Spam blocker for inbox in TiTS

Discussion in 'Trials in Tainted Space' started by A79, May 18, 2017.

1. A79

A79 Well-Known Member

Does anyone else kinda get tired of deleting spam emails in TiTS? Occasionally I get the same email 4 or 5 times in a row in a period of 5 minutes or less. Would a spam blocker feature be a feasible addition in game?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Mooing_Mermaid likes this.
  2. Twilight Dragon

Twilight Dragon New Member

I stopped deleting them when I realized having a copy in your inbox stops you from getting sent a duplicate spam email.

alkeiser likes this.
  3. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

Don't delete them then. If they're in your inbox, they won't pop up again. Removing them will have them only pop up later.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Endwar

Endwar Well-Known Member

Awww I got beat to the punch on giving the answer to that

5. RanmaChan

RanmaChan Well-Known Member

I had no idea this was I thing, I just read them once and left it in my inbox, so I didn't know you could keep getting them, lol

Fireblade likes this.
  6. A79

A79 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, they keep coming. I wanna stick a platinum brick in a sock and beat Gerard Sterling senseless with it. lol

7. Coalsack

Coalsack Well-Known Member

The Xeno Princess scam message only motivates me more to support Xenogen against those rebelious Naleen.

8. A79

A79 Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding like Colenso, I think that hippie is trying to pull some sort of false flag on Xenogen with the Naleen thing. lol

9. General Drayfox

General Drayfox Well-Known Member

At least you get cheaper EstroBloom on occasion.

10. A79

A79 Well-Known Member

Ironically, I don't think I've ever used those coupons.

11. Coalsack

Coalsack Well-Known Member

They're only useful if you want to become female/feminize yourself. The re-sell price doesn't makes up for the original price, and still, I have to demand equality, we should have a similar coupon for Virection, or whatever masculine-enhancing body-mod.

12. Galgano

Galgano Well-Known Member

I just want to send all my credits to my Xeno princess waifu. She desperately needs my help. If I send her enough, maybe she'll come live with me.

Actually wouldn't that just be the funniest thing? Fenco secretly adds in the ability to fund it and you actually do get to meet the princess in game if you donated to her. Most people would think it was a scam and not actually fund it (unless they knew from the wiki or something)

13. A79

A79 Well-Known Member

A wider range of spam emails and even coupons would be cool. Maybe I ought to think about trying to write up a few new ones.

This falls under Barnum's Law, imo. :)

14. KWJ

KWJ Member

Spams give me really some cracks on my face :) It would be annoying in real life, but peeking into the lowest parts of some other fictional world is always interesting!

15. A79

A79 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Little things like that add immeasureably to a game.

16. NotYouNorI

NotYouNorI Well-Known Member

The naleen don't even have monarchies.... :V

17. A79

A79 Well-Known Member

I'm fairly certain the Xeno Princess email is a riff on the infamous "Nigerian Prince" email scam.

18. Galgano

Galgano Well-Known Member

Was the Xeno Princess specifically a Naleen Princess? Or was it vague enough that it could be any race?

19. A79

A79 Well-Known Member

The hippie that sends the email says "Naleen Princess" overtly. Pretty sure it's some sort of scam attempt. lol

20. NotYouNorI

I am aware of that.

#20 NotYouNorI, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
  21. A79

A79 Well-Known Member

Your response is unmutual. Report to room 101.

22. NotYouNorI

Nu~

23. A79

A79 Well-Known Member

Message repeats: Report to room 101 for Social Processing.

24. Fenoxo

Fenoxo Corrupter of Tainted Space
    Staff Member

Having a spam filter you can turn on might be nice. It's fine for the first few characters but sometimes you dont want pinged with it all the time. Assuming I remember on Monday, I'll look into it.

Malbutorius, Mooing_Mermaid and A79 like this.
  25. Jacques00

Jacques00 Well-Known Member

The game checks a flag, flags["CODEX_SPAM_BLOCKER"], that should be turned on to block incoming spam mails. It was just pending a lore-friendly tie in to make it a thing.

A79 likes this.
  26. Ormael

Ormael Well-Known Member

Hmm lore-friendly tie in mean way to get this flag set on 1 that would make new spam emails blocked? Using intranet (or how its called ingame intergalaxic internet network) to find and dl/get spam blocker sounds as most natural way.

27. A79

A79 Well-Known Member

The most lore friendly solution I can think of off the top of my head is to simply add it as part of an operating system update. Since the codex is either a tablet or netbook, background updates like that would make sense. iOS issues at least 3 of them every year.

28. adev

adev Member

(Sorry for dumping the following ideas here as is - but I'm not a writer so someone would have to pick up the pieces and run with it anyway)

Two things always bothered me about the mail system - that you get mail before you set up the mail address (although the address change bit is explained) and that the two introductory mails get sorted after normal mails if you do not set up mail directly at start.

Maybe fixing this could be combined with the lack of/quest for an effective spam filter

When first opening the email you get an update notice for the spam filter component - that crashes of course.
    Welcome to the Steele Industries® CODEX™ Extranet Messenger Extension.
    This product contains SpamBan™ filter technology.
    update detected ... retrieving update ... installing update ...
    Welcome to the latest release of SpamBan™ - Your friendly guide to a safe and trouble free Messenger experience\0##*&%& {simulated crash making a joke out of the marketing line}

You reset the mail system that detects the crash and reverts to the previous SpamBan™ version (updates disabled) and prompts you for your email address and a [fingerprint] button press.

An new spam filter (working title SpamCan™ - that actually works) could of course come from a spam email (lets see who dares to activate it ;) )

There could even be an additional spoof one (working title SpamBlam™) that does filters all/some/no (depending on how obvious that malware should be) spam but adds lewd ads to codex entries instead. (possible trigger for optional follower quest - track down and punish a follower-ex who leaked nude follower images/busts to a revenge site)

The email date issue could be fixed by providing a fake timestamp instead of the current time

ie replace
    MailManager.unlockEntry("welcomeMailConfirmed", GetGameTimestamp());
    MailManager.unlockEntry("messageFromDad", GetGameTimestamp());
    with something like
    MailManager.unlockEntry("welcomeMailConfirmed", 0);
    MailManager.unlockEntry("messageFromDad", 0);

To fix all self referencing email addresses we could use a special @email@ tag that gets replaced when text is displayed in the content pane/email list (NB OOGABOOGA mail)

29. Arhon

Arhon Well-Known Member

That's a very good idea.

But does the Codex have a version number? or maybe it just has the ability to access all kinds of information on the get-go?

They could also tie it in with the ship changes.