What did you guys do for this quest?

CrowgoesCaw

Jul 14, 2016
In fazquest, did you guys take the bribe or free the gold myr? I'm doing the quest right now and wondering what I should do. I never really went to many of Fazian's shows but it seems like the right thing to do. I'm curious though as to what others did.

eveoflife

Aug 29, 2015
I removed them before they could damage the Red Myr name any further. I don't know what will happen, but actions like that would only cement the ill rumors placed on Red Myr. Just hope it didn't smudge there name already.

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
If I design obviously evil choices, I want it to have hard, objective gain. Black and white decisions that are "balanced" in RPGs always massively frustrate me, because there's no reason to go black unless you're playing as Dick Dastardly. Even with the money offered though, I find it very difficult to believe many players went with that option.

On the other hand,

I removed them before they could damage the Red Myr name any further. I don't know what will happen, but actions like that would only cement the ill rumors placed on Red Myr. Just hope it didn't smudge there name already.

players often frame their choices in ways that are completely bizarre to me, so maybe I'm completely wrong about that and most people really did sell the peacock up the river.

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
Nah, I freed Fazian. Don't see the point of taking the bribe when money isn't all that important at that stage in the game.

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
If I design obviously evil choices, I want it to have hard, objective gain. Black and white decisions that are "balanced" in RPGs always massively frustrate me, because there's no reason to go black unless you're playing as Dick Dastardly. Even with the money offered though, I find it very difficult to believe many players went with that option.

Yeah, even when designers decide to allow Good options to not have any kind of gameplay reward behind them and thus gimp the PC (like in Lisa: The Painful RPG), it usually just make it into a 'earn your happy ending' scenario and result in more grinding.

In the end, the devs/writers can't really make the player feel the weight of an in-game choice past doing their best to present something worth getting invested into the characters and the setting, and that is sometimes governed by weird reasoning. Like for example, in my eyes Fazian is worth saving over any amount of spacebucks not just because he is a cool guy, but because in my headcanon he is an undercover super agent of the Anatae Empire and my Steele wants to get some sweet spy gigs from him in the future.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
because there's no reason to go black unless you're playing as Dick Dastardly. Even with the money offered though, I find it very difficult to believe many players went with that option.

Loads of people do just that, though. Or try to. That's why you have all those silly old D&D CRPGs where every dialogue branch has to have the token "Kick the puppy" option to accommodate le chaotic evulz! :-D players.

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
Loads of people do just that, though. Or try to. That's why you have all those silly old D&D CRPGs where every dialogue branch has to have the token "Kick the puppy" option to accommodate le chaotic evulz! :-D players.

I'm not remotely interested in enabling that kind of play, though.

At least... not in a non-sexual kind of way.

eveoflife

Aug 29, 2015

On the other hand,

players often frame their choices in ways that are completely bizarre to me, so maybe I'm completely wrong about that and most people really did sell the peacock up the river.

Bizarre? What catches this as bizarre? o 3o

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015

No man, chaotic evil is lame!  My character is chaotic neutral, because they don't care about the balance between good and evil and just do what they want while helping neither side!  That's a little something called depth!

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
No man, chaotic evil is lame!  My character is chaotic neutral, because they don't care about the balance between good and evil and just do what they want while helping neither side!  That's a little something called depth!

You got close to embracing the esoteric truth of True Neutral being the best alignment, but it seems that enlightenment has passed you, dude. No biggie, just need to find some more sacred roots and shrooms.

Last edited by a moderator:

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
@Nonesuch: But if I don't accept the reward from the villagers, then surely I'll receive a legendary sword from them near the end of the game.

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
Haven't done the quest yet, but from my reading of the quest on the wiki I have to wonder why I would care to take the bribe. Not like our Steeles really need the money that badly as dear old dad has great payouts for the probes and a lot of other means are around for making money, which doesn't even touch the entire megacorp we're going to inherit.

EmperorG

Sep 6, 2015

May Satan smite every bloody fool who thinks: chaotic evil = lol I'm so random!

I once had a DnD campaign where not 1, but /3/ players decided to be idiots and derailed the  whole thing so hard we couldn't ever continue that campaign again. So many dead NPCs, and the flames.... *shudder*

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
Bizarre? What catches this as bizarre? o 3o

Because it would never have occurred to me that the top priority is "How badly is this situation going to hit the Red Myr's PR department?" And... if I had, I suppose I would sell Fazian? Seeing as that would be the option that doesn't result in a full scale riot in Kressia, and no bird getting to sing a song to the authorities.

I'm not saying how you contextualised it is wrong, it's just an example of how players will come at forks in the road in ways you'll never anticipate.

but because in my headcanon he is an undercover super agent of the Anatae Empire and my Steele wants to get some sweet spy gigs from him in the future.

