Conquest of Shadows (For DaBomb)

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash smiles as the waitress hugs her, tightly hugging her back.  "No problem, I love helping a damsel in distress." She says with a wink, watching Gwen leave. "I'm serious, don't drink that entire thing in one go!" She calls back, watching her exit in her room.  Feeling all warm and fuzzy inside, from helping her fellow woman, Ash soon remembers that she's all alone.  She gets up from her table and looks around, making sure no one was around to see what she was about to do.  She looks for where all the stout and Ale was held, heading over looking inside.  She'd begin to pour a glass of her milk inside one of the barrels, quickly closing it back up.  If everything went to plan, she'd happily go back to her room.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Either Olec relies on his reputation to keep his booze safe, or the townspeople of Tencrest are unusually trustworthy. Either way, the door to the cellar is unlocked and you meet no resistance accessing a large barrel of ale. You dump in the succubi milk and watch as the corrupt concoction mixes with the more mundane alcohol, pink-tinted bubble rising to the surface. Considering how dilute the stuff was now, a single tankard wouldn't induce physical changes in a person, but if someone gets a little too deep into their cups...

You quietly creep out of the cellar and climb the stairs up to your room. You bed down for the night, snuggling under the covers. It might just be your imagination, but the bedding seems to faintly smell of Kari. You drift off to sleep with the aroma of lilac and burnt gunpowder filling your nostrils.

You awaken with sunlight streaming through the grubby window set into the ceiling. You barely have time to get dressed before a knock at the door draws your attention. It is Gwen.

"Hey Ash, hope I'm not waking you. Morning are pretty slow around here, so Olec won't need you until the sun goes down... So I guess, sleep in if you want. Gods, I should have thought of that before knocking." You hear the audible smack of a hand impacting a forehead. "Well anyway, breakfast is on the stove in the kitchens. Help yourself. I'll be out back washing the linens."

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash wales from her slumber with a prolonged yawn, stretching her arms as she get out of bed. After she had gotten dressed, she had a thought of cleaning her room a bit, but before she could think further, a knock was heard on the door.  Ash listened to the woman speak, quickly informing her that she was already awake when the woman knocked. After that,  she opens the door a little bit after there were no more directions to give, looking outside her room.  She'd go to the kitchen and snack slightly on the breakfast that was prepared, then she'd go out in the back, helping Gwen with washing the linens. 

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Breakfast is a passable fare of honeyed porridge and a few apples. The catmorph cook makes a feeble attempt at small talk as he goes about his business preparing the many loafs of bread that will be consumed by the midday customers. Judging by the relief on his face when you exit out back, he must be greatly unnerved to have a half-succubus occupying his workspace.

You find Gwen seated at a washtub, scrubbing away at a bed sheet. She pauses to greet, delighted at your offer of help. You are quickly put to work shaking out and hanging the clean linens out to dry. There is quite a stack of soiled bedding, but you make steady progress. You work with the warm sun on your back with the chirping of birds ringing upon the air. You observe the sleepy town come to life as townspeople emerge from their dwellings to conduct their business.

Gwen chats amicably with you, jumping from one topic to the next. You learn of her family's farmstead in the far south of the Kingdom and her mothers fumbling, if well-intentioned, efforts to persuade her to come home and marry a local boy. Gwen confides the reason for her rebelliousness. She hopes one day to open an inn of her own.

Surprisingly, the shy Gwen seems to have a good head for numbers and boundless ambition. Unburdened by the cramped atmosphere of the busy tavern, Gwen speaks with confidence about finance and management. She's just about to get into a finer detail of her business plan when a commotion elicits a groan from your new friend.

"Oh gods, not again. Don't they know when to quit?"

Your attention is directed to the town square where several women have erected a crude pulpit from various crates and boxes. They wear the white robes of the Acolytes of the Goddess, the denomination of faith currently favored by the king. Their leader, a blonde who's bust cannot be hidden even amongst the modest folds of her attire, speaks at the passing townspeople with the passion only a true zealot can muster.

"Repent dear children! Abandon the corrupt taint of your false gods and embrace the loving light of the All Mother! Any man may step from the darkness into the radiance of redemption. Your squalled town reeks of lawlessness and debauchery! Repent now, or be denied true salvation in the afterlife!"

