General questions regarding lore and game mechanics

Miakoda

Nov 4, 2017
Somewhere Somehow
forum.fenoxo.com
So then, allow me to introduce the main idea of this thread. As the title already says, I am once again taking to the good ol' forums to ask a few minor questions. These are, as always, just to make sure I stick to the set lore in Trials in Tainted Space whilst writing my submissions.

1. My first question regards the in-game mechanic of psionics. This has always been a bit of an elusive topic for me, considering I was unable to find any forum threads regarding the topic and the fact that there's no codex entry on it. Thanks to a few in-game sources, the Frost Wyrm Codex Entry for one, I was able to learn that Psionic abilities are similar to psychic and telekinetic abilities, and that they are generally linked to high mental function. However, that's where my knowledge of the topic ends. I would still like to know what exactly determines whether or not an organism is capable of using psionic abilities, and what exactly those abilities include.

2. My second question regards the concept of V.I.'s. A big thanks to @Lkynmbr24 for pointing me in the right direction and answering a few questions I previously had, but further research has left me with another: what is the full extent of V.I. capability? I understand that they are non-sapient intelligences that can be easily mass-produced, however, the Codex Entry does not specify how complex or advanced V.I. can be.

3. This question regards a possible addition to my "Ideas I might work on" list. Throughout my endeavors in TiTS, I have come across sexual preferences and kinks from all kinds. Whether it's pet-play and BDSM or Harem style, and even some I never knew existed, such as the tail genetalia (seriously, what?). There a even a few romantics, such as Fisianna and Embry (and Erra and Azra to some degree). However, one thing I haven't come across yet is a Yandere. Are these unfeeling creatures of unadulterated devotion present in the game, or is this something I can start working on as soon as Laethyr is done?

4. Similar to the third question, this one is simply me asking for whether or not a specific thing is present in TiTS. Specifically, is there an item in game that only affects penile length?

5. My last question regards various terms and abbreviations I have come across on the forums, but have little understanding of. Perhaps this is just my inexperience with the entire universe these forums contain, or perhaps I'm just stupid. The first abbreviation is TF. Though I believe this stands for "Transformer", I'm am not certain of this. The second is "Flag", which I believe is just a label required to access certain scenes, though I have yet to encounter a good example (or maybe I have but didn't notice), so if someone could point some out, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you for your time, and may you fare well.

Zavos

May 7, 2016
So then, allow me to introduce the main idea of this thread. As the title already says, I am once again taking to the good ol' forums to ask a few minor questions. These are, as always, just to make sure I stick to the set lore in Trials in Tainted Space whilst writing my submissions.

1. My first question regards the in-game mechanic of psionics. This has always been a bit of an elusive topic for me, considering I was unable to find any forum threads regarding the topic and the fact that there's no codex entry on it. Thanks to a few in-game sources, the Frost Wyrm Codex Entry for one, I was able to learn that Psionic abilities are similar to psychic and telekinetic abilities, and that they are generally linked to high mental function. However, that's where my knowledge of the topic ends. I would still like to know what exactly determines whether or not an organism is capable of using psionic abilities, and what exactly those abilities include.

2. My second question regards the concept of V.I.'s. A big thanks to @Lkynmbr24 for pointing me in the right direction and answering a few questions I previously had, but further research has left me with another: what is the full extent of V.I. capability? I understand that they are non-sapient intelligences that can be easily mass-produced, however, the Codex Entry does not specify how complex or advanced V.I. can be.

3. This question regards a possible addition to my "Ideas I might work on" list. Throughout my endeavors in TiTS, I have come across sexual preferences and kinks from all kinds. Whether it's pet-play and BDSM or Harem style, and even some I never knew existed, such as the tail genetalia (seriously, what?). There a even a few romantics, such as Fisianna and Embry (and Erra and Azra to some degree). However, one thing I haven't come across yet is a Yandere. Are these unfeeling creatures of unadulterated devotion present in the game, or is this something I can start working on as soon as Laethyr is done?

4. Similar to the third question, this one is simply me asking for whether or not a specific thing is present in TiTS. Specifically, is there an item in game that only affects penile length?

5. My last question regards various terms and abbreviations I have come across on the forums, but have little understanding of. Perhaps this is just my inexperience with the entire universe these forums contain, or perhaps I'm just stupid. The first abbreviation is TF. Though I believe this stands for "Transformer", I'm am not certain of this. The second is "Flag", which I believe is just a label required to access certain scenes, though I have yet to encounter a good example (or maybe I have but didn't notice), so if someone could point some out, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you for your time, and may you fare well.
1) Psionics is planned, but Fenlords havn't decided on any details, and don't want to decide on details until they feel like the time has come to introduce Psionics. It has begun to be introduced as a theme with Uveto, but it won't really be detailed or player obtainable until far later.

