Question about Myrellian Finale

SorenMageofMareth

Aug 28, 2015
Your desire to write for Myrellion might want to start with remembering the planet's actual name.

Myrellion is Xenogen's show.  The gold myr only still exist as a species thanks to them.  If any megacorp comes out on top of the planet in the end, it's going to be them.  You don't own Steele Tech yet, and even if you did, you'd be making a huge investment of its limited power with not much chance of success, while pissing off the most dangerous megacorp in the galaxy.

So they better hope their Albert Wesker still has a thing for Blondes.

TheInfamousImmortal

Aug 27, 2015
Your desire to write for Myrellion might want to start with remembering the planet's actual name.

Myrellion is Xenogen's show.  The gold myr only still exist as a species thanks to them.  If any megacorp comes out on top of the planet in the end, it's going to be them.  You don't own Steele Tech yet, and even if you did, you'd be making a huge investment of its limited power with not much chance of success, while pissing off the most dangerous megacorp in the galaxy.

I feel like thats gonna happen regardless later down the game's life. 

Ravelordnito

Sep 17, 2015

Are you implying that Steele Tech (headed by God-Empress/CEO Captain Steele) isn't going to wipe Xenogen of the face of the galaxy?

Last edited by a moderator:

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
I feel like thats gonna happen regardless later down the game's life. 

Not necessarily.  As it stands Steele is quite buddy-buddy with Xenogen if they do the quests on Mhen'ga and Myrellion.  Gave them three different honey fluid products and the means of producing a fiercely addictive narcotic practically for free.  There's no need at all to be anything but the best of friends with Xenogen, assuming you can live with yourself knowing what they are.

Are you implying that Steele Tech (headed by God-Empress/CEO Captain Steele) isn't going to wipe Xenogen of the face of the galaxy?

I'm saying it will likely be an even harder fight than the Black Void.  I wrote what is likely the best ally you could possibly have against Xenogen within Steele Tech, and that at best makes it plausible that you might win.  And you won't win by picking fights you can't handle.

Of course, you could defeat Xenogen on Myrellion by helping the red myr commit genocide against the golds, or by turning the planet into a nuclear wasteland, if you're okay with what either of those options entail.  But I would advise instead that you be patient and wait for a better opportunity.

SorenMageofMareth

Aug 28, 2015
Not necessarily.  As it stands Steele is quite buddy-buddy with Xenogen if they do the quests on Mhen'ga and Myrellion.  Gave them three different honey fluid products and the means of producing a fiercely addictive narcotic practically for free.  There's no need at all to be anything but the best of friends with Xenogen, assuming you can live with yourself knowing what they are.

I'm saying it will likely be an even harder fight than the Black Void.  I wrote what is likely the best ally you could possibly have against Xenogen within Steele Tech, and that at best makes it plausible that you might win.  And you won't win by picking fights you can't handle.

Of course, you could defeat Xenogen on Myrellion by helping the red myr commit genocide against the golds, or by turning the planet into a nuclear wasteland, if you're okay with what either of those options entail.  But I would advise instead that you be patient and wait for a better opportunity.

Methink that's going to be a long standing problem.  You could stop their exploitative interests but there's a giant ablative shells of 'not-hostages' they are 'halping'. 

I mean red venom is bad but the treatment exists. The galaxy's already fucked on that point and considering that they apparently get something working off a single vial of blood well on of those random merc was going to get something.  Considering Xenogens entrenchment it's looking like any victory against them is going to be by merger reformation or seriously scorched earth combat.  That is dig up enough skeleton, assasinate enough black hearts, cozy up to enough not so black hearts, and buy up into controlling interest to go reformationist.  Or as you say massively fuck up all their interests and implicate them for failure. 

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
I'd imagine the Nyrea option would be more of a stealthy takeover of the planet. With Captain Steele being an offworlder who could front credits for a buncha tech to give an advantage to their native allies. Maybe the Black Void could assist given that they managed to get a base on the planet, assuming you've not pissed them off too badly.

