Quest Failed - Chapter Two Demo released! [Monster Girl/Femdom Visual Novel]

FrostWorks

Jun 7, 2016

HQZZCE4.png

9Enge6J.png

---------

Hi there! On the recommendation of those who have played the game and have enjoyed what it has to offer, I bring to you guys a little project I've been working on over the months called 'Quest Failed'.

To sum it up, it's an episodic visual novel, following the adventures of a rather unfortunate adventurer, who just can't quite seem to succeed in finishing a quest... But as he quickly learns, maybe failing a quest sometimes isn't the worst thing that can happen to a man in the world. To clarify, the game will be commercial, though supporting through Patreon will always be the cheapest way to obtain it.

Feel free to click on the itch.io link for a more extensive view at the characters and story if it interests you!

Quest Failed currently features the following:

• Monster girls
  • Femdom

• Fully voiced h-scenes

• A large and expansive story that will gradually unfold over the course of several chapters, influenced by player choice. (Sometimes in subtle ways, other times affecting things such as which CG scenes may occur)
With the demo released, I'll be working on putting out the first official chapter of the game, which should be completed in the next couple of months providing all goes well with the art assets and the rate of which they're completed.

Please let me know what you think, as your feedback is super important to me and I want to make sure I can make this series be the best it can be. And as the first chapter nears its completion, I'll be looking for recommendations on which monster girls people may want to see in subsequent chapters, and which kinds of scenes they might prefer.

Thanks again for your time!

Last edited:

NEET-Hime

Aug 27, 2015
I love VN, I love MON...but slime girls and dead girls aren't my thing. I'll give this to my friend.

PS. If your doing your waifu in game keep in mind, Yeti is mine! You cant have her.

Last edited by a moderator:

FrostWorks

Jun 7, 2016
Yeah! Monstergirls!

Whoo!

I love VN, I love MON...but slime girls and dead girls aren't my thing. I'll give this to my friend.

PS. If your doing your waifu in game keep in mind, Yeti is mine! You cant have her.

That's understandable! I realise with such a limited cast that I won't be able to appeal to all monster girl fans. ...Yet! Hopefully I can have a cast that'll be quite diverse several chapters in. Still, I appreciate you sharing it with your friend.

The full chapter will also contain a dragon girl, a lamia and a doll (the girl pictured in my avatar)

I imagine it'll be quite fun figuring out which kinds of monster girls I can include alongside the ones I already have planned out for the overarching plot!

Taboo-Sho

Sep 9, 2015
Will it be Free with the full release?

FrostWorks

Jun 7, 2016
Will it be Free with the full release?

Ah, sorry, I guess that was an important part I skipped out on.

It'll be a commercial release for each chapter (somewhere in the range of $12 per), though I'll always be offering expansive demos for each chapter on release to ensure people have a chance to test it out first. I'll go and amend the initial post to clarify this.

Taboo-Sho

Sep 9, 2015
Ah, sorry, I guess that was an important part I skipped out on.

It'll be a commercial release for each chapter (somewhere in the range of $12 per), though I'll always be offering expansive demos for each chapter on release to ensure people have a chance to test it out first. I'll go and amend the initial post to clarify this.

Well I guess Im SOL then. On my budget I can only afford Free.

FrostWorks

Jun 7, 2016
Understandable, but voice over actresses cost money...

This is true! Alongside the sprites and CG scenes with many layers to them, it all adds up~

I would love to offer free games and perhaps further on down the line I can begin to make smaller side games that can be offered for free alongside the main chapters. but unfortunately for the main Quest Failed chapters they'll have to remain paid content, if only to keep a roof under my head for all I've invested in them, haha.

I understand not everyone will be able to afford these things though, which is why I'll always strive to release a lengthy demo for each chapter to showcase at least some of the monster girl fun!

FrostWorks

Jun 7, 2016
tried the demo, pretty long and well done for "just a demo"

nice work

Thanks!

To give an idea of how long the final product will be: Since the demo features two CGs, the full first chapter will feature 10 CGs (though this could expand!), all similar lengths, with story segments in between.

Look forward to the full release in the coming month or so. Nearly everything is done, it's just a matter of putting it all together and waiting for the last couple of art assets to be completed. I'm really excited to see it all come to life~

Xeenith

Jun 8, 2016
it's a bad time for me so I won't be able to buy it when you release it. if I end up playing it, it won't be a paid version, until I finally get back on my feet and can buy the few games I "tried" and liked, so sorry in advance if I end up too curious of the complete chapter 1 :p

xyzabc198

May 4, 2016
Ooooh my jesus, round of applause from me and an instant patreon backer, excellent work guys, this game looks amazing! The art style is absolutely stunning (although I am a little disappointed with the lack of nipples qq) the story is funny and well written, I think I only noticed one spelling mistake in the whole demo, and no grammatical errors. The voice acting is amazing. All in all, this is a masterclass for any game devs wondering how to make a demo!