2) V.I.s can generally be split into two catagories: (relativily) hard programmed versions that can complete the tasks they are created for with high efficiency, yet generally lack emotional and illogical capabilities, and "grown" versions that use developing brains as a template, and possess greater capacity for emotion and abstract concepts but lower capacity for technical proficiency. The nursedoctors are examples of hard programmed versions, Sandrea's pixie is a grown version, and generally possesses more "humanity". Bess-13 is hard programmed, but is a example of a outlier that can gain greater emotional and illogical capacity after completion.

Of course, i could be mixing up fictional universes. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

3) Yandare isn't blacklisted, but it is unofficially discouraged due to how easy it is to screw up. Its a easy way to burn out a potential writer, and this community likes to retain writers.

4) No, but Throbb is the closest answer. If there was a cheap, reliable dick legnthener, there wouldn't be any market for the dubious, side effect plagued Throbb.

5) TF is transformation, which is amongst other things a fetish in the furry fandom. In the context of this game, it can refer to any item or scene that alters the PC's body. Flags are internal variables, but not all variables are generally referred to as flags. Flags generally are used to measure the overall state of something. Example: relationship with a waifu, 0 could represent never met, 1 could represent friend, 2 could represent sexed, and so on... I've used them before, but my projects are vary simplistic compared to much of what other writers create for this game, UpcastDrake or a senior writer would be best for answering this question in greatest detail.

Last edited:

Lancer

Nov 1, 2016
2) V.I.s can generally be split into two catagories: (relativily) hard programmed versions that can complete the tasks they are created for with high efficiency, yet generally lack emotional and illogical capabilities, and "grown" versions that use developing brains as a template, and possess greater capacity for emotion and abstract concepts but lower capacity for technical proficiency. The nursedoctors are examples of hard programmed versions, Sandrea's pixie is a grown version, and generally possesses more "humanity". Bess-13 is hard programmed, but is a example of a outlier that can gain greater emotional and illogical capacity after completion.

Of course, i could be mixing up fictional universes. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.
I don't know what other fictional universe you mixed up in there, but you did do some mixing.

Your two catagories of VI's are actually VI's and (grown) AI's, and AI's actually possess greater potential for technical prowess. Bess-13 and her counterpart are also actually AI's and are not hard coded. The full lore dump for AI's can be found in the codex entry, here, perhaps slightly misplaced under the "Items" tab, along with the codex entry for Bess and Ben.

As for the original question... it's complicated. The line between VI's and AI-D's is fundamentally thin, as it is only the amount of resources put into their creation that distinguishes the two.

EDIT: Also, the closest thing to something that only effects penis length is the Virection Pill, with only one other function, a small chance to increase fertility

Last edited:

Upcast Drake

May 27, 2017
Southeast USA
Flags are variables that track game state. For instance, when you meet Fisianna we set the FISI_MET flag to 1, before then it is undefined. Then if we ever need to check if you've met Fisi, we just check the value of the FISI_MET flag.

By editing flags using the save editor you can basically change (or break) your game state, such as resetting quests, resetting timers, and occasionally fixing stuff we coders messed up.

Reactions: Zavos

Lancer

Nov 1, 2016
The Virection Pill also increases thickness and has a chance to grow another penis.
Darn, I'd forgotten about the thickness effect, but technically growing another penis can be labeled as a penile length effect :p

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
I don't know what other fictional universe you mixed up in there, but you did do some mixing.

Your two catagories of VI's are actually VI's and (grown) AI's, and AI's actually possess greater potential for technical prowess. Bess-13 and her counterpart are also actually AI's and are not hard coded. The full lore dump for AI's can be found in the codex entry, here, perhaps slightly misplaced under the "Items" tab, along with the codex entry for Bess and Ben.

As for the original question... it's complicated. The line between VI's and AI-D's is fundamentally thin, as it is only the amount of resources put into their creation that distinguishes the two.

EDIT: Also, the closest thing to something that only effects penis length is the Virection Pill, with only one other function, a small chance to increase fertility
Close. Ben/ss is a Coded AI. A VI is basically a preprogrammed computer that cannot make it's own decisions. They must await an input to carry out any function. Some have been given "personalities" (Vi on Myrellion), but even that is just to liven up interactions. Avina from Mass Effect, the hologram recording from I. Robot, etc. Standard "I do not understand the question, please rephrase" type "intelligence".

