Conquest of Shadows (For DaBomb)

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
"If they're destined to come, then we must prepare." The sorceress says abruptly, after many silent moments of thought. "Veronica's camp holds our entire military at the moment and we need to capitalize on that.  If I remember correctly, he needed the forests near the camp to be cleansed of tentacle vine creatures. With that done, we need to equip them with proper gear.  It's a lot easier to improve our current forces, then it is to make new ones.

Kari, if we get a sample of the beasts, could you make a poison that would wipe them out?  It's either that or doing the painful task of hunting them all down, which would take up a lot of precious time."  Ash shrugs. "I mean, it's a start, right?"

Last edited by a moderator:

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Kari's face scrunches up for a bit as she assumes her now-familiar thinking face. The mother of your children steals Cart's napkin and begins scribbling.

"Some sort of herbicide, supercharged to keep cockvines and the like in check..." The alchemist's eyes gleam with the prospect of a new challenge. "It shouldn't be a problem. I've got a few ideas, it's just a matter of dosage. And yes, a sample of one of the monsters would help tremendously... Now that I think of it, I should get those carpenters to add a greenhouse to the mansion..."

"As for equipment," Cart says, interrupting the catmorph's musing. "We either commission someone to make it, or steal it. I'm sure I don't have to tell you which method is faster... Or cheaper."

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
"Well, that's a solution to that problem.  I'm sure Veronica will be happy to have the forest path clear for supply routes. I believe she also said the locals would be grateful to the change. Couldn't hurt to have more support." She pauses, smirking at the greenhouse comment. "I think a room suited specifically for alchemy should be situated first, Kari.  While the dining room may be suitable now, I think it'd be wise to clear out a place so we can eat..." It was an honest suggestion, though there was a bit of gibe in her voice. 

"I think equipment should be managed with the general. I don't want to make any orders or thefts before I know exactly what she needs. Besides, she may have sources that could make the gain of goods that much easier..." 

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Cart shrugs.

"Whatever you say boss. But if you decide you need solid iron "acquired" on the side, I know some guys."

Kari glares at the wolfmorph as he buries his muzzle in his tankard of ale.

"These wouldn't happen to be that pack of thugs you ran with last season? Cart, I thought we agreed those guys were bad news."

"You said that, not me. Besides, you weren't complaining when rare ingredients needed getting."

Kari lets out an exasperated sigh before turning to you.

"If you're headed to the forest, we'll need someone to keep an eye on Garus and his lackeys. They might get bolder with the Lady Mayor out  on business... I'd volunteer but seeing as I'm just about ready to pop, we'll have to delegate... I'm thinking of asking Jerrin. Unlike Rizzi, he sucks at housework and spends all day moping in his room. Getting his pale ass out in the sunlight might do him some good."

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
"Jerrin will do.  Just specify that it's purely surveillance. I don't want any blood spilled here, it would make the town panic, which would be the last thing we'd need..." She turns to Cart, nodding. "I'm ready to depart when you are.  And we'll see about those dealers of yours, as long as they don't screw us in the long run."

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
You return to the mansion and make ready for your journey. Issac expresses a desire to see his Salamander lover, so your party becomes a group of three. It won't take more than a half a day to reach Veronica's encampment, so preparations are fairly minor. Cart hefts his pack (mostly filled with food for the massive wolfmorph), and bid the household farewell.

"Bring back some cute boys from the forest!" Helga yells after you as you depart.

"Or girls!" Bertha interjects. "We're not picky!"

As you travel through the countryside, Cart bring up the rear, leaving you to walk alongside Issac. The mage walks hapily with his arms swinging merrily. He's clearly pleased at the prospect of reuniting with his significant other. You pass the time idly discussing his research. Translation of the demonic tomes has been slow, but apparently a breakthrough might not be far off.

"-So you see, cross references draconic glyphs was a total dead end. But High Sylvan accounts of the demon wars are fairly complete! With the new scrolls you got me, I'm confident we'll be making real headway soon. And with the laboratory security in place for our first summoning, we might-"

"Boss," Cart interjects pointing a large claw over your shoulder.

It doesn't take you long to see what has caught his attention. Further down the road, you see a carriage approaching at a breakneck pace, kicking up a large dust cloud behind it. Behind the vehicle, you can make out a shadowy, writhing mass slithering in pursuit. This must be one of the tentacle beasts Veronica had mentioned!

At first it seems like the carriage might make its escape, but a sharp turn suddenly upends it, sending the driver careening into the ditch. 