FrostWorks

Jun 7, 2016
Wow this game is really great so far, can't wait for the first chapter!

Thank you! If all goes well that should be in the next month or two. I'm fairly optimistic things should be done in time, though.

Ooooh my jesus, round of applause from me and an instant patreon backer, excellent work guys, this game looks amazing! The art style is absolutely stunning (although I am a little disappointed with the lack of nipples qq) the story is funny and well written, I think I only noticed one spelling mistake in the whole demo, and no grammatical errors. The voice acting is amazing. All in all, this is a masterclass for any game devs wondering how to make a demo!

And thank you as well for your support~ I'm glad you enjoyed it. Makes all those months of blood, sweat and tears worth it!

On the subject of nipples, Tari's first CG actually did have a part to it where the bandaging on one of her breasts lifts up at the same time as her crotch bandaging, but I decided that it looked better to just have the bottom half stripped for that particular scene. Maybe the alt version of that scene can be shared on Patreon down the line or something, since I know someone else was lamenting the lack of nipples in the demo too, haha. I guess for the demo I was a bit limited in that regard given one girl doesn't even have nipples!

And yeah, as many times as I did go through the demo, I think some things did slip through, but the writing will be polished more come the final release. I'm hoping that beta releases will help catch any little mistakes that might slip by before the big releases, too.

Thanks again to everyone that has played through it so far! Your support and feedback means a lot to me and I really am determined to make sure this series can be the best it can be!

xyzabc198

May 4, 2016
And yeah, as many times as I did go through the demo, I think some things did slip through, but the writing will be polished more come the final release

I wish I could tell you where the 1 spelling mistake I caught was, but I honestly cant remember :(

FerrousFlint

Mar 14, 2016
I gotta say, this game piques my interest like Everest. Male rape games are soooooooo rare, and sometimes disappointing.

What fetishes will be included in the game?

FrostWorks

Jun 7, 2016
I gotta say, this game piques my interest like Everest. Male rape games are soooooooo rare, and sometimes disappointing.

What fetishes will be included in the game?

I agree, haha. I've always felt like there hasn't been enough of the kind of stuff I'm directly interested in, so I'm trying my best to resolve that!

The main theme will always be female domination of course, coupled with all manner of tentacles, tails and bandages binding the poor MC up~ Along with some rougher play from some of the more aggressive monster girls later on. So imagine stuff that places them in a position of power over the MC--footjobs, etc.

Of course, if someone feels there's a specific kind of fetish that is lacking, I'm always taking more suggestions for further chapters, to make something that can appeal to a wide range of monster girl fans!

buffmuffin

Apr 5, 2016
I agree, haha. I've always felt like there hasn't been enough of the kind of stuff I'm directly interested in, so I'm trying my best to resolve that!

The main theme will always be female domination of course, coupled with all manner of tentacles, tails and bandages binding the poor MC up~ Along with some rougher play from some of the more aggressive monster girls later on. So imagine stuff that places them in a position of power over the MC--footjobs, etc.

Of course, if someone feels there's a specific kind of fetish that is lacking, I'm always taking more suggestions for further chapters, to make something that can appeal to a wide range of monster girl fans!

Did i mention Vampire girls, corruption, demon girls, corruption, slime girls, and corruption? 

:p

Vasin

Aug 27, 2015
I'm having difficulties even playing the game. Every time I've tried to open the application, my computer pulls up a 'Stopped a Trojan Attack' window, and then gives me an error saying I may not have what I need to open the application.

So is there something I need, or am I just doing it wrong?

FerrousFlint

Mar 14, 2016

I have kinks that are kinda extreme but are also very restrictive for their tastes, like pregnancy, birth, incest, basically forced breeding. The caveat being that I like it to happen towards male victims; monster and regular women, raping and enslaving men to father their young, that type of thing. So you can imagine how often that particular festering itch has been scratched. And thanks to FENOXO!!!! I now have green fever like a motherfucker, cocgoblins now sit at the top of my monster list followed by cowgirls, and harpies. 

Personally, I would love to see some monsters like that in game, like female ogres or orcs (don't have to be pigs) or holstaur or insects, maybe as a game over bad end or something. That right there, is GUARANTEED patronage.

FrostWorks

Jun 7, 2016
Did i mention Vampire girls, corruption, demon girls, corruption, slime girls, and corruption? 

:p

Maybe. Once or twice. : P Corruption is definitely something I've been playing around with the idea of, since I'm sure a man would have to have a will of steel to at least not be a little affected after being subjected to their whims so many times!