Miakoda

Nov 4, 2017
Somewhere Somehow
forum.fenoxo.com
Close. Ben/ss is a Coded AI. A VI is basically a preprogrammed computer that cannot make it's own decisions. They must await an input to carry out any function. Some have been given "personalities" (Vi on Myrellion), but even that is just to liven up interactions. Avina from Mass Effect, the hologram recording from I. Robot, etc. Standard "I do not understand the question, please rephrase" type "intelligence".
So even though they appear to act as sentient beings, they're just A.I. with a bit of flair? As for V.I., suppose they had a metric fucktonne of stimuli and responses coded into their brain, but no procedure for generally making new algorithms based on experiences, would that still qualify them as a V.I.? I understand that A.I. do have such algorithms and are as such considered sapient

4) No, but Throbb is the closest answer. If there was a cheap, reliable dick legnthener, there wouldn't be any market for the dubious, side effect plagued Throbb.
I don't think I've ever encountered the Throbb item before, but I can certainly see your point.

Also, the closest thing to something that only effects penis length is the Virection Pill, with only one other function, a small chance to increase fertility
I had encountered the Direction Pill before, but, as was already mentioned, it didn't give the exact wanted result. Still, you'd think that in the far off future they'd have found a reliable way to increase one's penis length, given how many supposed products there already are today.

3) Yandare isn't blacklisted, but it is unofficially discouraged due to how easy it is to screw up. Its a easy way to burn out a potential writer, and this community likes to retain writers.
They are really complicated, I'll admit. I still think it'd be cool if someone pulled it off though. Who knows, might attempt something if I have time.

1) Psionics is planned, but Fenlords havn't decided on any details, and don't want to decide on details until they feel like the time has come to introduce Psionics. It has begun to be introduced as a theme with Uveto, but it won't really be detailed or player obtainable until far later.
Oh that's just lovely... On one hand, this gives me a bit more freedom to hide Laethyr's abilities under the ruse of him being psionic, but on the other hand, I now tread into undiscovered territory. Who knows what dangers may lie ahead.

Last edited:

Miakoda

Nov 4, 2017
Somewhere Somehow
forum.fenoxo.com
One more question came up: how many characters in TiTS are confirmed Fanfir? I know that there's one on Myrellion, but are there any others? Does Aurora on Tarkus qualify as one? Same with Vulkrimi. I know there's Semith, but are there any others?

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
One more question came up: how many characters in TiTS are confirmed Fanfir? I know that there's one on Myrellion, but are there any others? Does Aurora on Tarkus qualify as one? Same with Vulkrimi. I know there's Semith, but are there any others?
Aurora is some unknown bat species, not a Fanfir, who's anatomy is much different. Fanfir are wyvern-like aliens, Aurora is a bat-girl of some kind.
And as for Vulkrimi, there's no other characters that exist for them outside Semith unless one writes them, which I doubt would happen soon given they don't appeal to many.

Miakoda

Nov 4, 2017
Somewhere Somehow
forum.fenoxo.com
I don't understand the question. Please rephrase. :catte:
According to the A.I. Codex entry, Grown A.I. take a lot of time and resources to produce and maintain, but have the benefits of a regular A.I. and emotional capacity. However, given that Ben and Bess are part of a line of company-produced "pleasers", I doubt that they're grown A.I.. Despite this, they still seem to be able to give emotional responses. Is this just flair; do Ben and Bess really feel some form of joy when serving my Steele's, or are they emotionless husks?

Aurora is some unknown bat species, not a Fanfir, who's anatomy is much different. Fanfir are wyvern-like aliens, Aurora is a bat-girl of some kind.
And as for Vulkrimi, there's no other characters that exist for them outside Semith unless one writes them, which I doubt would happen soon given they don't appeal to many.
So other than the shopkeep on Myrellion, there are no other Fanfir NPC's?
Also, I forgot that Vulkrimi don't have natural women anymore...

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
Grown and Coded AI are still AI, no matter if they have emotions or not. Ben/ss are also from a line of failed protoypes. But who's to say they don't feel emotions? How is it you're not just an emotionless husk of flesh meat simulating love and empathy? After all, the brain is just a flesh computer.

Miakoda

Nov 4, 2017
Somewhere Somehow
forum.fenoxo.com
Grown and Coded AI are still AI, no matter if they have emotions or not. Ben/ss are also from a line of failed protoypes. But who's to say they don't feel emotions? How is it you're not just an emotionless husk of flesh meat simulating love and empathy? After all, the brain is just a flesh computer.
Dude, I came here to ask some questions regarding the lore of a fluff game, not to have an existential debate about the true meaning of emotions and what defines them :p

Miakoda

Nov 4, 2017
Somewhere Somehow
forum.fenoxo.com
Actually, another question came up, if anyone's willing to take the time.