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash happily talked to Gwen about the flurry of topics that arose, a smile sprawled out on her face.  She was even able to change to finance as Gwen brought it up, her reasonably high intellect able to easily stay on par with the conversation.  She knew that most waitresses or other low end jobs don't really look forward to working at the place, yet she had no idea that such talent would be found in one tavern!  She was looking forward to hear the rest of the story when she was rudely interrupted by a commotion.  Moving toward whatever was making that noise, she quickly found that it was a group of woman, their leader being quite the curvaceous woman.  She walks toward the leader, a plain look on her face.  "How's the... All Mother?" She asks with an intrigued look.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
One of the speaker's companions lets out a little yelp when she catches sight of you. The other just flat out faints, slumping against the jerry-rigged podium with a dramatic swoon.

The busty leader seems to be of sterner stuff. She hops off her soap box and traces a series of runes invoking the protection of her deity. You don't sense any magic being worked, so the gesture must be for purely ritualized purposes.

"Foul creature of the night, I defy you and your masters! The blessed goddess has chosen me to cleanse these lands of corruption and my mission will not be impeded. The souls of these village are lost in the storm, but I will bring them to safe harbor no matter what!"

She pulls out a flask of what you assume is holy water and tosses it at you. The throw is pitiful and splashes impotently on the dusty road. The priestess blinks in surprise as you remain standing, horns in all. Her companion whispers in an awed tone. "The demon withstood Trissa's holy smite of valor!"

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash's face of curiosity gradually transitioned to a frown the more the leader spoke, eventually crossing her arms over her chest, scowling.  She watches with amusement as she tosses the holy water, her eyes following the bottle as it smashes against the ground.  Her eyes remained to that spot for a few moments, before she looked back up at the leader. "Are you done?" She muses, brushing her hair back.  "All I wanted to know was who you worship, i'm sure your Goddess doesn't support driving away those who want to learn about her cause." She gives a calculating look to the priests.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
The priestess seems quite taken aback by your forthright greeting. Clearly this is someone who's knowledge of the corrupt creatures of the north is limited to bedtime stories and church propaganda. The idea that Trissa had been sent here as a ambassador, much less a missionary, for her faith seems like a poor tactical decision by her superiors. The young priestess might be overwrought with zealous enthusiasm while preaching in the relative safety of Tencrest, but if she ever came across a true minion of darkness... Cannon fodder is the term that comes to mind.

You note that what villagers haven't vacated the town square cast disdainful if not downright hostile glances in Trissa's direction.

Trissa clears her throat to answer your question. "All lost souls should hear of the All Mother's radiance. She is force that binds all with the love and duty of community. Without her, we would be beasts serving only our selfish interest. She guides all her children here in the mortal realm, but only the truly faithful can join her in the afterlife. Some might say the All Mother is simply one god amongst a greater pantheon, but that is blasphemy."

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash managed a smile when the leader didn't throw more holy water at her and instead decided to talk in a civilized manner. "Thank you for the information." She pauses for a moment, noticing the hateful gazes the group was getting, some of them worse than others. "A mere suggestion, m'lady... But I couldn't help but notice that most of the people here see what you're doing as a nuisance.  I for one don't see that as giving a positive image for your goddess, it may even hamper it."  She gestures to the people around her.  "You're trying to save these people from damnation, right?  instead of doing what you're doing now, how about you do something... productive or... charitable instead?  That way you'll shine a better light on what you're offering and the gazes you get from people will be of admiration instead of hatred." 

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
(Charisma roll: 18)

Trissa whirls around with a glare when one of her companions mutters something like "told you so" under her breadth. The rebellious acolyte quickly resumes fanning her fallen friend and Trissa turns back to you.

"Perhaps my methods have been... Less effective than I had hoped. But I am confident that it is only due to the pitiable ignorance of this village. Once their eyes are open to the glory of the All Mother, they will begin to accept my order's presence." She glances aside at a stony-faced villager who seems to be contemplating a less-than-conventional disposal site for their chamber pot. "B-but, I am open to other options. The path to enlightenment is winding and fraught with shadows... I will consider your suggestion."

She offers you a regal hand. "Trissa au Beloncia, daughter of governor Brax Beloncia." Her companion coughs awkwardly behind her. "O-of course having taken the clothe, I have embraced all of humanity as my family so.. You may call me Trissa."

