What exactly was the "crit nerf?"

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
The Critical damage multiplier was way higher than it was intended to be, so once this was realized (via the favorite means of 'Hey, I found a build that can beat Kas at Winter City!' that has also highlighted other things in need of a nerf) it got reduced. This applies to enemy crits as well, so less instances of the player getting deleted by an unlucky roll.

You can find the patch notes for the biggest combat overhauls here and here, though you won't find things like exact numbers for the equipment changes short of comparing them for yourself.

Reactions: desmosome

desmosome

Jun 23, 2020
The Critical damage multiplier was way higher than it was intended to be, so once this was realized (via the favorite means of 'Hey, I found a build that can beat Kas at Winter City!' that has also highlighted other things in need of a nerf) it got reduced. This applies to enemy crits as well, so less instances of the player getting deleted by an unlucky roll.

You can find the patch notes for the biggest combat overhauls here and here, though you won't find things like exact numbers for the equipment changes short of comparing them for yourself.
It doesn't seem to list anything about crit multiplier. By chance, do you know what the multiplier was before the nerf and what it is now?

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
The crit nerf was some time before the Big Combat Rebalancing, almost two years ago now; the damage numbers were so absurd that it was a 'we want to fix this now and not wait on the big rebalancing' situation, especially since it made bosses like Whisper and Alissa much more luck-dependant than they were intended to be. I don't have the exact before and after combat math.

Shrike675

Apr 8, 2021
Iirc, crit damage was multiplied twice instead of just once or something to that effect. Unfortunately I can't find the exact post since Balak has left the fen server. In addition, it was technically not a nerf, just a coding mistake that was making crits do more damage than what was intended.

Baggrin

May 16, 2019
Previously, crits gave an additional 100 AP plus your triple Cunning:

At some point, the bonus became 50 plus double Cunning, but I find it difficult to name the exact moment. Based on my vague recollection, I'd say it was somewhere between 0.3.20 and 0.3.27.

Further to version 0.4.12, it was noticed that crits are stronger than expected:

It seems that one of the developers said something about unplanned increasing the power of crits by 50%, but I don't remember exactly and I'm frankly not a master of prooflinks.

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
can't believe viv ded
Balak just uses the Savin Discord server exclusively rather than split his time between the two like some other devs do. Either way, his previous statements on the old Discord are now very difficult to find.