I'm having difficulties even playing the game. Every time I've tried to open the application, my computer pulls up a 'Stopped a Trojan Attack' window, and then gives me an error saying I may not have what I need to open the application.

So is there something I need, or am I just doing it wrong?

That could be the results of an over-zealous antivirus flagging it as something potentially harmful. I believe you would need to add it to the exceptions/whitelist on your anti-virus, since I'm sure most of the people who have played it can attest that there's nothing nasty lurking inside. (Unless you count the monster girls!)

I have kinks that are kinda extreme but are also very restrictive for their tastes, like pregnancy, birth, incest, basically forced breeding. The caveat being that I like it to happen towards male victims; monster and regular women, raping and enslaving men to father their young, that type of thing. So you can imagine how often that particular festering itch has been scratched. And thanks to FENOXO!!!! I now have green fever like a motherfucker, cocgoblins now sit at the top of my monster list followed by cowgirls, and harpies. 

Personally, I would love to see some monsters like that in game, like female ogres or orcs (don't have to be pigs) or holstaur or insects, maybe as a game over bad end or something. That right there, is GUARANTEED patronage.

Ahh, that kinda stuff sounds pretty good, too! Obviously I felt a bit limited in having that kind of stuff on the 'main route' so to speak, as that would stop the story dead in its tracks. But yeah, if I can increases the scope of subsequent chapters and allow for more branching/bonus CGs, that kinda stuff would be awesome

FrostWorks

Jun 7, 2016
Played the demo and I gotta say, I had fun with it.  Gotta love that sleepy mummy :p

Glad to hear it~

And yeah, the dozy ol' mummy was one of my favourites to write for in the demo. I always try and sneak a sleepy character into my works, because gosh darn it they're just so cute.

Her voice actress really had a lot of fun with her character too and adores Tari, to the point where she's recently made a Twitter account to represent the game, herself and Tari of course. Make sure to give her some love if you're a fan of her work, I'm sure she'd appreciate it!

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
Finished the demo myself now.  I'm personally quite a fan of monster girls, so big points for that by default.  I think the writing is perfectly fine for the most part and I rather like the characters.  Artwork is quite nice, and while I wasn't keen on the idea of fully voiced scenes, I can't say that they took away from the experience.  The softer moaning was rather appealing, in fact.

Where I found the experience most lacking was in the interactive elements.  I simply didn't feel like there were enough choices in the game and the few that were in there didn't feel like they changed anything, even before seeing what the other options lead to.  There's also the problem that players might end up having to go through content that they don't have an interest in since there's no way to choose to pursue the characters you like or avoid the ones you don't.  If I were to offer some suggestions on the matter, options that let you bypass sex scenes would be my first suggestion here (ex: choosing to fight the slime or just talk to her, grabbing a torch off the wall or using your sword to defend against the mummy).  This would let the player avoid content that they aren't interested in and focus on their relationships with the characters that they do like.  Making sure that the story doesn't branch out too much and there are too many variables to track in the story is always challenging, but if you're planning for this when writing in the first place you can avoid a lot of the most common issues like avoiding direct mentions of previous encounters that may or may not have happened.

Another option for letting the player control the content that they run into would to be do something like have the Visual Novel be a collection of different stories, instead of sequential chapters.  Then you could have one chapter that focuses on bondage (like the current one), another that focuses on say corruption, another on families, etc.  Each could be Matt choosing a different quest to start with and running into different monsters along the way.  There are different ways that this could be done, this is just a random idea.

One other random idea I had was to do with the voice acting.  Have you considered adding voice filters to the dialogue to make the girls sound less human and more like their monstrous nature?  I'm not sure what's necessarily available, but adding something like a hollow echo to the mummy might sound interesting or slight slurping/dripping sounds to the slime.

Overall I do like what you have here and I'm interested in seeing more.  I'm always interested in more femdom and monster girl stories, as I write them myself.

FrostWorks

Jun 7, 2016
Finished the demo myself now.  I'm personally quite a fan of monster girls, so big points for that by default.  I think the writing is perfectly fine for the most part and I rather like the characters.  Artwork is quite nice, and while I wasn't keen on the idea of fully voiced scenes, I can't say that they took away from the experience.  The softer moaning was rather appealing, in fact.

Where I found the experience most lacking was in the interactive elements.  I simply didn't feel like there were enough choices in the game and the few that were in there didn't feel like they changed anything, even before seeing what the other options lead to.  There's also the problem that players might end up having to go through content that they don't have an interest in since there's no way to choose to pursue the characters you like or avoid the ones you don't.  If I were to offer some suggestions on the matter, options that let you bypass sex scenes would be my first suggestion here (ex: choosing to fight the slime or just talk to her, grabbing a torch off the wall or using your sword to defend against the mummy).  This would let the player avoid content that they aren't interested in and focus on their relationships with the characters that they do like.  Making sure that the story doesn't branch out too much and there are too many variables to track in the story is always challenging, but if you're planning for this when writing in the first place you can avoid a lot of the most common issues like avoiding direct mentions of previous encounters that may or may not have happened.