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash gives the woman a warm smile, honestly a bit surprised she had taken her advice. "Thank you for listening to my consideration, i'm sure you will do whatever you believe is the best choice." Ash looks down at her hand, extending her own to shake it.  "Asharoth, Bastard daughter of a succubi and gods know what else." She returns with a smile.  "I hope to see you again, Trissa.  Hopefully, holding higher regards with the people here." Ash pauses for a moment, as if thinking what to say next.  "I recall being told that you have a temple somewhere?  Could you offer better directions to its location?"

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Trissa gives you more specific directions to the temple which is located a few miles directly south of town. You gather that the priestess's headquarters is actually more of a refurbished farmhouse than a proper church, but you are assured that the measure is only temporary. "After all," Trissa asserts. "The people won't want to walk half a day to come to weekly worship. Soon we will have a space that shames even the Capitol's finest chapels."

Whatever her other faults, you can't deny the enthusiasm of the young priestess.

Finally accepting the fact that her preaching isn't swaying any hearts, Trissa and her companions pack up their makeshift stage, no doubt returning to their temple to plan their next move. Trissa is all bluster, pretending that their new course of action was completely her idea. The acolyte that fainted is has since regained her feet, but looks ready to flee whenever you cast the slightest glance in her direction. The other woman is made of sterner stuff and while you wouldn't call her friendly, you can detect a certain grudging respect after having talked down her pushy superior.

After they depart, Gwen strolls to your side, finished with the morning's laundry. "Well glad that's over. I don't know what you said to make them leave, but good riddance. Can't say I ever was that religious, but living this close to the Dark Forest tends to burn the softness out of you. What good is the All Mother's love if she doesn't lift a finger to help those who really need it?"

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Watching as the Priestess packed up and made their departure, Ash remained quiet as she unconsciously stared at Trissa's ass as she left, ideas forming in her head.  If everything went to plan at the tavern, that farmhouse could easily be her next plan of conquest.  Ash licked her lips at the thought, about to turn around and resume helping with the laundry, when Gwen had approached her. After listening to her, Ash laughed at the coincidental thought Gwen had spoke.  "Well, I did just that.  I convinced the group that it would be wiser if they did something positive instead of their constant badgering. Hopefully now she won't be such an annoyance."   After her explanation, Ash would ask if there was any more work she could help with. 

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Gwen's answer is interrupted by a crashing noise from the tavern. The front door swings open and you can see an upended table and shattered glass littering the floor. The subsequent screams and shouting are cut short by a loud bang.

A voice like gravel calls out, "This here's a hold up! Hand over the valuables nice'n easy, an' nobody got to get hurt!"

Gwens eyes widen in fear. "Bandits! Ash, we gotta get some help. Tanith's sill in there!"

Last edited by a moderator:

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash jumped a bit at the sudden noise, quickly darting her head to ward the source of the sound.  It didn't take much or her to realize what was going on, those bandits were going to be a problem after all. "Gwen, I need you to do this fast, alright?  There's a mansion no too far away and a friend is in there.  I need you to tell him to come to the tavern, fast.  Tel him I sent you." Ash quickly gave directions to Gwen, before turning to the Tavern.  After Gwen left, she'd walk up to the doors, trying to get a better image of what was happening. 

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Gwen nods her understanding and takes off down a side street. Even running full tilt, it would still take several minutes for her to fetch help. Those precious moments might be all it takes for whatever standoff was happening in the tavern to turn bad fast.

Your approach is spotted by a bandit lookout. His young face is familiar to you. It is the same individual you scared witless during your travel with Cart to Elendel. He blanches and scurries back inside, no doubt to report your presence to his superior.

With your better vantage point, you are able to see inside the tavern's interior. The order you and Gwen left it in has been completely upended. Broken bottles and glasses litter the floor as if someone swiped something across the entire length of the bar. Three vagabonds including your bandit acquaintance hold the place up with rusty cutlasses and old flintlock pistols. Smoke trails out of the barrel of the leader's firearm, his crinkled face curled into a savage snarl. A bullet hole mars the ceiling above his head.

The source of his discomfort is clear. Behind the bar, Olec is braced with an enormous blunderbuss cradled in his arms, pointed at the would-be robbers. All parties are motionless, unwilling to fire the first shot that will lead to an inevitable bloodbath. You spot the waitress Tanith in a far corner, trembling with back to the intruders, body hunched over two sobbing children. No one appears hurt... Yet.

The bandit leader addresses you, "Alright lass, get your tailed ass in here and sit with the bitch over there. An' don't get any funny ideas about calling for help. First mill-head I see with an ax gets his head blown off by my man on the roof." He whirls in Tanith's direction. "You shut those brats up or I'll do it for you!"

