Steele's starship

Name62

Oct 21, 2015
Hm. That thing looks pretty spacious, actually. I pictured something more like

Serenityship.jpg

Why does it look like a cyber duck?

crushogre

Sep 2, 2015
The Ship is meant to be a ugly junker so don't expect anything its literally a piece of scrap they attached some thrusters and a updated computer on to.

I know the Z14 isn't great, but I never got the idea it was anywhere near that bad

Last edited by a moderator:

FerrousFlint

Mar 14, 2016
I meant to ask this in the first part of the thread so rather than start a new one and clutter up this section of the forum, so I'll ask it here: was there going to be open space exploration with your ship in the game, like in and around star systems or just in space in general?

K

Krynh

I meant to ask this in the first part of the thread so rather than start a new one and clutter up this section of the forum, so I'll ask it here: was there going to be open space exploration with your ship in the game, like in and around star systems or just in space in general?

Can't see how that would work..

MESeele

Aug 26, 2015

What kind of budget do you think TiTS has? Menu-based maybe, and that's a pretty big IF. Open exploration, no.

Luke01

Dec 5, 2015
I like the style the protoss ships had in StarCraft. In a text game it will be in your mind's eye, but if I commissioned a capital ship's design it would cost a ridiculous sum, be staffed by more crew than the player could actually get to know and be described like the attached image.

27680-protoss-carrier-starcraft-ii-2560x1440-game-wallpaper.jpg

FerrousFlint

Mar 14, 2016
Can't see how that would work..

What kind of budget do you think TiTS has? Menu-based maybe, and that's a pretty big IF. Open exploration, no.

I meant like the explore button in CoC, mostly just exploring space and finding or encountering random events and people. Not like... whatever game does this, I probably should've word that better.

K

Krynh

I meant like the explore button in CoC, mostly just exploring space and finding or encountering random events and people. Not like... whatever game does this, I probably should've word that better.

There's random events planned for when you're flying. But doing exploring stuff like CoC takes away from coding planets.

Last edited:

Starstruck

Dec 11, 2015
Given that the average consumer light drive can accelerate a ship to 1/3rd the speed of light, nevermind the incredibly handy Akkadi-pattented Warp Gates, I feel like the only way to add the Spaceship dogfights we've been promised (besides hostile pirates ambushing travelers at said gates.) is through a deep-space exploration feature of some sort... so, yes? Maybe? Idk.

K

Krynh

Given that the average consumer light drive can accelerate a ship to 1/3rd the speed of light, nevermind the incredibly handy Akkadi-pattented Warp Gates, I feel like the only way to add the Spaceship dogfights we've been promised (besides hostile pirates ambushing travelers at said gates.) is through a deep-space exploration feature of some sort... so, yes? Maybe? Idk.

Takes time to accelerate to those speeds. Plus warp gates are a choke point. Unless they're also their own battlestation.

Last edited:

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
Takes time to accelerate to those speeds. Plus warp gates are a choke point. Unless they're also their own battlestation.

If I recall warp gates I think in the U.G.C. are heavily defended. I mean really after the Thraggan fiasco one would think it's a very good idea to have warp gates heavily guarded to prevent invasion fleets. Though that does beg the question how the heck do pirates slip past em? I mean if the gates are guarded as such how would a pirate fleet be able to gain access to otherwise high security systems? Makes me think they discovered some obscure tech that allows them to have warp capable engines without the need to use warp gates.

K

Krynh

If I recall warp gates I think in the U.G.C. are heavily defended. I mean really after the Thraggan fiasco one would think it's a very good idea to have warp gates heavily guarded to prevent invasion fleets. Though that does beg the question how the heck do pirates slip past em? I mean if the gates are guarded as such how would a pirate fleet be able to gain access to otherwise high security systems? Makes me think they discovered some obscure tech that allows them to have warp capable engines without the need to use warp gates.

Or they pass as legitimate traffic. Hiding weapons.

