When Will Bethesda Modernize?

A79

May 18, 2017
Carl's backyard
I vote for InXile to take over the franchise. No one like the original creator to set a franchise back on the right path.

Nebula

Dec 20, 2017
InXile sold their soul to Microsoft and so did Obsidian. I'd be rather worried if they got their hands on it.

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
InXile sold their soul to Microsoft and so did Obsidian. I'd be rather worried if they got their hands on it.
Xbox needs an exclusive developer to make exclusive games for their console. I bet they offered them lots of money.

Last edited:

Nebula

Dec 20, 2017
Aight, that's for sure. Just hope Wasteland 3 won't be affected by their corporate bs in the meantime.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
Aight, that's for sure. Just hope Wasteland 3 won't be affected by their corporate bs in the meantime.
I know this is something else but it's like when EA got their hands on the Command and Conquer franchise, basically ruined it with the last game CnC4 and don't expect to see another CnC game due to incorporate politics which is the reason why several new games have been shelved or abandoned mid-development. EA is a cancer in the gaming industry and gaming world to begin with anyways.

Nebula

Dec 20, 2017
I know this is something else but it's like when EA got their hands on the Command and Conquer franchise, basically ruined it with the last game CnC4 and don't expect to see another CnC game due to incorporate politics which is the reason why several new games have been shelved or abandoned mid-development. EA is a cancer in the gaming industry and gaming world to begin with anyways.

Microsoft and Bethesda aren't as far from them, if not the same in my opinion. That's why I'm worried.

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
Remember when Bungie chaffed under Microsoft, bailed on the Halo franchise only to start working on Destiny with Activision? lol

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
I wish Destiny turned out good... I do like playing, especially with friends, but it's necessary to buy all the dlc to have a good experience, and even then it's hard to keep yourself from buying loot boxes because there's a very real chance of never getting what you want without speeding up the process. Not that I can afford to buy any, which almost makes it feel like I'm being punished for being poor.

TFMaster

Remember when Bungie chaffed under Microsoft, bailed on the Halo franchise only to start working on Destiny with Activision? lol

Oh I member!
Ever since 343 Industries took over the Halo franchise it’s been going downhill. Bungie’s entries to the franchise where a lot better than 343’s and are still some of my favorite games to play.

Reactions: Tinman

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
Oh I member!
Ever since 343 Industries took over the Halo franchise it’s been going downhill. Bungie’s entries to the franchise where a lot better than 343’s and are still some of my favorite games to play.
I played 4 for free and still felt cheated. I gave up on the series immediately.

Tinman

Aug 30, 2015
Oh I member!

Haven't played the new games, but from what I've heard the lore is getting butchered too. In the new games humans existed at the same time, and at the same level of technological development, as the Forerunners. And a third even older more advanced species accidentally turned themselves into the flood.

TFMaster

Haven't played the new games, but from what I've heard the lore is getting butchered too. In the new games humans existed at the same time, and at the same level of technological development, as the Forerunners. And a third even older more advanced species accidentally turned themselves into the flood.

Yeah I heard about that too, I also know that they brought Cortana back after her supposed death at the end of Halo 4 and made her the main villainess in Halo 5 which is just why? Why would they do that?

Edit: Sorry about derailing this thread.

Last edited:

Ch0w

Apr 12, 2017
Yeah I heard about that too, I also know that they brought Cortana back after her supposed death at the end of Halo 4 and made her the main villainess in Halo 5 which is just why? Why would they do that?

Edit: Sorry about derailing this thread.
idk the one thing i loved about 5 was exactly turning cortana into a villain, as it was something never expected to happen, the problem was how it ended
same thing happened last year i believe, when marvel made Captain America reveal himself as a sleeping Hydra agent.
It was really an awesome story, but ending was so lame

Kharuhk

Dec 15, 2018
I'm currently playing Daggerfall and hoping to get Morrowind working on my laptop soon. For all it's bugs, Daggerfall has been a very entertaining game, where my Nord girl has become a wereboar and excels in since-abolished skills like climbing, swimming and hand-to-hand. I kind of wish Bethesda would re-establish some of this old content and forgotten skills, and make their games harder again. Even with high difficulty, Skyrim never felt as challenging to me and while I love it a lot for the aesthetic and lore, it doesn't feel as dark and frightening as the older games in the series were. Never liked Oblivion much though, too bright and cartoony, plus ugly faces.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
I can hope they make a new engine before elder scrolls 6 but the way its looking I doubt it.

According to the grapevine they plan on using the same engine as FO4 and the failure of a game they released with multiplayer failout. It's not looking good for Bethesda to say the least after what they pulled even more recently. Great way to make a game development company crash and burn. All I can say is wonderful job in destroying their own reputation, I doubt I'll be picking up the next game they decide to vomit out their asses even though I love the Elderscroll series. So glad I steered clear of FO76.

Remember the paid mods fiasco they pulled back in 2013 or was it 2014? anyways it's that all over again with the playerbase turning against the company, only this time they aren't listening and from what I can see are going to reap what they sow.

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
I can forgive Bethesda for not wanting to spend the money, time and effort in updating their engine.

What I cannot forgive is the anti-consumer travesty that is Fallout 76.
  • Sales of the game moved from Steam and other digital download services to Bethesda.net
  • They use Digital River as their bill processor, same company that handled bill processing for GTA: Online. It is a shady company.
  • Lo and behold after confining their latest release to beth.net walled garden there are suddenly NO REFUNDS. LMAO
  • Fallout 76 is basically an asset-flipped game using resources from FO3, FO:NV and FO4 + their DLCs.
  • For a pseudo-MMO, the game has ZERO security. Critical files are stored on the clientside and aren't even encrypted.
  • If you were stupid enough to buy the $200 Collector's Edition, you got a nylon bag to go with your crappy Made in China plastic T-45 helmet instead of the advertised canvas bag.
  • To make up for this, Bethesda offered a consolation price of 500 atoms in-game currency. 500 atoms is worth $5 USD. LMAO
  • "Influencers" we're given FO76 Collector's Editions that came with the canvas bag.
  • If you were stupid enough to accept this counter-offer any further claims against the collector's edition you might have are now gone.
  • Despite being a piece of shit game, it placed 4th place in sales the month it was released. Not bad considering it went up against RDR2, CoD Blops 4, etc.
  • Beth.net support and ticket system had a critical flaw that allowed anyone to view the private beth.net info of anyone that submitted a help ticket.
  • Bethesda fan-bois will defend all of this.
TL;DR Todd Howard is a liar

Linarahn

Jan 6, 2017
I can forgive Bethesda for not wanting to spend the money, time and effort in updating their engine.
It's not like they absolutely had to stick to an in-house engine except to save money on royalties to the engine's devs. Even the current engine is basically someone else's at the core that was so heavily modified it became Bethesda's own over the years.

They could do that again. Nobody says they should code a new one from the ground up like Squeenix does. But it'd help if they brought something new to the table, other than new anti-consumer practices.

OatmealNookie

Nov 22, 2016
Not sure why this is still on the first page, but I'll add my 2 caps.
The answer is they can't.
Bethesda is not, and has never been a real video game company.
They're a glorified D&D group that has enough bank to hire artist, rent an engine, borrow their wives for voice acting, and hire one or two script kiddies to make it all kind of work some of the time.
With the disgraceful profits they made on Skyrim, not hiring real hardcore code monkeys to write their own in house engine to do exactly what they need tells you everything you need to know about their capabilities.
They won't change because Sturgeon's Law applies to both their customers, and their customers expectations, the herd will continue to buy whatever gruel they churn out because it's what they deserve.