MMW - My Monster World (Last updated: 26/07/2016)

BubbleLord

Scientist
Creator
Jun 24, 2016
Saw mention of dominance and submissiveness. While I voted to remove it, I figured I'd suggest an idea, similar to a combination of the two that we see in FoE. That game has Dom/sub stats for characters (and the PC) along with opinion/relationships. If you could aim for a similar mark, I think I could be good. The amount of coding and work to get scenes to work would likely be far greater though.

LaserSpecter

Questions about the game. When I play it, I can't seem to save. I click on the slot that I desire to save it in and nothing is happening. Am I just doing it wrong?

The same thing happens when I try increase the stats of my character, nothing happens. Since this has caused me to get stuck in a place where I still have stats befitting of a level 1 character. And every time I fight the guards at the mansion, I get my ass whupped, then I get sent back and is unable to access the mansion again through any means that I can see.

JVal

Apr 5, 2016
@BubbleLord I'll check it out, but just copying someone else's "idea" probably wont happen. Thank you for the suggestion though, might give me some ideas!

@LaserSpecter Would you mind telling me what browser you're using? And are you using the private browsing function? Sorry for the inconvenience!

JVal

Apr 5, 2016
@LaserSpecter If it was the same problem I was having, it was actually saving but the confirmation message was hidden. Thank you for letting me know, I'll upload the fix tonight!

LaserSpecter

@BubbleLord I'll check it out, but just copying someone else's "idea" probably wont happen. Thank you for the suggestion though, might give me some ideas!

@LaserSpecter Would you mind telling me what browser you're using? And are you using the private browsing function? Sorry for the inconvenience!

I am using Microsoft Edge and I was using a private browser but moved back to the normal browser, but it had the same results.

@LaserSpecter If it was the same problem I was having, it was actually saving but the confirmation message was hidden. Thank you for letting me know, I'll upload the fix tonight!

I hope you good luck on the developing the game.

MMMm

Feb 20, 2016
I answered your survey but wanted to clarify more. With dominance and submission, perhaps the best balance is if being more submissive to your partner causes more events like the "warehouse incident" to take place. The monster does something stupid but logical...from their point of view. The Slime's boredom caused her to seek you out. Admittedly at the worst possible moment, but she's only been alive for a few hours and isn't particularly bright.

Perhaps a creature like a dominant succubus would solve the warehouse incident by instigating a fight and then sucking (possibly literally) the souls out of the guards. When asked why, she would tell you that she's a demon that uses sex to consume the souls of mortal beings. This is just what she does and your input is not wanted nor necessary.

If the monsters weren't dominant over the player, then the player could just bluff the guards and tell them that they were recently hired and their family really needs the money. What with the flooding and all having rendered them homeless. This sob story would be enough to get them to the engineer.

To encourage players to use both(technically three, if you decide to allow neutrality) paths, you could add a perk tree of buyable abilities that are dependent on your levels of dom/sub. They would be different for each monster and balanced so that you have a mechanical reason for both choices. Your strategy in combat could be completely different because of this depending on your relationship with your monster.

This also saves you the trouble of writing out alternate storylines and winding paths for the monsters taking control of the players' life. If the monster really inconveniences the player on such a level, then monsters are just parasites. Some degree of...discomfort is semi-acceptable in exchange for power, money or what have you, but there's a line that gets crossed, I believe, when the monster hinders you in a battle and puts your life at risk. At that point you'd be better off having just bought a really big dog. There's no logical reason to keep something so useless around, especially if whatever creature eventually leads to a bad ending. Why would anyone want to be submissive if it just gets you killed?

JVal

Apr 5, 2016
Thank you everyone for filling in the survey! Quite a few people participated, which is amazing.

@MMMm Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. It definitely gave me ideas for a better approach to this system!

The last part is highly subjective though. Some of the monster girl's appeals are definitely corruption, mind control, femdom, etc. So losing control, while realistically not a smart option, will definitely be part of the game in one way or another. There are probably not going to be "endings" in the game, though.