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash nods frequently at the Wizard's words, interjecting with her own whenever she thought it was a relevant subject. "Draconic Glyphs?  Jeeze, that's a troublesome language.  From what I understand, very few people outside of any bloodlines speak it. Definitely one of the less know languages.  Sylvan? Didn't know the Fey were involved with the war, though it only proves how little people know about it. Oh, by the way, if you come across anything in Abyssal, I can help translate it." 

She would have loved to discuss the topic further, but her attention was broken when Cart pointed out a speeding caravan in the distance.  And the spiraling beast in hot pursuit.  "I didn't think they'd be remotely this aggressive, we have to make sure the people are safe!" She sys to the others, already sprinting down the path to the ditch.  

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
The driver lies motionless, his head bent at an odd angle. From inside the carriage you can hear the muffled groans and tentative movements of those inside.

Further detail becomes impossible to discern as the tentacle beast comes upon you and your party. You stand in the center of a dirt road with the wrecked carriage to the side and the monster directly in front of you. A tentacle with an obscene, bulbous tip lashes towards you, ooze dripping, but before it can make contact, there is a icy crack and the appendage is ensnared in frost.

"These things excrete a powerful aphrodisiac," Issac calls casting aside the piece of quartz used to fuel his spell. "Don't let it touch-"

A feral growl cuts him off and a streak of dark fur dashes past you, colliding with the wriggling amalgam. Cart slashes with his claws and teeth at the tentacles that try to entangle him, and the monster lumbers backwards, giving you some space. The wolfmorph's eyes have assumed their demonic glow, his berserk rage giving some protection from the lustful biochemicals seeping into his hide. Hopefully, he would hold out long enough for you take action... You don't wan't to consider what might happen if a lust-mad Cart was unleashed upon the countryside.

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
As she ran up, she could only notice the driver's lack of movement.  She didn't want to assume the worst, but she had a gut feeling that he was dead.  She had little time to observe further, as the tentacle creature quickly made itself known, its tentacles lashing out toward her.  With Issac quickly pushing the creature back and Cart attacking the beast, she had ample time to come up with her own attack.

Frost began to fall from her hands as she began to form a chunk of ice from her fingertips, quickly amassing it into a long spear of cold. "Cart, Duck!" She yells out, vaulting her arm forward, the spear aimed at the creature's core. 

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
(Intelligence roll: 14)

Cart seems to have retained enough presence of mind to obey your command. The berzerking wolfmorph lurches out of the path of your projectile and the icy spear screams past, imbedding itself deep into the tentacle monster. The creature lets out an unearthly screech and snaps several whip-like limbs towards you.

(Speed roll: 8)

Its tentacles entwine themselves around your legs, quickly crawling up your body in a slimy trail, going over and under your silken robes. The sensation isn't cold- quite the contrary, it feels almost hot. You remember Issac's words and realize that some lustful chemical must be seeping into your skin. Oh no...

(Mental Health: [X][ ][ ][ ][ ])

"Ash just hold on! I'm going to- Cart no!"

Cart becomes more enraged as the sight of you being molested by the creature. Issac's pleas are ignored as your loyal enforcer hurls himself at the tentacle monster, rending and biting at its flesh. But with every attack his movements become more sluggish and eyes glassy.

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
(I'm assuming with Cart attacking the creature, I am no longer wrapped with its tendrils?)

Ash shivered as the slimy tendrils left her, a feeling of heat still remaining from the chemical's effects. She knew Cart wouldn't last long to such a mental beat down, she'd have to end this quickly.  Her eyes flicked to the frost still embedded in the creatures core, her hand shooting out to focus on it.  She'd send out a beam of ice toward the spear, intent on expanding it into a spiny ball of cold while within the beast body. If things went to plan, it would get a bit... messy. (Using a special point for this one)

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
(Nope, still entangled. You'll have to make a strength roll to try and escape, or get creative with your magic... Of course killing it quickly is an option too and plays better to your strengths ;) )

(Intelligence roll: 18)

The spear-like shard of ice thrums like the surface of a frozen lake as your magic pours into it, willing it to expand. Lances of ice, glacial blue, thrust out and into the creature, impaling numerous tentacles as well as grievously wounding the beast's main body, if it could be called such. There is a bit of resistance as the monster struggles against the magical force of your spell. Your clench your hands and your tattoos flare arcane power.

*Splat*

The tentacle monster explodes into an array of green sludge and wriggling tentacles. The arms that were holding you fast go limp, leaving you wet and slimy. You and your party are utterly covered in the creatures innards, giving you another dose of whatever chemical agent was being excreted by its skin.

(Mental Health: [X][X][ ][ ][ ])

"Gods..."

