"Leap Up" (Smuggler Ability) doesn't work.

Esti

Apr 18, 2024
I'm on Tarkus, just got "Leap Up" (Smuggler Ability) for Level Up and... It doesn't work. I still need to spend whole turn getting up. Why?

Last edited:

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
As far as what I can see that is coded, after being tripped, on the start of the next turn, the character should automatically clear the tripped status (the action to get back up--unless you chose to Wait the turn, then the character stays tripped). As far as I'm aware, the Tripped status remains and normally requires the input of the player to get back up, whereas with the perk, that action is automatic (so it is 1-turn quicker than normal). Is this not how it works in practice?

Esti

Apr 18, 2024
Hmm... So it shouldn't activate right in the moment of the trip? If so, than I might be in the wrong. Was it always like that?

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
As far as I know, the way it works now is the intended way it should work:
Leap Up: When you are knocked prone, you immediately stand back up at the start of your next turn.
However, if it isn't one of the first actions printed on the turn after being tripped then that may be an issue. But yes, the perk was never intended as a form of trip immunity, just a mechanism to cancel trip earlier than usual.

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
In Game Description said:
Leap Up: Allows you to easily and freely leap to your feet after being knocked prone.
Even with the text you quoted, Steele actually stands up after taking an action (but before any enemies), not at the start (technically speaking).
Proposal said:
When knocked prone, you automatically stand up as part of any action.

Normal:
Steele will remain Tripped until Stand Up is chosen, which replaces the Run button and consumes the turn.
Lift Off, Booster Pack and Levitate also remove Trip.

Leap Up:
Any action but Wait will remove Trip for free, but will activate after the action.
Stand Up still takes the entire turn.
This makes Stand Up something of a trap. Maybe don't replace Run if Steele has Leap Up?
I had assumed Stand Up would be a free action but had always favored Quick Draw.

Incidentally, the basic Tease attacks (Ass, Chest, Crotch & Hips) all have special text and are more effective when Tripped. With Leap Up, Steele automatically stands afterward and so can't take advantage more than once/Trip,
Also, how does this work with the Overpass part of the Dhaal Feruze fight? Unless you can Fly, you need to be Prone for at least one turn.

Last edited:

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
Discussing this issue with Fenoxo, it seems the Leap Up had been changed to accommodate/compensate for a fight scene related to Feruze (a fight underneath an overpass) where standing up during a turn would unintentionally result in a bad outcome. The perk will be undergoing review and, along with the "Wait" and "Stand Up" actions, pending some changes for consistency.

Reactions: Theron