On an unrelated noted; new patch! Not very big, but I couldn't release all of it yet I'm afraid. Notes here: http://jvmmw.blogspot.nl/2016/07/26072016-patch-notes.html

lklklklk

Jun 27, 2016
I've tried playing in 3 different browsers but the game stops responding to my actions in all 3 of them after a few dozen actions.

Are you familar with this problem?

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
Report:

• Each time I check the mirror, it starts the character creation process over again.  If intentional, please add a confirmation before starting the process so we don't have to recreate our characters again by accident.
  • I can't seem to level up my stats, the buttons don't do anything.
  • "Loading..." Seems to have gotten stuck active on my game.
  • Reading the bestiary in the library results in me getting stuck on the choice.

JVal

Apr 5, 2016
@lklklklk Thank you for letting me know. I can't say I've had this issue in any browser so far, but I'll check it out!

@TheDarkMaster I will check it out right away, thanks you! As for the mirror, that's a good idea.

Sorry for the invoncenience!

Edit: I have to go to bed, work in the morning. I'll be home early, so I'll make sure all of this is fixed if I can reproduce the errors. So far I couldn't reproduce any of the errors (except for the bestiary crash) in Chrome, but I did add the change to the mirror.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cog

Apr 17, 2016
I got stuck on a loading screen when I tried to re-enter the library after resolving the flooding issues and accepting Maira (Moira? I forget) as my maid (I went with slime assistance to end the flooding, if you need to narrow it further).

As far as my thoughts on the game, I'm quite liking it so far. I wish there were more options for consensual relations with your own monsters, though. I'm willing to accept the corruption aspects, but I like the option to enter into that semi-willingly, as well. Particularly since the opening seems to suggest that you're heading for "dark lord/ladyship," I kind of feel like there should be a way to be corrupted while maintaining dominance.

JVal

Apr 5, 2016
@TheDarkMaster Character creation process now has an option to close the dialog, if the player already used the mirror before. The bestiary book should no longer crash the game. I think the loading bug you got may have been lag; it doesn't happen often, but my current host isn't anything special so sómetimes it fails to load a file. I was unable to reproduce the problem you had with the stats, however. I'll keep trying to reproduce it.

@Cog Ah, it seems the "inspect library" option would still be available when it shouldn't be, in some cases. Thank you for letting me know, it should be fixed now! I definitely do want to offer that option to the player, but I need to make sure I don't overwhelm myself with too many options right now. I'd rather get something a little more limited out and expand it with extra paths / options later, because it feels like nothing gets done if I spend too much time working on different story branches within one dialog. One dialog usually has the "good, neutral and bad" options and a seperate dialog for the opposite sex that's usually similar, but still different. What I'm trying to say is that there's currently mostly "neutral" content, where the player's opinion matters but doesn't really make them evil or good. Extreme paths with heavily corrupted or holy players will be added later.

Noticed some story inconsistencies, will fix those later. Want to get all the game-breaking bugs out of the way first.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
@TheDarkMaster Character creation process now has an option to close the dialog, if the player already used the mirror before. The bestiary book should no longer crash the game. I think the loading bug you got may have been lag; it doesn't happen often, but my current host isn't anything special so sómetimes it fails to load a file. I was unable to reproduce the problem you had with the stats, however. I'll keep trying to reproduce it.

Here's what I'm talking about: http://i.imgur.com/1gxNcl6.png

Just defeated the slime and am trying to increase stats, but neither the increase or decrease buttons do anything.  You can also see that, "Loading..." is stuck visible in the bottom right corner.

Arhon

Jun 22, 2016
Sometimes when i am trying to go down the Sewers the Map stays the same as if you are in the central plaza and the box where it says "Climb Down" it doesnt change at all.

