"Naughty Wyvern" reference?

xVff12

Jul 21, 2016
When getting to know Emmy, the weapons dealer on Myrellion, you get progressively lewder as you do more things for her. On this path, she said something that immediately struck me, here's the quote: "On it is something that looks like the bizarre love-child from a threesome of a saddle, a condom, and high-tech, self-strapping bondage gear. 'It’s a herm harness. TamaniCorp partnered up with Naughty Wyvern to produce them a year or two back.'" All I can think of when I hear "Naughty Wyvern" is the name of a real life company that produces fantasy sex-toys; "Bad Dragon," as the names are synonymous. Is this a coincidence, or perhaps a nod to the company?

Last edited by a moderator:

OnyxDrakkenblade

Jul 1, 2016
it is NOT synonymous but it's VERY close, a wyvern is NOT a dragon. It is in fact a clear reference to the mentioned company of sexy goodies though.

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
Depending on some sources wyverns are a type of dragon where others say they are no where closely related. When people capitalize on something without doing research the waters get muddied and lore changes.

NotYouNorI

Aug 26, 2015
it is NOT synonymous but it's VERY close, a wyvern is NOT a dragon. It is in fact a clear reference to the mentioned company of sexy goodies though.

Many dragons in various folklores are described as what you would call "wyverns". The only reason we differentiate wyverns and dragons as separate fantasy species is because they are defined as such in popular D&D settings and other sources of fantasy pop-culture.

Zavos

May 7, 2016
Wyverns are as much dragonish as humans are as much apeish

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
Yeah DnD outlook a lot of races are dragonish, hell a lot of races that are related to dragons in DnD can understand and speak draconic. Lets not forget several games out there, MTG has Drakes with are basically a cousin species of Dragons that just can't breathe fire. Then there are some other games, imo videogames like say the Elemental series where there's several speices of creatures that are related to dragons.

Lets not forget the one game that really brings to mind Dragons, Skyrim. Though in my mind those Dragons would be perfect examples of Wyverns or as old nordic legends call em Wurms since they're the front arm less variety.

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
Then you have Asian dragons of various sorts, flying serpents of the mezoamericans, and I'm sure the various African cultures have their own creatures that would fit the bill of "dragon".

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
Wyverns are as much dragonish as humans are as much apeish

That only applies in the context of D&D and ect, otherwise it's "if it is a big flying reptile, it's a dragon."

Considering humans are apes (no getting around that) then if wyverns are "dragonish" by this logic they are dragons. They fit that "big flying reptile" description to a T.

NotYouNorI

Aug 26, 2015
Considering humans are apes (no getting around that) then if wyverns are "dragonish" by this logic they are dragons. They fit that "big flying reptile" description to a T.

In regards to what real life cultures consider as dragons, yes, that's my point.

Lashcharge

Aug 27, 2015
Many dragons in various folklores are described as what you would call "wyverns". The only reason we differentiate wyverns and dragons as separate fantasy species is because they are defined as such in popular D&D settings and other sources of fantasy pop-culture.

Depends. What distinguishes a dragon from a wyvern in heraldry(which is more reliable than modern fantasy) is the number of legs, with dragons having 4 and wyverns having 2.

Monster Hunter has a pretty strong connection to biology and it's always fun to see how they "categorize" the monsters.

NotYouNorI

Aug 26, 2015
Depends. What distinguishes a dragon from a wyvern in heraldry(which is more reliable than modern fantasy) is the number of legs, with dragons having 4 and wyverns having 2.

That distinction, precisely, is set by "modern fantasy" and as i keep emphasising I'm talking in the context of RL folklore.

For example: in the town where I live, there are two statues that everyone refers to as dragons, but any fantasy buff worth their salt would say that they are cockatrices.

EmperorG

Sep 6, 2015
That distinction, precisely, is set by "modern fantasy" and as i keep emphasising I'm talking in the context of RL folklore.

For example: in the town where I live, there are two statues that everyone refers to as dragons, but any fantasy buff worth their salt would say that they are cockatrices.

Wouldn't they be able to tell from the fact the statues have Rooster heads? I mean a chickens face and a dragons face are pretty different, one would think.

NotYouNorI

Aug 26, 2015
Wouldn't they be able to tell from the fact the statues have Rooster heads? I mean a chickens face and a dragons face are pretty different, one would think.

Again, a thing "modern fantasy" thought us to differentiate what dragon's face looks like. Different cultures have their own different definitions to what qualifies as a "dragon". "Dragons" being creatures that don't exist in the real world.

Also the average shmuck doesn't know what a cockatrice is, especially here were we don't even have translation for a "cockatrice".

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
What about a translation for "basilisk"? That's another thing oft considered a dragon by old standards.

NotYouNorI

Aug 26, 2015
What about a translation for "basilisk"? That's another thing oft considered a dragon by old standards.

the concept of a "basilisk" is over here introduced to pop-culture through the Harry Potter franchise and the immediate association to a "basilisk" is a giant snake.

xVff12

Jul 21, 2016
This got really off-topic. Let's just agree that Wyvern's are kind of dragonish, and the terms are interchangeable in some cases. Being as both are mythological creatures spanning thousands of years and multiple cultures, there is no "right" answer as to if they are dragons or not.