No chances to win a fight

ShyFaun

Jul 11, 2018
Either I don't understand something or choosing White Mage enables hardmode somehow.

Ok, and I Cait won battle with first 2 cultists. Then I guess we're not supposed to win a fight with 3 cultists, right?

But then I need to go somewhere out of the village and there are harpies and wyverns each goddamn step. There is no way to beat them! They do too much damage, both HP and blue thing (what is that actually?)

So please either tune down their damage or expain what I'm doing wrong.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Blue is Resolve. It's basically Lust in reverse.

All the encounters in the game are perfectly beatable. Focus your attacks on a single enemy at a time and use your special abilities whenever they're off cooldown.

Reactions: Tainted-Alice

ShyFaun

Jul 11, 2018
All the encounters in the game are perfectly beatable
All I can do is cast Heal and White Fire. And thats simply not enough when single enemy attack deals 30+ damage.
Cmon, In original CoC you had time to level up beating Imps just pressing "Explore" outside of the camp till you'll be ready to face more dangerous enemies. Here you get f**ked by 3 hapries with no chance to win.
Beating Wyvern is possible but only when the Great Random is generous and Wyvern doesn't kill you with 2 blows due to Crits.

Hanzo

Oct 10, 2015
Yeah, I tried the White Mage yesterday and noticed it.

It's probably because of this:

Also I feel I should mention, there is another bug I just fixed that's still on live where all gear stats other than damage, accuracy, and crit are being set to 0.25 instead of their normal values. I added logic that was meant to multiply off-hand weapons' stats by 0.25 (to make them 25%), but I fucked up my parenthesis and so it is instead setting all stats to 0.25 (yes, less than 1). This is why people have been noting that heavy armor feels like cardboard, it basically is right now :p

Healing spells aren't useful at all when they heal less HP than the damage enemies deal.

Heh, I skipped the prologue to fight the harpies and this happened on my first try:

"Harpy Thief A makes a running lunge at Cait, grabbing at her with her razor talons and mighty thighs! Cait gets a face-full of feathery harpy muff, but more more importantly, the bird-slut's mighty legs wrap around her neck and shoulder. With a squawk of effort, the harpy lifts Cait into to air, hefting her high off the rocky pass! Cait screams as she is driven into the sky... and let loose! Cait screams as she is dropped head-first against the hard stone below! Ouch! The impact leaves Cait staggered! (-127) (-0) Critical Hit!"

Cait has only 105 HP at level 1. This happened on turn one before I could make a move. If the harpy had targeted me instead of Cait it would've been instant defeat.

Upcast Drake

May 27, 2017
Southeast USA
Yeah, I tried the White Mage yesterday and noticed it.

It's probably because of this:

Healing spells aren't useful at all when they heal less HP than the damage enemies deal.

Heh, I skipped the prologue to fight the harpies and this happened on my first try:

"Harpy Thief A makes a running lunge at Cait, grabbing at her with her razor talons and mighty thighs! Cait gets a face-full of feathery harpy muff, but more more importantly, the bird-slut's mighty legs wrap around her neck and shoulder. With a squawk of effort, the harpy lifts Cait into to air, hefting her high off the rocky pass! Cait screams as she is driven into the sky... and let loose! Cait screams as she is dropped head-first against the hard stone below! Ouch! The impact leaves Cait staggered! (-127) (-0) Critical Hit!"

Cait has only 105 HP at level 1. This happened on turn one before I could make a move. If the harpy had targeted me instead of Cait it would've been instant defeat.
That attack they use is the strongest in the game currently, is assigned to one random harpy at combat start, and can only be used once per encounter. You just got incredibly unlucky that they used it first AND crit :p

Hanzo

Oct 10, 2015
You just got incredibly unlucky
The story of my life:negativeman:

The most common ways the RNGoddess can screw you is when Cait doesn't attack my target so it takes several turns to defeat one enemy, or when all harpies decide to hit me with physical attacks the first turn for a total of ~ 90-100 damage (then Cait casts that defensive buff on me when I'm barely alive to add insult to the injury).

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
The most common ways the RNGoddess can screw you is when Cait doesn't attack my target so it takes several turns to defeat one enemy

Threat also works for enemies, too. The more threat enemies have, the more likely your companions are to target them with attacks.

phaos

Apr 8, 2018
I mean some of this is a symptom of the foothills, while accessible from the start and philosophically doable at level 1 with just Cait, sort of being the second area, right? Our initial quest breadcrumbs mostly point us to the NYI forest where we'd have a chance to pick up another companion and just in general toughen up a bit before we'd go to the foothills.

Hanzo

Oct 10, 2015
Threat also works for enemies, too. The more threat enemies have, the more likely your companions are to target them with attacks.
I know, but enemies get to act between Cait's turn and mine, so the enemy with the highest threat by the time Cait gets to act may be a different one than when I attacked.
There's also the chance that I may go first, so enemies will have no threat when I get to act the first turn.

Phoenix11

Dec 17, 2017
only way ive been able to find to do combat in any way is to play as a "black mage" because then you can summon a punching bag to eat a hit or two while you hope that Cait Heals you and you can spam your abilitys.
Lets be honest Combat in this game needs Major retunes or a complete overhall

Reactions: Xanfaus

Linarahn

Jan 6, 2017
I found that the Thief class CAN work, but it basically amounts to hoping what you're doing works out. Especially if you're like me and go "This has to be soloable, I don't even care about Cait." But the only reasonable way to stand a chance, I found, is to grind exp and money by lust-defeating the wyvern over and over to build up my thief.

The accessible area being the foothills really makes no goddamn sense.

Phoenix11

Dec 17, 2017
wouldnt be as bad if we could controle cait but we cant its RNG if she even does something helpful and more RNG if the game just doesnt randomly Oko you in the first turn.

Reactions: Xanfaus