why isn't anyone using SFM for graphics in games?

TheShocker

Oct 17, 2016
So maybe this is a dumb question, as I'm in no sense of the word a Dev or know anything about making games, but why aren't people using SFM for models and animations in game? There are already hundreds of XXX animations out there and they are arguably better visually. 

PandaPenguin

Oct 11, 2016
 and they are arguably better visually. 

I can't second that
I haven't seen any good looking SFM animations yet. And with good looking I mean compared to DAZ3D or other render software that can handle high-poly 3D models.
Facial expressions for example or lighting is more sophisticated in these programs than in SWF

yes, some of valves own SFM animations look really good but it's their own tool so you'd expect them to produce some quality with it.

from a game dev perspective I can't say how "easy" SFM content is portable to engines like Unity.
I only used DAZ3D and 3ds Max created 3D models in my Unity projects so far and all I use for my recent 2D project in GameMaker Studio is rendered material from DAZ3D ^^

TheShocker

Oct 17, 2016
Thanks for the reply. The difficulty in porting is what I was wondering about since as far I know no one has tried this yet. As for the visuals I was referring to the 3dcg animations (if I'm using that right) that you see in a lot of adult games. CakeofCakes and Pewposterous make some pretty impressive SFM animations. Then again, I have no idea of the time requirements for various software and porting. Either way, it was just a thought I had.

thatpal

Mar 26, 2016
I can't second that
I haven't seen any good looking SFM animations yet. And with good looking I mean compared to DAZ3D or other render software that can handle high-poly 3D models.
Facial expressions for example or lighting is more sophisticated in these programs than in SWF

It's very rare, but some exist. One that i know of that comes to mind happens to include sarah from the last of us, so I can't refer to it any more on here. But if done by someone really skilled SFM can have so incredible results

peacewalker

Mar 2, 2016
A lot of the people making games are amateurs with no real budget, and don't pay for/can't afford the bandwidth costs associated to uploading their games to filesharing websites. Animations and pictures take up a lot of space (comparatively). Remember that the creators of games are aware that shit hosting sites make the free users strain the files through a fucking soup strainer before getting the file. So in general people don't like to make massive games with lots of animations or pictures. (the exception being rpg maker games, but those are smaller because of RTP) Take for example, slavemaker. It is an absolute pain in the fucking ass to download because the hosting sites give ass download speeds, and it has a shit ton of pictures. NOT ONLY THAT, but each slave pack might be split up into 250 mb rar files, so you might need to take hours or days to download a single slave pack or fork over money to a hosting site.