Will unarmed combat ever be viable in TiTS?

Wife Material

Jan 25, 2016
N-No... I'm not asking just because I finished the first season of One Punch Man....

Don't be ridiculous. 

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
Purely unarmed or are we counting power fists as Fallout does?

Also if we ever do make unarmed actually viable, I kinda want to actually fight that secretary who you chicken out on fighting due to not having weapons.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
I have a weapon for my equipment shop that's a power fist.  That's about as good as you'll get.

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
Kinda a shame. I'd totally play a character that just martial arts their way through the Planet rush.

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
The only way I see it working out would be some sort of NPC that gives you various perks (of kung-fu, natch) that lets you keep pace with equipment. However, that would involve either regular NPCs or the player just swinging back at arbitrary check points, but still always be falling slightly behind. There isn't really a way to keep it "current" and fulfilling for the player, while also making it so the answer isn't just fighting unarmed and not wasting money on weapons.

It's come up in the past and something I wanted to try for a portion of another something, but brainstorming didn't pan out with a serviceable result. 

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
The only way I see it working out would be some sort of NPC that gives you various perks (of kung-fu, natch) that lets you keep pace with equipment. However, that would involve either regular NPCs or the player just swinging back at arbitrary check points, but still always be falling slightly behind. There isn't really a way to keep it "current" and fulfilling for the player, while also making it so the answer isn't just fighting unarmed and not wasting money on weapons.

It's come up in the past and something I wanted to try for a portion of another something, but brainstorming didn't pan out with a serviceable result. 

Maybe have it scale with physique and reflexes, plus build up like the concentrated fire perk for mercs? That might work to make it more viable.

Wife Material

Jan 25, 2016
Maybe have it scale with physique and reflexes, plus build up like the concentrated fire perk for mercs? That might work to make it more viable.

Should scale with your level, a rough estimate at how much damage you should be doing around that level. 

Then your Physique and Reflexes act as bonuses. 

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
Should scale with your level, a rough estimate at how much damage you should be doing around that level. 

Then your Physique and Reflexes act as bonuses. 

Could also work. Though I'm not sure what the best solution would be.

Fully Automated

Oct 11, 2015
Headbutt is level+(Phys/2). Headbutt costs 25 energy, so a mercenary with Heroic Reserves, Royal Nectar, and  Second Wind will be able to use it 10 times before running out of energy.

Unarmed combat hoo!

EmperorG

Sep 6, 2015
Headbutt is level+(Phys/2). Headbutt costs 25 energy, so a mercenary with Heroic Reserves, Royal Nectar, and  Second Wind will be able to use it 10 times before running out of energy.

Unarmed combat hoo!

Unleash your inner Krogan!

SorenMageofMareth

Aug 28, 2015
Realistically it'd have to be powerfists and alike all the way down.  Even traditional martial arts were for the most part build up to actually using a weapon. Unless you did something like a grapple okay tag and added special moves that were different from normal but balanced against the rest.  Like a Suplex doing weight based damage. Or beating someone with someone else or the environment. 

CrusaderDurante

Jan 13, 2016
You'd have to have a weapon, I imagine. Seeing as energy weapons and laser weaponry is fairly common, most fights would probably go like: This

Incoherently grumbles about Protagonist Armor...

Heather_Trails

Jan 20, 2016
You'd have to have a weapon, I imagine. Seeing as energy weapons and laser weaponry is fairly common, most fights would probably go like: This

Incoherently grumbles about Protagonist Armor...

Maybe, but quite a lot of the creatures you fight in the overworld don't use guns.

Galvani

Feb 25, 2016
If we want to keep the mechanics to the fluff with this and balance it with other weapon types, make the unarmed techniques permanent buffs or perks which cost money to acquire and that don't activate if a weapon is currently wielded. You could even fluff it as learning a variety of fighting styles from a variety of sources, with one or two masters on every planet teaching anything from advanced bar room brawling to the Wu-Han Thumb of Death. It would also give some anchor points for some quests.

Avarus Lux

Feb 26, 2016
Unleash your inner Krogan!

hell yeah +1  :D

If we want to keep the mechanics to the fluff with this and balance it with other weapon types, make the unarmed techniques permanent buffs or perks which cost money to acquire and that don't activate if a weapon is currently wielded. You could even fluff it as learning a variety of fighting styles from a variety of sources, with one or two masters on every planet teaching anything from advanced bar room brawling to the Wu-Han Thumb of Death. It would also give some anchor points for some quests.

i prefer  The Wuxi Finger Hold myself, but i can see the appeal of the thumb :).

also, headbutts with horns = extra damage imho, or naleen catclaws and such. specials should be there for taur back-leg kicks or fore legs.... naga constricts, etc....

Last edited by a moderator:

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
also, headbutts with horns = extra damage imho, or naleen catclaws and such. specials should be there for taur back-leg kicks or fore legs.... naga constricts, etc....

Physical aspects of TFs won't ever grant combat bonuses, according to the devs, so that's that. Besides, Captain Steele don't need such things, or even mastering the *insert martial art's name here* to kick some ass. They are imbued with nanomachines, son.

Now I want Big T to be the final boss of the New Texas dungeon.

Avarus Lux

Feb 26, 2016
Physical aspects of TFs won't ever grant combat bonuses, according to the devs, so that's that. Besides, Captain Steele don't need such things, or even mastering the *insert martial art's name here* to kick some ass. They are imbued with nanomachines, son.

Now I want Big T to be the final boss of the New Texas dungeon.

well, receiving headbutts with horns on the head seem more painfull to me then a headbutt without them... and being able to constrict a foe using a naga tail like a naleen can and does for a few turns to steele, would be fun, but ok, if the devs say no to the matter, sure. i'm not a developer and just sharing my 2 cents of a opinion.

as for the nanomachines, i know the nanomachines are the mcguffin of this game, but... don't make em the "be all end all" crap, as when you do that, things go south quick as you wont need anything else... besides steele's imbued with nanomachines designed for body mutations and transformations, not combat.... and mastering something is a process of learning and practicing, which can be done or sped up through the nanobots, i'll give you that.

if steele had combat nanomachines though... why even bother with external weapons when you are your own living weapon, be it transformed biological or nanomachine forged appendages and armor to aid you shoot/slash stuff to shreds to get to your goal... you would only need raw materials to get going, which could be anything and everything.

ah well, everyone has their own opinion about complex setups like this.

CrusaderDurante

Jan 13, 2016
well, receiving headbutts with horns on the head seem more painfull to me then a headbutt without them... and being able to constrict a foe using a naga tail like a naleen can and does for a few turns to steele, would be fun, but ok, if the devs say no to the matter, sure. i'm not a developer and just sharing my 2 cents of a opinion.

It makes sense, yeah, but it also forces cookie-cutter builds which aren't fun at all. 

It'd be like the old days of WoW. Your build had to be a very specific way or it underperformed no matter what. 

And it's ultimately a smut game, so the fact we even have a combat system as developed as it is is impressive.