My problems with the taint mechanic

PalletTown

Sep 10, 2015
I have two main problems with taint and how it is currently in the game.
The first problem is that taint is poorly implemented. Taint seems to accrue by on individual tf and not ingestion. This leads to bizzare circumstances where high tf per ingestion items such as goblinola and ruskvel give huge (and variable) amounts of taint but illegal items such a dumbfuck and gush give comparatively smaller amounts of taint.
My second issue with taint is how it is framed in story. It is framed a genetic corruption and breakdown resulting from bad mods. The codex mentioned that this corruption is lethal and dangerous. I don't know about you, but I find the prospect of my life being cut in half and my body dramatically to create cancer like conditions to be incredibly unsexy.

Reactions: criticAlls

TFMaster

My second issue with taint is how it is framed in story. It is framed a genetic corruption and breakdown resulting from bad mods. The codex mentioned that this corruption is lethal and dangerous. I don't know about you, but I find the prospect of my life being cut in half and my body dramatically to create cancer like conditions to be incredibly unsexy.

I might have to read through it again but I could’ve sworn that the lethality of Taint is pretty much eliminated if the person in question has Microsurgeons such as in the case of Steele Jr.

Reactions: ShySquare

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
Besides, check out the bug report threads. Items like goblinola aren't supposed to give that much taint in the first place.

ShySquare

Sep 3, 2015
I might have to read through it again but I could’ve sworn that the lethality of Taint is pretty much eliminated if the person in question has Microsurgeons such as in the case of Steele Jr.
Yep, the reason dear old dad croaked is because he didn't have the top-of-the-line microsurgeons that he made sure the PC injected themself with in the intro of the game, so dying from taint overdose is pretty much off the table as far as the PC is concerned.
Bad ends because the PC has become a sex obsessed genetic mess, on the other hand...

Plus, isn't it a bit premature to say that taint is poorly implemented? It only affects Libido at the moment, and Chill Pill has been made available as a counter to that (plus it's not like you can't grind or cheat your way into owning a billion credits or anything)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15512

Taint is a good reason against wanton genetic mutation for everyone except the PC.