it long ago.

Anyway, here is a key with 300 uses this time: ALFA-2TWO-0REL-EASE
Redeem it on your account page.
We could really use your feedback and reports of any bugs you encounter.

JeffCharizardFlame

Jul 10, 2016
Glad to see this game is still going strong. I'm currently unable to give any money (sadly not even a dollar) for the game as I'm currently getting finances and other real life priorities in order, like moving out and getting bank accounts set up, and would like to try it out myself. Would anyone be able to help me out and find a key? I definitely will donate when I can though.

Z2H3

May 21, 2016
God damn it, I missed the key train again.

Does anyone have a spare key for a fellow blue balled sci-fi masturbator? You'd have my eternal gratitude.

I'd give money but I only have PayPal which has my real name on it so yeaaaaaah...

Sadtaco

Aug 27, 2015
I'm going to give some more with an upcoming update.

But sadly uh, someone posted a list of issues on the Kimochi forums and that site is just down. So I'm a little lost on all that needs fixed right now, which is holding it up.

Mightykitten

Oct 12, 2015
E580-9B47-1B34-B663 more public keys (one use left) have fun!

Also "I am Sluishtha" monster thing repeats itself if you're playing female gender

Gamepapa

Apr 18, 2016
Hell
PM a key if you please

Sadtaco

Aug 27, 2015
@Mightykitten the repeating thing is odd and I can't replicate it. What browser are you using?

Oh, and have you cleared your cache? That getting stuck thing looks like an old issue that got fixed. You may still have had the old client. It really really shouldn't be possible for that to happen anymore.

If you just ctrl+f5 the page it'll do a hard refresh and should make sure you get the updated client. Still working on version control to make sure that doesn't happen anymore in the future.

Mightykitten

Oct 12, 2015
I'm using google chrome and I'll clear my cache and see if I can do it again - sadly i couldn't recreate it

Sadtaco

Aug 27, 2015
Yeah, It was probably an issue I already fixed and just an issue in your cached client.

Alpha2 hotfix2

Thanks everyone that pointed out issues, particularly Leethar.

This is a pretty huge update, but I’m still calling it a “hotfix” since it’s really just bugfixes that ideally shouldn’t have been in the previous update. It is now live on both servers. Make sure you clear cache or do a hard refresh, as most of these are client fixes and I haven’t implemented any version control yet.

This key can be redeemed on your account page up to 300 times to grant main server access to the alpha: ALFA-2TWO-00UP-DATE

• Fixed dozens of content issues: there were minor story issues with Lia; finned had some improper replacement getter; repeated goo use had some unclosed psuedocode; amphib herms were missing a getter for their assigned name; shuttle no longer becomes broken when reloading the game from there; female taur missing some clothing checks; repositioned male taur; plantgirl ambush should no longer assume you’re completely topless/bottomless after just taking the outerlayer of clothing if you’re wearing multiple layers
  • Fixed dozens of wording & grammar issues: finned, goo, female taur
  • Fixed an engine issue that would show dialog options when only the first conditional was passed, yet properly didn’t resolve it on the server end, enabling the player to select a dialog option which they don’t pass which thus leaves it unresolvable. Affected the Lia repeated attempt to use an injector/capsule on her, and likely many others, which should be fine now.
  • Fixed an engine issue that would show dialog options when only the first conditional was passed, yet properly didn’t resolve it on the server end, enabling the player to select a dialog option which they don’t pass which thus leaves it unresolvable. Affected the Lia repeated attempt to use an injector/capsule on her, and likely many others, which should all be fine now.
  • Unmet conditions for a revealed dialog option now show a list of all the conditions.
  • Automatic text replacement now only happens when the selected variable getter outputs a string.  “your libido” will no longer erroneously change to “your 80”.
  • Fixed cum/squirt not being flagged to be normally bare, thus it would sometimes output “bare cum”.
  • One of the plantgirls encounters is removed from the main server as it’s just too unfinished/unplayable for now. (it’s still on test)
  • Adjectives/noun lists in character descriptions are now parsed better, avoiding issues that could come up from inputting double commas, or having a trailing comma.
  • As descriptions are generated in each scene, they’ll become more concise as they go.
  • Rewrote and brought back the missing feature that would describe clothed parts. It was bugged and describing everything as if bare. The new descriptions output also favors concise descriptions after repeated outputs.
  • As long as there is more than one noun or adjective for a body part, descriptions will no longer be the same exact one repeated one after another.
  • Made some changes to the way the game attempts to automatically detect that some content should be removing some clothing or uncovering some body part(s). This very well may have made some new issues where some content temporarily removes clothing when it shouldn’t (if you find such a bug, you’ll see weird writing with it describing bare parts with other writing around it sounding like it’s clothed).
  • Stats should summarize correctly now, with the bonus stats from Traits rolling into the base stats and giving the correct total where appropriate.
  • All character saves have been cleared, just in case there is left over messed up stuff causing problems. There wasn’t a sane way to refractor the stats fix, too.