Issac stumbles to one knee, clearly dizzy. Cart isn't looking any better. The wolphmorph's eyes are unfocused and gleam with corrupt magics.

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
With the creature's bodily fluids splashing out, covering the group head to toe, Asheroth could only try her best not to gag.  Even as mentally steeled as the Demoness was, being soaked in blood and organs was not something one could take very lightly. Her body involuntarily shivered as the good began to soak into her skin, her mind starting to cloud from the lustful chemicals.

She flicks her hands toward the ground, trying to rid herself of some of the goop, her attention turning to her allies.  Issac seemed fine for the moment, a bit dazed but didn't seem to be in a terribly bad condition.  Cart on the other hand, seemed to be in bad shape.  His eyes were glazed, no doubt hit hard with  all the aphrodisiac in his systems.  "Hey, big guy... Are you okay?" She calls out to him, her hand already beginning to faintly glow.  She quietly muttered out a phrase, getting a sleep spell ready if anything bad was to occur. 

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
(Insight roll: 11)

Cart kneels panting, looking at you unfocused. Unlike the time when he lost control in Elendel, he seems more fatigued than anything. Horny as your demon-tainted companion is, you could probably get him to Veronica's encampment without putting him under. Besides carrying him would be completely-

The moment your eyes stray back to Issac or elsewhere, Cart moves towards you, prowling effortlessly with a shadowy efficiency that barely leaves you time to raise your hand for the sleep spell.

Before you can can sling your hex, the beastman has your wrist captured. Not painfully so, merely restraining. The red glow of the wolfman's eyes leaves you know doubt that your friend isn't in control of his own actions. You feel his hot, heavy breath against your neck. His tongue slips across your cheek.

Just as you are preparing your next course of action, a familiar sensation crawls over your skin and a deep voice rumbles within your mind.

This is what happens when you don't take of your pets, Asheroth. I must say, I thought you were more responsible than this...

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Asheroth is more than surprised once she fines the muddled wolf gripping her wrist, his body pressed up against her own. With her one hand restrained, she moves the other forward placing it on his chest, or any other part she could find.  She casts bind on the wolfish creature, preferring not to hurt the confused friend. 

(Sorry for the short post. Also using a special point for this.)

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Point blank, there's nothing Cart can do to avoid the restrictive spell. With a flash of red light, lengths of glowing, ethereal chains crack into existence and ensnare your companion, binding up his left leg and causing him to stumble. The haphazard movement allows you slip free.

Cart's fiery eyes lock with yours as you turn to face him and his mouth curls into an unfamiliar grin.

"Ash, Ash, Asheroth... Don't you want to play with your puppy?"

The words might be coming out of the wolfmorph's mouth, but there's no mistaking the speech of your demon lord father.

"A-sh! Don't talk to it! It's a demo-"

Issac jaw snaps shut when the possessed Cart casts a contemptuous look his way.

"Shut up sport. Daddy's having a heart to heart with his favorite girl."

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Asheroth frowns at the wolf morph, a cold stare matching his own. "Father, must you stoop so low as to posses my allies?  Now is there something you wanted, or is pestering my progress something you crave?" The infernal words leave her mouth, full of fiery spite.  Her hands glowed red as she readied another entanglement spell, uttering words of celestial might, infusing the effects of her arcane chains with a demon banishment spell.  "If you've come here to talk, then out with it.  But if you've come as an aggressor, do tell, so I may end this quickly."

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
"Oh Ashe, is that any way to speak to your father? Sure you can make me go, but what if something happened to your poor friend along the way? I have a bad habit of breaking my toys..."

The demon lets out a laugh like he had just cracked a hilarious joke.

"Besides, I was just dropping in to check on you. You don't write or scry, and your dreams have been closed off to me lately. You can't blame your father for getting lonely... It can get so dreadfully boring here in the underworld with only your bimbo half-sisters to keep me company. I find myself craving more... Elevated company."

"Speaking of which, have you cracked that portal I left you yet? Just think about how much fun it would be to meet me in person. I wouldn't have to go around possessing your little furry friend just to have a quick word with you. Besides, don't you think the kiddos will want to meet their Granddaddy when their born?"

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
The Demoness sighed at her father's words.  While she did lower her hands to her sides, she still didn't lower her guard. A Demon Lord is not the type of person you pt your trust in, no matter what. Hell, even when bound they'll still ind ways to fuck you over, as if creating joy was the worst thing imaginable to them. 

"I wasn't aware that you had lost access to my dreams, I can assure you it wasn't my doing. If you sought after my company to such degrees, then I'll send you letters describing my progress on this world, if it would appease you.