Starstruck

Dec 11, 2015
In Star Wars mass produced starship models are usually identified by transponder codes unique to each specific vessel. Pirates and smugglers (most recently the 'Ghost' in Rebels) were known to jury-rig those devices to transmit dummy ID's instead so they could slip through republic, and later imperial space largely unmolested.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
Or they pass as legitimate traffic. Hiding weapons.

depends on the ship really, I mean it's kinda hard to hide those turreted weapons. I would think the fleet patrolling a system would not take kindly to a civilian owned military grade warship.

K

Krynh

depends on the ship really, I mean it's kinda hard to hide those turreted weapons. I would think the fleet patrolling a system would not take kindly to a civilian owned military grade warship.

Recess them into the hull? Cover them with dummy panels to reflect radar?

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Also bribery is an option if you're sufficiently wealthy and powerful to have acquired a ship too big to hide its weapons.

K

Krynh

To go slightly off-topic. Do you need another warp gate on the other side to exit from? 

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015

Sort of. When SPESS is implemented the "go to planet" menu will disappear and be replaced by something else. What that something else is usually changed by the drawboard overlord Gedan every few months, but you'll be flying through space in some manner. 

Longbow

Feb 10, 2016
I can only assume that pirate fleets prefer to operate in a single area to avoid using gates. Smaller pirate outfits could probably move between gates without too much difficulty, but would be limited to small-scale actions due to their size. Very large syndicates like the Black Void probably have their operations set up to be autonomous in whatever regions they reside, only sending shipments and small vessels between gates.

No matter how rich or sneaky you are, I'm sure there are some things you just couldn't get past security. Military vessels, a fleet, things like that. Maybe particularly distinct ships, as well, if they've been tied to illegal activity.

FerrousFlint

Mar 14, 2016
To go slightly off-topic. Do you need another warp gate on the other side to exit from? 

Yes, they are almost exactly like Stargates.

Huh, for something so integral to the games lore they're hardly "shown" in the game. I was thinking they were like the gates from Cowboy Bebop or the mass relays from Mass Effect. Hell I thought most travel thus far was done by F.T.L., shockpoint, or slipstream travel or something.

Sort of. When SPESS is implemented the "go to planet" menu will disappear and be replaced by something else. What that something else is usually changed by the drawboard overlord Gedan every few months, but you'll be flying through space in some manner. 

Cool

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
the Warp gates sort of remind me of the gates talked about in the lore of Galactic Civilization series, Rebel Galaxy, and yeah of course Stargate, you know those Super Gates during the last few seasons with the Ori. (God I miss that series, fucking SciFY CEO didn't like the series and had it nixxed, damn bitch. There's just not that many good SF tv series nowadays that match up to some series, B5 and SG being among the few). There are probably some other examples I can give but I can't think of em at the moment.

Edit: I totally forgot about EVE online with their gates as well.

EmperorG

Sep 6, 2015
the Warp gates sort of remind me of the gates talked about in the lore of Galactic Civilization series, Rebel Galaxy, and yeah of course Stargate, you know those Super Gates during the last few seasons with the Ori. (God I miss that series, fucking SciFY CEO didn't like the series and had it nixxed, damn bitch. There's just not that many good SF tv series nowadays that match up to some series, B5 and SG being among the few). There are probably some other examples I can give but I can't think of em at the moment.

Edit: I totally forgot about EVE online with their gates as well.

I think the EVE gate that brought them to that galaxy from the Milky Way was the largest gate of the lot, though the Ori ones were damn huge too. Gal Civ's gates only ever got mentioned in the background lore, since humanity discovered the miracle of combining a gate with a fusion reactor, now that is thinking with portals!

Also yeah it is sad SG got shut down hard, why they thought replacing the best shows they had with Wrestling on Friday nights I'll never understand.... no wait scratch that I do understand, pure greed, assholes were making a lot of money on a show that had jack-all to do with Sci-fi. (Also funfact: SyFy is how syphilis is pronounced in Polish)

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
I'm surprised no one posted the Enterprise before your necro.

Zavos

May 7, 2016
Edit: Sry didn't notice necro.