why are humans not in the codex?

Kingu2

May 20, 2020
Just as the title states I'm curious as to why humans were left out of the codex on races. Given their presence and influence across the world it seems very strange that they aren't in there.

Furio

May 22, 2021
You are a human. You know what we're about. :p
The Codex doesn't necessarily list solely physiological and psychological trivia about each race, it also goes into detail about their lore and culture. In consideration to just how central the Belharan Empire is to the setting of CoC2, and how vague humanity's role is in this Universe, I think a Codex entry is somewhat justifiable. What makes Humans "special" in comparison to other races besides every cliche under the sun along the lines of being smart and adaptable? Why do humans think they possess greater favor with the very Gods themselves? Things of that nature.

Last edited:

Stupid_Goo

Apr 10, 2021
Aren't the Belharans and Tronarii humans?

Reactions: Lone Wolf115

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
My initial reaction to the question was, "Do you not know how to Human?" But then I remembered the codex entries don't just contain biological facts, but historical ones as well.

TheShepard256

Plus, TiTS has a Codex entry for humans, and those humans are quite literally our descendants. CoC2 humans are unrelated to us except in form, name and possibly language*; we want to know how they differ from us, just like we want to know how other races differ from us.
*At the very least, Zo's name looks the same as it does in English.

Karamaru

Jan 31, 2021
The Codex doesn't necessarily list solely physiological and psychological trivia about each race, it also goes into detail about their lore and culture. In consideration to just how central the Belharan Empire is to the setting of CoC2, and how vague humanity's role is in this Universe, I think a Codex entry is somewhat justifiable. What makes Humans "special" in comparison to other races besides every cliche under the sun along the lines of being smart and adaptable? Why do humans think they possess greater favor with the very Gods themselves? Things of that nature.
I asked this question myself since everything points to humans being pretty much at the bottom of the totem pole but they seem to do alright and since they have had greater effect on the world at large than any other race so it seems somewhat strange that they have no entry in the codex given their history.
Aren't the Belharans and Tronarii humans?
Most of them, yes, the Belharan heartlands seem to be their primary homelands and have since spread out.
But what does it mean to be human? :confused:

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
I asked this question myself since everything points to humans being pretty much at the bottom of the totem pole
This seems to be entirely a case of perspective bias. The Frost Marches were inhabited by the lupines first and humanity was a latecomer. Meanwhile Belhar was (previously) the biggest game in town and we're told it was largely a human/elvish affair so before the Godswar they were on top of the totem pole in most of the known world, aside from the Old Country and Jassira. We don't get a good look into the regions of the world where humanity was a dominant race but we can assume they're still a major presence in both the Belharan heartland and Tronarii and we know Evelyn is from a kingdom that's ruled by humans.
But what does it mean to be human?
Careful, this is the kind of question that can launch a speculative fiction explosion, or cause a super-AI to self-destruct. :p

Kingu2

May 20, 2020
yeah I was kind of hoping for a more serious answer to their history and culture. Like, I get that they are based roughly off of the roman empire, much like the orcs are based on vikings and the kitsune couldn't be more blatantly fantasy japanese. but they do inherently have a history and culture that is uniquely different from ours that is influenced by so many factors, from the way they utilize magic to the various races they've integrated or enslaved to the way they interact with the gods and how well they faired after the apocalypse. excluding humans them from the codex when there are so many interesting things to know about them really seems like an oversight.

Kingu2

May 20, 2020
Humans are not a monolith. It's why you're more likely to get lore on the various places and then the peoples within them than you are a "human" codex as a whole
nor are any of the other races. but they still have a unique history and culture that deserves to be written about.