Who's the Villain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
I just really want to point out that there is no "wrong" way to play a game. The conclusions that Kokayi came to about Bloodborne and Lovecraftian horror in general are heavily flawed, but no one HAS to be a lore buff to play the game. That kind of attitude is one I see often in the Souls community and, although I respect your intentions with this comment and agree with the rest of it, I'd like to try to shut that specific part down as quickly as possible. Bloodborne may not have been the ideal game for him based on his tastes and it certainly wasn't exactly the wisest choice for him to try to critically analyze it without fully understanding what he was talking about, but it's completely within his rights to play it and any other game any way he wants. Problems only arise when players get ahead of themselves and start making demands that games be made to suit their specific desires, like the hilarious "Sekiro needs an easy mode" articles or Kokayi's own criticisms of TiTS' plot, not through the mere act of playing the games themselves.
I don't mean that wanting to help people was wrong, just his takeaway of it. I sounded rude as hell though. Although ignoring visceral attacks like my brother did seems pretty wrong when you get to the Orphan of Kos and can't parry for crap.

Reactions: BoyHowdy000
K

Kokayi005

I don't want TITS plot tailored for me. I thought it already was building up to be a "stop the evil organizations, and wake the people up from their control over them". I got that idea from dialogue IN THE GAME. Yall keep glossing over the fact that I made and honest mistake based on NPC interaction and reading a wikia page. If they want a bleak world of sex and violence and only small humane victories. So be it. It's not my game. But to me, a well written "save the world" story can be fun and rewarding. Just like anything done with effort and patience can be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alabaster Chimes

Aug 29, 2015
@Kokayi005

What YOUR NOT GETTING-

Is that this isn't a story where you can change the universe. You are nothing, a lone being in a dystopia society where you can truly change nothing cause it is too far gone.

The entire setting is a corporate dystopia rule by greed, and its been like that for a thousands of years in lore. CoC was a story about corruption, but this story is more about a PERSONAL JOURNEY, keyword being "personal" as it's about you and only you, the rest of universe can rot.

Because in the long run, your a rock thrown into the deepest recesses of an ocean planet.

You cant understand personal stories, and will probably never enjoy them, or ever understand them. If you think you like one, you probably have some interpretation of it that borders on flat out "jumping the shark" or having a lack of evidence. TiTs is a personal story about your adventures in the 13th Planet Rush as Captain Steele, the heir to Victor Steele, trying to inherit their father's legacy before their conniving cousin gets it.

No evil company is out to get you, no big bad pirate wants it, you just happen it get in bad situation cause life likes throwing shit at you cause life is a fucking hurricane.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Captain Steele isn't Special, and they never will be.

Reactions: NotYouNorI and Evil

BoyHowdy000

Oct 2, 2018
I don't want TITS plot tailored for me. I thought it already was builing up to be a "stop the evil organizations, and wake the people up from their control over them". I got that idea from dialogue IN THE GAME. Yall keep glossing over the fact that I made and honest mistake based on NPC interaction and reading a wikia page. If they want a bleak world of sex and violence and only small humane victories. So be it. It's not my game. But to me, a well written "save the world" story can be fun and rewarding. Just like anything done with effort and patience can be.
I was focused more on the fact that you continue to criticize TiTS' plot for not living up to your expectations; making it seem worse than it actually is and getting defensive about how "it's just not for you" instead of simply shutting down the conversation. It is true that you aren't directly asking for change like the articles I compared you to, but you are criticizing this game and others from an emotional perspective, not a logical one, and making a number of critical errors in your reasoning that continue to upset more and more people as you do so. I considered putting in a few clarifying lines to explain that and the fact that TiTS actually is open to suggestions to a certain extent due to the fact that it is not a complete game, but didn't want to bloat that comment too much and hoped it would be implied to people who have kept up with the thread. It would appear that I didn't do a good enough job, so I'm sorry for painting you in a worse light than necessary.

K

Kokayi005

Yes, it can. But you seem to be arguing that it's the only story that can be good, and that's why everyone is upset.
Well then we're misunderstanding each other. I'm saying it's the kind I like, not the only kind that's good. I'd never say that. I've seen countless movies, books, shows. Some end in a depressing way, but it's wasn't a bad piece of media. Sometimes it's just a cautionary tale.

@BoyHowdy000
I'm just expressing regular disappointment. I'll be over it and moving on some hours from now. Same as any human. As long as you're not trolling me, no harm no foul. And I hope no one sees me in that light, as a troll. I'm just doing what gamers do. Play games, get into it, and enjoy it, then discuss it critically.

Zavos

May 7, 2016
@Kokayi005
Repeat after me: My opinions are my own: purely subjective. I acknowledge that anything i say or believe could be wrong. I recognize that so long as Trials in Tainted Space remains profitable, any criticism i make about the game's plot, design or creators has no legitimacy.