Known or known-ish issues:

• Top/bottoms description may have issues when it comes to multiple layers? Might need to add a description getter to only show the outer layer, or something.
  • Issues sometimes come up with there being duplicate references to item instances, making an item unequipable. Similar issue may make the client output bare or clothed descriptions when your character should be topless or bottomless and such. I think this is rare and usually there’s no problem.
  • Gail needs a complete rewrite, pretty much. Can’t just take her out because she’s integral to a lot of progression.
  • Eggs don’t get cleared out when clearing a save? Not confirmed. I need to rework that whole system, though, to be more object oriented.

If you find more issues, please post them on the forums, and with steps on how to recreate them for the more major ones that aren’t just writing issues. Please don’t use the feedback section in the game to report bugs!

Sadtaco

Aug 27, 2015
There was an issue in the last update that had a lot of wide spread issues with variables not updating to the client.

That's fixed now.

Sadtaco

Aug 27, 2015

7wcVL3O.png

This isn’t the Alpha3 release yet, but I wanted to release this  part of the update early as it now makes the game playable for those  that don’t have a computer or browser good enough to support WebGL.

It should start with the fallback CSS3D renderer and  automatically switch to WebGL if you have support for it. And you can  toggle between them in the settings to use whichever you prefer.
    There are also various efficiency improvements to both the building of the star map initially, and the WebGL rendering.

The CSS3D renderer may still be slow for some, as it’s entirely CPU  bound, especially if you have other programs eating up your CPU, but  that’s what I’m going with as I can keep a reasonable degree of parity  to how the star system is displayed for consistency.

I'm also changing how the writing funding works, effective August 1st, so Patrons' money is more effective.
    Previously, I assumed I'd be able to keep an active writing staff with  the money involved, and I split 50% of the Patreon funds based on how  much was written, but there wasn't enough to encourage writing more when  there weren't other writers to compete again. My assumption was that if  someone is getting paid $60 per thousand words, I could easily find  someone to add onto the team and split that to $30 per thousand words...  but apparently not.
    Now, that 50% goes into a reserve. Writers are paid a base $15 per 1000  words from the reserve, and the rest is paid as a bonus each quarter if  milestones are hit and a small bonus to their previous content so they  can still earn significantly more to share in the success.
    This way, such as right now, where I don't have enough writers making  enough content, that money is there in the reserve to fund getting a lot  more content added once I do find more good writers.

You can read the entire update notes here: http://www.playlewd.com/blog/?p=741

Taboo-Sho

Sep 9, 2015
Im semi-poor, anyone got a spare key for a Half-sane guy who died then came back to life more powerful?

ThatOneJester

Nov 14, 2015
Well I became a patron.
I look forward to the end of the month?

Sadtaco

Aug 27, 2015
The entire update post is too unreasonably large for a forum post.
See this blog post for the complete update notes, and images and such!

Sorry it's been slow the past few months. Holidays, and only having one writer on the team, makes things slow, but we're chipping along.
We're working on the Alpha3 release. If you just have an account registered with the site, you should get a key for that.
After that release, assuming there's no major issues, the next release will be public and keys won't be required anymore (Patreons will still get the benefit of test server access and such that we develop on)

This update to the dev tool also affects the writing tryout application tool.

FSG7UDD.png

One of the major additions in this update to the dev tool is highlighting to the "psuedo-code" that the writing part of a scene uses.
It's one of the many updates which makes it easier to add content to the game, and edit the current content, to speed things along in the future - especially once we have more writers working on it.

ThatOneJester

Nov 14, 2015
Right, so I played the game after getting myself my own Key.
I have to say it was an interesting experience, and the game has much potential?
Maybe I'll come back after awhile and see the possible many changes.

Anyways I believe it is possible to share my Key with others, so I will do so since I don't feel like playing any time soon.
First come and first serve, so don't blame me if you don't use the code in time.