Another option for letting the player control the content that they run into would to be do something like have the Visual Novel be a collection of different stories, instead of sequential chapters.  Then you could have one chapter that focuses on bondage (like the current one), another that focuses on say corruption, another on families, etc.  Each could be Matt choosing a different quest to start with and running into different monsters along the way.  There are different ways that this could be done, this is just a random idea.

One other random idea I had was to do with the voice acting.  Have you considered adding voice filters to the dialogue to make the girls sound less human and more like their monstrous nature?  I'm not sure what's necessarily available, but adding something like a hollow echo to the mummy might sound interesting or slight slurping/dripping sounds to the slime.

Overall I do like what you have here and I'm interested in seeing more.  I'm always interested in more femdom and monster girl stories, as I write them myself.

Hi there! Thanks for going through the demo, I appreciate it~

In terms of the interactive elements, I fully agree that they could be more involved. The full first chapter will certainly have more choices that will be kept note of in the background, and even transfer between chapters, ultimately culminating into big events further on down the line.

If given the budget, there's definitely a certain point in the story where there's a defined split in the way the story goes--essentially choosing a side in a conflict, with entirely different results depending on the side chosen. Right now though for the first chapter, I'm incredibly limited in scope and feel to maximise enjoyment of the game, that all of the CGs I can afford in terms of my budget should be readily available to access.  There is a lot more I would like to do in terms of the scope of things, and I hope these can come to fruition!

For voice acting, I think that kind of stuff would definitely be fun to mess around with. An audio engineer I am not, though, and my ability extends to cutting up the voice clips and making sure there's no clicks/noise, so I would be fairly clueless as to how to go about that kind of stuff myself, but I'm not opposed to adding just that little 'monstrous' touch!

Thank you again for playing the demo, and your feedback~ I've taken note of all of it and it'll certainly be helpful in finishing up the first chapter. I hope you'll enjoy the full chapter upon its release!

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
You're welcome.

With the interactive elements, you probably don't need to write up big branching paths or big alternative scenes based on player choices.  Even just minor things that change character affinities in the background and the next few lines would be plenty.  Same with scene skipping.  There doesn't need to be alternative scenes if you do skip or consequences, but just having the option to skip would go a long way to making the game more accessible to people since they're much less likely to be forced into content they don't like.

I just did a quick google search of voice changers and filters.  It looks like there are several different things out there with free trials on them.  If you had a few hours to just mess around, you could grab a few and see what it's like to use them.

Vasin

Aug 27, 2015
My computer finally decided to let me play the game, and I have to say i absolutely love it. Monstergirl domination is always a fun thing to have, and I actually thought the game was kind of cute at certain times. I'll admit that I absolutely love the character Tari, and want to see more of her.

The demo did it's job though, and I'd be more than happy to shell out money when you get a full game out.

A question, are you going to implement a gallery mode? Or did you already and I wasn't paying attention?

FrostWorks

Jun 7, 2016
You're welcome.

With the interactive elements, you probably don't need to write up big branching paths or big alternative scenes based on player choices.  Even just minor things that change character affinities in the background and the next few lines would be plenty.  Same with scene skipping.  There doesn't need to be alternative scenes if you do skip or consequences, but just having the option to skip would go a long way to making the game more accessible to people since they're much less likely to be forced into content they don't like.

I just did a quick google search of voice changers and filters.  It looks like there are several different things out there with free trials on them.  If you had a few hours to just mess around, you could grab a few and see what it's like to use them.

I see what you mean. I'll have a play around with various methods and see what the most elegant solution might be for this kind of thing, while trying to stay faithful to the overall story, since obviously there's a big focus on the harem, and competition between the monster girls. Thanks again~

My computer finally decided to let me play the game, and I have to say i absolutely love it. Monstergirl domination is always a fun thing to have, and I actually thought the game was kind of cute at certain times. I'll admit that I absolutely love the character Tari, and want to see more of her.

The demo did it's job though, and I'd be more than happy to shell out money when you get a full game out.

A question, are you going to implement a gallery mode? Or did you already and I wasn't paying attention?

Glad you enjoyed it! I'm working hard on the full first chapter now so hopefully it shouldn't be too far away.

A gallery and scene replay option will be implemented in the full game. I felt for the demo since there was only two scenes, that implementing a gallery wouldn't have been worth the time it would take. (Though you can replay through the scenes easily if you choose to start a new game after beating the demo.)