I may just have missed the detail that reveals the answer, but what happens to Steele's Mother?

Zavos

May 7, 2016

I may just have missed the detail that reveals the answer, but what happens to Steele's Mother?
Like everything else about Steele's mother, this is left intentionally ambiguous. Creating any details about Steele's mother would restrict and otherwise increase the workload of future additional starting races.

Lkynmbr24

Creator
Oct 30, 2016

:iiam:

Evil

Jul 18, 2017

She's living on a very nice farm upstate.

Victor bought her a farm before he died, gave her loads of animals, plenty of staff. Beautiful place to visit.

I hear the cheese from the farm is especially nice this year.

sumgai

Jul 17, 2017
She's living on a very nice farm upstate.

Victor bought her a farm before he died, gave her loads of animals, plenty of staff. Beautiful place to visit.

I hear the cheese from the farm is especially nice this year.

We're not children here mang.

This is strictly a guess, but I'd say she's busy with work or mourning Victor. It's a bit ambiguous as to how close they were. Maybe on Mother's Day some writer will whip up a e-mail from mom.

Miakoda

Nov 4, 2017
Somewhere Somehow
forum.fenoxo.com

This is strictly a guess, but I'd say she's busy with work or mourning Victor. It's a bit ambiguous as to how close they were. Maybe on Mother's Day some writer will whip up a e-mail from mom.
To be honest, even though it's a small addition, that'd make the game that much better. I'd just like a small sign that our mother dearest is still alive and doing well.

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015

It's heavily implied that there wasn't love involved in the relationship. Steelemom was basically just a surrogate in the relationship.

Reactions: Nnxx and ShySquare

Zavos

May 7, 2016
I don't believe that there is any guarantee even that momma Steele carried Steele jr. For all we know, momma Steele donated eggs and Bridgit (or Celise!) did the child bearing.

Miakoda

Nov 4, 2017
Somewhere Somehow
forum.fenoxo.com
I don't believe that there is any guarantee even that momma Steele carried Steele jr. For all we know, momma Steele donated eggs and Bridgit (or Celise!) did the child bearing.
There was a section in which they said, and I quote, "the sex is amazing, and with the use of special Tamani-brand fertility agents, pregnancy is assured".

It's heavily implied that there wasn't love involved in the relationship. Steelemom was basically just a surrogate in the relationship.
Further, that same section also mentions this: "Only wanting the best for their future child, the two lovebirds head to Victor’s private clinic, eager to make sure only the best genes take hold in his future heir."
Of course, the term Lovebirds may be used extremely loosely, but it's still something.

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
And there's the picture of Vic, Jr, and Mom after childbirth which I believe mentions that everyone looks really happy.

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
Maybe Steelemom figured she would just be a burden on us once the whole inheritance thing kicked in and left willingly. Or maybe she know that Victor would be physically unable to resist the urge to screw anything with a pulse, and plus with the whole physical degradation thing figured it would be pointless to try and make it work.

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
Maybe nobody wanted to write the umpteen different races she could have been. Maybe nobody wanted to hear the inevitable clamor of players wanting to fuck her.

Miakoda

Nov 4, 2017
Somewhere Somehow
forum.fenoxo.com
Maybe nobody wanted to write the umpteen different races she could have been. Maybe nobody wanted to hear the inevitable clamor of players wanting to fuck her.
The first one I can understand. The second one...eww...

budha

Dec 6, 2015
There's a example in rl. Who/where is the mother of Micheal Jackson's baby's before and now after his death. Except a short time around the time of the birth's and/or his death, I do not remember much was ever said/talked or known about her.

Miakoda

Nov 4, 2017
Somewhere Somehow
forum.fenoxo.com
Ok, so I may have read about this once, but I'm not sure, but is there something along the lines of a "Niceness" meter in the game? Something that can change whether the PC is Kind, Misch. or Hard depending on the choices you make?

ShySquare

Sep 3, 2015
Ok, so I may have read about this once, but I'm not sure, but is there something along the lines of a "Niceness" meter in the game? Something that can change whether the PC is Kind, Misch. or Hard depending on the choices you make?
Yes, its the personnality score. It's on a scale from 0 to 100. The closer you are to 0, the nicer you are; the closer you are to 100, the meaner you are. If you are kind of in the middle, you're mischevious.

The Treatment can also affect the PC's dialogue with Brute Speech or Bimbo Speech, depending on your gender when you took it.