What do demons do with the souls they steal?

Mad Dog

Jun 1, 2018
Do they eat them? Make them their own? What do they actually do with them?

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
It depends. As Kasyrra says, you can consume them for a power boost but there's all sorts of things you can do with lethicite so there's incentive to keep a stockpile of the stuff for later use. She has a number of the crystals she wears as jewelry.

For example, Kasyrra gives the Champion a crystal of it which is how we're able to unlock the waystones and (eventually) her dream palace if you're on that path.
That particular piece is implied to be Kas' own soul.

Mad Dog

Jun 1, 2018
It depends. As Kasyrra says, you can consume them for a power boost but there's all sorts of things you can do with lethicite so there's incentive to keep a stockpile of the stuff for later use. She has a number of the crystals she wears as jewelry.

For example, Kasyrra gives the Champion a crystal of it which is how we're able to unlock the waystones and (eventually) her dream palace if you're on that path.
That particular piece is implied to be Kas' own soul.
This brings up another question.

Can a demon steal the souls of another demon? I don't mean their personal souls since demons by definition don't have one. What I mean is the souls they devoured to power up. Do demons get stronger by killing stronger demons?

Also how did Kas get her own soul back? I know she managed to get the demon that originally turned her. But did she sift through all the souls that demon ate to find her own? Did that demon not ear her soul and just wore it as jewelry?

Tide Hunter

May 4, 2019
Also how did Kas get her own soul back? I know she managed to get the demon that originally turned her. But did she sift through all the souls that demon ate to find her own? Did that demon not ear her soul and just wore it as jewelry?
If I recall correctly, there was a doc which laid out the history of Kas. I don't know if it's still canon or has changed since I read it, but from what I remember...
The demon that turned her was Kass's mother, the very first demon. Kass killed her immediately after being turned.

Wint3rRyd3r

Feb 14, 2021
This brings up another question.

Can a demon steal the souls of another demon? I don't mean their personal souls since demons by definition don't have one. What I mean is the souls they devoured to power up. Do demons get stronger by killing stronger demons?

I don't remember CoC1 ever implying that demons could do that so I think it's safe to assume that eating the soul makes it merge with and mutate their body. If you've played Knights of the Old Republic 2, and especially did the darkside path, It's like that I believe.

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
They play a celestial version of Yu-Gi-Oh.

Demon 1: "I call on the power of Famous Person We All Like!"
Demon 2: "I call on the power of Twitter Mob!"
Demon 1: "Oh no, not the Vocal Minority! I'm dooooomed!"

Last edited:

Mad Dog

Jun 1, 2018
I just thought of something.

Don't the Kitsune have a single collective soul? What would happen if a powerful demon like Kas or Mareth managed to bypass Keros and devoured that collective soul?

Would all the Kitsune turn into demons? Would said demon become a God?

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
I just thought of something.

Don't the Kitsune have a single collective soul? What would happen if a powerful demon like Kas or Mareth managed to bypass Keros and devoured that collective soul?

Would all the Kitsune turn into demons? Would said demon become a God?
Kitsune technically are already demons. Only exception is the Champ.

Mad Dog

Jun 1, 2018
Kitsune technically are already demons. Only exception is the Champ.
Isn't that because their souls don't inhabit their bodies? They still have them.

What I was wondering was what would happen to the Kitsune if their collective soul was devoured and what would happen to the demon who devoured it. The demon would already have to be pretty strong like Kas or Mareth. Would that giant soul turn them into a Demon God? Would the Kitsune just spontaneously transform into real demons?

Mad Dog

Jun 1, 2018
Suicide via eating. Not a fun way to go.

Would that happen to every demon?

Also, do gods like Keros and Lumia have a soul?
I know that they're basically super wraiths but does that mean they have a soul? If yes, does Keros' keep his soul with the rest of the Kitsune?

Last edited:

HeyJune

Feb 22, 2021
Isn't that because their souls don't inhabit their bodies? They still have them.

The Kitsune do have a collective soul outside of their bodies, but they still need the occasional top off from other beings (or each other, technically.) On the other hand, they do possess a moral compass/empathy while "true" demons don't so it's kind of a borderline case. If the Champion becomes one, Keros is holding onto the Champion's soul for the moment while we run around with a decoy so Kassyra doesn't notice - a decoy apparently good enough the Champion doesn't need to feed from others like Kitsune do.

Salomon

Jun 17, 2019
Curitiba, Paraná, Brasil
The Kitsune do have a collective soul outside of their bodies, but they still need the occasional top off from other beings (or each other, technically.) On the other hand, they do possess a moral compass/empathy while "true" demons don't so it's kind of a borderline case. If the Champion becomes one, Keros is holding onto the Champion's soul for the moment while we run around with a decoy so Kassyra doesn't notice - a decoy apparently good enough the Champion doesn't need to feed from others like Kitsune do.
And mainly, so that Fen and co do not have to rewrite the entire code of the game and the scenes just to suit a TOTALLY kitsune Champion!

Reactions: ShySquare