Writing & Submitting Content For CoC2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Hi, I'm Savin, the lead writer/designer for CoC2.

CoC2 is a game that thrives on community contribution, not just in terms of your feedback and support but also through direct addition of content to the game. You can write sex scenes, new characters, and even whole quests and have them added into the game! But it's not necessarily an easy or straightforward process. This thread is here to walk you through it.

Currently, public submissions to the game are OPEN.

If you wish to contribute to the game, here's the basics:

Standards of Writing
Writing for a text game isn't like writing a short story. The player character is a customizable unit, and oftentimes there are variables in the NPCs you are engaging with as well -- to say nothing of interacting with systems like map exploration or combat.

I offer you this example from the game, the Temple of Terrestrial Fire, as a small cross-section of what writing is like. This includes a small dungeon, a couple of combat encounters, and a few sex scenes.

Submissions must be in American English, and at least attempt to abide by the parser documentation. Good grammar and spelling are a must. When you don't know what parser to use, or it's going to be a complex mess, or otherwise you need to indicate something to the coders, {put it in squiggle brackets}. We do NOT ask that you attempt to understand or design around the game's mechanics such as combat -- you can just outline what you WANT something to do mechanically, and we'll handle the fine-tuning on our end.

Submissions must use the Second Person, Present Tense for content. That is "You walk down the street," not "The Champion walked down the street."

Your work must be in a viewable Google Document with Suggestions turned on. Trying to send a .txt/.doc/.whatever or a pastebin or putting your writing right in the forum will result in immediate rejection.

Please use Arial 11 for your submission's font. Slightly larger fonts/sizes are okay; if you submit your document in anything smaller or harder on the eyes I'm going to make you fix it before I even try reading it.

We accept submissions up to 100 pages in length. Unsolicited submissions of over 100 pages will be rejected. The same people who do reviewing are the ones that do the writing on our staff; we unfortunately cannot at this juncture dedicate the time and resources to reviewing projects larger than this.

What To Write
If this is your first submission with us, we ask that you first submit one single sex scene for an existing NPC (who already HAS sex scenes of their own). Pick your favorite waifu and think up something kinky; this will give our reviewers a chance to look at a small amount of your writing and offer constructive critique and criticism before you commit to a larger project. We'd rather catch issues in your use of language, formatting, and parser use early than have it damage a project you spent months working on.

My typical suggestion to authors is that a sex scene should be 1,500 words, plus or minus 500. Sometimes they'll be a little shorter or longer, but that's about the right sweet spot in my experience.

If you want to write but aren't sure exactly where to start, here's some gentle nudging in the right direction from me to you:
  • New sex scenes for existing enemies are always welcome and always in demand. It's a good way to make us like you.
  • If you want to write a new Original Character, please consider starting with an enemy encounter or an event in the wilderness. These are much more helpful to the game's development than new waifus sitting in town.
  • Sidequests, such as defeating a particular monster or clearing a small dungeon, are great places to dip your feet into larger projects! Something like the Temple of Terrestrial Fire linked above adds a lot to the game in a small package!
  • Writing new Transformation text for existing items, or new items outright, is very helpful. Nobody on the staff particularly shares that kink. Unfortunately, I will warn you, this also means the review queue for Transformations is longer than for other projects.
  • New and expanded Bad End text for events is great! Bad Ends aren't canonical to the game, so you can go pretty wild with it.
Now here's the negative nancy part -- things I have to tell you NOT to write.
  • You are not allowed to write Combat Companions. Submissions for new Companions ended years ago now, sorry!
  • You may not submit a project that is just items or mechanical adjustments. We are looking for quests and sex from submissions, not your ideas for gameplay.
  • Please don't write in a bunch of direct ripoffs from or references to CoC1 or TiTS. CoC1 still exists; there's no reason to just rehash stuff that's already been done there.
  • Don't create your own Regions. You can create new Locations within existing Regions, such a cave or a house or a hill that your NPC will be found in, that's fine -- but creating a new Region requires an ungodly amount of time and effort -- a hundred thousand words, easy.

A Disclaimer And Your Agreement With Us
If you do want to submit something to CoC2, please read the following. Posting your project here on the forum or in any other way submitting it to the staff is taken as agreement that:
  • Once content is submitted, you surrender control of your project to me (that's Savin, hi). I try diligently to talk to writers and keep them in communication with each other, but if you vanish or throw a fit about something, your content can end up getting changed without your approval. It's exceedingly rare, but it can happen. Be prepared for that eventuality.
  • The CoC2 staff can publish and distribute your submitted content, and use your characters for whatever media purposes we deem fit. In other words: your waifu might end up on a mug or a bookmark, or plastered on promotional material.
  • You are free to use your characters and writing elsewhere (unless it's something I paid you for eg. a commission). If you write your Original Character into the game, you can still get your own art of them or even add them to other games if you'd like; they remain your characters. It's the writing you submit to us that we'll control, including the characters' use within the game.
  • You are giving Savin all rights to use your character & writing in our games - be they TiTS, CoC2, or a future sequel. (TL;DR: You're giving us this stuff to use for game stuff without expectation of financial payment.)
  • You are giving Savin and co. rights to modify your scenes in the future for potential expansions and arcs. (TL;DR: We might tweak things, add new scenes, or accept other author's submissions for your characters.)
I'd rather not have to spell things out so forcefully, but we need to make sure that nobody can demand content be removed after the fact (ala Breeding Season's art), and I want to be clear that any character at any time could have bad things happen to them. As an author, you'll need to be okay with that.

That seems a little intimidating, and it's for good reason. I'd really encourage you to create things specifically for CoC2, rather than trying to fit in something pre-existing that you have a deep emotional attachment to. It can end up changed in ways you don't like or expect later on.

Actually Doing the Submitting Thing
Once you have taken into account all of the above and have written your submission out to the best of your abilities, you should about now be asking yourself: "How do I get this in game?"

We currently accept submissions via a Google Form. Once again, please make sure you have followed all of the directions laid out in this post. Nothing is worse than "submitting" a project without a functioning contact email and with the document not accessible to us! That's just work vanishing into the ether.

Currently, our submission review queue is very long. Once again, the same people who review are the same staff members who write our big dungeons, Companions, and other big ticket content. It's hard to make the time to review when you're a writer too! Please be patient with us, and feel free to poke a staff member on Discord if you want a status update on your submission. Generally, we'll leave a comment at the top of the document when we've finished a review, letting you know if it's been accepted or rejected -- but sometimes that does slip our mind. If something is rejected, we'll leave comments on the document telling you why and how to fix it (or letting you know the degree to which you need to work on your fundamentals as a writer before trying again).

If this is your first submission, I'd strongly encourage you to wait until your first scene is reviewed before committing to another project. It's bad for everyone if problems aren't addressed early; you don't want to have to go back and change the tense of a whole 100-page dungeon!

If your submission includes new characters or creatures to encounter, our staff will provide any artwork needed for the game -- you don't need to stress about that unless you REALLY want to.

Thank You! <3
This game and community thrive of cooperative contributions. It's how I got my start writing for CoC1 over a decade ago now, and the same can be said for many successful writers in the community and on the staff. We truly appreciate you taking the time to consider helping the game reach its potential!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.