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash enters the tavern with her hands raised in surrender, carefully making her way to Tanith.  If she played her cards right, everything would end up fine, though there would be minuscule room for error.  As she sat down next to Tanith, she cradled next to her, putting her lips next to her ear.  "Tanith, I want you to take the kids and run, when I say to, alright?  Just go and don't look back."  After whispering, she would assist in quieting the kids down, waiting for backup. 

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
"Alright old timer, here's how things are going to go down. Either ya put down that piece an' we get what we came for-" He pulls a second pistol from his belt, leveling its barrel alongside his fellow's. The younger bandit you notice, is quite visibly shaking. "Or things get messy fast. We're spread out, you won't get all of even with that monster. You drop one of us, an' get yourself killed, then we still take the inventory. Seems pretty obvious to me, but it's your decision."

A hellish snarl rumbles from outside, shaking the surrounding glassware and causing dust to fall from the ceiling. A scream splits the air followed by the sickening crunch of bone. The youngest highwayman flinches and fires his pistol reflexively, casting a shot well wide of Olec. The leader throws caution to the winds, firing a shot into Olec's shoulde, spraying a mist of blood against the bar. Olec grunts and falls but not before discharging his own weapon, reducing one of the bandit's chest to a bloody crater. Two enemies remain standing.

A mangled corpse smashes through the front window in a storm of glass- you assume the lookout the leader mentioned previously. Although you recognize Cart's feral roar, the sound still manages to send shivers down your spine. You realize that Tanith has been screaming beside you this entire time, hugging the children to her bosom. Obviously shocked from the ensuing violence, she has completely forgotten your instructions to flee.

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash knew the origin of the snarl when she heard it and she couldn't be more happier for the timing.  Throughout the series of events, Ash begins muttering a multitude of words, all of which seemed demonic in origin. As the corpse flies through the front window, dark flames erupt in between the succubi's fingers, baring her fangs, her eyes glowing especially bright.  She shoots out a fireball straight toward the chest of the bandit leader, quickly conjuring up a second one if it needed to be used. 

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
[Precision roll: 14+1_Damage Roll (Intelligence): 8+6 (Normal wound)]

The bandit leader screams as you unleash your hellfire upon him. His unspent flintlock discharges as it clatters against the ground. The bullet wizzes past you, causing a showing of splinters when it hits the beam above your head. A piece of wooden shrapnel grazes your cheek, drawing blood, but you don't notice.

Magic rolls across your skin with the warm caress of a familiar lover, causing your heartbeat to quicken and eyes to dilate. The fiery orbs that are your eyes appear like portals straight to hell and you practically drink in the fear-stricken expression of your victim as he is erased from this world. A flick of your fingers finishes the deed, reducing the bandit captain to a pile of ash and charred bones.

A wave of fatigue hits you, driving you to your knees. And odd sensation crawls across your skin, as if an invisible hand were tracing into your flesh with an iron-hot stylus.

The door burst open and an irate Cart ducks into the tavern, his crimson gaze sweeping the room. He sees you on the ground and his visage becomes even more rage-filled. His eyes lock on the remaining bandit and he strides over to the quivering youth, hoisting up easily with one hand.

"N-no please I didn't mea-" The young man's feeble pleas are cut off as Cart dispassionately begins to crush his trachea.

"I think we're past giving scum like you second chances, " Your wolfish henchmen hisses through bared fangs.

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash muttered curses under her breath as she fell to her knees from exhaustion.  She breathed heavily as she tried to recover, she wasn't use to this much fatigue from casting spells... then again, she hadn't really done what she did at frequent intervals. She sluggishly gazes up as Cart bursts through, a pained expression on her face from what feels like a brand stroking across her skin Her eyes following his body as he moves toward the bandit. "Cart... Put him down... Olec is over the counter, bleeding..." Ash manages to speak, trying to push herself off the ground onto her legs. 

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Cart gives the young bandit a contemptuous look and for a moment you think he's going to disobey you. One twist of those massive hands would snap the youth's neck like a twig. Luckily Cart seems sufficiently concerned about your and Olec's welfare to indulge you. He carelessly tosses his hostage on a table in a groaning heap before turning to the wounded tavern owner.

"He seems pretty out of it... Looks like the bullet passed through though. No broken bones."

Olec grunts in pain as Cart hoists him up from behind the bar. Clearly not unfamiliar with bullet wounds, the grizzled bar tender calls for bandages and proceeds to clean his injury.