Stay Tuned For Future Developments©.

TheYounger

Jan 9, 2016
Since the general consensus in the TiTS universe seems to be that slavery is distateful, I thought that taking the bribe would eventually lead to the Tarratchs or the Red Federation blackmailing Steele for it.  Being an accessory to a slavery and trafficking operation on a frontier planet would probably hurt Steele's networking chances, which isn't worth 20k.  By the way, what's a "rue collar?"

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
By the way, what's a "rue collar?"

AFAIR, Tarratch use that term for every race beside them, who doesn't have a bitching collar fuzz like they do and thus can't use it to hypnotize people. Don't know if they count deynar's rave flaps as an acceptable substitute.

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
Since the general consensus in the TiTS universe seems to be that slavery is distateful, I thought that taking the bribe would eventually lead to the Tarratchs or the Red Federation blackmailing Steele for it.  Being an accessory to a slavery and trafficking operation on a frontier planet would probably hurt Steele's networking chances, which isn't worth 20k.  By the way, what's a "rue collar?"

If you can use psionics to the same degree they can, you're right collar. If you can't, you're rue collar. Hoping I don't have to completely spell that one out.

eveoflife

Aug 29, 2015
Because it would never have occurred to me that the top priority is "How badly is this situation going to hit the Red Myr's PR department?" And... if I had, I suppose I would sell Fazian? Seeing as that would be the option that doesn't result in a full scale riot in Kressia, and no bird getting to sing a song to the authorities.

I'm not saying how you contextualised it is wrong, it's just an example of how players will come at forks in the road in ways you'll never anticipate.

*Smirks* That is just how I see things, this game has its recall moments among other games. The longer that went on, the worst it'll stain the Reds I thought. I saw there exposure as a better aid to the Reds rather then letting them go on and sell the peacock. Would've loved a option to pretend to go along and contact my favorite Red general. Let her bring it down and have no chance of bad press, but oh well.

The peacock fusses out both sides though. He squawks about it in a way I approve.

Xiokir

Dec 9, 2015
SAve the berD (and ant honey ladies)

EmperorG

Sep 6, 2015
While I do want to save the bird, I don't want the UGC being replaced by the Anatae Empire on Myrellion, so I avoid doing Fazians quest to keep the birds interests out of the region. (Like the Kuitan, I would imagine the Anatae would /love/ to have a planet full of females to breed with).

Edit: Added this since I forgot to state what I did for the quest in my earlier post

CrowgoesCaw

Jul 14, 2016
While I do want to save the bird, I don't want the UGC being replaced by the Anatae Empire on Myrellion, so I avoid doing Fazians quest to keep the birds interests out of the region. (Like the Kuitan, I would imagine the Anatae would /love/ to have a planet full of females to breed with).

Edit: Added this since I forgot to state what I did for the quest in my earlier post

Thing is. I'm not sure if this is on a timer since I'm already at the part where you're supposed to bust/sneak into the warehouse. Am I in too deep?

SorenMageofMareth

Aug 28, 2015
I haven't done the quest but would not sell Faz. 

Cause seriously that shit ain't cool and neither is the losing cover up. Every red myr I actually like as more than a fuck buddy would probably shoot me with their eyes if i didn't and the fuckbuddy might just shoot me.  though I may have her character wrong. 

Accountability is a good thing. 

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
Thing is. I'm not sure if this is on a timer since I'm already at the part where you're supposed to bust/sneak into the warehouse. Am I in too deep?

Not entirely sure about this, but I think once the quest is active (e.g. you've told Hepane you'll help) you have 3 days to complete it before it becomes permanently closed.

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
Not entirely sure about this, but I think once the quest is active (e.g. you've told Hepane you'll help) you have 3 days to complete it before it becomes permanently closed.

Looked up on github and that doesn't seem to be the case. The only way to fail in saving the bird-man, outside of selling him out or Bad Ending yourself is to accumulate enough screw up points. Do you think that having a time limit is important?

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
Looked up on github and that doesn't seem to be the case. The only way to fail in saving the bird-man, outside of selling him out or Bad Ending yourself is to accumulate enough screw up points. Do you think that having a time limit is important?

Had to look up my notes and the conversations I had with the coders to remind myself about this.

Originally I had time limits worked into this so that witnesses could say "Oh yeah, he went missing two days ago" etc. Eventually I had to discard that and rework the conversations because it put too much of an onus on the PC to stick around and see this side quest through, when most of TiTS is freeform and puts no importance on time passing whatsoever. Ideally there should be a time limit on this quest, but it's certainly not important enough to rework now.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Well there is time limit in Seandra 2nd quest but it's around week long time limit to continue with the quest. Also with myr queens and revolution wjen PC get info about meeting around set time on plaza it's also timed quest part there.