And no, I have yet to enter the portal.  Call me superstitious, but I'd prefer not to have a gaping portal to the underworld in my basement.  Tell you what... I'll think about paying you a visit down the road, if you behave. I doubt you think i'm idiotic enough to go to the demon realm on my lonesome, at least in my current state.  So, for now you can look forward to my letters, and at a later time i'll visit you.  I might even bring kiddies, as well.  Is that fine with you, father?" 

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Cart's mouth widens into unfamiliar smile.

"That is all I ask. I look forward to the day when the door between us swings both ways. Until then, dear Daughter. And remember, family should stick together."

A rush of flames at Cart's feet signal the demon leaving his body and the wolfmorph crumples, breathing heavily.

"A-ash.... No offense... But your dad is- is an asshole."

Your friend seems rattled, but otherwise okay. The carriage passengers on the other hand were another story. The richly dressed merchant has a broken arm and his wife, while physically unharmed, won't stop bawling. When you opened the door to their transport, they cowered a the sight of you, clearly thinking they had been rescued by a tentacle monster, only to be enslaved by a succubus queen.

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash worriedly stares at Cart for a few moments, after the flames had vanished, shaking her head when she was finally content that he was gone. She... had no idea how her father was capable of that.  Was their loopholes between the boundaries of the planes, or... was he truly that powerful? The mere thought frightened her and she had plenty of things that were rising on her priority list.  But... she should finish her job first... she could get those things taken care of when she got back.

Her eyes met with Issac's, her head beginning to nod in response.  "Well, there are very few demon lords that aren't. And ... to be honest, he isn't that bad when compared to others..." The Demoness chuckles at the thought. "Let's talk about it later..." She dismisses, moving to the pressing matter. 

After opening the door, the Sorceress gives the two an analyzing glance, seeing that neither of them had life threatening injuries, nor did they seem to be bleeding out at the moment. "Looks like we got here just in time, huh?  Don't worry the bastard's dead, you won't be harmed." She cheerfully informs, quickly realizing the couple was shivering in fear.  "Oh, you're afraid of me, aren't you?  Well, I can assure you my demonic traits are only skin deep, i'm not here to hurt you."

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
"T-Thank you, Milady," The man stammers, unable to tear his gaze away from you. Your horns, tail, tattoos. There's a lot to take in.

Eventually, the couple becomes coherent enough to explain that they are merchants looking to set up a caravan route to Tencrest. This was to be the first of many trips, although after this encounter, you sincerely doubt the likelihood of their continued business. Apparently not only the locals are being impacted by the tentacle beast problem, regional trade was suffering as well.

"They have to be coming from somewhere- the tentacle monsters, I mean," Issac says after Cart finishes righting the carriage and helping them load the dead driver into the back. The carriage kicks up dust as the rescued merchants head towards Tencrest at a breakneck pace.

"That's easy," Cart rumbles. "The forest. If it creeps or crawls, you can be sure it came from out of there."

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Asheroth turns to the gooey mess she left, picking up one of the tendrils from the ground.  Her eyes don't leave the limb for more than a few moments, eventually storing it away. 

"The forest seems like the most likely source. Gives them decent camouflage and it's perfect for ambushes. Yeah, i'd put money on it." The demoness nods, her gaze shifting to the two. "Let's get on to Veronica's.  I want to fill her in on the details, plus we need to get her orders in.  I wanna know exactly what she needs to outfit those soldiers..."

(Unrelated question, but are the roads we've been traveling on paved, or just dirt?)

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
(Dirt... Unless you remember differently :p )

You gather yourselves and continue onward. Mercifully, you don't encounter another tentacled horror and it isn't long before you turn off the road in the direction of the Forest. Veronica's encampment has remained in the shadow of the Dark Forest. Trails of smoke curl above the spiky palisade wall, likely from campfires lit for the afternoon meal.

Two female guards brace their spears upon your approach but quickly recognize you and let you pass. Things have certainly become more orderly than you last visit. All the tents have been pitched in straight rows and several of the former bandits are busy drilling at the center of camp. Howerver, unlike a typical military base, you see far the male to female ratios is heavily tipped in the ladies' favor- a vestige from your transformative magics.

You find Veronica chewing out several soldiers standing at attention in the middle of the parade ground.

"You call that a shield wall? The Governor's cavalry would trample you into the dust and laugh doing it! Again, and this time brace good and proper. I won't-"

Catching sight of you, the Salamander gives a little smirk and waves over one of her lieutenants.

"Cat, take over for me," She calls over her shoulder while walking towards you. "Well, well, looks like Madam Empress has come to review the troops. What do you think? Not bad for a few weeks work." 

