Workaround to not being able to play TiTS on a mac & Genuin question to @Gedan

Jan 26, 2018
Hello Mac users,

Want to play TiTS, but can't? I have a solution, if you want to make your hands dirty :p
  • First, download the latest TiTS package you can (backers or public)
  • Unzip it and remember WHERE you unziped it :p
  • Download node.js. You need the LTS / .pkg version for macos.
  • Install it.
  • In a terminal, type "npm install electron --save-dev" to install electron.
  • After making a backup of it, edit the file {TiTS directory}/resources/app/image-manifest.json to change ALL "\\" to "/" (I don't know if this is specific to backers build, you let me know). Use a real text editor for this. Avoid TextEdit :p (Text Wrangler and Visual Studio Code are good for that)
  • In a termnal, go to {TiTS directory}/resources/app , then type "npx electron ." (with the space and dot at the end).

It should launch the game \o/

@Gedan It looks like there is code to detect the OS it is running on in the main.js file (if (process.platform === "linux")).
Would it be possible to add a detection for macos (process.platform === "darwin"), even without building on it, so we can remove the step where we do a replace all ? (which can be seriously dangerous)

Last edited:
Reactions: shrikes

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
The code is there because that's all we officially support for the time being - you are free to play the browser based version to your hearts content.

I've been investigating if it's really worth jumping through all of the hoops to have a proper mac build anyway, but we're not fully there yet. I know somebody, somewhere is repacking things to do this and releasing it, but I assume it runs into issues that we need to handle properly, and this takes time away from me working on other things. I'm not touching code in the app itself until I know exactly how I'm going to handle certain packaging and signing requirements.

Jan 26, 2018
The code is there because that's all we officially support for the time being - you are free to play the browser based version to your hearts content.

I've been investigating if it's really worth jumping through all of the hoops to have a proper mac build anyway, but we're not fully there yet. I know somebody, somewhere is repacking things to do this and releasing it, but I assume it runs into issues that we need to handle properly, and this takes time away from me working on other things. I'm not touching code in the app itself until I know exactly how I'm going to handle certain packaging and signing requirements.
Hey Gedan,

Thanks for the reply.
It looks like a macos build was released with the last backer release ;) (maybe by mistake)
Capture d’écran 2023-01-19 à 21.41.27.png

I tried it. So yes it is not signed. Not a big deal, we can "right click / open" to bypass the check. Signing it would be great, but for me, it should not be a no go.
It looks likes it's working fine. I spotted one bug :
The image pack downloader is not putting files like it should do. It is because there in no check for macos in the main.js file.
Images are named "resources\img\Aceinthehole\x2\evening_nude.Aceinthehole.webp" in the ImagePack folder, instead of being in their right folders. It looks like it fucked up the installer a little bit, it tried to re download all images after each new start of the game.
Beside that, I would say this is a success.
I lost all of my save from my precedent tinkering too, but that was expected, and I had exported them before trying the new version. New saves are still there after a restart of the game, so it works as intended.

Thanks for having a look into it.

For people having downloaded it and wanting to fix it on their end :
Add this in the main.js file (just after the same block for linux) :
if (process.platform === "darwin")
{
basePath = basePath.replaceAll("\\", "/");
}

Or you could change the linux block like this :
if (process.platform === "linux" || process.platform === "darwin")
{
basePath = basePath.replaceAll("\\", "/");
}

shrikes

Apr 24, 2017
I've been playing TiTS on a macbook for nearly 6 years now. I was a little worried about the switch from flash to java, but looking back, i really shouldn't have. If i need to play off-line, I just download and open TiTS in a browser and it works really well.

I do appreciate any efforts that Gedan, Fen, and the other staff members have made to keeping the option of a mac release a possibility. I know that we mac users make up a small minority of the players, so thank you to all who put up with us, especially Gedan. :)

Out of curiosity, are there any statistics gathered from the online versions that list what people play on? I'm guessing the vast majority are windows machines, followed by android devices, then maybe blackberries (yes that was a joke) lastly us mac users?