"Damn bastards wanted the whole blasted inventory like it was nothing. This stuff costs me, and I don't make much after all's said and done." He hisses as he pours a generous measure of cheap wine over the bullet hole, then takes a swig of the stuff himself. "Greedy little shits. Don't know how I'm going to get things together after this mess..."

At this point, the worst of your light-headedness has passed and you are able to stand on your own without assistance. Your vision swims when you move too fast, but at least your skin isn't burning with that hellish sensation anymore. Cart pulls up an unbroken chair for you before ducking outside to deal with the growing crowd of spectators gathering Gwen eventually arrives with Kari in tow. The alchemist totes a large doctors bag and insists on looking over Olec and then you.

The tavern itself is pretty much a wreck with broken glass strewn everywhere and about half the furniture broken, not to mention the window Cart threw the bandit through. Olec thanks you for your assistance, but you can tell from the way he surveys the carnage, this event can't be good for business.

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash limps to the chair, sitting down on it with a thump, letting out a large sigh.  "Well, that was certainly series of unforeseen events." She shakes her head slightly, trying to get rid of the dizziness. Honestly, she was glad no one got killed... Or, no one she cared about got killed.  Things could have gotten bad fast but everything managed well and she probably managed to gain some reputation because of it.   The Demon gazed around, her eyes slowly meeting all the destruction that had been caused in this tavern, leading her pinch her nose in stress.  "Olec... I'm sure everyone will help put the Tavern together if you ask.  I think they'd help real fast once they realize that their primary source of booze could be in jeopardy if action wasn't placed." Ash gives the owner a wink, before letting out a sigh.  "And you know what, you might as well put that Bandit kid to work too.  We may as well get something out of him, killing him would just be a waste." She advises, looking for the kid, seeing if her was still on the table he was thrown on.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Olec looks somewhat heartened at your advice. After Kari is done stitching him up, the old bartender wearily pulls himself to his feet and staggers off to the backroom to take stock of the damage there. Gwen having since persuaded Tanith to go home along with the children, watches Olec leave with a contemplative frown on her face. She looks at you for a moment before digging in her pocket for a scrap of paper and begins scribbling notes. She follows after her employer muttering things like "free labor" and "effective monopoly".

Cart has since organized a few townsmen to pull the bodies from the tavern. He doesn't mention the method of their disposal, but you notice a few hard-eyed lumberjacks hauling a load of dry timber towards the edge of town a few hours later. They talk quietly amongst themselves, but it's impossible to mistake their anger over Olec's tavern being assaulted. It seems like people have been sufficiently riled to stop worrying over the bandits' presence and start planning for their extermination.

You notice that many of the villagers act with courtesy, even deference, towards you and your companions. While "subhumans" were tolerated in Tencrest, they never really commanded much respect. Between your and Cart's fighting prowess, and Kari's effective treatment of the injured, your party seems to have built quite a reputation.

No one seems eager to address the remaining bandit. Recovered from Cart's rough disposal of him, he has crept quietly to the corner of the tavern, knees pulled up to his chin. The young man looks utterly shell-shocked, his dark hair plastered to his forehead by the blood of his companions. He flinches away whenever you so much as cast a glance his way.

Kari notices your examination of the prisoner. "I know this sounds odd, but I kind of feel bad for him. He obviously wasn't ready to kill anyone, just look at him. If he had any sense, he'd have tried to escape by now..."

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash eyes the lone bandit for a few moments, her eyes studying his body.  "But where would he go Kari?  If he was that reluctant to hurt everyone I doubt he had anywhere else to go besides that bandit hideout." Ash glances at Kari and smiles. "Besides, he's probably smart enough to know that if he tried to escape he'd be killed.  Quickly."  Ash looks back to the bandit, slowly getting up from her chair, walking toward the boy, taking a seat next to him.  "Hey, you got a name?"

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
The young man's eyes are riveted to the floor as you approach, as if meeting your gaze would cause him to burst into flame. Given the way you dispatched his superior, the theory holds some merit. Silence reigns for a moment and it takes you a moment to recognize that the bustle around you has stopped. Kari, Cart, and all the townspeople helping to repair the tavern have dropped their tasks to observe your handling of the captured bandit.

