What's the official word on language barriers?

balitz Method

Aug 13, 2016
Is everyone assumed to be using translators (that, presumably, can also project a speaker's voice into the listener's native tongue in cases where people are speaking to natives without access to that sort of tech) in most cases?

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
Is everyone assumed to be using translators (that, presumably, can also project a speaker's voice into the listener's native tongue in cases where people are speaking to natives without access to that sort of tech) in most cases?
From the ant planet's specific mention of the translators, the device that the PC uses translates spoken and heard words, with only one word ever seeming to have problems.

Reactions: CloudStriker

Lancer

Nov 1, 2016
Nonsense, everyone is speaking English, the Universe's Universal Language.
Shekka explains, “I was pretty young when my tribe moved in. I can still remember huddling in a leaky old cave around the warmth of a dozen half-repaired generators at night. Luckily, one of our neighboring tribes, the Gyss, found the Nova while foraging. They wanted to make it their home, but there were too many sydians inside for them to take on their own, not to mention all the aquiara inside.”

“Aquiara?” you wonder.

“Sorry, the translators are still playing catch-up with some of our slang. I’m surprised you understand so many of the idioms I’ve been throwing out,” Shekka dutifully apologizes. “I think most rushers have taken to calling them... gray... goo? Something like that.”

You tip your head to let her know that you understand now.

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
The PC also seems to know the alphabets of a few different languages, and expects as much of the random fuckslut that is Del.
I think it's more the translator intercepting visual signals and changing them. I recall reading it like that somewhere in the game. That or it's the Codex and doing a Google Translate App thing where it reads the text and outputs it in Standard/English.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Well good it's not Farscape way of using translator. Thou that not actualy so painfull and harmfull anyway. But as been said it's all about super advanced Google Translate App used by all in the known universe ^^

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
I think it's more the translator intercepting visual signals and changing them. I recall reading it like that somewhere in the game. That or it's the Codex and doing a Google Translate App thing where it reads the text and outputs it in Standard/English.
It's not visual signals, the PC has Del "writing" out the symbols for the languages whilst preforming cunilingus on the PC.

balitz Method

Aug 13, 2016
I'm less concerned with the PC since they have the broad "nanomachines, son" excuse to fall back on. Mentions of translators are so rare that I feel like this was the work of authors here and there wanting to use a translation hiccup in their work and having no hugely official guidelines to go by.

What I'm specifically curious about here is how the low-tech natives are understanding Space English.

Reactions: DarkfireKurai

NotYouNorI

Aug 26, 2015
What I'm specifically curious about here is how the low-tech natives are understanding Space English.
The don't, however Steele's "nanomachines, son" translate everything they say to the appropriate language as they speak.

To think, this would probably confuse any alien trying to read Steele's lips.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
My guess, your codex is right there with you the whole time, hell the thing pretty much is a hand held super computer that has tons to functions and features. Freaking thing has a built in environmental scanner, proximity scanner, biological scanner. Who's to say the bloody thing doesn't have a universal translator installed in it.

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
In a broader sense, I mean. Like when Penny is conversing with the Zill prisoners.
Same as with rushers/normal colonists not getting all the new and exciting diseases from their contacts with newly discovered alien bioms, I mostly subscribe to Couch's 'basic nanomachines for everyone, son' theory.

Oh, that's an easy one:

ZQtBK77.png

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Going with translating bacteria would be easier to explalin and not like some sci-fi use dit already. So then each carrier of it will have all those odd sounds of other aliens translated directly into their cortex and no need to try come with way to imitate aline languages. Cuz nanomachines may be good but waht? Their will amke PC emits the same sounds that would form any alien race language it meets? It would be I think in case of been on some space bar to even change on fly articulation few times in a hour of spent there :p

Lancer

Nov 1, 2016
Going with translating bacteria would be easier to explalin and not like some sci-fi use dit already. So then each carrier of it will have all those odd sounds of other aliens translated directly into their cortex and no need to try come with way to imitate aline languages. Cuz nanomachines may be good but waht? Their will amke PC emits the same sounds that would form any alien race language it meets? It would be I think in case of been on some space bar to even change on fly articulation few times in a hour of spent there :p
What you've suggested for the bacteria to do is what the nanomachines are supposed to do.

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
It's not visual signals, the PC has Del "writing" out the symbols for the languages whilst preforming cunilingus on the PC.
Not specifically referring to Del scenes in my reply. Don't even know what Del scenes include.

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
Not specifically referring to Del scenes in my reply. Don't even know what Del scenes include.
Well, yeah, it's got mentioned several times how PC's translators allow them to read native written languages, though it doesn't work 100% consistently, IIRC.

As for Del, it's not exactly the case of him reading or writing in Ausar... Here is the scene:
You let yourself give a little moan as the trap-slut goes down on you, tongue delving deep between your folds. “That’s it, girl... Now, why don’t we have you do the alphabet?”

“Again?” Deliliah groans, coming up for air, “I think I got the idea.”

You tsk your tongue. “Fine, then maybe you’d rather I bend you over this bar and see if that duster will fit up your pussy, huh?”

“Alright, alright,” she cries, getting to work.

Nice and slow, your subby slut starts to do as you commanded, tongue working out a great big “A” in the lips of your slime cunt. You glance over your shoulder, to the rigid stiffy poking out from beneath the hem of Deliliah’s skirt. Something in your memory jogs a thought about positive reinforcement, and you reach under the bar to pick up the feather duster hanging on a nail. Nice. You reach behind your waspish quarters, teasing along her flat stomach until you feel the soft feathers brushing the silky skirt... and then something nice and hard.

Delilah reacts instantly, legs twitching and tongue freezing as you brush her little cock. “Who told you to stop?”