CrusaderDurante

Jan 13, 2016
I'd imagine the Nyrea option would be more of a stealthy takeover of the planet. With Captain Steele being an offworlder who could front credits for a buncha tech to give an advantage to their native allies. Maybe the Black Void could assist given that they managed to get a base on the planet, assuming you've not pissed them off too badly.

I'd imagine Xenogen would learn the moment a Nyrean walked into Gildenmere with something more advanced than a sharp stick and chainmail.

And it'd take a lot more than tech just to be an equalizer. From what I can gather, the Nyrea are not numerous enough anymore due to being previously pushed back underground. Or at least that may be implied by the fact they got pushed back in the first place. Technology can only do so much. 

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
They're probably the game's only real antagonistic reoccurring villain right now, what with the re:Myr and re:Bee-quest. And cousin too but people will want to murder 'em regardless.

Anyway.

I really wouldn't bother. Fen and Savin aren't going to let some randomer write something as significant as that. Start small, if you've got an interest in writing for TiTS.

This is rude. Rude! It gives off the gross implication that the powers that be will not accept a usual free contribution to the game they are paid to make for something just because they don't know the person. While true, you shouldn't start with the bar so high you can submit what you wanna submit regardless of what your name is.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Where did this Xenogen - Steele Tech war idea come from again?

No one place in particular.  Xenogen is kind of obviously evil, affable as they are about it, so it shouldn't be surprising that there are players who want to compete with or otherwise hinder them from doing evil shit.  Same reason people will want to fight the Black Void, the difference being the Void are mostly limited to one-off quests while Xenogen is a more overarching looming presence.  The Void may be more villainous, but the presentation puts Xenogen more front and center.

Also, you've brought up a faction system numerous times, which implies that you ought to be able to piss people off.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
They're probably the game's only real antagonistic reoccurring villain right now, what with the re:Myr and re:Bee-quest.

Xenogen aren't really antagonistic at all, though. Villainous, maybe, but never directed anywhere in the PC's way.

RuBoo

Aug 26, 2015
Personally, I don't like to take sides one way or the other. While I like the breasts borne by the Golds, as with any species, there are good Golds, bad Golds, good Reds, and bad Reds, none of this Always Lawful Good or Always Chaotic Evil garbage. Racism's bad, kids, y'wanna be good.

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
But people here are already talking about Myr societies and government, not races themselves, even though the sides of the conflict ostensibly represent overwhelming majority of their races.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Xenogen aren't really antagonistic at all, though. Villainous, maybe, but never directed anywhere in the PC's way.

As I said, Xenogen is the villainous faction that the player interacts with the most and appears to be the most insidious.  Screen presence matters, and factions like Beth Carver and the Black Void don't get the constant clear, visible presence that Xenogen enjoys.

Also, some people just don't like giving so much free stuff to another megacorp.

Heather_Trails

Jan 20, 2016
The neutral path should be putting a ton of transfomatives into their water source and transforming everything in orange Myrs. :p

Melody

Feb 5, 2016
The neutral path should be putting a ton of transfomatives into their water source and transforming everything in orange Myrs. :p

The problem with this is that it fails to grasp the concepts behind the medieval era thinking behind the war itself. I concede that in the long term, making everyone one race would eventually lead to a more stable position, but people wouldn't just lose their loyalties and ideals just because their chitin changed colour.

The once-red Myr would still be loyal to their emirate, and the once-gold Myr would be loyal to their kingdom. Nothing would change for several generations. All this move would do is make the battlefield more confusing, honestly.

Before introducing Orange Myr into the population, tensions absolutely need to be cut, otherwise it will simply escalate existing tension, with both sides either blaming each other or taking the transformations as an opportunity to strike from plain sight, as it were. Rather than stopping the saber rattling, it would simply reboot the war in earnest, likely with everyone even more angry than before due to their involuntary new forms.

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015

Wow, I can't believe nobody's ever suggested that before! What a brilliant plan with no downsides at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!1

As I said, Xenogen is the villainous faction that the player interacts with the most and appears to be the most insidious.  Screen presence matters, and factions like Beth Carver and the Black Void don't get the constant clear, visible presence that Xenogen enjoys.

Also, some people just don't like giving so much free stuff to another megacorp.