I also made a female character and when i finished talking to the Engineer then went back down to the sewers then talked to the Slime Companion and accepted the offer the slimes recognized me as a male instead of a female.

JVal

Apr 5, 2016
@TheDarkMaster Weird... I'm going to track this down though, even if it takes all night.

I managed to reproduce the bug in Internet Explorer, so it shouldn't take too long to fix as long as it's nothing major. I have some idea as to why it's doing that though. Thank you for the screenshot!

@Arhon I'll keep an eye out for this, thank you for letting me know! I'll fix the other issue in a few minutes.

Arhon

Jun 22, 2016
No problem, i really love these type of games they are very fun :)

Really looking forward to its progression :)

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
Report:

• Reloading doesn't seem to change the flags for what monsters you have in your house, as Meria appeared in my house just before the sequence when you recruit her.
  • If you resolve the southern district issue without asking for more time from the Engineer, the mansion door is never unlocked and you cannot access it afterwards.

Cog

Apr 17, 2016
@JVal Yeah, this early in the process, I don't really expect as much as I may have suggested. I was more going off of MMMm's earlier post, and pointing out a few points I, as a player, would like to see some time in the future. You keep doing what you need to to keep going. To reiterate, for this early in the process, this game shows a lot of promise. I'm looking forward to where it goes from here.

JVal

Apr 5, 2016
@TheDarkMaster Oh, nice find! Was able to track the bugs and fix them immediately. Thank you again!

I don't want to add any legacy support (so people don't have to create new saves too often), so you do have to create a new character now. I imagine I'll be adding legacy support in the future, if I think people are actually starting to get invested into their character through progression or otherwise.

@Cog I always have this irrational fear of coming off as hostile or defensive when I'm ranting about something. I appreciate it when anyone shares their thoughs / expectations / desires, so thank you! I'll certainly try my best.

FerrousFlint

Mar 14, 2016
Not bad, I'll definitely follow this game in the feature. I'm more interested in seeing other monsters as other than a slime as companions though, like a lizardfolk for mages and alchemsts or beasts for warriors.

JVal

Apr 5, 2016
At the moment, after making your decision when talking with the engineer, there isn't much to do. You get a new companion when you walk outside, and you can walk to the forest, but that's it. I'm working hard to get more content out though!

BubbleLord

Scientist
Creator
Jun 24, 2016

A forest? Oh myyyyyyy~.
George Takei knows what's up.

TankHunter678

Apr 12, 2016
I hope that further down the line we can get a Kitsune (not the furry kind) companion. Could be skilled at hiding their ears and tail to hide out among humans and had been intending to contact you anyways (thus available at start).

In my mind it would be a Easy (?) (actually scaling difficulty, gets harder to handle the more tails (power) she gets) difficulty companion.

Potential content would be Corruption, Mind Control, Transformation, Futanari, Gender Bender. Possible classes could include Miko (Shrine priestess with empowered healing magic and anti-demon offensive magic), Gumiho (empowered charm magic (avoid battles, disable enemies) and Energy Drain), Spirit (give up physical body to merge power with PC) and Goddess (requires all 9 tails).

In combat Offensive Stance has her lend her magic to damage the opponent, Defensive Stance has her use her Magic to Heal/Buff, Neutral has her use her magic to try to charm the enemy to cease fighting.

Her goal would be to use the PC to help repopulate her species as they have been getting extensively hunted for their preference to hide in human cities. If PC is male or female and sub the Kitsune plans to turn them into a futa kitsune more concerned about breeding/being bred. If PC is Male and Dom the kitsune plans on becoming their devoted wife. If PC is Female and Dom the kitsune plans to turn them into a futa kitsune and become their wife. Either way she plans to be having lots of kids with the PC.