You see anger in some of their gazes. No doubt some would heartily approve of gruesome retribution in return for the young man's part in the attack on Tencrest. But more potent is the atmosphere of fear. No doubt people heard of your magic and how you used it. Your stepping in to protect the settlement has given you a certain amount of power and people are anxious to see the manner in which you apply your newfound strength.

"Rodrick." The bandits voice is barely above a hoarse whisper. "My name is Rodrick." 

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash continues to look at the boy, ignoring the attention she was receiving from all the patrons in the bar. "Asharoth." The demon happily replies, her tone quickly switching to one of authority and business.   "Well, Rodrick I got good news and bad news for you."  She pauses for a moment, as is normal with this type of statement.  "The good news I won't kill you.  You didn't hurt anyone nor do I think you were planning to, so killing you would be too harsh of a punishment." She pauses again, crossing her arms under her breasts.  "However, you're still bandit filth and you still need to be punished.  You did just hold up a tavern and damage it's wares after all." She gestures around the place.  "But I believe in second chances, as long as they are earned.  And it will be earned with whatever the people of this town want you to do." She finally acknowledges the crowd. "I'm sure that's reasonable?"

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
The observers flinch like frightened dear at your open recognition of their presence. Once they get over the initial tension of the situation, they start murmuring amongst themselves, clearly surprised that you would leave the decision of the bandit's fate up to them. Their discussion abruptly ends when Olec reemerges with Gwen following closely behind.

"The lad can work off his debt with me an' any other person that needs work doin'." The grizzled man flushes under the sudden attention that his statement provoked. He scratches his balding head. "Figured I should get a say since it was my place the bastards tore up n'everthing..."

Kari raises her voice. "Olec's right. This boy isn't a murderer. The punishment should fit the crime. If we start lynching people because we're angry, then we're no better than bandits ourselves. This isn't the inquisition, we're better than that."

The crowd murmurs its approval. It may just be the fact that nobody actually died in the bandits' attempted robbery, but Kari's tapping of the ongoing religious conflict in the Kingdom seems to have invoked a measure of compassion in the villagers. Such a powerful sentiment would be useful in future dealings with the residents of Tencrest.

"Well it's settled then. Come on lad, let's get you cleaned up." Olec claps the startled youth on the back. "Then you can get to work helping me fix the blasted window Cart broke."

Gwen jumps up onto a table, face crimson with a nervous blush. "And we're going to need this place straightened up, cause come sundown, we're having a party! First round's on the house. We'll show those bandits that they can send all the thugs they want, they can't keep the folk of Tencrest down!"

This announcement draws an appreciative roar from the crowd and repairs to the tavern resume with renewed vigor. During the commotion, Cart and Kari approach you for a more private conference.

"Gwen's scheme to sell ale is great and all, " Kari says. "But it's not going to stop the bandits from making a second attempt. And after today, you can bet they won't send three half-wits again. You said there were dozens of them out on the road. What if they come in force?"

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash looks at the two, nodding.  "You're not wrong, the bandits are definitely more of a threat than I originally thought.  So, we'll have to take action quickly." She pauses for a moment, scratching her chin in thought. "After Olec is done cleaning up Rodrick, we'll get him to tell us some info on the bandit hide out.  With some intel on the place, we should come up with a much better plan on how to act accordingly." Ash nods, looking to the others.  "You have anything you want to add?"

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Cart shrugs. "Nah boss. You get the runt to talk and I've got not complaints. Just point me in the right direction, and I'll go to work."

Kari gives Cart a funny look. Still, she voices no objections and it doesn't take much persuading for Olec to let you have a moment with Rodrick.

(Charisma roll: 19)

Perhaps because you maneuvered his stay of execution, the former-bandit seems more than willing to give you details regarding his organization.

"Our leader's name is Veronica. She built the brotherhood by killing off all the local bandit lords in single combat, " Roderick tells you and Cart in confidence behind the tavern. "She didn't actually order us to hold up the tavern. It was Kruz's idea. He's... Was the guy you lit on fire. Veronica keeps telling us that our path forward isn't by terrorizing the locals, but not everyone agrees with that. The men listened to her while merchants still traveled the roads, but now that times have gotten tougher... Well, some of the lieutenants have been a little less shy about questioning her authority."

Rodrick hesitates before continuing. "I... I really appreciate what you did for me back there. I know it could have gone differently, but at least you didn't kill me outright. I never thought I'd end up like this. I never... I never wanted to hurt anyone, I just sort of fell into a bad situation."

Cart gives a snort of disbelief but makes no attempt to stop you from continuing your questioning.