People want Xenogen to be an enemy because TiTS has so few ever-threatening antagonistic elements to engage with, just bosses that only exist for their dungeon and Team Rocket. Players naturally reach out for something to butt heads with. If they aren't enough immediate threats then they will take aim at elements which were more designed to be endemic-to-the-system props.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
People want Xenogen to be an enemy because TiTS has so few ever-threatening antagonistic elements to engage with, just bosses that only exist for their dungeon and Team Rocket. Players naturally reach out for something to butt heads with. If they aren't enough immediate threats then they will take aim at elements which were more designed to be endemic-to-the-system props.

That too.  Personally I'm not out to destroy Xenogen (for one thing that's essentially impossible), but taking them down a few pegs would be appreciated, even if that doesn't really have an effect beyond flavor text.  Certainly I don't think it speaks well of Captain Steele's potential as a CEO if they're making deals that make them a few thousand credits and make Xenogen a few trillion.  Developing Steele Biomedical into a viable competitor is one of the few things you'd be able to do so far that's actually relevant to the alleged goal of the game.  It's similar to why after some thought I'm in favor of your banana republic simulator: if Steele is supposed to be a businessman and leader, they really ought to have some opportunities to actually show it.

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
Having your uncle be a bigger part of the story would also work for having a main antagonist. Cus they've not really done shit aside from maybe Ben/Bess' story line if the mercs who kidnapped him/her work for him and not some other random investor.

MESeele

Aug 26, 2015
Uncle's not evil though. You can question his parenting, but the rest of his character is standard practice. "I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was. If I have to walk over people to achieve this, may they be as steps that raise me higher."

Now I'm picturing uncle stepping out of the shadows, monologuing about how he's going to save the universe by destroying it... There are no villains in TiTS right now. Even the Black Void is just reaching for power and wealth (so far), I'm sure lots of their peons just want to feed their families. I don't think many people aspire to be peon of blatantly evil organization #457.

I'd certainly like more polarizing choices for Steele though. Right now her choices may not paint her as the hero, but they certainly don't place her as overly malicious either. Steele for villain path!

MESeele

Aug 26, 2015
antagonist =/= evil.

Well I'll be, I totally misread your last post. My bad.

I always thought the game would become bigger than the inheritance race. So far it feels a little like the first three episodes of (almost) every anime, before the main story gets rolling. Though now that I think about it, Steele may have already inadvertently blown up a planet, and has had several encounters with people that will kill her. Still can't shake the feeling though.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015

MESeele

Aug 26, 2015
Err... I have a feeling we all know what antagonist means. Xeivous just called me out cause I super failed skim-reading his post.

And Ethereal, your definition isn't quite right either... The antagonist isn't just opposed to someone or something, but the primary opposition of the protagonist specifically. The definition you stated could well be the hated arch-rival of a flower in some desert in the middle of nowhere.

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
Err... I have a feeling we all know what antagonist means. Xeivous just called me out cause I super failed skim-reading his post.

And Ethereal, your definition isn't quite right either... The antagonist isn't just opposed to someone or something, but the primary opposition of the protagonist specifically. The definition you stated could well be the hated arch-rival of a flower in some desert in the middle of nowhere.

and on the subject of protagonist, they don't have to be good. They're simply the person the story is following.

Like you can have a story that follows the adventures of Rapey mc Genocide and he'd be the protagonist, while his arch enemy, Gandhi mc Mother Teresa would be the antagonist.

Man those were some dumbass fucking names...

MESeele

Aug 26, 2015
Haha, I'm pretty sure this side-topic has fallen well within the realm of "As you know". And villain protags are awesome, which is why I said a villain Steele route would be all kinds of fun.

And those names were both humorous and well conveyed your point.

TheInfamousImmortal

Aug 27, 2015
Developing Steele Biomedical into a viable competitor is one of the few things you'd be able to do so far that's actually relevant to the alleged goal of the game.  It's similar to why after some thought I'm in favor of your banana republic simulator: if Steele is supposed to be a businessman and leader, they really ought to have some opportunities to actually show it.

I would LOVE for both of those to happen. I would imagine that it would be possible for Steele Bio to give Xenogen a run for their money and possibly down the line surpass them.