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
The Demoness shrugs. "Well, i'm not too knowledgeable military structure, so forgive the fact that I may not be able to notice many changes. However, I did notice that the troops seem more disciplined, carrying themselves in a much more militaristic manner. Regardless, you work efficiently, Veronika." She nods appreciatively, pausing for a moment, looking across the base.

"But, checking on your progression wasn't my only reason to come here.  I wanted to inform you, that i'm starting the process of removing the tentacle monsters from the area.  You should expect them to be cleared relatively soon.  I recall that was a request of yours, sorry to have delayed it this long.

I also need your input. Tencrest needs a force to enact it's will and i'd like the force to be equipped with sufficient weapons in armor.  I'd like you to construct a list of what you believe would be required to make this happen."

(Back, sorry for another delay.)

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Veronica curls a possessive tail around Issac as you speak. The way they angle towards one another, it's clear they're eager to make up for lost time. Still your commander retains enough professionalism to seriously consider your proposal.

"Well things will certainly get a lot better once we're able to forage freely. Those tentacles have been coming thick and fast lately. I've been having to send large groups out for supplies, which isn't all that efficient. We've been doing our best to exterminate the bastards, but more keep coming. My guess is there's a nest in the northern part of the forest."

"As for supplies, bottom line is weapons and armor," Veronica continues, exhaling a thoughtful puff of smoke. "I've been training the recruits hard, but we've been making do with practice gear and the whatever we managed to salvage from the old camp. If you want an effective fighting force, we'll need everyone armed properly. Shields and spears at a bare minimum."

She rattles off some numbers and Issac hastens to write it all down. Giving the list a quick examination, it becomes abundantly clear that Tencrest's budget can't support recent construction projects as well a equip a small army. As successful as your town's economy has become, it is constrained by a relatively low tax base. That will change once the new immigrants settle, but it will take time. You'll need to get creative if you want Veronica's soldiers armed and ready for conflict... Of course, clearing the roads of horny vine monsters would go a long way to revitalizing local trade networks.

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Asheroth accepted the list, reading the list to confirm what she had heard from her general. Silently muttering to herself, her eyes darted down the list, nodding once she had reached the bottom. "Armor, shield, and spears are the bottom line?  I'll try to have those sent in relatively soon. I'll have better equipment sent down once Tencret's financial situation solidifies, so expect a second package a bit after the first. 

As for the tentacle beasts, i'll see to it as fixed.  Immediately, in fact. I've already collected samples of the beast, and if things go alright, we should have a poison for them in short time. Putting it in their lair will surely reduce their numbers to more reasonable values." The rolls up the list and hands it to Cart. "That concludes my business, do you have anything else you'd like to speak to me about before I depart?"

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Veronica shakes her head. "We're pretty well situated, but you need to watch your back Ash. Far out as we are, I'm not going to be able to lend you my support right away if something happens at Tencrest. Domestic problems aside, you can bet the Governor has heard about the election. He's not going to like the idea of a new player in his backyard. And if he ever finds out you have your own private army... He might decide to act sooner rather than later."

Of course Veronica doesn't know about the spies you have planted in Elendel. With Tera keeping an eye on the courts, you should have advanced warning if the Governor decides to marshal his forces... Still, it never hurt to be prepared.

"Erm, Ash," Issac draws your attention sheepishly. "I know you're eager to continue trials with the portal, but would it be alright if I stayed with Ver for a few days? You can pick me back up when you return with the poison."

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
The woman nods. "I see no reason I wouldn't allow you to stay. You two need some time to catch up, i'll pick you back up when I return, Issac." Asheroth agrees, a small grin nested on her lips. "Well, since you have no further matters, then i'll take my leave. Be back in a few days with the poison, see you then." She gives a small wave before leaving, catching up with Cart, nudging up against him slightly, as they leave the camp.

"Those two are a strange pair, aren't they? Not hard to tell who's the Dominant one in the relationship." She muses, pausing for a moment as if a thought hit her. "Though... you never know.  It humors me to think of the other possibility..."  

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
"Never can judge a book by its cover. Ver might like a guy who can show her who's boss," Cart says with a thoughtful expression. "You'd never know it, but I'm real sensitive when it comes to relationships. Poetic when I want to be. When I was younger, I wrote haikus to some of a my sweethearts. Got me past second base more than once let me tell you."

Your burly enforcer crosses his arms behind his head and looks skyward.

"But yeah, that skinny bookworm gives me the willies sometimes. Sexual dynamics aside, don't you think his interest in demons is a bit strange? Borderline obsessive if you ask me."

A bit odd coming from the wolfmorph with a habit of lust-fueled berserk...