Spam blocker for inbox in TiTS

A79

May 18, 2017
Carl's backyard
Does anyone else kinda get tired of deleting spam emails in TiTS? Occasionally I get the same email 4 or 5 times in a row in a period of 5 minutes or less. Would a spam blocker feature be a feasible addition in game?

Reactions: Mooing_Mermaid

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
Don't delete them then. If they're in your inbox, they won't pop up again. Removing them will have them only pop up later.

Coalsack

Aug 28, 2015
The Xeno Princess scam message only motivates me more to support Xenogen against those rebelious Naleen.

A79

May 18, 2017
Carl's backyard
At the risk of sounding like Colenso, I think that hippie is trying to pull some sort of false flag on Xenogen with the Naleen thing. lol

Coalsack

Aug 28, 2015
They're only useful if you want to become female/feminize yourself. The re-sell price doesn't makes up for the original price, and still, I have to demand equality, we should have a similar coupon for Virection, or whatever masculine-enhancing body-mod.

Galgano

Aug 28, 2015
I just want to send all my credits to my Xeno princess waifu. She desperately needs my help. If I send her enough, maybe she'll come live with me.

Actually wouldn't that just be the funniest thing? Fenco secretly adds in the ability to fund it and you actually do get to meet the princess in game if you donated to her. Most people would think it was a scam and not actually fund it (unless they knew from the wiki or something)

A79

May 18, 2017
Carl's backyard
They're only useful if you want to become female/feminize yourself. The re-sell price doesn't makes up for the original price, and still, I have to demand equality, we should have a similar coupon for Virection, or whatever masculine-enhancing body-mod.

A wider range of spam emails and even coupons would be cool. Maybe I ought to think about trying to write up a few new ones.

I just want to send all my credits to my Xeno princess waifu. She desperately needs my help. If I send her enough, maybe she'll come live with me.

Actually wouldn't that just be the funniest thing? Fenco secretly adds in the ability to fund it and you actually do get to meet the princess in game if you donated to her. Most people would think it was a scam and not actually fund it (unless they knew from the wiki or something)

This falls under Barnum's Law, imo. :)

KWJ

Jan 21, 2017
Spams give me really some cracks on my face :) It would be annoying in real life, but peeking into the lowest parts of some other fictional world is always interesting!

A79

May 18, 2017
Carl's backyard
Spams give me really some cracks on my face :) It would be annoying in real life, but peeking into the lowest parts of some other fictional world is always interesting!
Agreed. Little things like that add immeasureably to a game.

NotYouNorI

Aug 26, 2015
The Xeno Princess scam message only motivates me more to support Xenogen against those rebelious Naleen.

The naleen don't even have monarchies.... :V

Galgano

Aug 28, 2015
Was the Xeno Princess specifically a Naleen Princess? Or was it vague enough that it could be any race?

A79

May 18, 2017
Carl's backyard
The hippie that sends the email says "Naleen Princess" overtly. Pretty sure it's some sort of scam attempt. lol

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
Having a spam filter you can turn on might be nice. It's fine for the first few characters but sometimes you dont want pinged with it all the time. Assuming I remember on Monday, I'll look into it.
The game checks a flag, flags["CODEX_SPAM_BLOCKER"], that should be turned on to block incoming spam mails. It was just pending a lore-friendly tie in to make it a thing.

Reactions: A79

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Hmm lore-friendly tie in mean way to get this flag set on 1 that would make new spam emails blocked? Using intranet (or how its called ingame intergalaxic internet network) to find and dl/get spam blocker sounds as most natural way.

A79

May 18, 2017
Carl's backyard
The game checks a flag, flags["CODEX_SPAM_BLOCKER"], that should be turned on to block incoming spam mails. It was just pending a lore-friendly tie in to make it a thing.

The most lore friendly solution I can think of off the top of my head is to simply add it as part of an operating system update. Since the codex is either a tablet or netbook, background updates like that would make sense. iOS issues at least 3 of them every year.

adev

Apr 27, 2017
(Sorry for dumping the following ideas here as is - but I'm not a writer so someone would have to pick up the pieces and run with it anyway)

Two things always bothered me about the mail system - that you get mail before you set up the mail address (although the address change bit is explained) and that the two introductory mails get sorted after normal mails if you do not set up mail directly at start.

Maybe fixing this could be combined with the lack of/quest for an effective spam filter

When first opening the email you get an update notice for the spam filter component - that crashes of course.
Welcome to the Steele Industries® CODEX™ Extranet Messenger Extension.
This product contains SpamBan™ filter technology.
update detected ... retrieving update ... installing update ...
Welcome to the latest release of SpamBan™ - Your friendly guide to a safe and trouble free Messenger experience\0##*&%& {simulated crash making a joke out of the marketing line}

You reset the mail system that detects the crash and reverts to the previous SpamBan™ version (updates disabled) and prompts you for your email address and a [fingerprint] button press.

An new spam filter (working title SpamCan™ - that actually works) could of course come from a spam email (lets see who dares to activate it ;) )

There could even be an additional spoof one (working title SpamBlam™) that does filters all/some/no (depending on how obvious that malware should be) spam but adds lewd ads to codex entries instead. (possible trigger for optional follower quest - track down and punish a follower-ex who leaked nude follower images/busts to a revenge site)

The email date issue could be fixed by providing a fake timestamp instead of the current time

ie replace
MailManager.unlockEntry("welcomeMailConfirmed", GetGameTimestamp());
MailManager.unlockEntry("messageFromDad", GetGameTimestamp());
with something like
MailManager.unlockEntry("welcomeMailConfirmed", 0);
MailManager.unlockEntry("messageFromDad", 0);

To fix all self referencing email addresses we could use a special @email@ tag that gets replaced when text is displayed in the content pane/email list (NB OOGABOOGA mail)

Arhon

Jun 22, 2016
The most lore friendly solution I can think of off the top of my head is to simply add it as part of an operating system update. Since the codex is either a tablet or netbook, background updates like that would make sense. iOS issues at least 3 of them every year.
That's a very good idea.

But does the Codex have a version number? or maybe it just has the ability to access all kinds of information on the get-go?

They could also tie it in with the ship changes.