The Kitsune would offer sex often with the PC, and the PC may find times where they wake up to the Kitsune having their way with them, this allows the Kitsune to build up Sexual Energy which increases their tail count and options (such as charming that group of Guards to ignore you) but if she has too many tails relative to the player level it also makes her harder to handle. In the sense that trying to dom her is less effective, and being sub to her is vastly more effective (totally not a case of her subtly charming you to become subservient to her and feed her more power right?). Accept her advances too much, let her get too strong, and you walk down the path of the Bad (Yet good?) End where you give up your quest and become her breeding machine, and maybe possibly drag down other characters with you.

IvoryOwl

Sep 1, 2015
I hope that further down the line we can get a Kitsune (not the furry kind) companion. Could be skilled at hiding their ears and tail to hide out among humans and had been intending to contact you anyways (thus available at start).

In my mind it would be a Easy (?) (actually scaling difficulty, gets harder to handle the more tails (power) she gets) difficulty companion.

Potential content would be Corruption, Mind Control, Transformation, Futanari, Gender Bender. Possible classes could include Miko (Shrine priestess with empowered healing magic and anti-demon offensive magic), Gumiho (empowered charm magic (avoid battles, disable enemies) and Energy Drain), Spirit (give up physical body to merge power with PC) and Goddess (requires all 9 tails).

In combat Offensive Stance has her lend her magic to damage the opponent, Defensive Stance has her use her Magic to Heal/Buff, Neutral has her use her magic to try to charm the enemy to cease fighting.

Her goal would be to use the PC to help repopulate her species as they have been getting extensively hunted for their preference to hide in human cities. If PC is male or female and sub the Kitsune plans to turn them into a futa kitsune more concerned about breeding/being bred. If PC is Male and Dom the kitsune plans on becoming their devoted wife. If PC is Female and Dom the kitsune plans to turn them into a futa kitsune and become their wife. Either way she plans to be having lots of kids with the PC.

The Kitsune would offer sex often with the PC, and the PC may find times where they wake up to the Kitsune having their way with them, this allows the Kitsune to build up Sexual Energy which increases their tail count and options (such as charming that group of Guards to ignore you) but if she has too many tails relative to the player level it also makes her harder to handle. In the sense that trying to dom her is less effective, and being sub to her is vastly more effective (totally not a case of her subtly charming you to become subservient to her and feed her more power right?). Accept her advances too much, let her get too strong, and you walk down the path of the Bad (Yet good?) End where you give up your quest and become her breeding machine, and maybe possibly drag down other characters with you.

I'm no expert but that sounds somewhat complicated to implement on a more technical level. You're basically asking for a monster that "levels up" not only in a statistical sense but also evolves into different entities as time progresses - basically a 1-in-4 type of monster girl. Don't get me wrong - I like the idea - but I'm not sure how experienced the author is in that kind of thing or even if they're going to be able to pull it off.

BubbleLord

Scientist
Creator
Jun 24, 2016

Write it or pay someone to write it. I'm sure it can be done, but as someone who writes scenes I can tell you that part alone with the sheer amount of stuff you've suggested is a ton of work. Best way to get this sort of thing is to get it done as much as possible and offer it up so it can be coded in/coded as best as possible. This is such a personal fetish target, though, that I seriously doubt you'll get a "breed-happy kitsune" remotely along these lines.

JVal

Apr 5, 2016
@TankHunter678 I definitely want to add a Kitsune at some point; It's one of my favorites. I don't really have any plans for her at the moment though, but I appreciate the input! As others have commented, your description is very specific to a certain fetish though. I'd probably want her (and most other monster girls) to appeal to more people. Not saying it wont happen, I just don't really have any plans for her right now.

Just some general information; Anything can be done as long as I'm not adding Artificial Intelligence and a Virtual Reality mode or something crazy. Coding is not a problem, it's quite easy albeit somewhat time consuming. The "problem" is usually the huge amount of writing, even for small features. The amount of work the coding takes also has to pay off. So if it takes a long time to code but I'm never going to use it again for anything else, it's probably not worth it. That, or I just need to plan further ahead / better features.