In return, you stop your brush mid-stroke, the head of her cock entombed in a bed of feathers. With a soft groan, the trappy bartender starts to move her tongue again, forming “M” and “N,” the tops of those letters treading awful close to your pleasure-buzzer, sending shivers up your spine. You return the favor, circling her cock with your duster, even reaching back to tease her balls and thighs when she gets to a delightfully slow “Q” and “R.”

“You just keep getting better at this,” you grin, taking pride in your work on Beth’s newest toy. “Now, make me cum, and I’ll do the same for you.”

That’s all the encouragement she needs to lunge for “Z,” tongue working deeper and deeper into your cunt, face getting more and more drenched with your excitement as her talented tongue works its wonders. You decide to give her a little reward, relaxing yourself and letting go, trying to cum by the time she hits that final letter. Waspish sides bucking and chest heaving with your quickening breath, you find yourself on the precipice before you know it, and just as her tongue forms the back of the “Z,” your scaly cunt starts to contract, all but trapping her tongue between its walls as you start to climax, throwing your head back with a cry of pleasure as Delilah’s face is plastered with girlcum.

But you’re not letting her off the hook this early. Shuddering, you try to recover yourself as the trap’s head rests back, thinking herself done. Not quite!

“That was the English alphabet,” you grin, swinging around to a reverse-cowgirl post over her head. “Now let’s see about the Ausar alphabet.”

Your thighs are nice and drenched, but it doesn’t stop your oral protege from going back to work, now half-mad from lust and pleasure as you start back on her cock, one hand wrapping around her tiny little trap-sack as the other dusts off her glans, wiping away the accumulated pre-seed on its tip. The two of you soon come to something of a rhythm: for every curve of the flowing ausar script, another squeeze of the sack or a flick of the featherduster. Your pace picks up as she gets closer and closer to the edge, hips twitching up as you squeeze and massage her balls, steadily milking out what promises to be a nice, big load from the trappy whore-to-be.

balitz Method

Aug 13, 2016
Sounds like there's not really a hard answer for this/it's usually written around.

Basically I wanted to know if Space Magic translators that can decrypt newly discovered alien languages or some other plot device was a standard sort of thing or if a NPC without any specialized "explorer/rusher equipment" that only certain individuals could be expected to have would logically have difficulties communicating with natives.

Lancer

Nov 1, 2016
Sounds like there's not really a hard answer for this/it's usually written around.

Basically I wanted to know if Space Magic translators that can decrypt newly discovered alien languages or some other plot device was a standard sort of thing or if a NPC without any specialized "explorer/rusher equipment" that only certain individuals could be expected to have would logically have difficulties communicating with natives.
Given the way the codex puts together it's data entries (pulling information from all over the extranet, even from places that aren't open to the public, e.x. the Maia series A.I. entry) and how Steele didn't immediately get a translated version of Shekka's slang term, it is likely that the codex has no real-time decryption program in it's current state.

That could just mean it doesn't have one available as an upgrade though, that thing seems to be able to do everything a tablet possibly can.

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF

The computing power needed to even semi-successfully analyze, decode and categorize a new alien language seems way outside the capabilities of any commonly carried device we have seen in the game so far. It requires not necessarily specialized equipment - after all, premium and even just relatively expensive AIs used in ships and androids are described to have a lot of processing powere - but specialized software.

As for difficulties in communicating with the natives, none of the colonists or rushers have any when it comes to the already studied languages, outside of minor issues here and there. And due to PC never really being a part pf the first wave of exploration or hearing much details about it, we don't really have any details on that.

Last edited:

balitz Method

Aug 13, 2016
Realistically it would, yeah, but functionally something like that must be in place since people other than Steele manage to communicate with natives. My wonder is whether the assumption is that rushers and only rushers would be expected to have this special "something" that allows for realtime communication with an alien species that was discovered months ago in-universe or whether it would be something that any and every sort of person could be expected to have.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
There wasn't anywhere stated that nanomachines that PC got made it brain translate all this sounds, gibberish and etc. from aliens into perfect English or was it stated in such way?

Lancer

Nov 1, 2016
Well seeing as nothing else is implanted in Steele that could provide such a real-time translation, the nanomachines providing that function is really the only logical conclusion.

NotYouNorI

Aug 26, 2015
Actually, it has been stated in scenes here and there that the nanomachines are doing the translating.

Last edited:
Reactions: CloudStriker

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
When we get to getting implanted brain slugs (well assuming tht idea for getting psi powers wil be used anyway) or cyberimplants (also in past meantioned way to get psi pwers) it could be then pushed into one of those explanation from general it's a mag....nanomacines in your body son/daughter.

OnyxDrakkenblade

Jul 1, 2016
IT'S TEH BABEL FISH . . . . FROM THE BBC MINI-SERIES!!!!!!!!!!!ONE1!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!

When we get to getting implanted brain slugs (well assuming tht idea for getting psi powers wil be used anyway) or cyberimplants (also in past meantioned way to get psi pwers) it could be then pushed into one of those explanation from general it's a mag....nanomacines in your body son/daughter.
It's . . . A . . . Babel Fish! If the Vogons have em EVERYONE has em. And if the Vogons can't find some way to charge you for them . . . then no one can. Thusly they must be soooooooooo ubiquitous that they are worthless in value while being priceless in function. Therefore EVERYONE has access to Babel Fish and so much so that NO ONE every even bothers to mention them. It's like saying, "Look that person over there has appendages!"

<.< . . . . . . . . . . >.> . . . . . . . . . ooo0.0ooo . . . . . . . . . . That's my story officer, and I'm stickin' to it.