Key: AA0B-B91B-A381-4828
Uses at the time of post- 9

Enjoy. <3

Sadtaco

Aug 27, 2015
Thanks for sharing, @ThatOneJester

In addition to getting the game polished up more for the Alpha3 release, I've been working on polishing up the site itself better.
One thing that's been pointed out a few times, is that the old dev tracker page was a bit of a mess. Especially at times when there's a lot of updates, and especially when one bit of content/scripting is updated repeatedly in the same day.
dev-tracker-jan2017-1.png

Instead, it now consolidates repeated edits and groups them by the day, so it should be easier to read.
I also added something so I can easily add messages here, since it only automatically tracks changes to game content but doesn't track things like engine changes, client changes, site updates, and so on. (Eventually, I'd like it to automatically list client changes, but the game server and web server are greatly separated, at the moment) That way I can make small updates where you'd expect to find them when they don't warrant a new post on the blog right away.
The other update is for probably the most asked question about the game: how much content is in it?
word-counts.png

The main page of the site now shows an automated tally of just how much.
The Alpha2 release was ~154k words of content.
On the test server, there is a bit that needs to be deleted and isn't actually playable, so really that number is about 5-10% less than what it shows there, but suffice to say: we're looking at at least 50% more content in the upcoming Alpha3 release over Alpha2.
Really, perhaps more than double the content when it comes to some content getting rewritten or removed and replaced. So I'm happy about that, even though I wish we were at this point much sooner.
After the Alpha3 release comes (probably March, as I'm confident I can get the new programming needed done by then, but content being polished up is more iffy), the first open beta release - as in, no more keys needed to play on the main server - will come soon after. I will just be seeing if things are as bug free and polished as I hoped, and I just want to make a new UI and social features (for those that play multiplayer) for the Beta1 release that follows after Alpha3. So, much less to do than had to be done between Alpha2 and Alpha3, thus Beta1 shouldn't take nearly as long as Alpha3 has been taking.
Originally I wanted around half-a-million words of content in the game for the first open release, but that's just not feasible now without making people wait longer. Fulca has added quite a lot the past few months, and I'll be adding more after I get this programming done, but we simply need more writers. Hopefully, it'll be easier to get more good writers on board when the game is open and easier to get into.

After Beta1 comes, we'll get to adding more content including more planets to visit, and other areas on the current planets you can explore, hopefully with more writers on the team. I'll be getting to adding personal player ships, and another feature that's going to remain secret until I get close to finishing it.
Content will also be moving from the test server to the main server faster. We eventually will have less milestone releases like Alpha1, Alpha2, Alpha3, Beta1, and so on, and the main server will just have bits and pieces transferred from the test server as they are considered ready. It's not intended to have the main server be outdated as it is now, it's just how things are at this stage in development.

Getting there, but still a ways to go.

Sadtaco

Aug 27, 2015
Hey, everyone. I don't have good news.

I decided to suspend the Patreon and have it not charge the Patrons monthly for May since I couldn't get hardly anything done with LEWD this month, and Fulca added a lower amount of content this month than usual as well. Plus there's enough money in the writing fund from previous months to pay him anyway.

I've just, I don't know. My computer was running really slow. Profilers and debuggers seriously slowed it down. It was extremely frustrating fixing some bugs that needed to be fixed, and those last updates I did to speed up the tools. It's really been burning me out I guess.
This month I was working on getting my new PC set up, so that's at least one problem out of the way, but I'm sure I'm not going to be able to motivate myself as well as I did before when I was working 100 hours a week on the engine and tools.
It's just gotten less fun for me. Fixing bugs, adding extremely complicated technical features, all the polish. Things taking longer than I hoped, that's a big one. I need to work on something new and fun again which'll mean less time for LEWD.
But that was mostly the plan, pretty much? I made this engine and tools so anyone can add really varied content and different game systems so a number of people can contribute to expand the game and content without me having to do much at some point. It's roughly a year behind schedule now, is the problem. I wanted to have a free release out by now, which would hopefully attract more people to want to help make content for it and grow it into a big game with millions of words of content. And to potentially make the engine available for others to make their own games. That's still the plan, it's just way behind schedule.

The worst thing has this viscous cycle of how I probably could have gotten a lot of fun other stuff done that I'd enjoy doing more, but I haven't been hardly doing. I feel like I should be working on LEWD, can't motivate myself to, and thus I do nothing at all instead of doing something else constructive when I really enjoy making things. So I might have to force myself to take more of a break before I get Alpha3 and the free public release to follow out. And don't get me wrong, I like LEWD a lot and it's a game I've really wanted to make ever since I made that prototype. There's just been so many stumbling blocks that have demotivated me, sadly.

Sadtaco

Aug 27, 2015
Nope. :< I'm waiting for the Alpha 3 release to give out more. There's still a few bugs to fix and an important new feature to add before that.

If you are registered on the site, you will get a key guaranteed when it's released, at least. I just don't know when that'd be because I've had trouble motivating myself to finish this update.

Reactions: Sapphire

Sapphire

Mar 31, 2016
New York
Nope. :< I'm waiting for the Alpha 3 release to give out more. There's still a few bugs to fix and an important new feature to add before that.

If you are registered on the site, you will get a key guaranteed when it's released, at least. I just don't know when that'd be because I've had trouble motivating myself to finish this update.

I get that, I just figured if you're worried it might be delayed maybe you would give out a few more keys so people could play the non-patreon version until then.