Reactions: ShySquare
K

Kokayi005

It took me a while to get to Myrellion last time because I took so many side tours to figure out so much of the lore as told by the NPCs rather than just in paragraph form. This time, knowing what I know now, I can streamline thing. And make a "bee-line" straight there with lingering too much other than to max out my level and get better gear.

Thing is, from what I remember, after Mhen'ga (or even during it) there was a quick way to level up in Space Texas by do that round-up side quest. And you get money hand over fist with the silicone there. So now that I'm level 5 that'll be my next stop after I finish reading up on all the stuff Kimber has to say for the items I bring her.

I don't think there's any major challenges but maybe 1 or 2 per world till you get deeper in. So if I play my cards right, now no bullshit around with conversations I already know about, and avoid most sexual encounters, I can speed run the game by weekend's end. The only boss I remember being a problem once you hit your stride is that optional Queen of the Deep lady. So smooth sailing.

_Swish

Apr 17, 2019
Here's the other issue-- the world has become too damn big to save. This is a galaxy teeming with trillions upon trillions of people, with probably hundreds of megacorps that all intermingle in their various societal spheres of control. Even if you manage to take over a whole planet and run it according to whatever "good and moral society" you think will work, you have gained control of one grain of sand on a beach. If you SOMEHOW take down one megacorp in a world where they essentially write the laws and shape public opinion and desires through offering carnal pleasures on top of having an ungodly amount of resources, guess what? Some existing corporation will fill the void, or a new one will take its place. And if you gather all the infinity cock rings or whatever and snap away the existing order, do you know what will happen? Whatever new system you set up rots. It always rots. Any system you set up will have a hole. It will take time to find, but they will find it, because it's human (and alien) nature to exploit a system that can be exploited. Over time, people will let their guard down, and a handful of decades of not paying attention later, you suddenly find that your government is bought and paid for, no corporation is bound by real rules, and you can't do shit about it.

You're just mopping up the rain in an unending storm.

K

Kokayi005

From what you're saying it just seems harder, not impossible to a person of patience and willpower. Didn't Victor and many others cheat death over and over and extend their life 100s of years? Okay. In modern times, that seems impossible. So this is no different.

All Steele would have to do is get into politics, form a support group of other like minded people in politics and get laws passed to obstruct the mega conglomerates from doing inhumane stuff. It would take time. And a lot of cracking down. But things would be better.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
But its not just one planet. Its hundreds, if not thousands. Its an entire galaxy.

Just get the Don Quioxte shit out of here, because its getting old. Actually no, it isn't getting old. It is old. It's dead and buried.

You aren't going to make the galaxy a better place. The most you can hope for is that you make a few lives better. A woman went blind? Play for the surgery that gives her new eyes. Someone is making a transition to their true self? Make their dreams come true sooner by giving them a large tip.

You're looking at changing the galaxy, you can't do that, you dipstick. But you can make someone's world infinitely better.

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
There are multiple governments trying their best to be peaceful with each other, and an intergalactic police force. But the corporations hold the real power, and if the current governments can't deal with it, Steele alone can't either. Not to mention the massive criminal underbelly full of pirates and slavers, not counting the legal slavery of the core worlds and all the white collar crime that goes unnoticed, or even the trillions of poverty stricken people who can barely get by. You can literally sell Sera like, 2 items and put her in debt and legally own her.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
There is a galactic government, and its an incredibly slow, bureaucratic mess. A system of that size would be. You look at how slowly the UN is to do anything, now imagine that with hundreds or thousands of planets.

Then you have the military arm of the UGC, who keep their ships close to the core, its too much to send them out except for a major threat like the Thraggen invasion. You aren't talking about a rapid response force that can get to a crisis area in a few hours. You're talking about mobilising a fleet and coordinating a response, which could take weeks for a relatively close incident.

Bear in mind as well that it takes time to travel across space, even with the Warp Gates.

K

Kokayi005

No I mean, but getting into the government and controlling it is how Steele should work towards making things better. Maybe as a government official, he can ally with some one in control of the universal law department and work with them to try and fix the government and the laws. It's just not impossible that's what I mean. There's no such thing as impossible. Especially in a work with all the crazy stuff these characters can do. So why wouldn't one of those crazy things be "working hard to change the companies, taking away their stranglehold, fixing the slow government, and stopping the self-absorbed long arm of the law". If Steele even TRIED to do one of these things so that sex trafficking and inhumane acts stop or even slowed down, I'd be happy.

But like I said: I've made peace with it. Yall have made it clear, not wide spread lasting change will ever be made because the writers don't like that kind of storytelling. I got it.

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
So you're telling me Steele, possible CEO of Steeletech should get a position in the UGC and use said position to attack and destroy rival megacorps?

Brilliant!

Reactions: ShySquare

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
Except that's hardly a realistic goal in reality and pretty farfetched in fantasy, too. Still, however, it's... simply not the story. TiTs isn't a political thriller. It's a campy action-adventure flick with sex.

Reactions: Alabaster Chimes
Status
Not open for further replies.