Information Requested: Core Species Pregnancy-Gestation times and rates of Maturity

MarcoPolo121

Apr 24, 2017
Ireland
And by Core, I mean the ones at the heart of the game, the ones we can choose to be half of - i.e. Ausar, Kaithrit, Leithan, Kui-Tan and Gryvain. Humans are obvious - as long as both take in Real Life, minus the possibility of cloning, genetic mutation/modification or cybernetic augmentation - but I have not found any info in-game to indicate how long it takes for the other five, or whether human years is the norm for half-breeds or it's just Steele who gets that because eugenics.

Why do I want to know this information? Because I have had the idea of NPCs who are affected by the Rut and Heat status effects, and want to plan any resultant pregnancies and child-rearing accordingly. If it turns out everyone gestates and ages in human years... well, that would still be an answer, which is more than what I have now.

I have more ideas rattling around in my skull, and there's more to it for any new NPCs of my own rather than existing ones, but want to first get all the necessary information available to me in order to avoid cock-ups that make it through the cracks and have to be fixed in later updates.

Also, such information for the Thraggen would also be appreciated, if for no other reason than so I can write a decent backstory for any thraggen NPCs I end up writing.

Lancer

Nov 1, 2016
Have you looked at the in-game Codex entries for the races in question? I'm not sure but that might have at least some of the answers you are looking for.
The codex entries only have basic life span information and the frequency of breeding cycles. The information MarcoPolo is looking for isn't included for the core races, although it can be extrapolated for other species on the frontier.

@MarcoPolo121 You'd have better luck PM'ing the creators of the individual races themselves or Savin if they are no longer around, as if it's not written in the codex it is unlikely to be known at all outside of the creator, and maybe not even then as it may have completely skipped the writer's mind. Those people are less likely to see a topic in the forum and address it, although Savin has been active recently.

GothPastel

Scientist
Creator
Jan 6, 2017
Where the crows are.
To keep things... legal, I think most of the core races are assumed to be of age somewhere in the 18-20 range so reach maturity around then, even if the aging process slows down after that. Not sure about gestation periods though.

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
All I remember is that Ausar have ~8 months
Not quite. Codex says 6 (24 weeks). Kaithrit gestation is 8 (32 weeks). Kui-tan gestation lasts 26-28 weeks. ~20 weeks for thraggen.

Gryvain lay their egg after 6 weeks. The egg hatches 6 weeks later (12 weeks after conception). Gryvain are explicitly stated to develop at a similar rate to human children (sexual maturity at ~20 years).

All of this is in the Codex, fyi.

Night Trap

Scientist
Creator
Oct 31, 2016
And by Core, I mean the ones at the heart of the game, the ones we can choose to be half of - i.e. Ausar, Kaithrit, Leithan, Kui-Tan and Gryvain. Humans are obvious - as long as both take in Real Life, minus the possibility of cloning, genetic mutation/modification or cybernetic augmentation - but I have not found any info in-game to indicate how long it takes for the other five, or whether human years is the norm for half-breeds or it's just Steele who gets that because eugenics.

Why do I want to know this information? Because I have had the idea of NPCs who are affected by the Rut and Heat status effects, and want to plan any resultant pregnancies and child-rearing accordingly. If it turns out everyone gestates and ages in human years... well, that would still be an answer, which is more than what I have now.

I have more ideas rattling around in my skull, and there's more to it for any new NPCs of my own rather than existing ones, but want to first get all the necessary information available to me in order to avoid cock-ups that make it through the cracks and have to be fixed in later updates.

Also, such information for the Thraggen would also be appreciated, if for no other reason than so I can write a decent backstory for any thraggen NPCs I end up writing.
Well your question has been answered now, I believe mostly accurately. So, who are the characters you wanted to write heat/rut for? :allears::allears::allears:

Just in case you didn't know this, Breeder's Bliss does not override Sterilex, and Sterilex ends heat/rut prematurely. This might be useful info if the heat/rut itself is what you're interested in and not as much the actual breeding. Still, I look forward to this either way. :p

MarcoPolo121

Apr 24, 2017
Ireland
Not quite. Codex says 6 (24 weeks). Kaithrit gestation is 8 (32 weeks). Kui-tan gestation lasts 26-28 weeks. ~20 weeks for thraggen.

Gryvain lay their egg after 6 weeks. The egg hatches 6 weeks later (12 weeks after conception). Gryvain are explicitly stated to develop at a similar rate to human children (sexual maturity at ~20 years).

Well your question has been answered now, I believe mostly accurately. So, who are the characters you wanted to write heat/rut for? :allears::allears::allears:

Just in case you didn't know this, Breeder's Bliss does not override Sterilex, and Sterilex ends heat/rut prematurely. This might be useful info if the heat/rut itself is what you're interested in and not as much the actual breeding. Still, I look forward to this either way. :p

My thanks for this information. Perhaps I should have looked harder for it, but no sense wishing now.

I didn't know about Sterilex interacting with Breeder's Bliss in that way, but now that you've told me I'll just have to find a way to involve it somehow. I was already going to get Breeder's Bliss involved, at least.

As for which NPCs to involve? Tough question. A lot of the NPCs in the game qualify by virtue of sense of smell, but I'd hate to just hamfistedly smash a few generic comments about them picking up on your rut or heat state and call it a day. I'd prefer any mentions and related encounters with such existing NPCs to be longer than that, more meaningful. I think maybe Aina the Centauress is a good place to start, as she already has a heat mechanic in her monthly cycle, although I would need permission from @JimThermic to do so, and to figure out if I want it to go any further than just breeding.

Of course, making my own NPCs will be another challenge unto itself, but that's another discussion altogether. Thanks again!

Lancer

Nov 1, 2016
I think maybe Aina the Centauress is a good place to start, as she already has a heat mechanic in her monthly cycle, although I would need permission from @JimThermic to do so, and to figure out if I want it to go any further than just breeding.
JimT left TiTS, so you won't need his approval, you'll need Fenoxo's approval instead, probably both before you start writing and for the final product if you want to avoid any faux pas. I'm not sure what the best way to do that is, it might be a good idea to ask someone who's actually written for TiTS before.

Well now I feel silly. I should have gone back and re-read those codex entries again instead of relying on memory for such a small detail. Lesson learned, I suppose.

Night Trap

Scientist
Creator
Oct 31, 2016
My thanks for this information. Perhaps I should have looked harder for it, but no sense wishing now.

I didn't know about Sterilex interacting with Breeder's Bliss in that way, but now that you've told me I'll just have to find a way to involve it somehow. I was already going to get Breeder's Bliss involved, at least.

As for which NPCs to involve? Tough question. A lot of the NPCs in the game qualify by virtue of sense of smell, but I'd hate to just hamfistedly smash a few generic comments about them picking up on your rut or heat state and call it a day. I'd prefer any mentions and related encounters with such existing NPCs to be longer than that, more meaningful. I think maybe Aina the Centauress is a good place to start, as she already has a heat mechanic in her monthly cycle, although I would need permission from @JimThermic to do so, and to figure out if I want it to go any further than just breeding.

Of course, making my own NPCs will be another challenge unto itself, but that's another discussion altogether. Thanks again!
A pregnancy for Aina is already being written, so don't worry about that. I have no idea if there's a breeding scene for that or not. You might want to go for another candidate first or something. It's up to you really.